Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This "massive" online multiplayer game is not a MMO!!!!

ChaosIncChaosInc Member Posts: 112

I was browsing around the forums at work and have finally become sick of seeing this common mistake in game classification.

Guild Wars isn't an MMO, the devs have even stated such.

This is the one I spotted today that finally itched me enough to scratch this topic. The devs are just as wrong as the players.

Ok, so what is it?

Let's break this down, initial by initial:

M: Massive
It's really up to the devs and/or players to what "massive" really consists of.  How big the world is?  How complicated/intricate/expandable the skill system is?  How many players there are?  What defines "massive"??!?!
M: Multiplayer
Let's see, there are a lot of online games out there, including Guild Wars.  Hundreds/Thousands/Millions of people play it together.  Pretty self explanatory there.
O: Online
Pretty sure that in order to play with all those other hundreds/thousands/millions of players that you're connected to the internet.  Either that or you have successfully organized the largest gaming WAN on the planet composed of primarily your personal friends. You should be working for NASA.

Looks like GW fits this just fine, including several other games.  You can even apply this to the Rock Band series.  I'd say it's pretty massive (ever take a look at the number of DLs available?)   Definitely multiplayer and can be played online.  Guess what folks?  That's right, Rock Band, by definition, is an MMO.

Upcoming flame response:

Rock Band can be played solo, so you fail.

True, but so can every other game can be played "solo" as well.  WoW addicts/elitists/fanbois tend to call them "the casuals", from who I'm expecting this response to come from.

The term "MMO" has been misused for so long that people seem to have confused themselves into believing that MMO = MMORPG. There is a difference people, believe it or not. MMO is not synonymous with WoW/WAR/Aion/<insert other fantasy MMORPG here> style gaming. I'd guesstimate that at least 80% of games today are MMOs. They're all "massive" (again, up for argument) online games that you can play with others. Hell, my kid just loaded up Mario Cart for the Wii while I'm writing this. I'd say that game is pretty "massive" and can be played with other players from around the world at the same time. Again, this meets the definition of an MMO. Is it an MMORPG? Um, not by a long shot. And this is my point.

So for the love of whatever god you believe in people, learn your terminology before trying to use it as an argument. Each time I see "such and such multiplayer online game isn't an MMO" makes me want to smack the poster with a slice of bologna.

Now, in typical mmorpg.com fashion, let the elitists/know-it-alls/kiddies start their flaming troll responses now.

NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ok let me clear some cloud of doubt here by any game maker intending to ARGUE THIS

MULTIPLAYER= the size of the game and the fact you can play with others

MASSIVE=the size of battle (can include the size of the world but for player its always the size of battle

and its always compared to the boss of sandbox eve online ,be instanced or not doesnt mather much but to be considered a massive game tyou have to have lot of player on any given map,instance,phaze jita or watchemacallit!

so  1700 player in jita is the standard then this means the massive have to be around that it cound be 1000 or it could be 2000(aika)but nothing lower then a 1000 player /map,instance ,phaze or jita will be considered massive

every self respecting gamer will just call it multiplayer game as massive always pertain to the size of possible battle

and if game maker made an affort for those massive battle to happen or made an effort to not happen

blizzard had them(world raid pvp dragon)they were massive multiplayer online blizzard had to boot the massive part of the equation because back then they didnt have any clue how to cope with the number .i bet today they would still instance but they would make sure no to have battle capacity lower then a 1000 to make sure they arent branded by gamer community as a multiplayer game.there are 1000 of multiplayer game nowadays but there arent many massive multiplayer game and i can tell you its one of the first question gamer ask between themselves is it a massive multiplayer (eve,aika)or is it a multiplayer game

(wow and all the other )

every game maker want to include their game as being massive because their world is huge ,sorry buddy thats not why gamer started using massive in the first place and gamer miight have to use another name because of gaming company trying to blurr the meanning into thinking a chess game can be massive because its big but thats not why gamer added massive to multiplayer online!

• LazerouLazerou Member Posts: 202

I really think that all three terms have to be taken together, not in isolation. Can all the players that want to play Rock Band online all play together in the one instance of the game? I have no idea, but I can make a pretty good guess.

Even something like Diablo was not an MMO because you could only have 8 people per instanced game - this is not massively multiplayer.

Whereas the games that people consider MMOs (regardless of the RPG part) are games like WoW where thousands of people can all be playing in the one persistent world together.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Ut 99 is not considered an MMO,yet it has the ability to offer more of an MMO experience than WOW does.

Reason,is you get the tools to make and do whatever you wan with the game.You also control the server,heck you can make instances of 1500 if your server can handle it.

IMO this is the trend developers should aim for,allow players to create the content,by giving them the tools.The best part ,is that if this trend really took off,nobody would need Blizzard and their cheap WOW instances anymore,we could all make the same thing and better.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

You're indeed right! It's a MOM.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Guild Wars is not an MMORPG and you don't understand the terminology.

the first M in MMORPG does not stand for Massive, it stands for Massively. The term is connected, Massively Multiplayer.

This means that you're playing with a big amount of players at the same time in the same persistent world. This excludes games like Guild Wars because you're not playing in the same persistent world. Everytime you enter a play area, you will be in a seperate game world.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

its not a mmorpg. Its really in a genre all its own if you want to get technical.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Gameloading

the first M in MMORPG does not stand for Massive, it stands for Massively. The term is connected, Massively Multiplayer.

This means that you're playing with a big amount of players at the same time in the same persistent world. This excludes games like Guild Wars because you're not playing in the same persistent world. Everytime you enter a play area, you will be in a seperate game world.

So by that logic, that means 2 things..

EVE is like the only MMORPG, since its one of only a few with just 1 massive persistend world/server. Any game (including WoW) that has servers makes them non MMO cause picking a different server = entering a different world.

If a game launches with 100k players, its is an MMORPG, but the game dies and only 10 players are left, it is no longer massive because there arent lots of people, and so it magically becomes a whole different genre of game instead of an MMORPG, not by game design or anything.....

• namrog187namrog187 Member Posts: 7

My 2 cents from a hardcore & Casual gamer

MMO to me personally means

1000+ players capable of being in a single online only world.

Can by my definition it have singleplayer... yes it can, but it is SEPERATE mode than previously mentioned

can it have smaller scale multiplayer, sure why not.

Can it have less than a 1000 players,  sure so long as its capable of having 1000+ at a single moment, in the same world.

If it does not meet the 1000, I just consider it a huge online game,  such as some counterstrike servers have 64 vs 64 players

or perhaps mag or whatever that new PS3 game has 100v100?  or is it 250v250? I Forget.  Those are not by my definition a MMO

but by very nature, potential of 1000 people online simultaneously in the same world, will therefore translate to persistent, because 1000+ players, chances are there will always be a few people of those 1000 online at a any given time, thereby making it persistent indirectly. As I did not include persistent online in my definition, I think by 1000 players, it indirectly implies persistent

just my 2 cents

• Mattyb710Mattyb710 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

EVE is like the only MMORPG, since its one of only a few with just 1 massive persistend world/server. Any game (including WoW) that has servers makes them non MMO cause picking a different server = entering a different world.

If a game launches with 100k players, its is an MMORPG, but the game dies and only 10 players are left, it is no longer massive because there arent lots of people, and so it magically becomes a whole different genre of game instead of an MMORPG, not by game design or anything.....

First off, I think you are trolling. Nobody can be this ignorant by accident, but I'll address your points.

No, EVE would not be considered the only MMORPG simply because it's the biggest and has 1 world. The 2k+ people on split servers would be plenty to call a game massively multiplayer.

Secondly, if a game launced with 100k players, and is a "MMORPG" in the way it's been defined already in this thread and then the game loses all it's players then it becomes a failed MMORPG. You don't change the genre simply because people choose not to play it.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

It doesn't have to be one persisten world. A game needs to offer the player to be able to play the game with a big number of players in the same persistent world, which all mmorpgs do. So say, adding an instanced dungeon doesn't mean a game stops being an mmorpg.

A game can be considered an mmorpg when it hypothetically allows for a massive amount of people to play in the same persisten world. How many people are actually playing is irrelevant.

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

I think the difference I perceive for an MMO is that I see "Massive Multiplayer Online" as one phrase not to be broken down. My direct definition of that is there are a ton (massive) of people (multiplayer) online at one time.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

yep !i ve been saying it for a while and lot of other poster too!the massivelly or massive part ,company have been trying very hard to bring player into mo and make them think they are playing a mmo but so far lot of player just get angry .ask an eve gm to stream in HD(1080)AN EVENT of 1700 player in jita you ll se what is massive

most like wow should just name themselves multiplayer your massive in only one map thats in the city while nothing is going on try to be massive anywhere in wow be it instanced or not and it lag

the closest thing to massive is their 700 player total on wintergrasp and its mostly ignored lol.

gear is higher then there no point to go there .

as some other pointed out massive is when lot of player /map can duke it out without too much lag

eve is massive ,wow isnt massive

aika is massive probably others but you get the idea