Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploration...

darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

What I mean by the title of this thread is--how much can you go off the beaten path and explore in this game? I've read a couple of reviews lately that state that for the most part, you are basically following a set path (like a road or whatnot) to get from A to B, and you don't really get to wander off and explore the beautiful scenery in the game.

How accurate is this?

Comments

• Gats2k6Gats2k6 Member Posts: 190

yea it is kinda like that but you don't run into a invisible wall more like a mountain or valley :P but not all the time its not a-b sometimes its a-c or a-d there can be many paths in a explorable area i found 3 differents paths to different zones i can go into

• KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

Of course there are paths. What do you want, nothing but a big open field? There is all sorts of terrain, and all sorts of things in that terrain. Not all terrain can be passable ..unless it's a big open area (which can also be found gw). There are always going to be paths in any game, as it can not be infinite open space. Real life is full of paths too. I can't go to work just any damn way I please, I go the way that get's me there. Now, as in GW, there isn't necessarily only one way. There are multiple paths all over the place, some intersect, some go other places, some obvious, and some very easily over-looked. Mission maps will of course tend to be more linear, but even they are usually far from direct, and then there are the secondary quests which will lead you more places still. There is vast explorable area all over the place. Lot's of land to cover, and lots of interesting things to find if you look.

Anyone who tries to paint this game has having no exploration is seriously misrepresenting it.

• gsonoxgsonox Member Posts: 121

Most of the time when I played alone, when my friend wasn´t there, I explored. There are quite vast areas which you can explore and you can explore quite many quest locations without having the quest in your log. And yes, you will find items, you find interesting locations and lot´s of different monsters to fight with.

I enjoyed my voyage the most, when I located some gorgeous surroundings, like Old Ascalon ruins and such.

• DonavynDonavyn Member Posts: 71

No, you don't have to follow a 'set path' in Guild Wars, however there are some limitations in the ideal of wanting to just 'wander anywhere'. There are some areas that aren't passable, but most of the area that you're exploring can indeed be explored and enjoyed.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Kartel
    Of course there are paths. What do you want, nothing but a big open field? There is all sorts of terrain, and all sorts of things in that terrain. Not all terrain can be passable ..unless it's a big open area (which can also be found gw). There are always going to be paths in any game, as it can not be infinite open space. Real life is full of paths too. I can't go to work just any damn way I please, I go the way that get's me there. Now, as in GW, there isn't necessarily only one way. There are multiple paths all over the place, some intersect, some go other places, some obvious, and some very easily over-looked. Mission maps will of course tend to be more linear, but even they are usually far from direct, and then there are the secondary quests which will lead you more places still. There is vast explorable area all over the place. Lot's of land to cover, and lots of interesting things to find if you look.Anyone who tries to paint this game has having no exploration is seriously misrepresenting it.

Yes, I realize the need for paths--that wasn't my question, you misunderstood me. In the preview I had read, it said that many times you could not even walk off of said path, which is where I had concern. Obviously from the responses I've gotten, this preview is innacurate.

For example, in one part the previewer said that while travelling down a road, you could not walk off of it to simply walk through the river that is a few feet from the road.

Stuff like that ::::20::

• ChlerubChlerub Member UncommonPosts: 21

Well, that's a valid point. There ARE indeed such "restricted" areas, meaning you can´t walk up every hill or cross any river. Sometimes you just run into an invisible wall.
    See, there is no jumping in GW, thus you can´t jump over obstacles. The only jump is possible thru an emote command, but it´s just that...and emote animation and not a "real jump".

Sometimes you can´t leave a road, mostly when it´s on a higher level of the terrain, so you can´t just leave the road and walk down to another level of the terrain.

It is restricted movement, but it becomes a ignorable issue while having fun with your comrads.

• KartelKartel Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by darquenblade

Yes, I realize the need for paths--that wasn't my question, you misunderstood me. In the preview I had read, it said that many times you could not even walk off of said path, which is where I had concern. Obviously from the responses I've gotten, this preview is innacurate.For example, in one part the previewer said that while travelling down a road, you could not walk off of it to simply walk through the river that is a few feet from the road.Stuff like that ::::20::

Trust me, it's far from train-track like limitations. You can go pretty much anywhere, within reason, including water if it's not too deep. It won't let you commit sucide by falling off steep ledges though.
  • MalicusMalicus Member Posts: 307
    I noticed the restricted linear maps as well. However I think that the devs can avoid this and probly will as they make future maps. Further on in the game (past lions arch) it becomes far less apparent and more free form. In fact I think the early maps may be this way for noobs so as not to get lost. Is definately one of the few cons to this game. Lack of jumping would be the main con imo
  • Invincible37Invincible37 Member Posts: 172
    the only zones in the game i found totally restricted(1 set path) were the mission zones.zones llike old ascalon and such  are usually pretty open or have many valleys and carved out paths to follow