Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: What do you lot think of it?

SulZeroSulZero Member Posts: 37

Hey ive found out when the officail launch of guild wars, its on April 28th and alos there are 2 more Beta Weekends before that one is on March 15th and nother on April 18th, how awesome is that.

I think that this game is great i mean come what other MMORPG ofeers all these amazing graphics and gameplay without a monthly subscription and i hope it stays that way.

Comments

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430

I like the game as well. It most likely will not be my "main" game but for a free game (monthly that is) it makes the perfect backup game. I'll be scoring it for sure ::::02::

• BennjimBennjim Member Posts: 146

Never played it so can't really comment, I have read a lot about the game, the screenshots look good but then that means nothing as so many of the screens published for MMO games are air-brushed & photoshopped to hell - why don't devs (or very rarely) publish in-game screens????

My main worry about this game is the business model? How will they be able to maintain the service when it's free to play??? And that's a BIG question that needs answering?

Finally the quest system looks real cool, I like the idea of no levelling treadmill and an end to camping - sounds almost as good as Roma Victor. ::::39::

-Benny

• SulZeroSulZero Member Posts: 37
    trsut me m8 them screenshots you see are for real necause i have played the game ever since the first beta weekend and everything they say and show is true, you will need a good graphics card to take full advantacge of them though but they are still pretty sweet even if you dont turn up the detail level
  • Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

Reminds me a lot to an upgraded version of NWN. I enjoyed it. The one thing that is off setting is that to meet new people, everyone has to be in the same town. Each personal instance will never have someone you didn't want in it.

The plus side of this is that you know that no one will Kill steal or grief you. The downside is less social interaction to someone you just met.

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749

I really think people understand that they have to buy the game, and will then have to decide whether to buy expansions.  Clearly when people refer to it as being "free to play", they mean no monthly fee.  I've seen no indication anywhere that anyone believes it's completely "free", so why you attack that escapes me =)

If they can pull it off, then, as Theely noted, it's a perfect backup or change of pace game.

And it happens to be quite entertaining.  I don't see it as a grind game at all ... it's fast, lightweight entertainment.  Have a half hour to play?  Then log in, grab a few henchmen and have some fun or hit the PvP arena and you can probably fit five fun as hell battles in during that time =)

Yes yes, I know, compared to Eve, the game you used to play, it will be child's play.  Well then let the children in us all rejoice and have fun =)

• WillJones420WillJones420 Member Posts: 263

From its description I'm not sure whether I would call Guild Wars an actual MMORPG.  It seems closer to Diablo 2, only with a glorified chat room and instanced adventures generated for groups without the hassle of other players butting in.  Did I get this right or am I missing something?  That's my only real beaf with it.  Besides this, Guild Wars does look pretty interesting. 

• WickesWickes Member UncommonPosts: 749
    That's fairly accurate - they just did a very good job on it.  It looks damned good and plays extremely well.  In some ways, it's simple, but in others it's insidious.  E.g., you can get a large number of spells and abilities, but you are very limited on how many you can bring into an instance and you can't change once you're in, so it really is quite intriguing to anaylze and play with that.  I certainly don't see that game as something you could play every night, but for a limited amount of enjoyable entertainment, it's quite good.  I think that's what they went for, and they got it done well.
  • _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by rentantilus
    The only thing more pathetic than Guild Wars (yet another fantasy class/level grind) is the fanboys who actually believe that it's free.

yep a level grind to lvl 20 then thats it....though funnily enough completing the quests gets you to around lvl 20....funny that...

if there is one thing GW is not about, its grinding. So far its taken 6 days to get to lvl 15...

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• ValaraukValarauk Member Posts: 303

Overhyped Crap

WARNING: Spelling and grammatical errors intentionally left in document to test for Anal Retentive Trolls.

"The key to wasting time is distraction. Without distractions it's too obvious to your brain that you're not doing anything with it, and you start to feel uncomfortable." - Paul Graham http://paulgraham.com/hs.html

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by Theely
    I like the game as well. It most likely will not be my "main" game but for a free game (monthly that is) it makes the perfect backup game. I'll be scoring it for sure

That sums up my view pretty well.

• ZuiljiNZuiljiN Member Posts: 19
    like some others said this game will be perfect as second mmo...its will take like 1-2 weeks to get a good lvl20 char ready for pvp so no grind at all compared to all other mmo and once your lvl20 all you have to do is enjoy your time in Tombs of the primeval kings or in GvG..and for those telling this game is not f2p cause you have to buy an expansion every 6 months well many mmo have monthly fees and force you to buy expansion..just look at daoc ffxi AO and many others so GW will be really cheap compared to all other mmo on the market and its kinda refreshing to log in GW for few hours and kick some ass in pvp when you are bored of the endless grinding on your main mmo
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

The only thing more pathetic than Guild Wars (yet another fantasy class/level grind) is the fanboys who actually believe that it's free.

Definately can get my thumbs up for most useless/inaccurate post ever. Matter of fact it was so good. I'll be nice and give it two thumbs up. It's just that usless.

::::28::::::28::

PS: I think GW is a fun game. Like two people said earlier. Maybe not main game potential, but definately a fun time killer.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SulZeroSulZero Member Posts: 37

ye this man knows what he's talking about u gotta play da game before sayin shit bout it, jus cus me an myko r at lvl 20 dere aint no reason to cry bout it, lol!!!

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I plan to get it for a back-up game eventually since there is no monthly. It will be dam nice to have a MMO or "semi" MMO that I don't have to pay a monthly on and I can play casually.

I don't think this will ever be a main game for me, but never know, I could end up there.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SicarimSicarim Member Posts: 219

I played it one weekend a long time ago. It was pretty fun, but i could tell i'd get sick of it rather quick. Just not really my style.

• sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Im not 100% sure, but i think the 40 dollar expansions every 3 months are the only means to updates too, but im not sure.
  • ThriftThrift Member Posts: 1,783
    Its ok not the best game
  • _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

no game will ever be a 'best' game, its all relative.

by all accounts the expansions will be quest expansions, hence the reason they're not mandatory. Bugs and stuff will be fixed normally - as 99% of the game is streamed patches can be applied on the fly (they simply require logging out then in again).

GW is a lot of fun, it doesnt have anywhere near the depth of say, eve-online, but thats not what its trying to do or be.

Play it, if you still hate it then fair enough. And all these GW hype/flame threads are really getting as boring as the EQ2 v WoW ones....

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...

• NecianNecian Member Posts: 73

So far I've been really impressed with the game. The addition of the Old Ascalon area was a lot of fun to play through last weekend. And the graphics are simply amazing on it, without it being too much of a drain on your system. All in all it's a lot of fun to play.

The only thing I'm worried about is, when the release finally comes around to being released, am I going to be tired of playing through the first bunch of quests and missions? That's the one kind of bad thing to being able to beta a game.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

As mentioned earlier, GW is not a real MMOG where you can interact with everyone.

It is more like NWN, basically a combination of single box meets lan, playing with a small circle of friends.

It does not appeal to me.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Jorev
    As mentioned earlier, GW is not a real MMOG where you can interact with everyone.
    It is more like NWN, basically a combination of single box meets lan, playing with a small circle of friends.
    It does not appeal to me.

Arena has labeled it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role Playing Game). Which I believe is a very accuracte genre for it. It reminds me alot of a more evolved form of Phantasy Star Online (A popular Online RPG for the DC, PC, Xbox, and GC) If Sega put more thought into the series. GW is probably exact what the PSO series could have evolved into.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Gats2k6Gats2k6 Member Posts: 190

lol nicely negative who cares if its free it is an awesome game my guess you haven't played it or you are being suckered into a "class/lvl grind" as you put it wow i've played it was a meh but guildwars has addicted me to that game of blizzard which is mostly ignorant of you
  • SponXSponX Member Posts: 33

For the first, it only took me 2 days to get to lvl 15, and the fanboys who believe that it is free, we dont believe that its free to play we KNOW that it is free! so you can just keep your mouth shut.

K THX

• DonavynDonavyn Member Posts: 71

Just a reminder about the remaining BWE's prior to release. The only people that will be allowed to participate are those who have purchased the pre-order. No friends key, or any other key except pre-order can get in.

So rush out and go get 'em, if you don't already have 'em! =)

• sdoughtysdoughty Member Posts: 149
    i think m gunna play wen the game goes gold, looks nice and is just a once of payment, will b alot better without having to patch before every mission lyk in the beta events image

Toughest rater in the world
    Try to impress me, please, i dare u