Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon is now Sub-Free

AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

Comments

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Key points:

• They distinguish between "free to play" and "subscription free": you still need to actually purchase the game to play, there's just no monthly subscription any more.
    • People who pre-purchased 3/6/12 month subscriptions get a bunch of "tribute" (cash shop currency) to compensate them for pre-paying for something that is now free.
    • One thing specifically mentioned is the ability to buy "study time": i.e. to advance your studies by spending money rather than accruing them in real time. 
  • Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I knew this was going to happen the minute I played the trial in Alganon. The game simply isn't good enough to warrant a reason for a subscription. Ah well, at least some compensation was done for those that subscribed.

Best of luck to them in the future!

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Confirmation of what we already knew after that slip-up in the forums by one of the devs.

The writing was on the wall after that.  All that was left was the details.

Unless they really come down on the price of the game, I still don't see this getting them many new people.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Confirmation of what we already knew after that slip-up in the forums by one of the devs.

The writing was on the wall after that.  All that was left was the details.

Unless they really come down on the price of the game, I still don't see this getting them many new people.

The game itself should just be free. Nothing in this game really makes you want to go out and buy it. And I hate to be so condescending, but sometimes you have to say things that hurt.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Yeah, I can't see this move actually turning around Alganon's fortunes. But then again, I can't see anything turning it around. It's simply not good enough, and I can't see how it could be made good enough without rewriting from scratch.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Wait a sec.........box price PLUS item shop?  .......................................  Personally I think that's worse than box price plus p2p.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

honestly the game shouldnt be at all i dont feel it shoulda even been introduced to the public.

maybe retooled it woulda been better but just the audacity to want ppl to preorder a game that isnt even in beta at the time for me was a death knell from the start

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

I think you can all see where this is going.

If they do not get enough income trough the cash shop, now that there is no sub fees anymore, then there will be no funding to continue with the game at all.

This game will not last long anymore, unless lots more people will give it a try and are willing to spend money trough the cash shop.

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

I was browsing through their forums and found a few statements from the Community Manager stating that the Sub-Free model was chosen over a F2P model to preserve "the best community, hands down". My question is, what community? You look at all the recent posts on their website and 75% of them are about playing other games, like Allods. Not to mention a lot of their players have stopped logging in as evidenced by some of the more recent posts. I have serious doubts that the "Official" launch in April is gonna breathe any life into this game, although at the same time I always like to hold out hope for the underdogs.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Well I saw this coming.  This will increase their numbers, but I honestly doubt it will increase them by the amount they want.  Unless the game gets a serious overhaul (which they did promise, although we will see what happens), they will probably only double the number of players at maximum (which isn't much, assuming the rumors about only 30 players playing at peak time is true), which still won't be enough.  Still, Alganon might surprise me (part of me hopes it does).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

I call T-6 months tops until closure. 

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I do commend them for realizing how bad a complete f2p model is,you really have no control over players,they will spam chat and totally ruin the community,what little it has.Alganon is stuck though,they will not gain enough subs,and most likely will not gain anything worthwhile from a cash shop.

If Alganon was a decent game it could maintain what it is trying to do,but imo it HAS to go free download with item mall,it may very well sink the game with horrid chat and unruly players,but it is their ONLY chance.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I believe this is a bad move, box plus item mall wouldn't be much appreciated by a lot of people and the existing community seems pretty upset after being screwed by their support through buying lifetime/6months subs in advance once again. The item mall is selling equipment and skills, VERY few totally f2p games do that and even that is on a small scale, this is just a bad item mall to say the least.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I normally don't go to other games forums just to say negative things about the game but.... is anyone at all surprised that this happened?

Did the developers of this game really not see how much of a failure this game would turn out to be? Even after everyone that read about the game and looked at it said "Seriously? You're going to make people pay for this?"

Sometimes it is just utterly amazing that a company can be so blind to not see how terrible of a job they are doing. It won't be long before they realize this isn't going to work either and the game will close down. Where does that rank on the fastest closing of a game?

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

I'm not surprised in the least. I thought almost exactly the same things, you used as your examples. The model they are using right now, will probably get changed too. I do not forsee enough people buying this game for them to turn any sort of profit. If they are implementing a cash shop, that's all well and good, but if no one is willing to buy your game to begin with(which is what I feel will happen) what use is your cash shop then? They need to go the RoM route, and make it F2D F2P. Otherwise, I truly believe this game will have to close its doors completely, and(I would hope) the developers surely do not want that.

• knighthonorknighthonor Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by TalRasha

If they do not get enough income trough the cash shop, now that there is no sub fees anymore, then there will be no funding to continue with the game at all.
    This game will not last long anymore, unless lots more people will give it a try and are willing to spend money trough the cash shop.

IMO this is a clue for heavy changes.

Example

MORE CLASSES AND RACES (First)

LARGE SCALE RvR between Racial Factions (Second)

Large Scale PvE Dungeons [Instanced] (Third)

World Event System for Large Scale World PvE (Forth)

This would clearly get Alganon back on the path to what it was looking for. Maybe it could beat out Guild Wars 2, who knows.

So lets all start here.

1) Suggest a Race for each Faction

2) Suggest new Class Ideas for the Game (make sure they each have some uniqueness to them, even if they share Roles)

3) Suggest a System idea for how World RvR should be handled

4) Suggest what you want from a Large Scale Instanced Dungeon for PvE

5)Suggest events that you would like to see happen in the world that bring players together as a community

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

I believe this is a bad move, box plus item mall wouldn't be much appreciated by a lot of people and the existing community seems pretty upset after being screwed by their support through buying lifetime/6months subs in advance once again. The item mall is selling equipment and skills, VERY few totally f2p games do that and even that is on a small scale, this is just a bad item mall to say the least.

This game had a lifetime sub? Hmm.. Interesting to say the least but why on earth would someone buy a lifetime sub?! I feel sorry in a way to people who bought them, but at the same time what were they thinking?

knighthonor, your enthusiasm is commendable, but come on. QOL have spent all their money. With 30 players online at peak times, it will be a miracle if the cash shop generates anything close to enough to pay even a single salary. There aren't going to be any "heavy changes".

• DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by knighthonor

Originally posted by TalRasha

IMO this is a clue for heavy changes.

Example

MORE CLASSES AND RACES (First)

They couldn't even get more than 2 races in by launch time, it will take them years to implement more than a handful more.

LARGE SCALE RvR between Racial Factions (Second)

This will never happen, their system isn't built to support RvR, it doesn't even have 1 on 1 PvP yet.

Large Scale PvE Dungeons [Instanced] (Third)

Instances are already in game I believe.

World Event System for Large Scale World PvE (Forth)

Just predefined events. That will be the best they have.

What you are asking for will require a complete overhaul of their system and I honestly don't think it will happen anytime soon, if at all. I don't expect them to expand much over their current population and some contraction will occur when the item shop actually goes live.

Almighty Dollar 1, MMORPG.com members 0!
    Blog