Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hows sentient fate?

ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

Hi all, Just wondered how the new expansion is going. Is it anything like Kunark and Faydwer or is it more like TSO?

Is there a good balance between solo and group play?

Any info is good:)

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

it's actually like a mix of RoK & TSO.   There seems to be a lot more solo quests and exploration than there was in TSO.  But at the same time, the instances / shards are back with (i think) 12 new group instances of varying difficulty.

There is also a shared dungeon - the hole - which like it's name, is just a massive joke.  It's full of heroic (group) mobs that can be easily soloed so is mainly used as an XP grinding ground to get people to level very quickly.  

Overall, it's a decent expansion, except for being way too easy.  More than half of the instanced raid encounters have already been killed even by casual guilds.  The hole as mentioned is extremely easy, the solo content has the difficulty of newbie island.  Most of the instances are also very easy, although there are a couple that are harder.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Were new races or anything introduced? If this expansion was deemed to be very excellent, it might inspire me to dust off my EQII account.

no new races.  level cap has been raised to 90.  (the extremely unnecessary) battlegrounds were also introduced.

it's too early to deem it excellent.  most people think it's far too easy and because everyone can just make 90 in a few hours in the hole, there is a lot less action and motivation to do other content such as the instances.

it's quite awesome looking, smoe of the best looking instances zones in eq2 (abandoned labs is my new fav zone in the game!)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Its all right. I was expecting to enjoy it more than I am. I don't know why I'm not enjoying it much.

I also haven't played it much yet so that might be part of the reason. We just got a 40 inch lcd 1080p tv so I've been a little distracted with playing mass effect 2 on our xbox 360.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

well it is TSO + alittle solo questing+ the hole for faction grinding(dont know what those factions gives yet)  and even by quests if you are active player you ll do 80- 90 by doing those within 1-2 weeks.

and yes it is far too easy, am certain this expansion will kill the rest of the HC players, unless they somehow enjoy the BGs so much they will stick to the game.....ooor ofc if SOE add some content extremely fast.   saying this since the most HC guilds already is done with more than half the raid encounters.

well over all enjoy it for now, there is afew fun fights in the heroics, just expecting it to be a very short lived expansion to someone like me,,,,,yay for VERY casual gameplay ; thats good for my guild, but not for the "hardcore"

• rangbandrangband Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Hedeon

well it is TSO + alittle solo questing+ the hole for faction grinding(dont know what those factions gives yet)  and even by quests if you are active player you ll do 80- 90 by doing those within 1-2 weeks.

and yes it is far too easy, am certain this expansion will kill the rest of the HC players, unless they somehow enjoy the BGs so much they will stick to the game.....ooor ofc if SOE add some content extremely fast.   saying this since the most HC guilds already is done with more than half the raid encounters.
    well over all enjoy it for now, there is afew fun fights in the heroics, just expecting it to be a very short lived expansion to someone like me,,,,,yay for VERY casual gameplay ; thats good for my guild, but not for the "hardcore"

FYI for those that might be new there are people like this EVERY expansion "zomg all the HC raiders will quit"  They just enjoy flapping their jaws on the internets.  Yes people leave and people join and HC raiders come and go so stop with the dramatics.    As for being too easy omg even casual guilds have cleared some of the raid zones, I take it you don't know about the Easy mode/Hard mode thing?   There is a reason it is called easy and if you look the hard mode stuff isn't dying quite so fast if at all yet.

That being said if you are person who plays couple hours a night and a bit more on the weekend questing and doing normal stuff (not sitting in the hole grinding xp just to level) like instances and hole runs plan on 2-3 weeks to hit 90.    But after you hit 90 you still have typically around 210 AA points which means you have 40 more to earn and these abilities are quite good in some cases.

Population I was actually surprised even before SF launched I was playing some new alts at low levels and every zone I was in had people running around questing etc and playing various alts from the teens to the 50s I see LFG chatter quite often and had no issues getting groups.  This is all on Crushbone however which is probably 2nd or 3rd highest pop server so I can't speak for the other servers.

As far as Battlegrounds are concerned they are hella fun.  They are easy to pop into if you get tired of questing and the daily quests for the BG's give decent Xp and gold not to mention the armor you can buy with the tokens.

Overall my opinion having playing eq2 since launch is SF brings a lot of new stuff to the table and has kept the game fun for me, bugs not withstanding. (every game has bugs especially at launch so get over it, they will be fixed).

Halas Reborn GU later this year (probably May) will be great for new players as well as the Shader Model 3.0 graphical revamp that is coming as well will make the game look better and run faster.

If anyone wants to know more about the game before deciding to try it out I'll be happy to answer any questions just PM

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

I like the added AA but otherwise SF really is more of the same.  Worse in fact since the TSO instances now scale to 90 so anyone hoping to access the content that they couldn't at 80, still can't at 90.  The solo quests so far are terrible, with far too much time spent traveling back and forth.  Made worse by the fact that the quest lines are bunched so you can't go clear say 4-6 quests then come back for updates.  Its 1 back 1 back 1 back 1back...

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go grind more shards so I can do the content this year that has been gated to me for two years now, yay.  At least RoK content is accessible to all now.

Oh for got the mention, Halas will be a bag of awesome.  The Shader 3.0 update is a long long time away and so far on test, buggy, ugly and slow.

• rangbandrangband Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Solude

I like the added AA but otherwise SF really is more of the same.  Worse in fact since the TSO instances now scale to 90 so anyone hoping to access the content that they couldn't at 80, still can't at 90.  The solo quests so far are terrible, with far too much time spent traveling back and forth.  Made worse by the fact that the quest lines are bunched so you can't go clear say 4-6 quests then come back for updates.  Its 1 back 1 back 1 back 1back...
    Now if you'll excuse me I have to go grind more shards so I can do the content this year that has been gated to me for two years now, yay.  At least RoK content is accessible to all now.
    Oh for got the mention, Halas will be a bag of awesome.  The Shader 3.0 update is a long long time away and so far on test, buggy, ugly and slow.

Take it you are still in Sundered Frontier where yes the quests are lots of running.  Once you get to Stonebrunt and Quel'ue area especially Hamlet area I was able to knock out like 5-6 quests then turn them all in and pickup the next round.     

I'm confused why couldn't they access TSO instances at 80? and yes they scale but you don't HAVE to do the new 90 ones they still scale heck some of them now scale 60-70-80 and 90.     Why wasn't RoK content accessible to all before?

I'd say SM 3.0 next GU or the one after but you never know I want them to wait and launch it when it is ready.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Sorry should have been more clear.  Yes anyone can walk into any TSO instance.  They however cannot complete it, since its gear gated.  What a lot of us hoped for was that TSO would not scale past 80 or have a "hard" mode for those geared for 90 versions.  Casuals will never see Guk for instance.  Especially now that can't unmentor once the instance is created.  Raids are fine though since they aren't scaling, go figure.

All TSO instances can be cleared in T2 (group-obtained) gear.  

That being said, this is THE hardest (group) zone.  It's meant to be the greatest achievement as far as heroic zones go.  Content for groups can and should still have progression and challenge, which TSO did excellently.  

And I'm not trying to "talk down to you".  I am a casual raider (10 hrs a week) and while my guild did not clear ALL the raid zones, I have no problem with their difficulty.  I know that if we kept trying and kept getting more gear from the stuff that we COULD kill, we'd eventually get it down.  The same is true for group content.  If people keep learning and trying and getting gear from the easier group zones, they will eventually be able to clear Guk and PoF.  

I may be a casual player but I refuse to be labeled a moron due to that and to have content stepped down to "idiot" level like most of the stuff in the new expansion.  It's been less than a month and i have already cleared the three toughest level 90 group instances.  Without ANY level 90 gear.

All it takes are people who know what they are doing and who make smart choices about their gear.  Showing up in treasured is a choice, not a result of being a casual player.  A casual player can spend 1 hour running solo quests and make 5-10p and then buy themselves a suit of legendary or mastercrafted armor.  If someone chooses not to, it's not because they're casual, it's because they don't know how to play their class and then they have no one to blame but themselves.

The "I suck because i don't have time" argument died a long time ago in EQ2.  Most zones can be done in under an hour, solo stuff gives tons of money, good gear is easily available from group zones and for sale.  By playing 30 minutes a day and 100% solo, in less than one month you can be geared in full legendary gear that is more than acceptable to doing 80% of the group content.  By doing that 80%, you will then be ready to do the other 20.  I should start giving seminars on this:  "How to Be a Casual Player and Not Suck:  12 Steps to Suck Less!"

- Raph Koster

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

There where no races or classes added. the content has been made surper easy so pretty much anyone can casually go from 80-90 lvl in a month or less Solo. unless your going after master CA's / spells the ones you had from level 80 and lower are better then any adept/expert spell you'll get from 80-90 (baring masters.)

Crafters have been castrated as there is really no reason to craft since nothing you can make is better then the easy to get tier 2 shard items. one gets pre 80th lvl.. SOE spends alot of time trying to fix the buggy battle grounds, but other then that the one town they promised has been left out, and the quest lines are really rather annoying no choice time sinks. (hate pands? tough luck your gonna be their errand boy and lacky in this expansion!) The quests do ran tons of gold and plat but coin really is pretty much worthless in EQ2 anyway.

IMO Sentials fate was a let down