Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Seven Day Trial for One Dollar Announced

12346»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Bael13

Wow $1 to be griefed to death for 7 days how cool is that, i think i'll give it a miss thanks very much, 1cent is over priced for darkfall.
    You guys willing to pay $50 a month for a horrible game like Darkfall, yet whine at "apparently" expensive cash shops in F2P games? 
    insane yes i think so.

There is nothing 'apparent' about cash shops being more expensive to access the equivlent content to a sub game. They are loved by the devs because they make the devs more revenue per head, for less support costs, and that *extra* money can only come from the user (ie *you*). This is just fact.

Arguing for MT is arguing for a more expensive game. Just because the true cost is hidden behind nickels and dimes, don't ever think you arnt paying (no matter how many 'F2P' gamers claim they don't... heh)

Anyhow, whether DF is 'horrible' or not is subjective and is a completly different issue to cash shops, so it's somewhat silly to talk about the two issues in the same sentence as you did. Even IF it's horrible to a specific player, at least it's honestly priced and clear to see what exactly the customer's money actually buys, allowing him to make a balanced and informed decision from the start (*before* he pays his box price or invests too much of his time).

I don't play DF any more, but Aventurine get my love for this $1 move, it is great value for a weeks play and gives the user a honest and real experience with athe full version of the game.

It's great to see an indie dev making a success out of a game *they* want to play, and on their own terms no less. The industry needs more of it.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Aventurine have followed up the $1 trial with a new deal on the box where you get the game + 3 months of time thrown in, so it seems like a well thought out strategy to ease people into the game.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Alot of people in this thread dont seem to get it. We need more games like this that break the current stale mmo market mold.

DF have taken a leap ouAlot of people in this thread dont seem to get it. We need more games like this that break the current stale mmo market mold.

DF have taken a leap out of the box compared to just about every other tab target raid boss ect ect mmo out there.

There's not been a game like DF for years. Here's hoping Mortal Online can pull it off as well!

t of the box compaered to just about every other tab target raid boss ect ect mmo out there.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Alot of people in this thread dont seem to get it. We need more games like this that break the current stale mmo market mold.
    DF have taken a leap ouAlot of people in this thread dont seem to get it. We need more games like this that break the current stale mmo market mold.
    DF have taken a leap out of the box compared to just about every other tab target raid boss ect ect mmo out there.
    There's not been a game like DF for years. Here's hoping Mortal Online can pull it off as well!

t of the box compaered to just about every other tab target raid boss ect ect mmo out there.

New ideas that break the mold?   Yes.    Charging for something that should be free?   No.     Heck, someone could make a game where all the graphics were in cubism-style art.    It's never been done, but it's not a good idea.

The naysayers in this post aren't being dumb, we get why they are doing this.    I, for one, do not believe the benefits to the player(s) outweigh the disadvantages.

Bottom line:  if a game has a free trial (like so many do), I may try it out.   If I gotta haul out my cc just to try it, I won't.  

Originally posted by SwampRob

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

New ideas that break the mold?   Yes.    Charging for something that should be free?   No.     Heck, someone could make a game where all the graphics were in cubism-style art.    It's never been done, but it's not a good idea.

The naysayers in this post aren't being dumb, we get why they are doing this.    I, for one, do not believe the benefits to the player(s) outweigh the disadvantages.

Bottom line:  if a game has a free trial (like so many do), I may try it out.   If I gotta haul out my cc just to try it, I won't.  

You don't consider 1 week of open play, giving full access to the game (which is a ton more then most free trials do...), for $1 a fair deal? Really?

personally I consider it more then fair, open, and honest and would waaay prefer it to the average trial of 'up to Level 10', or the starter zone, or whatever severly restricted content they usually offer for free trial in most other games.

Originally posted by vesavius 

You don't consider 1 week of open play, giving full access to the game (which is a ton more then most free trials do...), for $1 a fair deal? Really?
    personally I consider it more then fair, open, and honest and would waaay prefer it to the average trial of 'up to Level 10', or the starter zone, or whatever severly restricted content they usually offer for free trial in most other games.

Sigh.   It's not the amount.   My opinion would be the same if it were one penny and lasted 2 weeks.    Trials have long been, and, IMO, should continue to be free.    Not just free of cost, which is negligible, but hassle.    Download the game, try it out.   No going thru paypay, or cc, etc.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I agree that trials should be free, but trying to make an arguement that one cant scrounge up 100 pennies to try something for a week is petty in my opinion.  Plain and simple.

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

Sigh.   It's not the amount.   My opinion would be the same if it were one penny and lasted 2 weeks.    Trials have long been, and, IMO, should continue to be free.    Not just free of cost, which is negligible, but hassle.    Download the game, try it out.   No going thru paypay, or cc, etc.

1$ isn't to just keep the gold sellers away, but kids. The game is meant for 18+ and entering a credit card helps verify that and or the permission of the parent/guardian. Thus, being a "trail" and not "FREE Trial"

(Akiraosc)

why the drama sigh? and why didnt you talk about the point i made about this being full game access and not a limited level/ area trial?

I would personally rather pay $1 and see the whole game then have a free extremely limited and tailored view of it. You have you principles though, as odd as they seem to me, which is fair enough. Not like it matters to me much if you want to trial this game or not heh

I personally do not find a CC entry 'hassle'... but I guess I am just more relaxed about things, especially when what I am getting is in my eyes a bargain, and would gladly go through it in order to protect the integrity of the game at large.

why the drama sigh? and why didnt you talk about the point i made about this being full game access and not a limited level/ area trial?

I would personally rather pay $1 and see the whole game then have a free extremely limited and tailored view of it. You have you principles though, as odd as they seem to me, which is fair enough. Not like it matters to me much if you want to trial this game or not heh

I personally do not find a CC entry 'hassle'... but I guess I am just more relaxed about things, especially when what I am getting is in my eyes a bargain, and would gladly go through it in order to protect the integrity of the game at large.

The sigh was my attempt to convey my frustration over remarks like "if you can't scrounge up a dollar", when I clearly stated the amount was not the issue.   Value-wise, I agree that for a week's entertainment, one dollar is reasonable.   Heck, so is five dollars.    I have money, how much I have to fork out is not the point.

My issue is that I feel that a trial should be zero.   Nuh-thing.     It's like charging you for a coupon.     It's like paying for a beta version.     I fully comprehend why they are doing this, I really do.    But I don't think that the plusses of doing it outweigh the minuses.      You sound like you don't agree, fine, that's your opinion.    We can at least state factually that is it not normal for a game to charge for a trial.   My larger worry is that this starts a precedent and the days of free trials come to an end.

The sigh was my attempt to convey my frustration over remarks like "if you can't scrounge up a dollar", when I clearly stated the amount was not the issue.   Value-wise, I agree that for a week's entertainment, one dollar is reasonable.   Heck, so is five dollars.    I have money, how much I have to fork out is not the point.

My issue is that I feel that a trial should be zero.   Nuh-thing.     It's like charging you for a coupon.     It's like paying for a beta version.     I fully comprehend why they are doing this, I really do.    But I don't think that the plusses of doing it outweigh the minuses.      You sound like you don't agree, fine, that's your opinion.    We can at least state factually that is it not normal for a game to charge for a trial.   My larger worry is that this starts a precedent and the days of free trials come to an end.

ahh ok then, I guess the sigh wasnt meant for me..? I never said anything about 'scrounging' or whatever.

But yeah, I agree thats it's not 'normal', but right now I don't really know what normal is in this genre pricing wise, and i have a feeling that the devs don't either. This is why we are seeing so many mutations of the sub/ MT/ sub+MT/ box only/ whatever revenue models right? I do know what feels right and fair to me personally though, and this does.

Most free trials lock me securly behind a wall of restricted level or newb zone that give me no idea of the true product at all but this is an unlimited week long at the 'finished' product that they are offering to you to see if it fits what you want before you part with your box price. Brilliant.

If all trials offer me as much access to the game, for as long, as Aventurine are here then i am happy to pay $1 for any of them, and thats not even considering all the other benefits needing a CC for the trial brings :)

• TaotavTaotav Member UncommonPosts: 14

You have to use a credit card to pay 1€/1$. I guess the only reason to do that is they want to avoid gold sellers.

Darkfall is the best game since Ultima Online.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

i tried darkfall, and while it wasnt as horrible as I thought it was I wasnt crazy about it, but that could be im burned out by MMO's .It doesnt deserve the flak its gettng in the community.

but its not for me. the crafting was interesting and slightly complex so found it fun to harvest nodes, and make chainmail armor. but the grinding continously on only goblins got a bit boring after a while with very little to do quest wise. the interface wasnt absolutely horrible but it asnt fun and took a while to get used to. I absolutely hate the fact you have to individually place all items into your inventory. then proceed to individually place them out if you want to sell those items you looted. I looted quite a bit to make enough gold to buy skills for armorsmithing, and found it often monotous to have to select every item seperately, they definitely have to change that.

Game engine is pretty decent, the draw distance is pretty horrible and is "greyed" out. but the lighting is pretty decent, and shadowing nicely done along with post processing effects it looks nice. I also had some decent performance with fps ranging from 40-100 fps, depending on where I was but also dipped to ~20 fps sometimes. Armor on the characters look horrible, but could be I was very low level and just past starter gear, so Im sure the stronger gear looks better, and has better model seperation. Sound is pretty decent, but the music is very minimal and almost non existent.

AI isnt horrible but find it different in the fact that if Im fighting a goblin shaman itll intially attack me from a distance, ill move into melee range, and when it takes a few hits it starts running often into other mobs. now its not a bad  behavior just unexpected, and different than most MMO mobs in how they act. I like the way archery is done in which it comes down your skills of shooting, knowing distance, drop, and anticaption of movement of a player and mob.(its harder than it looks but often rewarding when you down a mob with arrows) its evident mobs and ur character takes more dmg from the back, so running is definitely last resort (only with health pots if u have them lol and have stamina to spare....trust me i know this first hand)

I think in the end the "grind" gets on my nerves more than anything, i found it very slow and plodding and often boring to just "grind" goblins in a certain area, rise in my armor mitigation, skills in swords, polearms etc then move to a new area further away with slightly tougher mobs. the 20 hour protection you recieve is good, which enables you to get the necessary jump on skills you definitely need in order to start competing in pvp when it starts coming. This allows the player to learn the game, the UI(trust me you need some time learning this UI lol), laern  how skills increase, e.g. armor for melee, archery, magic, weapons skills, the list goes on.

In the end I thinnk my patience to "grind" to the necessary "skill level" to compete in PVP is a bit short right now. Now this is by no means saying darkfall is a bad game, in fact i was delightfully surprised on how much fun i actually had.  I found I never really had the typical sensation of "plodding boredem" when playing the game which I often get if the game really bores the crap out of me. I think the practice of pressing R, then F to open the loot of the mob, then individually grab each item into your bag gets a bit stressful especially when there are times when mobs run into you and start attacking you mid loot.

The openworld is definitely good, I love an open world so this definitely struck a chord with me as I hate heavily zoned games that are so prevelant now.I also was surpised by the community and how welcoming they were, I immediately received assistance on information on what to do from multiple people, though as couple days progressed, and i moved from sandybrook up north to henna where orcs mobs were I was introduced by some of the darker side of the community, but not necessarily in a abad way, lot of it was a few people talkng smack about the game, or bringing up irrevelant topics that got under people's skin. So the community definitely gets a thumbs up.

Also i was amazed to see 2 people playing where i got killed by a goblin (this was the part I was mentioning about making sure not to drun if u have no stamina, and no health pots) I went back as fast as I could to get back to my tombstone, 2 players had already started looting it, and rather than run off with my stuff, they traded me my stuff back without me having to ask. (though a few people stated it could be it wasnt worth really antyhing lol) but nonethless its the thought and act that counts. So another Thumbs up.

Now a big question you might be asking, and i must ask myself. Will I go back and actually buy the game? Possibly. Right now im a bit burned out on MMO's So i think its better to take a slight vacation from MMO's play a few games a few multiplayers ( playing bad company 2 now and loving it) This way I can come to the game I want to play with a fresh attitude.

Conclusion, Darkfall is getting too much bad press for all the wrong reasons,I can definitely admit when I am wrong. The game has some serious depth to it, but it does come down to you how much depth the game eventually has. the crafting is done really well , as i loved mining nodes, and making my own armor and weapons. im a pure craft junkie hehe, i had a lvl 90 droid engineer on SWG and made some of the best combat droids on naritus server heheh by meticulously surveying resources.

Im sure the PVP is awesome, and I hope to one day experience that, for now I gonna take a break from MMO's in general, so when I play it  I can come with a clean perspective.

Darkfall is definitely worth a second look. Ill be putting it on my to buy list.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.