Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG's Pre-CU server announcement during the launch of SWTOR.

depaindepain Member Posts: 263

You know it will happen.

Comments

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

no

• KrilsterKrilster Member Posts: 230

/sigh. Please change the thread title.

You got my hopes up for no reason. :(

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Nice.....in that case they missed it by only five years!

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

we can only hope!  but its not going to happen...lol

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by depain

You know it will happen.

NOT COOL DUDE!!!

You really shouldn't get the hopes of us old vets up like that.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Originally posted by eagle4x4

NOT COOL DUDE!!!
    You really shouldn't get the hopes of us old vets up like that.

haha, I just got done saying (in another thread) that i wouldn't go back at this point. Then, I saw this thread and part of me got all excited.....now back to my bitterness....

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Was also excited.. lol.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

In all honesty it'd make sense.

Why have two games with the same IP that are "trying" to follow the same kind of play-style model?

Only way I'd see it to be even possible to maintain two different games with the SAME IP at the same time is to make them radically different games.

That's why I'm betting that the next MMO from Blizzard will be nothing like WoW, and also why it'd make sense when ToR is released to dramatically shift SWG back to the sandbox playground and leave the story/single-player/action stuff to ToR.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

That would be like Firemen showing up two hours after their call.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

I should flame you for this :(

I was just about to get happy then this..........................

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by kwai
    I should flame you for this :(
    I was just about to get happy then this..........................

I am glad that you did not. That would make me as burning mad as being allow to play the NGE after being banned from the PreCU - Yep , SOE really hosed me with that one.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• JeroKanedeadJeroKanedead Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Krilster

Why? Every sane person knows by long now that it will NEVER EVER happen.

Not only do they have the code anymore. They also do not have the expertise anymore to pull it off and maintain it.

Most of the pre-CU devs are gone and no longer working at SOE.

So even if The Smed gets hit by a truck and in a fluke of amnesia he suddenly wants a pre-CU server. He will not be able to do it.

Jer

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Not only do they have the code anymore. They also do not have the expertise anymore to pull it off and maintain it.

So even if The Smed gets hit by a truck and in a fluke of amnesia he suddenly wants a pre-CU server. He will not be able to do it.

Jer

C'mon on man, they have a copy of every patch ever done. 

I agree with you in that they most likely don't have 1 developer left who knows how to use the the old code efficiently, but I guarantee you they DO have the old code.

• JeroKanedeadJeroKanedead Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Mazin

Jer

I agree with you in that they most likely don't have 1 developer left who knows how to use the the old code efficiently, but I guarantee you they DO have the old code.

They have pretty much completely rewritten the entire game with the NGE update. 

But even if they have the old code somewhere. They still won't be able to pull it off. As Iike I said. The experitse required is no longer there at SOE.

Jer

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I saw this and I was like wow yes.

Oh well so much for getting my hopes up.

I will say this it is never going to happen.  The reason why is quite simple.  First and formost SOE already said they made the mistake,  but they cant rectify it.   They don't have the code any more.    Since they already said they made the mistake you would have thought they would have opened pre cu servers or something trying to save that arm of the business.  However there not going to do away wit the NGE either, as Smedly has said as long as there are enough player playing to keep the servers open they consider the game a sucsess,  I would bet when stor comes out wthat will change.

Oh well so much for getting my hopes up, darnit.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by Mazin

Jer

They have pretty much completely rewritten the entire game with the NGE update. 

But even if they have the old code somewhere. They still won't be able to pull it off. As Iike I said. The experitse required is no longer there at SOE.

Jer

True, they don't have the expertise anymore, since yes all the old devs left SOE.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Nah. Not a chance IMO. SWG closes when ToR launches.

Lucas Arts has invested MILLIONS into ToRs success and I think it would just be foolish leaving the reminder of what could have been alive with SWG while launching the future of SW MMO gaming. That would just keep the years old anger and frustration over SoE's past alive and it WILL overshadow ToRs success. LA needs to kill SWG for ToR to have a clean slate.

My guess is, this is why Lucas Arts tossed SoE a bone with the new Clone Wars game they are developing. Costs LA virtually nothing and allows SoE to save some face by appealing to kids...something I gotta admit, SoE has succeeded at. ;)