Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Prophecy: gamigo AG to Publish; Goes F2P

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Reakktor Media, the developers behind Black Prophecy, have entered an agreement with publisher gamigo AG to publish the upcoming sci-fi space faring MMOG. As gamigo AG is a free-to-play games publisher, it comes to us as no surprise that Reakktor Media has also announced that Black Prophecy will be a free-to-play game.

In addition to today's publishing announcement, we've also learned that Black Prophecy will feature professional voice over work for in-game dialogue, a crafting system, and a one and a half hour long orchestral soundtrack.

Black Prophecy will be entering closed beta in April 2010.

Visit the official Black Prophecy website for more information.

UPDATE: Black Prophecy is set to launch by the end of 2010, and will be demoed by gamigo at GDC next week. Stay tuned!

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I haven't done my homework on this game yet. I did read something about modular ships.

Just wanted to ask is this going to be a Twitch sandbox or open ended game? Or am I looking at a more advanced JGE (themepark)?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by MikeB

Reakktor Media, the developers behind Black Prophecy, have entered an agreement with publisher gamigo AG to publish the upcoming sci-fi space faring MMOG. As gamigo AG is a free-to-play games publisher, it comes to us as no surprise that Reakktor Media has also announced that Black Prophecy will be a free-to-play game.

In addition to today's publishing announcement, we've also learned that Black Prophecy will feature professional voice over work for in-game dialogue, a crafting system, and a one and a half hour long orchestral soundtrack.

sounds like a very expensive cash shop to pay for those features.  Not bashing, just observing current trends.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I had no idea this would be an item mall game. Looked good the last time I was readding up on it, shame.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• gorillaz951gorillaz951 Member Posts: 160

This game looks TOO good to be a F2P game. I'm looking forward to try this game. I've been wanting to play a modern Sci-Fi MMO that isn't EvE or STO. Eve has slow pacing issues for me while STO is just a pass in general. Can't wait to see how this game will be :) 

Currently playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft, Dota 2, League of Legends

Waiting on: Blade & Soul, Guild Wars 2, Tera, Kingdoms of Amular, Firefall

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Well there goes the neighborhood.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by elderotter

Originally posted by MikeB

sounds like a very expensive cash shop to pay for those features.  Not bashing, just observing current trends.

Indeed. A game of this level of quality will probably feature a very aggressive/expensive item shop to be worth the investment.

It's sad they had to turn to a F2P publisher.

Is EVE really going to be the lone behemoth of the sci-fi genre? =/

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Damnit!!

This is why I no longer get my hopes up for ANY games before they release.

Joined - July 2004

• AryasAryas Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 337

This looks like it could go one of two ways:

• A game full of idiots and a rip-off cash shop that ruins what could have been a really nice game.

• A bloody amazing F2P game that's fresh, innovative and polished and adds another nail to the P2P coffin.

Fingers crossed it's the later, coz I'm really excited about this game.

And fingers crossed they don't have some pea-brained idiot decide the prices like Allods did recently. Man, in such a fickle market that was dumbass move. Nearly killed the game before it had even made it out of beta.

Aryas

Playing: Ableton Live 8
    ~ ragequitcancelsubdeletegamesmashcomputerkillself ~

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Im happy they finally landed a publisher.

Im not so big on the F2P hate as I used to be, so ill be giving this it's fair shot, especially since JGE is still floating in the ether somewhere. 

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Scratch that one off the list. free to play, and then pay, pay, PAY. no thanks

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

Dear gamigo,

Please note how well rec'd Allods was until their shop tried to rape everyone. See how quickly the player-base turned on them, and even after announcing that they are reducing the prices, the damage is still largely irreversible.

The F2P model will have it's place and success in this market, but you need to not expect millions at launch. Use good word of mouth to build your player base, and over time, the game will bring you profit.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i dont like to see content changed to make ppl use the item shops so this is very bad news

one more game that i wont play

BestSigEver :P

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by GetzMango
    And people wonder why there is no diversity in the MMO genre.

They had to go to a Free to Play publisher just to get market and people are automatically dismissing it.

Perhaps you should see how the Item Mall is implemented before passing judgment. Or you can wait until it fails and is eventually replaced by an awful monthly fee "WoW Clone".

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by GetzMango

And people wonder why there is no diversity in the MMO genre.

They had to go to a Free to Play publisher just to get market and people are automatically dismissing it.

Perhaps you should see how the Item Mall is implemented before passing judgment. Or you can wait until it fails and is eventually replaced by an awful monthly fee "WoW Clone".

I understand what you are saying but having to go F2P may cause changes to the game that make it not desirable to a lot of us that were hoping that this would turn out to be something special.Also given how most f2p games are run I'd say people have some justification to be worried and temper their expectations and hopes for this game.

Not to mention you seem to be saying that innovation  and diversity only exists in the f2p market which is not true as 90% of the MMOs are either Lineage or WoW clones in either 3D or ultima/diablo clones 2D and the other 10% are mini games and fps shooters.

Where I can agree is this is not the time to say I'll not play this game ever!The time for such judgements are when we have full gameplay and business model disclosure.

• LongswdLongswd Member Posts: 155

What an unfortunate decision. I was really interested in this as an alternative to what I think will be a cruddy JG:E. I don't play F2P games as I hate being nickel and dimed to death. Good luck making this work in Asia or wherever it is that people actually put up with micro transactions.

• bartillobartillo Member UncommonPosts: 190

this sucks.. BP sounded like a huge sandbox with completely customizable modular ships and space stations.. a real player economy just like eve.. and even multi ship use! the big ships in BP require players to man the turrets while one guy pilots.

This game could rival eve.. but now it will fail,

They should do a p2p/cash shop hybrid like DDO

• PerkunasPerkunas Member Posts: 27

Don't worry... I'm sure the vaporware known as Jumpgate: Evolution wont go to a F2P model. Mostly because it'll never launch.

My word and world holds ground and is real
    Your word is like floods of poisoned water
    A language spoken with spit from different tongues
    More of my unwanted opinions

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

Redeeming ticket for the Bash Train. I too had this game towards the top of my short list after JG:E crawled off into a dark corner to die. The real tragedy is not being able to get a real publisher as I would assume they had no alternative. I don't see a company that wants their game to be a big hit purposely going with a F2P model since most the time those are automatically written off as garbage (and for good reason).

A damn shame.

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

As mentioned right above me, I too would imagine the decision was a last resort for Reakktor. Either they couldn't find a better deal because it's a space-oriented MMO which is a real niche in the market, or they have a half-finished product that couldn't impress potential investors and we're going end up getting a work in progress at "launch".

Having been around the block a few times, I'm assuming it's the latter but hoping it's the former.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

My best bet is that the game is too much like EVE and no publisher wants to rival that game on a subscription base, knowing that would be a failure from the start. Changing the pay plan from P2P to F2P might indeed be the only option to get BP to life and try to rival EVE from the start.

My only hope is that they cash shop won't be like Allods (overpriced), or like RoM (power items in cash shop). If it is, the game is doomed indeed. If on the other hand, the cash shop holds items that will allow a better success rate on crafting, or holds some rare crafting items (like the ones for a PoS), I think the game might just do fine...

Anyway, I'll give BP a serious try when it's released (hopefully I'll be invited for CB/OB as well)

• graalexgraalex Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Reizla

My best bet is that the game is too much like EVE [...]

BP is totally different from EVE.

BP is much more like JG: E being a first-person shooter.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by bartillo

this sucks.. BP sounded like a huge sandbox with completely customizable modular ships and space stations.. a real player economy just like eve.. and even multi ship use! the big ships in BP require players to man the turrets while one guy pilots.
    This game could rival eve.. but now it will fail,

They should do a p2p/cash shop hybrid like DDO

If they use a pay model similar to DDO or even Guild wars would you still think its going to fail due to going F2p? 

I mean the game was designed as a P2p so it may be very good.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just have to wait and see how they implement the cash shop.  They could make in unobtrusive like DDO or make the game unplayable without it's use.  All depends on what direction they go in. 

We just have to hope they don't kill the golden goose like Allods did.

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

Item mall... wow really.

Bummer game looked good too. But i dont do item mall scams.