Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[WoW] Various questions regarding WoW

Hello.

I am likely to start playing WoW, but I need to clarify a lot of things beforehand:

A. Game economy

1. How is it built? Is it based on free-market concepts, as in I put up something for sale at a fixed price then wait for someone to buy it? Is it NPC based? Is it based on personal store?
  2. Do people buy stuff (including high-end items) with gold or do they trade for other items? In short: is gold thoroughly used as the universal currency?
  3. Is it possible to make significant profit out of your loots?
  4. Other than farming for items, is there any other way one can make gold?

B. Items

1. Can you craft items? If so, how exactly -- in full details -- does this work? Is there something like a "craft level" which determines what you can and cannot craft?
  2. Is gambling present in any aspect of the game regarding items?

C. PVP

1. How is PVP in WoW? Does equipment play a big role or is it nerfed when PVPing?
  2. Does it involve thinking and strategy or is it just like any other MMORPG out there, where you basically use your best  combination of skills ad nauseam in a mindless clickfest?
  3. Are there tournaments with rewards for PVPers? Are these rewards worthwhile and tradeable/sellable in game?

D. Skills and classes

1. Can someone erase and redo their skill tree if they wish to? Is there any cost or limit to this?
  2. Can someone change class in game?

Looking at these topics you might conclude I play Atlantica Online. If you play (or have played) AO extensively, what similar game would you suggest? It can be a P2P one.

Thanks in advance to whoever takes their time to read and answer (some of) these questions.

Comments

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

WoW has a free trial.

Download the game for free and try it for... 10 days I think.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Far too much detail requested to make it feasible to offer any sort of reply. As has been suggested, try out the free trial and within a day or two at most  you'll have a clear understanding of the basis of the game.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

Downloading the free trial will not answer half of your questions.

The problem with the free trial is that you are limited in features, especially when it comes to chatting, using the auction house and mail, which is extremely important in generating an economy.

It seems you can go ahead and get the game because you seem familiar with all the concepts that make up Wow clones and similiar games as by the very questions you are asking.

While while is not a sandbox game, you can earn a quite a bit of gold from crafting, the auction, and farming. And if you are Auction house savvy, you can drive up prices by manipulating supply and demand, especially during festivals and weekends.

I say try the trial to get a feel if the game, but you will need to own a copy to really participate in the economy of WOW.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by gpellizzoni

Hello.
    I am likely to start playing WoW, but I need to clarify a lot of things beforehand:

A. Game economy

How is it built? Is it based on free-market concepts, as in I put up something for sale at a fixed price then wait for someone to buy it? Is it NPC based? Is it based on personal store? Ebay-style Auction House. Each faction has one and the neutral goblins have one that's cross-faction.
    Do people buy stuff (including high-end items) with gold or do they trade for other items? In short: is gold thoroughly used as the universal currency? Auction House transactions are money only, but there's nothing to stop you from offering to barter. Never really seen it done, but it seems reasonable, at least with crafting materials. "Willing to trade 20 Light Leather for 20 Silk Cloth. PST!", and so on.
    Is it possible to make significant profit out of your loots? Each server has it's own economy, so something that can be a real money maker on one may not be on another. The only way to tell is to check the auction houses for trends. The biggest money makers are crafting materials (cloths, leathers,  ores, etc.)
    Other than farming for items, is there any other way one can make gold? You can sell crafted goods to levels under 60, but once people start getting into Burning Crusade content, quests rewards step up to gear upgrades at a pretty regular pace and only crafted "Blues" and "Purples" are worth selling. Primarily, though, farming is your best bet. There's always higher level players starting new professions and would rather just buy up Auction House sales than take the time to go out themselves. Plus, people up near 80 are practically made of gold with all the quest rewards and farming they've done on their own up to that point.

B. Items

Can you craft items? If so, how exactly -- in full details -- does this work? Is there something like a "craft level" which determines what you can and cannot craft? In short, yes you can craft. There's a number of professions including blacksmithing, tailoring, alchemy, and so on, and there is a level system. Each item you craft has the chance to raise you one crafting level up to a certain point. Crafting is an interdependent system. For example, to blacksmith, you need ores from a miner (or you can have mining as your second of 2 primary professions that you can have at any time) You either have to pair 2 complimentary professions or seek others either by person to person trade or the Auction house to get your materials.
    Is gambling present in any aspect of the game regarding items? No.

C. PVP

How is PVP in WoW? Does equipment play a big role or is it nerfed when PVPing? WoW is extremely gear- and level-centric. A person over 5 levels below another has practically zero chance at winning a one on one fight. Gear isn't nerfed for PvP, though recently, some stats have been buffed for it. I'm not really into WoW PVP, so I'll let someone else cover the remaining 2 questions if they're so inclined.
    Does it involve thinking and strategy or is it just like any other MMORPG out there, where you basically use your best  combination of skills ad nauseam in a mindless clickfest?
    Are there tournaments with rewards for PVPers? Are these rewards worthwhile and tradeable/sellable in game?

D. Skills and classes

Can someone erase and redo their skill tree if they wish to? Is there any cost or limit to this? Yes and yes, at least in terms of cost. Respeccing is available at a stepped cost. It goes up each time you respec up to a maximum of 50 gold (I think. I personally haven't respecced beyond the 50 gold point.)
    Can someone change class in game? EDIT- No, you can't change class, but as Arctarus says below, you can change race, faction, sex, and name for a fee. I erroneously stated you could. Sorry about that.

Looking at these topics you might conclude I play Atlantica Online. If you play (or have played) AO extensively, what similar game would you suggest? It can be a P2P one.
    Thanks in advance to whoever takes their time to read and answer (some of) these questions.

I'll also echo the suggestions to check out the trial. That's the quickest way to see what the game is like, and it only costs time.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by gpellizzoni

Hello.
     I try to answer as accurately as i can. 
    A. Game economy

How is it built? Is it based on free-market concepts, as in I put up something for sale at a fixed price then wait for someone to buy it? Is it NPC based? Is it based on personal store?

You put up your auction inside the AH. No personal store. There's 2 prices you can set, 1 is buy out price and the other is bidding price. Players that bid the highest won the goods at the end of the auction time.

Do people buy stuff (including high-end items) with gold or do they trade for other items? In short: is gold thoroughly used as the universal currency?

Yes gold is the main currency for buying. But once in a while players do trade with items.

Is it possible to make significant profit out of your loots?

Yes, like disenchanting loots to become items for other profession to use.

Other than farming for items, is there any other way one can make gold?

There's daily quests at high level that rewards you with quite a lot of gold if you do them. Profession is also a very good way to make money.
    B. Items

Can you craft items? If so, how exactly -- in full details -- does this work? Is there something like a "craft level" which determines what you can and cannot craft?

Same as other  mmo, you choose which profession you wana be at a early level, level 10? and from than on you harvest your nodes and buy work order and do them. Every item you craft will earn you 1 level point. 
    Usually players go for yellow or green work order to level faster. Once the items becomes grey it means you wont get any more points for crafting it.

Once you hit the max points for crafting you need to buy another work order and learn it, and continue crafting again to level up. And crafting level also depends on the level you are in. Example at level 20 max skill you can have for crafting is 50.

Is gambling present in any aspect of the game regarding items?

If you mean the chance to get the drops if a few players needs the same items, than its sort of luck. But there's no gambling in this game.

C. PVP

How is PVP in WoW? Does equipment play a big role or is it nerfed when PVPing?

Yes, gears and weapons stats play a big role in this game.

Does it involve thinking and strategy or is it just like any other MMORPG out there, where you basically use your best  combination of skills ad nauseam in a mindless clickfest?

For battleground its mostly a zerg fest. Though coordinations is still needed to win. I dont know about arena.

Are there tournaments with rewards for PVPers? Are these rewards worthwhile and tradeable/sellable in game?

Arena is the tournaments in WoW for pvp. The items you get is BOP.

D. Skills and classes

Can someone erase and redo their skill tree if they wish to? Is there any cost or limit to this?

You can redo your talents trees as many times as you want but you have to pay gold to your trainer every time you re-spec starting from 1 gold. Max price, iirc, is 50gold each time.

Can someone change class in game?

No. But you can pay to change name, sex. I think change race is coming soon?

Hope this helps...

RIP Orc Choppa

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

A. Game economy

1. How is it built? Is it based on free-market concepts, as in I put up something for sale at a fixed price then wait for someone to buy it? Is it NPC based? Is it based on personal store?  As others have said it is a Auction House environment, you put your items up and have the option of including a buyout fee and then you wait.

2. Do people buy stuff (including high-end items) with gold or do they trade for other items? In short: is gold thoroughly used as the universal currency? Yes it is.

3. Is it possible to make significant profit out of your loots? Yes it is on certain items.

4. Other than farming for items, is there any other way one can make gold? Quests from lvling and then once you hit lvl80 its all about doing daily quests.

B. Items

1. Can you craft items? If so, how exactly -- in full details -- does this work? Is there something like a "craft level" which determines what you can and cannot craft? Well for starters crafting you have to take with a pinch of salt - most of the best ones are quite expensive and some of them just aren't worth any money nor do they give you decent stuff.

2. Is gambling present in any aspect of the game regarding items? Gambling? not sure i understand your question - if you are on about how loot drops in dungeons its done on a greed/need system.

C. PVP

1. How is PVP in WoW? Does equipment play a big role or is it nerfed when PVPing? Equipment plays a major role in PvP - pretty much expect to get nuked without any gear.

2. Does it involve thinking and strategy or is it just like any other MMORPG out there, where you basically use your best combination of skills ad nauseam in a mindless clickfest? If you want to get the most out of your class then yea there is skill involved.

3. Are there tournaments with rewards for PVPers? Are these rewards worthwhile and tradeable/sellable in game? Arena is the main tournament for PvPers but you cannot sell the equipment you gain from it nor can you trade them.

D. Skills and classes

1. Can someone erase and redo their skill tree if they wish to? Is there any cost or limit to this? Yes you can however it will cost you gold, raising each time you do it.

2. Can someone change class in game? Nope although you can change your sex and name for a fee of course.

Seriously though, imo just download the trial and try it..

I've been playing it for 5 years and quit about 6 months ago (pls bear in mind that i have completed every single raid going and once you have done that theres nothing else left to do) due to it just being a grind once you have you have completed every single raid. Yes i don't regret playing it for this long but lately Blizzard just seem to be cashing in while they can, imho there subscriber numbers will start dropping off in the next year or so.

On a final note you also need to know what you want out of a game - if you love PvE and Raiding then WoW is for you - once ofc you hit lvl80 and get some decent gear through running heroic dungeons cos its mostly a case of being gear checked in pug raids. If you want PvP - i strongly wouldn't advise it if you're into pvp, i did have a Rank 12 Marshall rogue and was a PvP Raid leader back in vanilla wow where my 10man WSG team was all Rank 11 upwards and it took skill and tactics to win, now.. well theres little skill involved - if you have the gear you will pwn and tactics in a pug battleground kinda goes like this.. ZERG! oh crap horde wins yet again lol (or that was what it was like being on Aerie Peak EU alliance). 

• Andr4599Andr4599 Member Posts: 99

When you ge some gear, wow's pvp can be awesome.

Its fast with alot of action in it.

Wow is after all the only mmo used in e-sport.