Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Activision fires Infinity Ward developers.

kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=448656

As the in the link states, the Call of  Duty franchise will move on with a new developing company , sledgehammer games, and i believe this will be the end of CoD as we know it, releasing a CoD game every year might be good, but also very expensive and i think it will be able to see that when we will see their name game in 2011.

And now they want to make CoD a action/adventure kinda online game, i mean come on, it will be funny to see if they try to make it into a wow clone look a like

Comments

• Merlin1977Merlin1977 Member Posts: 168

well i for one wouldn't buy another CoD game on launch day again.. I bought MW2 and within 5hours 37minutes had completed it on veteran - so not exactly worth my £50 which it cost me in the UK!  I went online and there were ppl hacking and cheating even on the xbox360 - soo again won't be buying another CoD game until they stop making the multiplayer the main focus of the game! STOP adding on a single player compaign as if its an after thought!!

I do enjoy their games but i guess as i get older im looking for more value for money in games and im sorry, but CoD doesn't deliver on that aspect.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Originally posted by Merlin1977

well i for one wouldn't buy another CoD game on launch day again.. I bought MW2 and within 5hours 37minutes had completed it on veteran - so not exactly worth my £50 which it cost me in the UK!  I went online and there were ppl hacking and cheating even on the xbox360 - soo again won't be buying another CoD game until they stop making the multiplayer the main focus of the game! STOP adding on a single player compaign as if its an after thought!!

I do enjoy their games but i guess as i get older im looking for more value for money in games and im sorry, but CoD doesn't deliver on that aspect.

Yea i do agree with most of your statement , but i got my CD key from asia, one of thoose that never got banned, so didnt really end up paying more than 35$ for mine.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

They fired them? Did they just create the best selling game of 2009?

Ummm.... Activision is on crack.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Yea apparently they didnt agree on what ways they want to go , activision wants a game every year but infinity ward doesn't want to mass produce their game, one every second year was their statement.

• Lt.FalconLt.Falcon Member Posts: 4

I agree 110%  I know a lot people get a lot of replay value out of multiplayer, but when I buy a game I buy it for the single player campaigns.  I haven't bought a CoD game since CoD 3.  Anymore its the same game with new skins.

But back on topic, it's weird that activision would fire a developer that has done so well for them thus far.  I guess maybe they just wanna take the game in a different direction.  Can't be a bad thing, IMO.

Originally posted by kwai

Yea apparently they didnt agree on what ways they want to go , activision wants a game every year but infinity ward doesn't want to mass produce their game, one every second year was their statement.

Thats dumb they could have easily just released a few DLC a year and made a similar profit.

2-3 DlC at 19.99 each = 1 new game for 60 bucks. Im sure the infinity ward guys would have been down for that.

With that said whatever happened to creating expansions for games? back in the day developers would do that for Fps games. churning out a new game every year is basically a full proof way that your going to kill you franchise. Now everyone usually likes expansions.

Originally posted by Lt.Falcon

I agree 110%  I know a lot people get a lot of replay value out of multiplayer, but when I buy a game I buy it for the single player campaigns.  I haven't bought a CoD game since CoD 3.  Anymore its the same game with new skins.

But back on topic, it's weird that activision would fire a developer that has done so well for them thus far.  I guess maybe they just wanna take the game in a different direction.  Can't be a bad thing, IMO.

But yes and no , taking it in a new direction that is heading towards the adventure genre might not be the best idea for a game like CoD

Nevertheless I would like to see a CoD game that is more campaign focused.  I know I'm probably in the minority.  I seldom use xbox live, and not much for games that make you feel like you have to have an internet connection to play.  Action adventure may not me the best direction for the franchise to take, but it's still interesting, at least to me.

Nevertheless I would like to see a CoD game that is more campaign focused.  I know I'm probably in the minority.  I seldom use xbox live, and not much for games that make you feel like you have to have an internet connection to play.  Action adventure may not me the best direction for the franchise to take, but it's still interesting, at least to me.

While i'll agree the single player campaign is short. But i feel that its a quality experience.

If they could may be bump it up to 10 hours it would be perfect but considering how much shit you can do online i dont mind it.

Falcon why would you buy the game if you dont play online? get a gamefly account and rent the bastard bro.

While i'll agree the single player campaign is short. But i feel that its a quality experience.

If they could may be bump it up to 10 hours it would be perfect but considering how much shit you can do online i dont mind it.

Falcon why would you buy the game if you dont play online? get a gamefly account and rent the bastard bro.

I agree with ya on a 10 hour experience.  There is a lot to do online, I'll give you that.  I suppose I was little quick to say that  I don't like playing games that make you feel required to have an internet connection.  I guess I should have specified Xbox Live.   I use internet gaming for MMOs (so that's where my xbox live money would go).  

But also referring back to what I said earlier, the last CoD game I bought was CoD 3 so I really don't have a stake in anything after that.  When I want to play the newer versions, I just borrow from a friend or something like that.  And that's usually just for the campaigns.  Hope that answers your question.

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

The only CoD game I ever bought was World At War, and while eventually I got my money's worth out of it, I never bought another one again. Although I'll say, I really loved getting 30-40 man kill streaks in a game out of solely sniping from a single window.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

MW2 was a huge disappointment for me. The single player campaign was amazing but incredibly short. The multi player was buggy and plagued with hacks and exploits.

If the CoD Online, or whatever that game will be called is going to be anything like Planetside with massive battles, I'll probably play it. But if it's going to be heavily instanced with 9 v 9 max player limit, I will not play.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

The people that is buying games like MW2 is diving power to assholes like Kotick. 

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

What the heck, shouldn't they be happy that they managed to pull out a #4 on Xfire at $60 bucks each copy? That extra $10 they squeezed from each person must have made a huge difference on the total figure.

Okay, MW1 and COD2 still have more activity than the newest version, but still it's a respectable figure, especially how the game suffers from a huge lack of content and PC-required features.

I wonder how they plan to butcher the IP, Guitar Hero basically crashed after they started to milking out too many games too fast.

Anyway, Battlefield Bad Company 2 comes out in 2 days, that will be my FPS bet of the year.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

No matter how many units MW2 moved... the game sucked.  It was 'feature poor' by not allowing dedi-servers or mod's.  Fail. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

As the in the link states, the Call of  Duty franchise will move on with a new developing company , sledgehammer games, and i believe this will be the end of CoD as we know it, releasing a CoD game every year might be good, but also very expensive and i think it will be able to see that when we will see their name game in 2011.
    And now they want to make CoD a action/adventure kinda online game, i mean come on, it will be funny to see if they try to make it into a wow clone look a like

You misread some things in there. Infinity Ward is currently making map packs for MW2, two of which will be released in 2010.

Treyarch (who made some of the other CoD games) is making the next CoD game to be released in 2011.

Sledgehammer is a new company setup to make action adventure games with the CoD name on them. They are not responsible for making FPS CoD games.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

You misread some things in there. Infinity Ward is currently making map packs for MW2, two of which will be released in 2010.

Treyarch (who made some of the other CoD games) is making the next CoD game to be released in 2011.

Sledgehammer is a new company setup to make action adventure games with the CoD name on them. They are not responsible for making FPS CoD games.

Yes i did read that IW is still making a map pack for Mw2 but it is also listed somewhere that they wanted to bring the CoD franchise into the Action / Adventure genre, which will kill the game , and Sledgehammer is the company taking over after IW , so who else besides them is supposed to make the FPS part ? , surely not IW since they got fired.