Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important changes made to Wurm

AdardowenAdardowen Member UncommonPosts: 69

When you join Wurm as a new player, you will join the GV (Golden Valley) server. It is designed as a place for new players and non-premium players to spend their time, training, doing whatever they want, to get ready for the jump to premium. This server has considerably more monsters than normal and a higher decay rate on things than normal. Don't be discouraged, these things will only serve to help you train your skill faster... though you may find yourself running for your life fairly often.

Now, onto the primary reason I'm making this post. Those of you who enjoy this game but don't enjoy PVP, don't bother subscribing. The Home servers, which were previously havens safe from PVP (with the corresponding consequences of lower ore quality) are no longer safe. Infact, they're being heavily griefed and destroyed by PVPers. Your typical UO or WoW type I'm afraid.

If you enjoy PVP, you may find it easier to just jump straight on to Wild and join one of the towns there. The Home servers didn't stand a chance against the raiding that was recently enabled, and it's too bad. Jenn-Kellon home had some absolutely beautiful projects that have been made useless or been completely destroyed by the recent change.

I will try to answer questions if I can, but I don't check this forum often so be warned, it may take awhile.

Comments

• GurubearGurubear Member Posts: 41

WURM never stands still!

Soon we will be launching a fully NON PvP server - a more casual, relaxed and generally chilled out environtment where you can still do all the things you love so much in Wurm.

Unfortunately, we cannot guarentee that the spiders and bears have got the idea of no PvP - though its nothing that RUNNING LIKE A RABBIT cant solve!!

See you there!

Sound and Music for anything

• MarkerMarker Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by Gurubear

WURM never stands still!

Soon we will be launching a fully NON PvP server - a more casual, relaxed and generally chilled out environtment where you can still do all the things you love so much in Wurm.
    Unfortunately, we cannot guarentee that the spiders and bears have got the idea of no PvP - though its nothing that RUNNING LIKE A RABBIT cant solve!!

See you there!

hmm weird gurubear. Im zaraza in ur game, and from what i remember JK-HOME WAS NON PVP but everything change in a friday when ROLF eager to go in week end and please some friends of his made JK-HOME PVP also. Despite Ive lost members of my village, my own interes and just now i saw my village lost all boats CAUSE UR DEV TEAM FAULT and ofcourse MY TIME BUILDING  FREE TIME i had, u sell me some Bullshit?

I said and i stated again Wurm online like another game i know will remain only a good concept. Rolf some guys payied money and whats comment? "This is the path i always want wurm to have" DOH if so why havent u stated Before? i woudnt buy premium nor lose time building and crafting. JK-HOME WAS A NON PVP SERVER.

But after u saw a significant mass quiting messages and some wind in ur pokets now u want to make a NONPVP server? ROFL?!?!?

All ur team lost already the trust of community, with one way friends thing. How come After one of my villager quit and give away his account to some1 known as doctorchaos account owner next day MY TOWN IN VANDALISED??!!?1?1?1?

Because like i stated and ill stated again WURM ONLINE IS FOR ROLF AND NOTCH FRIENDS

So for any gamer in this world with head on shoulders AVOID BUYING PREMIUM IN WURM. I Already lost enough  money and time.

And i know a lawsuit for fraude will be lose of time and money from my part. but we will see what future will reserve to all of us.

I leave a trace in your life

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

Wurm devs split the diverse population onto two separate servers because of a crybabies?

Bad idea!

Then you end up with a population that is not diverse and half the size.

Originally posted by Smartwhois

Wurm devs split the diverse population onto two separate servers because of a crybabies?
    Bad idea!
    Then you end up with a population that is not diverse and half the size.

No, in fact we have gone from 3 main servers to two main servers and a starter server.

And what crybabies?

Marker

I am sorry, you are speaking complete rubbish.

Rolf made the changes because it was in line with how he had always intended the game, it was nothing to do with his "friends."

In fact, most of us who are his friends gave him hell over it.

The potential of wurm is that is can be several different games. I would actually like to see the world Rolf wanted with a server where there was a war, and the possibilities of raids on home servers that would need to be defended.

But, it would need to be clear to everyone from the outset that that was how it would work, not change part way through.

Wurm has a large percentage of adult gamers who dont like swearing, have no time for confrontation, and don't have the hours in the day to check whether they are being raided on a game site. But they also support the game and contribute heavily to the "society" of Wurm. Many of those (and I am one) like Wurm, but want peace and quiet too.

The nice thing about the Wurm concept is that it is perfectly possible for it to offer both - and I think it should.

The best game world is one that includes all types of players on a single server, including newbies.

The best game world is one that includes all types of players on a single server, including newbies.

Sadly, that is an ideal that really doesn't work, as much as I would love it to.

I really don't like PvP, for instance, and since there are plenty of people who play games that simply would not respect my position on that, I would find playing on a server that allowed PvP no fun - I want to not play for a week and come back to find my house still standing. However, another player may want to play 8 hours a day and just go around attacking people. They are not going to want to be on a server where PvP is not allowed.

It works if you have the right motivators in place. That's the beauty of virtual worlds, anything is possible.

It works if you have the right motivators in place. That's the beauty of virtual worlds, anything is possible.

What motivators?

Motivators for players to police themselves instead of using absolute force.

• IceiceIceice Member Posts: 54

Wurm online, great game, how i love thee,,,

Pimpwars/Cripplesmash/Legend of the Red Dragon/TradeWars 2002/TrollMud/Usurper

Present: Wurm , Fallen Earth

Motivators for players to police themselves instead of using absolute force.

Yes, that is sort of possible. The trouble is that people don't always trust each other, and there are always those whose actions justify that mistrust.

At the end of the day only people with access to the games player account functions, things like banning powers and so on, can sort those out, and even then it is not that simple. We have had people just sign up with every proxy possible, just because they think ruining the game for others is funny. Stopping them ruining others fun can be a full time occupation

Even on a less extreme level there can be some very simple confrontational issues. Ages ago when one player was asked to stop swearing, he complained "I thought this was an ADULT game!!"

The trouble is, my interpretation of an "adult" is someone who knows when NOT to swear, knows how to get on with people, is mature and responsible. His idea of an Adult was someone who was allowed to selfishly do what they liked.

Many players want the game to be policed by proper moderators and want game mechanics to stop many of the issues. Actually, nearly ALL the players want that. You would be amazed how often it is that the people who complain most about moderation are actually the first people to contact moderators when someone caused them trouble! :)

I guess I'm still looking for something to replace the best gaming experience I've ever had - Ultima Online The Second Age.

Maybe Wurm is not it.

UO was about the community, which included handling "issues" as a community, rather than relying on tattle telling and force.

The player freedom is what I miss.

A player may have been free to cause trouble, but he was also subject to be put in his place by the community.

I guess I'm still looking for something to replace the best gaming experience I've ever had - Ultima Online The Second Age.
    Maybe Wurm is not it.
    UO was about the community, which included handling "issues" as a community, rather than relying on tattle telling and force.
    A player may have been free to cause trouble, but he was also subject to be put in his place by the community.

No, Wurm works like that very well. But no game is moderation free. Ultima Online had very active GMs, from what I hear.

I am not sure what you mean by "tattle telling."  If you mean telling the game masters about incidences that cannot be handled by the community, then that is not tattle telling, that is keeping the game free of people intentionally out to make others lives a misery.

But Wurm is VERY different from Ultima Online. It is a lot smaller, for a start!

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Maybe Wurm is not it.

Maybe that xsyon that just popped out of the woodworks might be more appropriate? Assuming it's not vaporware heh

Xsyon looks ridiculous! I'm not interested at all. And I'm not talking about the graphics quality, just the game design.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Iunno, they could definitely work on rendering as far as light/shadows are involved, would definitely help to make it look better a bit, but the style is nicely 'off' from most. I enjoy the kooky.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Sadly, that is an ideal that really doesn't work, as much as I would love it to.
    I really don't like PvP, for instance, and since there are plenty of people who play games that simply would not respect my position on that, I would find playing on a server that allowed PvP no fun

Eh, it would be possible to adapt a transition system similar to Eve's, allowing free travel between pvp and not-so-much-pvp areas.

However, wurm has the unique case of very vocal pvp crybabies who'd probably cause a threadnought if free travel between those areas was even considered, even if it lowered the barrier for pvp considerably.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Yeah, you should totally add a place like Trammel! That worked awesome and didn't spawn a decade of complaining, right?

If people don't want PvP, what's wrong with a non-PvP server? If population is the issue, you can always look more into how one might bridge the servers for important activities, like stack a world instance of PvP and non-PvP within a single server one can opt to transfer between, or that links up for particular server hubs.

As always the comment goes, no matter what you do, some one won't like it.

Also would consider player run policing to always be the best idea, or frequently it isn't. for example in Face of Mankind, they have the police faction, and a decent portion of that faction actually operates pretty smoothly with others and conducts themselves accordingly with other factions based on the game's politics.

However, there is a vast segment of their faction that simply plays for the abilities they are given and grief the hell out of everyone, including their own faction members.

Letting players police themselves is asking for some one to come along and punish the unsuspecting at every possible opportunity given.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

On Wurm you can travel between servers. You could even sail on ships between servers at one point, and that will be introduced again in the future.

You could even sail on ships between servers at one point, and that will be introduced again in the future.

It was disabled after a sudden whinefest from wild players who didn't want people from home to come with their skills intact. During the same time when rolf thought it would be an awesome idea to slap the majority of his player base in the face.

It is doubtful that free travel between the server will ever come back, no matter how much sense it would make from a game design perspective.

Originally posted by batolemaeus

You could even sail on ships between servers at one point, and that will be introduced again in the future.

It was disabled after a sudden whinefest from wild players who didn't want people from home to come with their skills intact. During the same time when rolf thought it would be an awesome idea to slap the majority of his player base in the face.

It is doubtful that free travel between the server will ever come back, no matter how much sense it would make from a game design perspective.

Oh, it will come back.

I will gladly eat my words (and f5 the wurm forum like a mad man), should rolf ever reintroduce free, unrestricted inter server travel.

Originally posted by Deivos

Yeah, you should totally add a place like Trammel! That worked awesome and didn't spawn a decade of complaining, right?

If people don't want PvP, what's wrong with a non-PvP server? If population is the issue, you can always look more into how one might bridge the servers for important activities, like stack a world instance of PvP and non-PvP within a single server one can opt to transfer between, or that links up for particular server hubs.

As always the comment goes, no matter what you do, some one won't like it.

Also would consider player run policing to always be the best idea, or frequently it isn't. for example in Face of Mankind, they have the police faction, and a decent portion of that faction actually operates pretty smoothly with others and conducts themselves accordingly with other factions based on the game's politics.
    However, there is a vast segment of their faction that simply plays for the abilities they are given and grief the hell out of everyone, including their own faction members.

Letting players police themselves is asking for some one to come along and punish the unsuspecting at every possible opportunity given.

The problem with that, is that no players should have special "police" abilities because then as you note, they will be abused. However, if there are rewards for defeating evil characters, then players will naturally purse them. The game just needs a system where players can easily offer and collect rewards.

• XredemptionXXredemptionX Member Posts: 51

Im Redeemed from Wurm, I played on Freedom and made very good friends with most of the community. In my opinion,  Wurm Online had, (and still does have) alot of potential, their is a massive gap in the market that Wurm can fill... Wurm needs to focus alot more into fixing whats already wrong first; animations, combat, accesibility, then focus on introducing more stuff like new skills, better economy, etc etc. 

I think Rolf is focusing on the wrong aspects, which is why Wurm is not what it could be.... "We are but a stepping stone of what we can become" or something like that, some may know where its from ;)