Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the health of this game? How's it doing?

Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Hi guys,

I've been thinking of an interesting game for myself and my g/f to play.  This is one of the games that I have a nostalgic feeling for because I played it for a little bit in 2007, but I was in that phase where I worked really hard thinking I'd get a huge raise (hey I was just out of college) so I stopped playing.

Since I've been hopping from new game to old game trying to find something that will keep my interest for at least a few months.  In terms of EQ2;I miss the diversity of classes, races and the world itself, but I kinda hated the good elf city.

So now that the game has been out for more than 5 years... what's changed?  What server would be good to play on?  Any major class changes?  Is there still only one Ebay type server? 

I saw the game has soe battlegrounds, but when I played on the pvp server back in 2007 it had rampant cheating.  Have things changed?

Comments

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

I briefly went back to it about  6-9 months ago

It seemed a little empty, compared to how it had been before

when i checked last login times on the guild i was in, the most recent had been 2 months before

crafting had been changed a lot in my absence too, mainly by removing the 3 seperate jobs needed to make something and condensing them into a single task ... i actually missed the old method :p

the channels were very quiet too .. took nearly 3hrs for me to get a reply to a Q i had, but it was midweek and it may be better populated at weekends

it still looked & played nicely on my crappy PC ... always a bonus in my view.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Hasn't EQ2 had a pretty constant population for a while now? If you compare to WoW of course it's not very popular, but compared to most P2P MMOs I think it's still one of the most played. Of course, the playerbase is heavily titled towards high end characters now. I would imagine, with the expansion, it'll be a bit busier than usual.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Antonia Bayle is pretty busy. It is a role play server.

Crushbone is a normal server, I have not played on but I understand it is pretty busy too.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

The population is not booming but its not lacking.

I made an inquisitor this past tuesday and Im seeing people around all my way.

My advice, as always is, take a the trial and see for your self.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Just fyi, trial will not really be reflective of the population.  Leveling is quite fast in EQ2, so the majority of players are either at cap or close to it.  Since a new expac has just released, it's a good time to jump in, but be prepared to do a lot of questing and soloing / duoing until you get to 75+ (out of 90).  THat being said, there is TONS of great content to do at those levels and it's been scaled down a bit to be more and more doable solo or in small group in order help people catch up faster in levels.

There is plenty going on at high level.

The main highpoints of EQ2 are great PvE (don't bother if you want PvP) and challenging, yet casual-accessible group and raid content at higher levels.  There are over 5000 quests in the game if that's something you enjoy.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• This is why I hate the advent of 'guild halls' in any game.  Especially in EQ2.  The moment they came out, all the major cities became ghost towns.  So yeah people are there still.  If they are in a guild though, chances are they are in their hall if not out in the field.  You still see some people in towns, but not like it used to be.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Having resubbed in the last couple of days I've noticed the lack of people in the towns. I don't think I saw another player in Qeynos when I visited. It does give an impression of low population. But I've seen plenty of other players out and about in level 40ish areas.

if you have the new expac and want to see people, go to Paineel.  TONS of people in that city.   (but nothing to do for lowbies obviously)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• rywaltrywalt Member Posts: 44

I play on Antonius Bayle and I always see people running around in Qeynos. I think it's the most popular non pvp server.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."
    Paul Atreides

Originally posted by rywalt

I play on Antonius Bayle and I always see people running around in Qeynos. I think it's the most popular non pvp server.

there is no Antonius Bayle server in EQ2.  are you sure you aren't playing EQ1?

- Raph Koster

• rywaltrywalt Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by rywalt

there is no Antonius Bayle server in EQ2.  are you sure you aren't playing EQ1?

Antonia Bayle

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."
    Paul Atreides

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

I'm playing the trial right now.  I'm amazed at all the little things they did to make gameplay fun.

• tayanissatayanissa Member Posts: 8

This game is amazing and yes Crushbone is highly populated  and  you have to remember we have mentoring so you could sign up join a high end guild and have them mentor you.   EQ2 has tons of content and release new content  every 3 months (small content updates)  and new yearly expansions,  Since we just got a new lvl cap to 90 next years expansion will be just content and not new lvl cap.   I have played off and on since release with short breaks (for work and social life)  and it has always kept me interested  and there is always someone trying to lvl a alt so the only problems i have had getting groups is for really early content  like WC  and stuff like that.  

EQ2  quest system is unrivaled by anyone else tons of quests of all types from the kill 10 blah blah blah to  HQ's that really take alot of time to complete

Did i mention housing (says the carpenter)  thank the lord they gave us a extra room last year i needed a junk room to store my stuff.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

EQ2:SF has held the number 1 sales spot for two weeks now.  So pop is finr, actually high right now thanks to expansion and battlegrounds going live.  Too fine actually since the influx have made logging in, zoning and the broker really slow on Mistmoore.

And yes leveling is super fast, so use the AA slider to slow your progress in level so you have a healthy AA count at cap.  Easily go from completely green to cap in two months tops.  I got SF a few days late and through casual solo play am already at 87.  Should hit 90 by Monday fingers crossed.  That said so far... SF is kind of lame from a quest point of view.  Haven't done any instances but the overland quests are way to back and forth and without being able to grab a bunch I spend most of the time in the elevator =(

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

population is good!im playing a sin and as long as you find the proper guild for you ,the population is good.be carefull tho because some area like mok rend and lot of others are livelly pvp wise.

this is a workers game so you ll see player when people arent working  or have busy week schedule.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by Adoni

Antonia Bayle is pretty busy. It is a role play server.
    Crushbone is a normal server, I have not played on but I understand it is pretty busy too.

Quite a few Servers turn Yellow during peak hours(means they have a medium load time-not quite full but getting close) and on  a few occasions mostly on weekends some servers like Crushbone get locked and you have to wait til some people log out before you can join.As far as people go im new to the game myself on Crushbone and im seeing plenty of people my level leveling up in the noob zones.

Hope this helps.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Do you guys recommend any good guilds for leveling up/raiding on Crushbone or AB?  Or a raiding guild that mentors or plays alts with new folks.  I have plenty of mmo raiding experience and I'm open to a lot of different classes (that's actually my biggest issue right now I really like the feel of several classes).  The rested experience is really generous though.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

EQ2 is still one of the most populated mmorpg out there apart from of course WoW.

But the problem with the game is guild halls.Its a blessing for majority as it makes life so much easier but if you are new and come to the cities you will be under the impression the game is a ghost town as players have zero use to go the cities anymore apart from holiday events.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by hercules

EQ2 is still one of the most populated mmorpg out there apart from of course WoW.
    But the problem with the game is guild halls.Its a blessing for majority as it makes life so much easier but if you are new and come to the cities you will be under the impression the game is a ghost town as players have zero use to go the cities anymore apart from holiday events.

you are absolutly right !first question is often where is everybody ?response:with their guildmate or in the guild hall !grin!

yep soe will have to do something to bring back player in the city because for new player i can be deceiving they think game is empty .its a worker or student game they play when time permit.