Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why PC will ultimately crush consoles

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

I don't know what the hell your rambling on about I have no issue at all with my 360 (platform i use the most).

PC platform wont crush shit because slowly but surly due to piracy all the big developers will stop releasing games for a platform when damn near half of the people playing stole the software.

I don't know why where having this conversation PC gaming blows compared to consoles...Once we get the exclusives onto PC then we can talk. No MGS4, Halo 3, Gears 2, Uncharted 2 no thanks!!!!!

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Miles-Prower

I agree about the handheld comment; which is why I made the statement "Remove the handheld sales and you'll see much more even numbers" in an earlier post =P

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

Can't find more detailed info. However, if you go to vgchartz.com ... Wii, PS3 + 360 units sales is roughly 70% of the US market in units with the only handheld being PSP + DS. Since console games are general MORE expensive than portable games, we can safely assume the console software market is >70%.

70% of $10.5B = $7.35B

Still ~14 times bigger than the PC games market.

BTW, steam & d2drive are TRACKED on NPD (and i think steam alone is 70% of the download market) starting mid-2009.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59062

I don't see much difference between those pic, NOT to the point i want to give up comfort for.

Plus, you need a top of the line PC to produce those pic and a vanilla 360 is $200.

Heck, i HAVE a pretty good gaming laptop and I still play most of my games on my 360 (except MMORPGs of course) because of the comfort & no hassle factor.

• lucabrasilucabrasi Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

Console games have grown more and more over time and have passed the PC. Its really just what you prefer neither really are better. From what I've seen PC games are much easier to cheat in :)

THIS. I am inbetween mmo's right now and am contemplating whether to ever go back. Right now I am having more fun on console games I have'nt played for years than getting involved in a new pc mmo. I have dusted off  oblivion for xbox and the orange box, and have played both on the pc version and console versions. I would rather play these on console versions due to this f*ckin reason right here. My prediction is that the next big mmo will be on console because people are fed up with the hacks and goldsellers of the online pc game.

• NotNiceDinoNotNiceDino Member Posts: 320

No. PC will NEVER crush consoles... nor will PC Gaming ever die out, as the "experts" have predicted it was on the verge of doing every few years since years before it even started really catching on.

You make an excellent point though... We are reaching the point where console games have a lot of the same difficulty running as PC Games do as console and HDTV technology has advanced, you can't count on a console game to be 100% plug and play anymore. Personally I used to go the console route whenever possible, but now I find myself going PC whenever it's an option... frankly I would have gotten Mass Effect 2 for the PC if it wasn't for the character importing feature.

Active: WoW

Semi-retired: STO

Fully retired: UO, EQ, AC, SWG, FFXI, DDO:EU, PoTBS, AoC, EvE

Tried: EQ2, Tabula Rasa, Auto-Assault, Isteria, LotRO, Wizard 101

Looking forward to: Star Citizen

Originally posted by NotNiceDino

No. PC will NEVER crush consoles... nor will PC Gaming ever die out, as the "experts" have predicted it was on the verge of doing every few years since years before it even started really catching on.
    You make an excellent point though... We are reaching the point where console games have a lot of the same difficulty running as PC Games do as console and HDTV technology has advanced, you can't count on a console game to be 100% plug and play anymore. Personally I used to go the console route whenever possible, but now I find myself going PC whenever it's an option... frankly I would have gotten Mass Effect 2 for the PC if it wasn't for the character importing feature.

the charactor importing feature was on consoles as well, but much easier. You didn't have to import the charactor, it was done for you.

• hauptmann85hauptmann85 Member Posts: 29

I hope companies will make a console where you can upgrade its parts for better performance and better graphics, so that way, we don't have to keep buying a new console every so number of years!

Oh wait a minute.........       :P

Originally posted by hauptmann85

I hope companies will make a console where you can upgrade its parts for better performance and better graphics, so that way, we don't have to keep buying a new console every so number of years!

Oh wait a minute.........       :P

lol, computers last sooo much longer

• HaegemonHaegemon Member UncommonPosts: 267

PC won't crush anything.

The PC is the Dude from Big Lebowski. The PC doesn't crush, the PC abides.

Take a look at the past few years top PC sales charts, and it's not "core" games making up the top ranks. Typically, its Sims, WoW, with 2-3 wild cards each year. Last years were Spore, Dragon Age and MW2.

Take a further look into the most accessed/played PC games, and the demons of social network sites and micro-casual games like PopCap's lines, and you get the silent majority of the PC "gaming" populus.

Yes, PC's can attain higher graphical fidelity than the current gen consoles. Now, what's the cost of ownership to achieve that? Typically 3-4x the cost of a console, and that can further inflate well into the 3-4000 range for a bleeding-edge system.

So no, PC's won't crush anything. They'll abide. They'll continue to advance things, we'll continue to see consoles use prior PC innovations but integrated into a single-box solution, and people will still get-down with nonsense rhetoric on the internet.

PC's abide.

Lets Push Things Forward

I knew I would live to design games at age 7, issue 5 of Nintendo Power.

Support games with subs when you believe in their potential, even in spite of their flaws.

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Man, OP, calm down...sounds to me like somebody got bullied by their Playstation.

Neither Console, nor PC is going to "crush" the other.  What is going to happen, and is happening already, is that consoles and GAMING PC's are going to be as one.  You'll still have your office PC's of course, but as far as gaming goes, the lines between console and gaming PC will be blurred so much that they disappear all together, and you'll just have one SUPER GAMING MACHINE...this is soley my opinion based on the way things are looking.

And as far as single and multiplayer games go...well, eventually, I see every game having options for online play, with the majority of games becoming online only, but not necessarily MMO.

but again, just my opinion.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• likenewlikenew Member UncommonPosts: 30

The ps2 was my last "console", this is the first generation of consoles that I haven't bought at least one console from.  When I played a console game, it was because I wanted to play it solo, or at most against one other person in the room.  Having to connect online to play solo isn't enticing.  As well, games now a days are in general much much shorter, and twice the price, not even including the DLC content now being taken out and sold the day of release, some of that content that is a necessary component to playing your game.  I doubt either will die, though a merger is more likely.

I must say though, handhelds are the last "console" that hasnt had much of an online impact.  I'd be happy playing old games with outdated graphics on them as well, so long as it has a good story that keeps me interested(ff and dq of old were great!)  The remakes of old games, updating there graphics, is a nice touch, but they changed the gameplay a bit too much for most of them, and aren't as fun now.  Would love to be able to play my genesis, nes, and snes on my ds though, but they don't fit =-)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Explain to us why when we walk into a Gamestop or any other game retail store the entire store is filled with console games and they leave a a very tiny section for pc games. Sure there is digital distributon for pc games but it just shows that there is a higher demand for console games than there is for pc games now.

2. Explain to us why almost every pc game devloper are either looking or currently making mmos for consoles and also planning to put future game franchises on consoles.

PC gaming is not going anywhere but it certainly will not crush the consoles. Consoles are less expensive to maintain and so much easier to code games for compared to the pc. Devlopers want easier solutions for making games not complex ones like the pc brings to the table. I love playing games on the pc but I'm certainly not going to deny that console gaming is the future for many types of games including mmos.

• r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97

I would have to disagree with pc's costing more than a console when ps3's etc come out with for $900 or so on release and i feel they get quite outdated after a couple of years as i dont think they even match a good gaming pc when they are released, I build pc's and can build a good gaming one that will last for about 3 years playing most things on max setting without a problem for around $1000,  As for pc's becoming more popular i highly doubt as majority of console gamers are kids who get them as presents and working class people who dont have a computer knowledge past web browsing and e-mailing who like to just turn on a console and play for an hour or so after work.  

As for piracy i think this could even be higher on consoles, at least every1 i know that owns a xbox 360 has them mod chipped and d/l and burn games with things like steam available for pc gamers offering top games with big discount weekends etc why not pay for it and use online multiplayer and get all the updates.

Looking into the future i think it could be very different then it is now for gamers considering your pc (keyboard,mouse and monitor) is extremely outdated as a user interface heading up to 40 years old now sure it has gotten nicer looking and far more user friendly but essentially it is outdated it isn't even close to keeping up with the amount of information available sort of like a bottleneck, with things being developed such as the us military having a fully mind controlled flight simulator and rid (retinal imaging display) along with a lot of people looking at the next big user interface the next 10- 30 years could see some major gaming advances. ( i know these things for a fact I am a programming student going for a virtual reality major, lecturer worked for us military and was one of the pioneer's of a device called the vader helmet which was a vr flight simulator fuller user controlled and 3d and was also developed in 1972) point being the ability to take gaming to whole level is there it is just a matter of cost atm,  

I apologize if i have gone a little of topic just wanted to add that.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by likenew

I must say though, handhelds are the last "console" that hasnt had much of an online impact.  I'd be happy playing old games with outdated graphics on them as well, so long as it has a good story that keeps me interested(ff and dq of old were great!)  The remakes of old games, updating there graphics, is a nice touch, but they changed the gameplay a bit too much for most of them, and aren't as fun now.  Would love to be able to play my genesis, nes, and snes on my ds though, but they don't fit =-)

GP2X

This is all you really need. It runs Linux and there are emulators for it that go from the Atari 2600 right up to the PSX.

You could also wait for the Pandora, which also runs Linux and has emulators, but If you want something right now then the GP2X is the way to go.

Actually, these kinds of systems would be a good direction for consoles to move in. Something like a little netbook that you can plug into you TV and use multiple controllers with. If something as powerful as the original XBox could be made in this size and sold for about $130, it would shake the industry right down to it's knees.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

Essentially consoles will turn into something like a standarized proprietary computer. I am convinced that the future lies there. Mostly because of piracy.

I for one am glad to be slowly drifting away from the cold uncomfortable desk to the warm couch ^^

Originally posted by r3volt21

I would have to disagree with pc's costing more than a console when ps3's etc come out with for $900 or so on release and i feel they get quite outdated after a couple of years as i dont think they even match a good gaming pc when they are released, I build pc's and can build a good gaming one that will last for about 3 years playing most things on max setting without a problem for around $1000,  As for pc's becoming more popular i highly doubt as majority of console gamers are kids who get them as presents and working class people who dont have a computer knowledge past web browsing and e-mailing who like to just turn on a console and play for an hour or so after work.  
    As for piracy i think this could even be higher on consoles, at least every1 i know that owns a xbox 360 has them mod chipped and d/l and burn games with things like steam available for pc gamers offering top games with big discount weekends etc why not pay for it and use online multiplayer and get all the updates.

I was just looking at Gear of War 2 on my xbox 360 on my big screen HDTV. May be some really high end gaming PC can do better but I highly doubt my eyes can tell a substantial difference. The pic comparisons someone put up a while ago is the best examples. The difference is SO SMALL that i care more about whether i am sitting in a comfortable couch .. then the graphical differences.

Well, at least console games are selling like 14x in revenue compared to PC games (see my earlier post on the numbers). Given that, which one has more piracy matters a lot less. Plus, you have to MOD your 360 and keep it updated to pirate games. PC games are a lot easy to pirate. All you need is an internet connection.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I prefer PC games, always have and probably always will.  But the trend shows consoles are becoming more and more like a mini-computer.  They are getting advanced on an almost yearly basis.  While PC market are simply pumping out faster cpu's and video cards, yet the games are still about samo samo, but with a tad better graphics.  If I was to place a bet, I would bet that pc will never, ever crush the consoles.   It may be the other way around.

Right now we are getting smaller devices that are inching closer to PC power.  Consoles are getting more powerful, more creative.  We are starting to hold mini computers in our hands by ways of iphones.  Unless PC finds a way to get smaller in architecture, and games somehow become really more exciting, I don't see PC crushing consoles at all.

Although I do think most likely both will still co-exist, because the audiences are different.  Many PC gamers do not like console games at all, and many console games don't understand how anybody can play on a computer   I think there's room for both, and console games will continue to be the preferred choices for companies I think, mainly due to profitability.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Elikal

Right now consoles have more and more of the problems of the PC, but mostly NONE of the strenghts.
    No ned to update drivers on a console not wonder if the game will run smoothly or not as it's optimized for your console.
    Recent example caused much suffering to PS3 gamers these past days and to this very day. You know, when I bought by first PS1 I thought, COOL, finally no installing, no waiting for patches (since no internet!), a game you just buy and off to the fun you go. Not so today? With harddiscs, installation and internet came the same things which plague PC for years. This evening I finally wanted to continue by "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" and when started it said "re-installing trophies", stuck at 10%. Forever. Well, WTF I thought, and saw, hey my date is resent to year 2000. THEN I realized my internet connection of PS3 was goners, and after much research I saw PS3 users ALL of the world have issues like this since a week ago Sony PSN began some maintenance. Maintenance your ASS! And as a result of their network going haywire the gamers even of SINGLE PLAYER gamers can't play their games. End of story.
    Buy an XboX 360 or a Wii problem solved

What this has to do with consoles VS PC? Well, consoles are getting the same negatives as PC, but so far NONE of the advantages

Once again false, piracy is way lower on consoles

A mostly clueless rant.

The first thing you are forgetting is developers and publishers make games to earn $$$ and now piracy is a plague to the PC. What you should know is around 80-90% of each installed game on PC are pirated. And that data does not computes the players who purposely prevent game clients to connect to the internet.

Not so long ago most studios knew they had an issue with piracy on PC, but they didn't knew it was that big. Now the word is spreading out and they are mad. For now the developers have the choice either to publish games on PC with the piracy issue or make them for console with the huge second hand market of which they see zero $.

I can say the developers really don't care if the graphics are better on console or PC and they are the one who decides what you will play as making the games available or not. They also don't care which console has the better hardware, they want easy developing tools. The PS3 is a pain to develop no wonder there are less games than on Xbox and the graphics are most of the time worse than the Xbox even if on paper PS3 > XboX

The PC won't crush the consoles but there will be a merge of both. Not only the PC is too complex for the average Joe but the console lacks customization both in terms of UI/mods and hardware.

In not far from now most of your PC applications will run remotely on servers owned by Microsoft, Google, etc and you will use them with you "console". We are getting back to the client/server thing, it's a cycle and a good way to have people pay for it and removing most of the hassle. Also with this you will be able to sell personalized support, translations services, pictures editing help and so.

Onlive is showing the way, just plug any office application inside and many SMB would lean to that to move most if not all their IT to this.

In short the PC is dieing... first gaming then office softwares.

• MangobyteMangobyte Member Posts: 6

Deewe,

I mostly agree with what you've said here.  However, I don't think that the growth of client/server infrastructure necessarily demands the elimination of PCs.  To show this, I'm going to break down computing needs into a few different categories.  I'm leaving some things out, but these strike me as the primary groups of reasons someone will use a computer

• Social Networking - Email clients, Facebook, Twitter, etc.  This category is already being passed on to phones as much as PCs.  There is nothing here that I can do with a PC that I cannot do with an iPhone.  I do find the extra screen real estate nice on a PC, but that is becoming less and less of an issue as content providers design "mobile friendly" versions of their sites.
    • Office Work - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.  This category still benefits highly from the extra screen space on a pc, but these apps are traditionally pretty low-intensity when it comes to processing, memory, and rendering.  Thin clients, netbooks, and cloud-computing will take this over completely before much longer.  As long as you have a keyboard for your console, and something that works well for a mouse, there is no reason this can't be done entirely sans-pc.
    • Studio Work - Audio mixing, 3d drafting, animation, etc.  These things are pretty specialized pieces of software, and they rely on a great deal of file management and organization (something that console still lack, for the most part).  Not only that, but they also tend to be pretty processor intensive, and/or rely on specialized peripherals.  The "open" platform of a PC is well-suited to this solution, and not much else will do, I think.
    • Gaming - Obviously, there are numerous different kinds of games out there, and many of them are already browser-based, or iPhone-specific.  The paradox of the game market is that it will always develop based on the market of its platform.  For instance, the iPhone launched, and many people saw it as a new market for games, so they developed games for it.  The PC is being seen today as a much less reliable platform for games, due to piracy, non-standardized hardware, and other factors, which means game development is beginning to focus more elsewhere.   Consoles are odd, because the platform is developed to support games and little else, while games are developed because the platform exists (or will exist).  If game developers don't believe the platform will take off and don't develop for it, the platform will more than likely flop.  I guess launching a console is very much a faith-based endeavor, and is often reliant on pre-existing relationships with game developers.  Just look at who makes them: Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.  Anyway, all that to say this:

Games will generally be developed for the most profitable platform available.

Right now, that isn't the PC.

Taste the rainbow

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

While I love my PC the console is crushing the PC, and will continue to do so.

How many times have you bought a game, and it not worked immediately, or the game randomly decides not to work one moring? I've had that happen tons of times. Luckily, for me I'm pretty suave when it comes to computers. Sadly, most people aren't, and that is what's killing the PC .

• LogiLogi Member UncommonPosts: 48

it is obvious walking into any retailer, and you can see the console is clearly crushing the PC, not the other way around. Almost every retail branch I walk into , including Fry's now has a slowly dwindling PC Gaming section, with more space being consumed by consoles. So sadly I think you are mistaken.....

Do I prefer gaming on a PC?  You betcha! Is it the wave of the future? I highly doubt it....

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Gotta agree with Dewee - consoles will crush PCs for gaming for one main reason - piracy.  Since consoles can detect changes to their hardware, hacked boxes can be IDed and the account disabled making playing of pirated console games very difficult.  Because there is such variation in PC hardware, this is almost impossible for PC game developers to implement.  They tried with Starforce and other protection methods, but each has been defeated or such a hassle that the game was boycotted.  With either, as long as games are released on discs, they will be piratable [though again, consoles can then limit the usability of the game while the PC has not been successful in doing so].

What may be interesting to see is if consoles: 1. make it so that games are unplayable without an internet connection or 2. release games so buggy that they are almost unplayable without being patched [and the patch is only available to unhacked boxes...].

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Elikal

Ya know, I am mostly a PC gamer, so I am prolly biased. For years and years we hear this talk that consoles are going to crush the PC. Why exactly I never really found logical. Either way, my insights tell me rather the other way around. First, what we see is that atm the two big consoles, PS and XBox are kinda stuck. Sales are mediocre and none of it really has made THE huge market control once expected. Wii, while funny, remains more a niche market for the very casual gamer.
    And most important: what we see is that with every new generation consoles become more like a PC! So it is more like consoles, while still existing, become assimilated to PCs and only remain to be consoles by name at some point in the future.
    Right now consoles have more and more of the problems of the PC, but mostly NONE of the strenghts. Recent example caused much suffering to PS3 gamers these past days and to this very day. You know, when I bought by first PS1 I thought, COOL, finally no installing, no waiting for patches (since no internet!), a game you just buy and off to the fun you go. Not so today? With harddiscs, installation and internet came the same things which plague PC for years. This evening I finally wanted to continue by "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" and when started it said "re-installing trophies", stuck at 10%. Forever. Well, WTF I thought, and saw, hey my date is resent to year 2000. THEN I realized my internet connection of PS3 was goners, and after much research I saw PS3 users ALL of the world have issues like this since a week ago Sony PSN began some maintenance. Maintenance your ASS! And as a result of their network going haywire the gamers even of SINGLE PLAYER gamers can't play their games. End of story.
    Ya know I passionately, vividly HATE this damn trend of games, be it PC or console, to every time connect to the damn internet. Bioware's games, my PC version of Batman Arkham Asylum, the list gets longer every year and FUCK IT I just wanted to play some damn single player game, have my own game world and for ONCE I DONT want to care what anybody else in the WWW is doing! But noooo, nothing without internet today. Gone are the days where console games were great and you just entered the disc and off to fun.

I am just pissed about all this. Why can't they just save MY trophies on MY console and I dont care rats ass what trophies others have, as much as I hate all those new online verifications for single player games. Or the damn endless stream of mini DLC. Get the new kick ass companion HERE, or the new super trendy costume THERE. I just want my single player games single, no internet, no updates, no online community coordination as in the good olde days of modems. When I want to play my single player games, I want to stay AWAY from all the internet this internet that. But they don't let me!
    What this has to do with consoles VS PC? Well, consoles are getting the same negatives as PC, but so far NONE of the advantages, like having a machine which can do your work or text or lets you draw or whatever else you hobbies may be. Not to forget that a PC game is €40 for 50 hours while a PS3/XboX360 game is €70 for 12 hours of fun. Which is not REALLY kid/teen friendly for their main target group either. So in my book consoles are a failed concept and will in the long term half vanish, half become a PC.

Link to news:
    playstationlifestyle.net/2010/02/28/playstation-network-goes-down-ps3-titles-not-working/

As long as consoles are cheaper to produce than gaming PCs and cheape/easierr to program games for they will always be more successful than PC gaming.  And that pretty much means forever.

The ease of pirating games and distributing cracks on a PC via bittorrents is just topping on the cake.

I don't like it either, I find it irritating when my very expensive gaming computer collects dust because game "X" that I want doesn't come out for the PC(damn you FFXIII) and I end up dusting off my craptastic underpowered lowresolution 360... but you need to stop living in the land of fairytales thinking its ever going to change. 

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

I doubt cloud computing will totally take over the PC. People already are in an uproar over the fact that nowadays we basically buy a "license" for PC games instead of the game itself. Cloud computing = licensing period.

While it's true that with the spread of PCs a lot of people who own PCs don't know how to fix issues when they crop up, it's also true that someone referenced over 500 million in PC game sales for 2009. I don't know about you, but 500 million dollars is a lot of money where I come from, and unless you're Epic Games, you're not going to abandon the PC market when you've already made a name for yourself.

I doubt PCs will ever crush consoles, but I agree with the point that consoles are basically PCs now. I don't buy my PC games from the specialized "game box store" because I know PC games take about 2% of the floor room there, and most of the sales pitch is for consoles.

I've accepted that we license the ability to play our games now, and personally I've embraced digital distribution when it means I can get a much better deal than buying from amazon or newegg. However, I have bought from both amazon and newegg when they were cheaper. 

You have to be a smart consumer and use money where it's most effective. I got a Guild Wars expansion for 5 bucks on sale at newegg. That turned out to be a lot of fun. I also got Pirates of the Burning Sea for 5 bucks at newegg, that turned out to be something I don't enjoy.

If you're smart you can get great deals on newly released titles for the PC. I got a copy of Mass Effect 2 legitimately for 35 bucks plus shipping on a well known website. If you look at consoles, you're basically herded into always paying more than you do for PC, however with the huge success of the gun nuts buying MW2 at 60 bucks a pop on the PC we are starting to see Acti/Blizz set prices on new products at 60 instead of the traditional 50, and this is spreading to Ubisoft (Look at AC2) and other companies.

Somewhere along the line the consumers forgot that we, the consumers, set the price, because companies only charge what we will pay.

Will consoles crush PCs? They already have. The fact that PC gaming still exists is a testament to the fact that some developers refuse to give up on the platform. Also, if you think piracy is low on the consoles, you are sadly mistaken. Go to demonoid and look at the torrents for new games. The newest releases being seeded are all console versions, with a few PC versions here and there. Gotta do the research if you want to back up your claim.

Console pirating is a HUGE issue, which is why the console makers are doing everything in their power to force your console to be connected to the internet. If they know you pirate, which they can easily tell if your console is connected, then they mark you on a list. They may not do anything right away, but they have you marked as a modder/pirate in their little black book.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

PC will never regain the ground it has lost to consoles as far as gaming goes. Consoles will just continue to gain more of the gamer market.

People want easy, people want fair. On PCs you have to first make sure your rig is compatible with the game, so many different companies making technology causing issues to crop up all the time. Game X has an issue with ATI cards while game Y has an issue with NVidia cards. Then you get into the aspect of the person who spends the money for the top of the line rig now gets an advantage over you in game, people don't like that kind of system.

Now you have consoles which hook up to the internet and play the same games. Everyone has the same level of equipment making it fair. The game companies know exactly the specs they're designing for so they can make it work for everyone and get every last bit of power out of the machine.

I prefer gaming on a PC but there is no denying that the option to do so will eventually vanish for real games (casual games will always be playable on everything).