Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft Going Downhill...

ZacruneZacrune Member Posts: 126
From all of the negative talk about Warcraft,its seems that the game is lacking alot and players are starting to just quit.The game is going Downhill for lots reasons: The gameplay is boring or needs to be improved,The game it self says its massive but where the heck is everyone? It seems like the game was fun in the past,But have they gone to far?-Will the New Expansion fix theses problems?-and what will the future hold for warcraft?-So will warcraft be worth giving another shot at?

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I bought the last expansion and played for about 20 days.   I won't buy the next.  People have just done it before. . there is only so new you can make it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Well all games goes down hill as they age more and more anyways.

Why would WoW be an exception?

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

You just noticed this now? People are starting to notice how bad of a game and how bad the community in WoW really is finally. They are starting to go elsewhere. I quit myself way before thd 1st expansion came out, Haven't gone back since. Community was bad then and it could only have gotten worse. Plus the point of raiding is pretty much gone now in WoW, back when it first came out if you could raid you were part of the elite, now a days any moron can raid.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Zacrune

From all of the negative talk about Warcraft,its seems that the game is lacking alot and players are starting to just quit.The game is going Downhill for lots reasons: The gameplay is boring or needs to be improved,The game it self says its massive but where the heck is everyone? It seems like the game was fun in the past,But have they gone to far?-Will the New Expansion fix theses problems?-and what will the future hold for warcraft?-So will warcraft be worth giving another shot at?

*rolls eyes* been hearing this line for over 4 years now... Did it really require another thread on the heaps of threads that have been claiming for years the WoW is going downhill?

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421
    Originally posted by linren

I don't agree with this statement at all.

EVE Online for one is an example of a game that just keeps getting better with age, I'm sure there are other examples too.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Hoobley

EVE Online for one is an example of a game that just keeps getting better with age, I'm sure there are other examples too.

I agree with it because the most important part of any rule is that there is ALWAYS notable exceptions(outliers).

However, WoW will still be the king for many years to come.

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

give up.  It is still going strong.  If it had 1/8 of the members it did now, it would still be the most populated MMO.  The guys above me are right, they say this for every game and have said it about WoW for awhile.  Let trolls be trolls!

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

In the background the sound of an old scratchy record is heard hissing and jumping as it plays the same three words over and over again as it has done for countless years.

".....warcraft is going downhill...(Scratch)..warcraft is going downhill....(Scratch)....warcraft..."

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

I used to think that WoW "was better a long long time ago". But that isn't actually the case.

Vanilla was decent, but nowhere near as polished as Northrend is now (and Cataclysm will be, probably). Levelling up was an utter pain unless you followed a guide that led you through almost every single quest in the game or if you enjoyed grinding the same dungeon over and over again. Raids were an absolute nightmare compared to now - Try organizing a few 40-man raids to Molten Core back then. PvP was, as bad as it is now, even worse back then, as it was essentially an afterthought.

WoW has gotten better with age. It even focused on the part of the market it appealed to more than it did back then - The casual player. That's something to be commended, not condemned. The "hardcore" whiners represent the vast, vast minority in the community, and if the game catered to only them it would be down from 10 million to maybe 250,000 players if they're lucky.

Don't let nostalgia fool you. The game was new back then and it amazed you, probably, something it can never do again. It can only hold your interest by offering you better versions of itself. The same goes for every single MMO out there, including EVE, though CCP can afford to make large design changes more easily because of the nature of the game. Comparing sandbox and themepark development is difficult at best, for obvious reasons (go figure them out).

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

You are just nitpicking.  EVE did get a great boost of player, but so do most games at one point or another, but you can't fight time.  Lets see you say EVE get better at better with age after another decade.  See, while you can nitpick on my general comment, yours comment is the same way if I cared to nitpick.  Except mine actually works when as time goes on, but yours doesn't.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Vortigon

In the background the sound of an old scratchy record is heard hissing and jumping as it plays the same three words over and over again as it has done for countless years.
    ".....warcraft is going downhill...(Scratch)..warcraft is going downhill....(Scratch)....warcraft..."

That's 4 words! lol

But anyway, I'm quite sure Blizzard already know this. That's why they made it so that people from different servers can play together to find a PUG. They've already started making another MMO and pretty soon at least I think majority of the people will jump on over to it once it releases. Whether its going downhill a lot, its kind of a good thing that people start to realize that a good game doesnt last forever. Also, those that quit can populate other mmo's.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

The game itself is pretty awesome. It's the players that fail.

What do you do as a developer when your community is rotten to the core?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

I used to think that WoW "was better a long long time ago". But that isn't actually the case.
    Vanilla was decent, but nowhere near as polished as Northrend is now (and Cataclysm will be, probably). Levelling up was an utter pain unless you followed a guide that led you through almost every single quest in the game or if you enjoyed grinding the same dungeon over and over again. Raids were an absolute nightmare compared to now - Try organizing a few 40-man raids to Molten Core back then. PvP was, as bad as it is now, even worse back then, as it was essentially an afterthought.
    WoW has gotten better with age. It even focused on the part of the market it appealed to more than it did back then - The casual player. That's something to be commended, not condemned. The "hardcore" whiners represent the vast, vast minority in the community, and if the game catered to only them it would be down from 10 million to maybe 250,000 players if they're lucky.
    Don't let nostalgia fool you. The game was new back then and it amazed you, probably, something it can never do again. It can only hold your interest by offering you better versions of itself. The same goes for every single MMO out there, including EVE, though CCP can afford to make large design changes more easily because of the nature of the game. Comparing sandbox and themepark development is difficult at best, for obvious reasons (go figure them out).

I commend you, you have said the only truely well thought out thing in this entire thread.

I especially agree with the parts in red. I think all the people who say, "Its going down hill," are just like the people asking for classic servers. They are bored and burned out with the game and think that it is beause of how the games has changed not because they have changed.

They also think that since they are bored and their friends are bored, EVERYONE must bored and EVERYONE must be quitting and finding new stuff.

They fail to realise that EVERY mmo has people joining and leaving every day. According to an interview I recently read the total number of people that have EVER subcribed to WoW is at least 3-4 times bigger than the number of curent subcribers.

That means that at least 20 or 30 million people have subcribed then decided to quit later on. The sub numbers have kept growing until recently because the numbers coming in has always been bigger than going out.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Give them more raids obviously.

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

You are just nitpicking.  EVE did get a great boost of player, but so do most games at one point or another, but you can't fight time.  Lets see you say EVE get better at better with age after another decade.  See, while you can nitpick on my general comment, yours comment is the same way if I cared to nitpick.  Except mine actually works when as time goes on, but yours doesn't.

No need to be so defensive, you made a statement saying that 'ALL GAMES' get worse with time, I simply pointed out that I didn't think it was true and backed it up with an example.

EVE after a decade? well it's been running for a long time already and everything on the horizon points towards it just getting bigger and better.

Call it nitpicking if you like, sorry we don't see eye to eye on this.

• taramirtaramir Member UncommonPosts: 74

The thing with WoW dieing is that I dont think it really means that other games will grow. Lets say that WoW has 3 mil NA players, probably somewhat close to accurate, Id say 2 out of 3 of those will probably quit the genre when WoW gets stale for them. I dont think WoW attracted the core MMO player.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Swoogie
    I agree with it because the most important part of any rule is that there is ALWAYS notable exceptions(outliers).

I don't think so. Many years is a long time and the game is 6 years already. It does still have a solid base even after they lost most of China but several tripple A games are finally coming out in 2011:

Guildwars 2. The first game is actually the only western MMO besides Wow that had several millions western players and it was a low budget game. The second have full budget and a peristant world with dynamic quests. Add no monthly fee or itemshop and the same lead designer as Diablo and Warcraft 3 (and Wow for the first 2-3 years in development). It will be a tough game to compete with.

The old republic online. Bioware have always competed with Blizzard on close terms, they wont get exactly the same players but the game will probably sell a lot. So far have all their games gone well at least.

Final fantasy XIV: FF have many fans all over the world and the game sells a lot. Don't count the second FF MMO out.

World of darkness online: CCP have proven what they can do with Eve and a Gothic horror MMO together with the devs from the PnP games will be something different.

Even if none of these games will take all of Wows players will things look very different in 2012. My guess is that Wow will still be rather large but just one of several games. If any game will be largest then it will be GW2.

Wow had a great run and it will be aroound for many more years but 2010 is the last year it will be unchallenged. There have been very few good MMO made by competent devs for a long time now but a lot of good MMOs by competent devs are on their way. The games I mentioned are not the only interesting games on the way, just the 4 I personally believe are the most likely to become big.

And to be frank, if Blizzard really thought that Wow still would be largest for many years do you really think they would have moved Kaplan to their next project? They know that Wow can't last forever and have moved their best guy to be the boss over their next game, hoping it will work out as well as Wow did.

Nothing lasts forever (except death).

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Loke666

I don't think so. Many years is a long time and the game is 6 years already. It does still have a solid base even after they lost most of China but several tripple A games are finally coming out in 2011:

Guildwars 2. The first game is actually the only western MMO besides Wow that had several millions western players and it was a low budget game. The second have full budget and a peristant world with dynamic quests. Add no monthly fee or itemshop and the same lead designer as Diablo and Warcraft 3 (and Wow for the first 2-3 years in development). It will be a tough game to compete with.

The old republic online. Bioware have always competed with Blizzard on close terms, they wont get exactly the same players but the game will probably sell a lot. So far have all their games gone well at least.

Final fantasy XIV: FF have many fans all over the world and the game sells a lot. Don't count the second FF MMO out.

World of darkness online: CCP have proven what they can do with Eve and a Gothic horror MMO together with the devs from the PnP games will be something different.

Even if none of these games will take all of Wows players will things look very different in 2012. My guess is that Wow will still be rather large but just one of several games. If any game will be largest then it will be GW2.

Wow had a great run and it will be aroound for many more years but 2010 is the last year it will be unchallenged. There have been very few good MMO made by competent devs for a long time now but a lot of good MMOs by competent devs are on their way. The games I mentioned are not the only interesting games on the way, just the 4 I personally believe are the most likely to become big.

And to be frank, if Blizzard really thought that Wow still would be largest for many years do you really think they would have moved Kaplan to their next project? They know that Wow can't last forever and have moved their best guy to be the boss over their next game, hoping it will work out as well as Wow did.

They lost CHina due to not having a distributor for the xpac. All those players left for greener pastures after that. THats why WOW numbers appear to be going down.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraftexp1/news.html?sid=6250980

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• OtachOtach Member UncommonPosts: 74

SWG keeps getting better with age

or at least the memory of it 

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I think the second poster has a much better point here. EVE didn't get a boost, they have shown steady and consistent increases over time. No one, not even developers, expect a game to last for 15+ years, and few would even pray their game show steady increases for over decade.

Most importantly, EVE and CCP show the type of business model that can have success in a market dominated by WOW. As to WOW going downhill, I don't buy it, they are dominating the market as well as ever. The few games that have success in their shadow have to be smart, creative and lucky.

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602

Smile. I too like to have an alternative in playing a decent MMORPG. But...

Look at those AAA+ titles that were going to beat up WOW with "a hook to its chin and low blow to its stomach".

EQ2 (launched in the same month), DDO, Lotro, GW, TR, AoC, WAR, Hellgate, Aion, CO, ST and a couple of dozen more.

There is not much Lore left these days after having burned Middle Earth, Star Trek, Warhammer, Conan, Comics heroes etc...

In fact the new big AAA+ alternatives are getting thin, really thin.

Wow is not going downhill OP - certainly you - as a 14 year old agenda setter - is not going to see a new trend here.

Besides it is based on what?

As for China: http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2010/02/25/netease-scores-in-the-fourth-quarter.aspx

4th Q results of Netease confirmed the rebounce of WOW in China (and the former Blizzard financial report of Feb 2010).

In fact, the last year showed the train was never running faster: dual specs, cross server mechanics optimized, experience through PvP,...

The game never before had so much dungeon crawling in its leveling department and Cata isn't even out yet with  an emphasis on PvP this time.

I am afraid the Billion dollar income per year is only now beginning to show its results.

(knowing Blizzard how s l o o o w they are)

Let's discuss this again when the yearly income of WoW will drop to 500 million dollars instead of 1.2 billion.

Then you'll have a ground.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

WoW could spiral all the way down to 100k subs and it'd still be a successful MMO, and chances are it won't drop below six zeros for at least two or three years if not a decade.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

thank you.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Loke666

I used to play vanilla WoW and then quit right after TBC came out becuase of money issues. Then I played lotro and spent roughly 3 years hating WoW. I recently came back becauce my best friend decided to try it. Man, I am having fun. I do not think it is the best MMO on the market, just VERY polished. I personally like LoTRO more but really good game(WoW) + friends > great game, imo. Thats why I play WoW and I have had both postitive and negative feelings towards the game. However I think it is maturing very well and isnt trying to change into something its not. (like how EQ tried to become WoW, that drove me insane when I returned to it. It was empty, levels came toooo fast , hard to solo, no one to group with and thus i couldnt get my spells. WoW isnt changing itself becuase it doesnt need to)

That being said,

I believe WoW is 5, that is when EQ,the old king, went downhill because of WoW. Now if history repeats then SWTOR(my guess) will be the new king. BUT It will not happen over night because WoW is soo immense. SWTOR is prolly going to launch Q4 2010 or Q1 2011. It will take a while for it to either reach WoW's numbers and/or take enough away for them to even out. I predict that if this were to happen it would have to be atleast 2 years.

Yup those numbers came right outta my arse because thats how i think things will go. That leaves about 3 years until WoW is dethroned. This aint happening in 3 years.

• J.YossarianJ.Yossarian Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by Zacrune

From all of the negative talk about Warcraft,its seems that the game is lacking alot and players are starting to just quit.

So some people are proclaiming how they dislike WoW on forums? That is hardly a very solid base for making serious predictions. For most people here it seem to be all wishy washy "I don't like it so I'm sure it must be going down". Wanting something to be true is not a very strong starting point, not is it very interesting when presented as predictions.

There has been lots of threads about WoW not growing in 2009, yet noone has tried to face up to the problems of the financial resesion nor the troubles WoW has had in China. In a year where the industry is losing, status quo isn't all that bad. Certainly a good analysis would have to at least touch by the other possible reasons for 2009 being a slow year. The big question though is and remains how Cataclysm does and that remains to be seen.

Loke666 raises a valid point about competition in 2011. I do have my doubts as we've heard that one before, it might finally strike true. Again, we'll have to wait, though. So I guess what I'm saying is that we do not have the information to make these predictions. As such I find most of the threads to this effect a bit silly, it's more what people want to happen than what there is good reason to expect.

Edit: Oh I thought I should mention my doubts as to SW:TOR. I hope I'm wrong, but they way I see it Bioware as a developer are good at storytelling. Gameplay wise their games are decent, but not great. SW:TOR seems to follow the mold as such (though it's hard to say anything about the gameplay without having tried it). That leaves the question if the game will have the longevity of a more gameplay focused game made by a developer more renowned for good and addictive gameplay. I simply doubt that voiceacting will keep it going that long, though I really do hope I'm wrong.