Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF it comes!

MhorhamMhorham Member Posts: 146

Online games are about more than just the concept or the graphics engine. They are about the sustained service, accesabillity and managemnt of the community. Over time I have come to believe that Mournings creators and the vauge ghost of the us publsiher do NOT have what it takes to manage customer service and support for a mmo. Thier performance leading up to the third announcemnt of the releace of this game has proven to me that they had no real game-plan for final beta,stress testing or release and marketing. How could i believe they are capable of running a persistant world and manging the community after all we have seen? 

Never could i have imagined such a screwed up mess as Mourning.

Comments

• ArcariusArcarius Member Posts: 72

No arguments with that.

That's the exact reason my guild (Eternal Vigilance http://www.evcitadel.com/) closed our Mourning division.

Eternal Vigilance - NOW RECRUITING

-Flavius Vegetius Renatus
  • HarelinHarelin Member UncommonPosts: 409

Even more amusing is the fact that they as a first-time MMORPG developer want to allot only one week's time worth of beta.

I have no doubt the game exists, but I think many are in for a rude-awakening. Their strategy henceforth has been "develop a game > publish it" with no care whatsoever to the intricacies and attention to detail required in between. Marketing, community relations, proper testing... you name it.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    The game has been in beta for almost two years, it is going into OPEN beta for a week.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Originally posted by Harelin

Even more amusing is the fact that they as a first-time MMORPG developer want to allot only one week's time worth of beta.

This is my point, the game has been in beta for two years.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

Then please see my 950 word response as to why that beta is inadequate...

• MhorhamMhorham Member Posts: 146

Originally posted by vmoped
    The game has been in beta for almost two years, it is going into OPEN beta for a week.

no comment on if you think these clowns can run a persistnt world and handle all the issues that come up in a game like this?

What happens after the preorder people play an open beta for week?

• ShrubberShrubber Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by vmoped

The point is that unless it is a public beta, it isnt a true beta. Yes a few guys around the office might be playing, but no real stress to the servers. A two week public beta is weak sause......
  • AmishFighterAmishFighter Member Posts: 9
    I don't care what people say, I just found this game about a month ago but I'm willing to wait while their havin trouble putting the finishing touches on this game cause once it's done it has amazing concepts and dark fall ya seems cool but to bad it's not third person view..... wow thats gonna be fun gettin raped from behind constantly.

Ultima Online - UO Atlantic Gold for Sale ICQ Me: 321-375-826

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Im not sure Id describe being constantly raped from behind as being "fun", but I guess we all have different ways of enjoying ourselves. image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Originally posted by AmishFighter
    I'm willing to wait while their havin trouble putting the finishing touches on this game

Hahahahaha.

"Finishing touches"

That's funny. ::::28::

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

ALOT of successful MMORPGs have not been to open beta...

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

Like which?

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

The simple fact is Mourning has been in beta for over 2 years and will have a stress test in open beta.

Open beta may run for longer than 1 week.  Mourning has some unique features.

inferno - those are basically the facts - anything else is just your very biased and illogical opinion. Let me ask you a simple question would you prefer to play cookie-cutter WoW or EQ2 rather than something trying to be a little bit different? The Mourning devs are professional and have put their heart into the game, which i imagine is why they become slightly irate with all the trolls. To me that passion is better than the corporate teams of WoW and EQ2.

And EQ2 didn't have a true open beta - in the sense that it wasn't open to all who wanted to participate.

2000 people per server, with a total of 4000 server slots.

Is NOT a stres test, if it really is an effective stress test for their servers, I'm not going to play simply because you'll never run into other players on the server - you might as well play a single player game.

And EQ2 didn't have a true open beta - in the sense that it wasn't open to all who wanted to participate.

Firstly, EQ2 is run by Sony, who probably has more MMORPG experience than ANY other single company out there. Secondly, you can have a successful closed beta that stress tests your servers when you have that kind of experience, and that mind of member base.

You have NO idea what you're talking about. Mourning isn't even in the same league as EQ2.

As the previous poster has excellently stated: Mourning is not in the same league as EQ2 or WoW. Both game companies have a lot more money, a lot larger dev teams and a lot more experience making games. Both games also had decent marketing prior to release. Furthermore the Mourning dev team is unknown, their publisher is unknown, their treatment of their own community is so far unprecedented. I'm already envisioning a new editorial "The birth and death of Mourning"... featuring the people who were alienated by Tiamat and those who gave up on this game, full of empty promises.

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

I still fail to see your points. You're basically saying SOE et al have huge amounts of money and Mourning doesn't. OK i agree so what?? That in itself doesn't prove anything- the Mourning devs know their game very well since they are a small team and i think that will help them smooth out any OB problems.

And why not open beta with the ppl you know are actually interested in playing/improving the game rather than those who want to play something for free for a while. 4000 ppl should be enough for starters - they can always increase that number (as i expect they will do once things are progressing smoothly).

So out of interest what mmorpgs are you Mourning trolls  playing?

Currently none. I'm waiting for Dark and Light.

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Online games are about more than just the concept or the graphics engine. They are about the sustained service, accesabillity and managemnt of the community. Over time I have come to believe that Mournings creators and the vauge ghost of the us publsiher do NOT have what it takes to manage customer service and support for a mmo. Thier performance leading up to the third announcemnt of the releace of this game has proven to me that they had no real game-plan for final beta,stress testing or release and marketing. How could i believe they are capable of running a persistant world and manging the community after all we have seen? 

Never could i have imagined such a screwed up mess as Mourning.

This coming from a guy with the darkfall website as his sig LOL.

At least this game is going to be released. I doubt Darkfall will ever be released.

I still fail to see your points. You're basically saying SOE et al have huge amounts of money and Mourning doesn't. OK i agree so what?? That in itself doesn't prove anything
    No one said that in itself proved anything. SOE has a reputation to rely on, this dev team does NOT. Who's more reliable? Tom Brady - 3 time Superbowl Champion Quarterback, or David Carr - a relatively unheard of starting quaterback for the Houston Texans.

4000 ppl should be enough for starters - they can always increase that number (as i expect they will do once things are progressing smoothly).
    "I still fail to see your points."

I wonder why?
    YOU'RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

One week isn't enough time to hold a beta in the first place, let alone "increase that number... once things are progressing smoothly." One week isn't enough time to get ANYTHING to progress smoothly in the gaming/programming industry.