Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok So whats wrong with GameGuard?

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

I see alot of yap yap nagging on the subject of GameGuard.

GameGuard is for hacking protection, so whats wrong with it?

I dont know much on it, which is why I am asking.

I see much hate for GameGuard from the MMORPG community.

Comments

• YamothYamoth Member Posts: 182

For it to work correctly for some, it forces you to disable your anti-virus.  It often bugged out and crash the game.  When it does work, it does next to nothing in preventing players from hacking.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

hey what popular games currently have this system?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Yamoth

For it to work correctly for some, it forces you to disable your anti-virus.  It often bugged out and crash the game.  When it does work, it does next to nothing in preventing players from hacking.

That is the most concise and most accurate response I have seen regarding the issues people have with GG. 

It probably isn't enough to prevent the wallotext tinfoil-hattery from showing up to issue the proper warnings and expose the hidden evils, but we can hope.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by tro44_1

I see alot of yap yap nagging on the subject of GameGuard.
    GameGuard is for hacking protection, so whats wrong with it?
    I dont know much on it, which is why I am asking.
    I see much hate for GameGuard from the MMORPG community.

All is wrong... GG gives a false sense of security. Tells you you're using "illegal" tools while you're not, and those using botting programs can easily bypass the whole GG compeltely.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Yamoth

For it to work correctly for some, it forces you to disable your anti-virus. 
    This can of course be true to some people, I have used it but never had to turn off anything. 
    It often bugged out and crash the game. 
    Never noticed it bugged or crashed, tho see this many times with all sorts of anti hack or some sort of security tool with games where people seem to have problems with it, still not sure why it is causing that much trouble with allot of people, must be extremly lucky with gaming.
    When it does work, it does next to nothing in preventing players from hacking.
    Only thing I feel could be true, since there always are people who want to break it.

In the end can't I can't really tell what is wrong with GameGuard as I never had any problems with or without it.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

In my case, GameGuard conflicted with my security software (Comodo) and caused instant desktop crashes. GameGuard is essentially a rootkit and Comodo recognized it as such and attempted to prevent it from doing it's job (since rootkits are bad, mmkay?).  GameGuard treated Comoodo like a prohibited app and tried to shut it down, which was then interpreted as hostile by Comodo.  The end result is that the conflict caused my machine to crash when loading up the game I was trying to play ( Exteel).

At the time, the only workaround was to permanently disable a feature of Comodo.  Regardless, desktop crashes are bad due to the possibility of OS and data corruption as well as potential hardware issues.

That's why I don't like Gameguard...  I have played other games with GameGuard successfully, but overall, I tend to avoid them.

~Ripper

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

There is nothing wrong with it, but like any PC app, there are isolated cases of people having problems with it. MS Office is much more likely to cause you trouble than GameGuard and I mean that seriously.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

As I have been out of MMO gaming since 06, I have not utilized it.

The word "root kit" is the debil though.

If there is a way for companies to keep cheats out without utilizing a root kit, then I am all for it. I have no problem with them monitoring what I am running, on my system, when playing their game. Whether that be a second program running in parallel, or the game itelf making checks on the fly.

Just keep their root kits to themselves.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I had a problem with GG playing Lineage 2 on XP where it would crash at startup, the workaround was to delete the GG file everytime I logged in, this worked and I was happy. So I "upgrade" to Vista and now cannot log in without it crashing. So I contacted NCsoft and they sent me things to do like switch off my antivirus and such, by the end of a week of communication with support my computer was effectrively naked and anyone could abuse my vunerable PC if they wanted to and guess what it still did not work, I gave up. Now another such program callede FireGuard which RF Online uses works without getting in my way, so I really don't understand GG's problem and at the moment dislike GG a lot because I cannot play L2, though of course I might be an isolated case but they did remove it from AION and it has a reputation so I really cannot be can I?

Cal....

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

WoW stores most of it's variables on the server so they can't be easily hacked.

Many games store variables on your PC.  Darkfall does this.

Even then it is possible to warp in WoW by spoofing information sent to the server.

WoW doesn't use Game Guard but it does use a program that gathers information about your system.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Like others have said gameguard causes enough technical problems for a sizable part of  consumers to make note of.But the real issue is that it really does nothing  to prevent hacking at all and is just another program running resident in memory for no reason at all.

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

For one thing it is not very well written, and it over protects especially with certain third party software such as Anti-virus.

Basically Anti-virus views Gameguard as a virus, and Gameguard views Anti-virus as a hacking program.  Both tries to over write each other and cause error via privilege escalation. This was partially solved by Gameguard updates (since no way in hell AA is going to do it out of the kindness of their heart) which allows Gameguard and Anti-virus to be running at the same time.

Of course the way Gameguard does things is to hide processes through a behavior similar to a rootkit in order to prevent hacking softwares (note: not a real rootkit, no matter what try to people tell you)

However, I have seen anti-virus softwares that bury itself deeper into my system than Gameguard.  I suppose the name Anti-virus make people blind sometimes, but whatever since this is not the point.

Gameguard was developed to prevent use of hacking tools in cybercafe because the access privilege level in a cybercafe does not give the user enough control over the operating system to do any sort of real hacking.  Which means all Gameguard had to do was prevent the third party cheat tools from running.  Of course, it doesn't work so well in western market since we don't nearly have enough cybercafe, and people have full access privilege over their PC to get around Gameguard.

The Gameguard issue is basically complex, but it is partial poor coding and some PC user's lack of knowledge created fear.  Which makes Gameguard notorious. Of course the word "rootkit" never helps (I blame wiki for the misleading description)

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578
    Originally posted by kairi_sweet

They say it's a program that prevents hackers from hacking a game but I'm not buying it.. All the MMOs that I have played had game guard on it but bots still lurks on each servers that's making the economy of the game imbalance.

Gameguard was not suppose to prevent industrial bots, they are used to prevent program driven bots that are operated from cybercafe.  Usually what goldseller does is hack gameguard, so they can bot by getting around it.  You can't do that in cybercafe unless you are the admin, but you can if you own your little goldfarming sweatshop.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Aganazer

There is nothing wrong with it, but like any PC app, there are isolated cases of people having problems with it. MS Office is much more likely to cause you trouble than GameGuard and I mean that seriously.

Technical issues with GameGuard are not isolated.  There have been numerous reports of problems over the years. My issue didn't just affect me.  If affected anybody using the same security software and that played a wide variety of games. GameGuard is notorious for not playing well with security software, and not just mine.

~Ripper

• ShijeerShijeer Member Posts: 131

Quite bluntly and over a span of numerous games GameGuard causes more problems then it solves and of the most nasty of natures, the one that doesn't let you play at all. On top of that, It doesn't seem to prevent hacking even remotely to an extent that would counterbalance its issues.

Or let me put it this way, more then one game decided to stop using it because of the overwhelming number of complaints from their gamers, this simple fact speaks for itself.

Thats how it is with 3rd party software integrated into games, often they don't play nice together, problems are bound to arise and the solutions have to be slowly and painstakingly collaborated between 2 or more companies.

- Shijeer

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

The most heavily bot infested P2P mmorpg I've played to date, Lineage 2, uses GameGuard.  Anyone have an example where GameGuard actually does it's job?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville