Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion Magazine, now with more item add-ons

KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

http://www.massively.com/2010/02/26/ncsoft-announces-aion-magazine/

Who at NCsoft said "hey you know what people really want? A digital magazine containing nothing but good press about our game! Wait nobody wants that. Oh I know, we'll just throw in a bunch if item bundles with each issue!"

Seriously guys?

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Ncsoft has been making a good effort to keep the community informed about the state of the game, this magazine is just going to be their official way of keeping the community together, they are trying here.

Most of you guys need to stfu, and give ncsoft time to work, they said they are listening to the community and plan a whole host of changes in the coming 2 months, how abut we shut the fuck up and wait and see what happens.

Aion was barely given half a chance from the gate, it was bashed as a WoW cloned and doomed to failed from the first week, and now that they are trying their best to listen to their community and keep the fans they have content and happy, you guys are still flocking around in your holding pattern spitting hate and contempt.

I dont understand why the people who hate this game so much dont just walk the other way.

I personally will give aion a decent period of review, 6 months to a year to see what happens, even if i dont play it, simply  reading their updates and watching what they do before i cast judgement. But from what i see, AIon is stable right now, ncsoft isnt failing and there isa  good chance the game will pick up with time.

If you believe that or not it doesnt matter, nobody is forcing you to troll the forums, or subscribe to the magazine.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Ncsoft has been making a good effort to keep the community informed about the state of the game, this magazine is just going to be their official way of keeping the community together, they are trying here.

Most of you guys need to stfu, and give ncsoft time to work, they said they are listening to the community and plan a whole host of changes in the coming 2 months, how abut we shut the fuck up and wait and see what happens.

Aion was barely given half a chance from the gate, it was bashed as a WoW cloned and doomed to failed from the first week, and now that they are trying their best to listen to their community and keep the fans they have content and happy, you guys are still flocking around in your holding pattern spitting hate and contempt.

I dont understand why the people who hate this game so much dont just walk the other way.

I personally will give aion a decent period of review, 6 months to a year to see what happens, even if i dont play it, simply  reading their updates and watching what they do before i cast judgement. But from what i see, AIon is stable right now, ncsoft isnt failing and there isa  good chance the game will pick up with time.

If you believe that or not it doesnt matter, nobody is forcing you to troll the forums, or subscribe to the magazine.

Well, with the retention numbers they have, that something had better be pretty drastic.  I've seen the Aion Vision trailer, and it looks great. The only problem is in the delivery. NCsoft has demonstrated time, after time that they have little real grasp of the difference between the Asian and Western markets. Until they gain that understanding(and act upon it), they are going to have the same limited success in the west.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Well, with the retention numbers they have, that something had better be pretty drastic.  I've seen the Aion Vision trailer, and it looks great. The only problem is in the delivery. NCsoft has demonstrated time, after time that they have little real grasp of the difference between the Asian and Western markets. Until they gain that understanding(and act upon it), they are going to have the same limited success in the west.

Ncsoft said they will be adding more quests and content or something like that in their recent announcement and there was no talks from other people saying something like this happened in korea too maybe this new content will come just for westerns?

I mean we complain more then the eastern countries but ncsoft even tough they don't talk much they tried sometimes to do something.

BTW I'm not playing aion for those that think I'm a fanboy but I agree with him people were keeping on bashing it because it's a korean mmo.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Ncsoft said they will be adding more quests and content or something like that in their recent announcement and there was no talks from other people saying something like this happened in korea too maybe this new content will come just for westerns?

I mean we complain more then the eastern countries but ncsoft even tough they don't talk much they tried sometimes to do something.

BTW I'm not playing aion for those that think I'm a fanboy but I agree with him people were keeping on bashing it because it's a korean mmo.

It's not getting bashed because its a korean MMO, its getting bashed because it's a shallow game, and NCsoft keeps making poor decisions like trying to rope in last minute subscribers at the end of Q4 with that stupid visions trailer and throwing more and more cash shop content at the game. The game could be sponsored by jesus freaking christ and it wouldn't matter if the game was still bad.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Originally posted by Kordesh

It's not getting bashed because its a korean MMO, its getting bashed because it's a shallow game, and NCsoft keeps making poor decisions like trying to rope in last minute subscribers at the end of Q4 with that stupid visions trailer and throwing more and more cash shop content at the game. The game could be sponsored by jesus freaking christ and it wouldn't matter if the game was still bad.

What cash shop?

Oh you mean all the things other games have too apart of the guild name change and the valentine pack that had fluff and nothing that made players more stronger then others yeah yeah..

Yes it was and it is still bashed because it is a korean game you barley see any comment on other games even if they take more to get to cap that they are grinders but you see this frequently and many times even from people THAT DIDN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME!!

I don't see people keeping on bashing AoC, War and some other games that were not succesfull and some of they are getting some subs now because yeah they are from the west.

Again the vision trailer is a vision on were ncsoft want to try to get aion if you didn't read anything apart of the clip's title and just watched it it's not their fault sorry.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

What cash shop?
    Oh you mean all the things other games have too apart of the guild name change and the valentine pack that had fluff and nothing that made players more stronger then others yeah yeah..

Some other games have it too. There are many subscription MMORPGs without cash shop.
    Yes it was and it is still bashed because it is a korean game you barley see any comment on other games even if they take more to get to cap that they are grinders but you see this frequently and many times even from people THAT DIDN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME!!

I don't think people bash it because it's korean. Well, some of course do, but if the game would be incredible, people wouldn't bash it that much, even if it's korean. I personally don't care where  a game comes from, as long as I enjoy playing it, and I think most people feel the same.
    I don't see people keeping on bashing AoC, War and some other games that were not succesfull and some of they are getting some subs now because yeah they are from the west.

People constantly bash WAR. In about each and every thread about war, someone states that it's supposed to be one of the worst games available. Also, AoC and WAR are out for quite a while, so people get bored of bashing them after a while.
    Again the vision trailer is a vision on were ncsoft want to try to get aion if you didn't read anything apart of the clip's title and just watched it it's not their fault sorry.

Sorry, but if NCSoft is putting a video online, then they should make sure people understand the video without having to do some indepth background research about it's meaning.
    I personally never played Aion, I don't plan to. I personally don't think it's a horrible game, since obviously quite some people are having a good time playing Aion. The amount of stuff NCSoft wants people to pay money for though, in addition to a subscription, is baffling me.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

ive played alot of ncsoft games, and they are a bit money hungry. but maybe the eastern portion of ncsoft dosnt allow the western for market for our market.

idk it seems like ncsoft is trying to play to the Blizzard Standard, yet just not getting the , players come first Concept.

ehh , who cares really lol. well back to Guildwars for me.

Originally posted by maji

What cash shop?

Some other games have it too. There are many subscription MMORPGs without cash shop.
    95% of the P2P games eventually get race change, recustomization, server change and name change still I don't get how these services are called cash shop when almost all excluding newer ones that will eventually add them have them also?

I don't think people bash it because it's korean. Well, some of course do, but if the game would be incredible, people wouldn't bash it that much, even if it's korean. I personally don't care where  a game comes from, as long as I enjoy playing it, and I think most people feel the same.
    Dunno if you remember a thread from a guy that probably is banned now but was something about people posting their fav upcoming mmos and he also said that they could post updates on them which they clearly never did but he loved korean mmos and posted many games and making updates with pictures and some information and some of them.

Now that thread got locked and deleted why? because people kept on flaming him for giving updates only to HIS favourite games that are going to come out and not THEIR favourite ones plus bunch of flamings because korean mmos are always cheap and grindfests when they aren't even out!

What I want to say? I want to say is yes if a p2p game comes from eastern countries it gets some special treatment if it's not how they thought it would be unlike western mmos.

People constantly bash WAR. In about each and every thread about war, someone states that it's supposed to be one of the worst games available. Also, AoC and WAR are out for quite a while, so people get bored of bashing them after a while.
    Well then I don't see these many threads and 1 posters trying to down the games but yes they are a bit old now since they been released for a year or so but still doesn't change the fact that barely any mmo was kept on getting bashed for this long.

Sorry, but if NCSoft is putting a video online, then they should make sure people understand the video without having to do some indepth background research about it's meaning.
    I personally never played Aion, I don't plan to. I personally don't think it's a horrible game, since obviously quite some people are having a good time playing Aion. The amount of stuff NCSoft wants people to pay money for though, in addition to a subscription, is baffling me.
    I'm pretty sure many people watched the clip from youtube so uhm it's not ncsoft property there.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

What cash shop?

A cash shop isnt defined by it having stated items in it.

Any, what would normally be, in game rewards sold for real life money = cash shop.

So, yes, the valentine packs constitute a cash shop.

Who at NCsoft said "hey you know what people really want? A digital magazine containing nothing but good press about our game! Wait nobody wants that. Oh I know, we'll just throw in a bunch if item bundles with each issue!"
    Seriously guys?

LOL @ this.

So, not only are NCS stripping content (and value from the sub) from the game with the introduction of cash shop events as an 'optional extra', they now want to strip down the officialweb site and sell it's content  to you as *another* 'optional extra'?

"exclusive interviews, news on upcoming content, extensive player guides, and community news and tips."

and you true believers are still ok with this? Really??

What does this make the official website now? Just a store front? because I do not see them putting any real info there now they have a means to sell it to you... Do you?

The initial cash shop event was the first warning shot, this is a clear second... If you are still aboard the ship by the third you deserve to go down imo. You have ignored the clear indicators as to what NCS is about and you all deserve what you get, and you deserve to be fleeced.

I am so glad I cancelled. My distaste for this company grows with everything they do.

btw, offering items with in game effects (pots) as purchase incentives blows all your guys 'it's only fluff' arguments, such as they are, away when you all say 'they will never offer items that effect gameplay' lol. I suppose you will all find a way to rationalise or justify this though.

"Wing Feather of Birth - an exclusive set of +60 flight time wings for your level 40+ character. These wings are only available as part of this amazing offer!"

And people scoffed at me when i said you would see wings for sale soon for real money...

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

What cash shop?

I doubt the fact that NCsoft is Korean has much to do with it.  Its their past history that damns them. That would be equally true no matter what their nationality. NCsoft has also repeatedly demonstrated that they do not understand the demographic differences between the two cultures. That is one of the major reasons for their low retention rates. It also doesn't help that they can't seem to grasp the fact that westerners aren't nearly as tolerant of bots and gold spammers as Asians appear to be.  Linage2 to this day is still over run.

Couple that with some of the worst CS in the gaming industry(making even SOE's look "professional" takes quite a bit...), and you have just one of the many reasons they tend to get "bashed". 

Aion on its own wouldn't be that bad of a game(I love the graphics), and look forward to see what Aion 2.0 looks like.  But until NCsoft gets a clue about the differences between Asian and Western markets, they are doomed to repeat the same mistakes they have always made.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

NCsoft is the reverse blizzard, while blizzard is an american company that is expanding into th easian markets, NCsoft is primarly korean, it is true they initially have issues tending to the american player base but you have to remember, they have to create the game to fit the koreans, the japanese and the chinese and taiwan playerbase.

They are doing well, the only thing aion lacks right now is a proper endgame and htey are working on it.

People getting upset about cash shop need to get real, we all knew from day one that it was coming for the features that got it, we knew plastic surgery, namechange and gender change would cost a fee, it costs a fee in WoW, why wouldnt it cost a fee on aion.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

They are doing well, the only thing aion lacks right now is a proper endgame and htey are working on it.
     Rubbish. Just look at the Vision trailer and tell me thats all that Aion is missing.
    And 'working on it' isnt good enough in a game thats been live and taking subs for well over a year.
    This company needs to start delivering soemthing more then promises and stripped down/ resold content.
    People getting upset about cash shop need to get real, we all knew from day one that it was coming for the features that got it, we knew plastic surgery, namechange and gender change would cost a fee, it costs a fee in WoW, why wouldnt it cost a fee on aion.
    NOONE has attacked *paid services* (what you describe here) have they? and yet thats what you choose to use to defend them with... Not actually the very real sub+MT issues that are raised again and again.
    If you can't see whats happening you deserve to be stripped of every nickel and dime they can take you for tbh.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

This is sad and simply not ok in my book.

I am (was) on a 3 month recurring subscription. I bought the collectors edition and I have actually enjoyed Aion so far.

Raving blind fans may find this ok, and basically I have no problem with supporting NCSoft directly by microtransaction. I do however, have issues with ingame items  handed out by 3.rd parties,  that results in actual gameplay benefits.

Yes I may be losing out on 'Aion enjoyment' but I am sure I will find the same in another game. On the other hand I am quite certain that NCSoft will have to hope for a lot of subs to their 3.rd party e-zine to counter the loss in direct subs.

Bad call NC-Soft... You stretched this one too far.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

The issue here is that in the west releasing this magazine will be seen as robbing their customers NOT providing them with a valauble addon to the gzame.  It will do NOTHING for the community as the first replier suggests and peoples reaction to it is not an indication of them not giving NCSoft and Aion a fair go.     Those that care to have a view are most likely Aion customers already so they did and are giving NCSoft a go.

Not a good idea to be seen as stealing sweets from dumb adults, teenagers and kids that dont have the experience to knpow they are being ripped off.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

I can't believe people actually read magazines anymore.. Aren't magazines those strange things that people read in Doctor's offices that are mostly advertisements for prescription drug medicine?

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by vesavius

Seriously guys?

LOL @ this.

So, not only are NCS stripping content (and value from the sub) from the game with the introduction of cash shop events as an 'optional extra', they now want to strip down the officialweb site and sell it's content  to you as *another* 'optional extra'?

"exclusive interviews, news on upcoming content, extensive player guides, and community news and tips."

and you true believers are still ok with this? Really??

What does this make the official website now? Just a store front? because I do not see them putting any real info there now they have a means to sell it to you... Do you?

The initial cash shop event was the first warning shot, this is a clear second... If you are still aboard the ship by the third you deserve to go down imo. You have ignored the clear indicators as to what NCS is about and you all deserve what you get, and you deserve to be fleeced.

I am so glad I cancelled. My distaste for this company grows with everything they do.

btw, offering items with in game effects (pots) as purchase incentives blows all your guys 'it's only fluff' arguments, such as they are, away when you all say 'they will never offer items that effect gameplay' lol. I suppose you will all find a way to rationalise or justify this though.

"Wing Feather of Birth - an exclusive set of +60 flight time wings for your level 40+ character. These wings are only available as part of this amazing offer!"

And people scoffed at me when i said you would see wings for sale soon for real money...

Money talks and bulls**t walks.

If you can afford it, like the game and want to buy it then you buy and play.

If you can't or don't, well, you end up whining to free forums. No offense, of course. But have no fear, you will find your preference f2p game.

P.S. Almost as good wings as those came with CE, yes it cost extra and yes I did buy CE because I could. And better ones are on their way once we hit 6Mo mark and get our VetReward wings.

EDIT: Edited some shizzle like typos and false information ;)

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

What cash shop?

I doubt the fact that NCsoft is Korean has much to do with it.  Its their past history that damns them. That would be equally true no matter what their nationality. NCsoft has also repeatedly demonstrated that they do not understand the demographic differences between the two cultures. That is one of the major reasons for their low retention rates. It also doesn't help that they can't seem to grasp the fact that westerners aren't nearly as tolerant of bots and gold spammers as Asians appear to be.  Linage2 to this day is still over run.

Couple that with some of the worst CS in the gaming industry(making even SOE's look "professional" takes quite a bit...), and you have just one of the many reasons they tend to get "bashed". 

Aion on its own wouldn't be that bad of a game(I love the graphics), and look forward to see what Aion 2.0 looks like.  But until NCsoft gets a clue about the differences between Asian and Western markets, they are doomed to repeat the same mistakes they have always made.

This. NCSoft treats the west as though we're no different to the east. They make promises to do things to localise the game in terms of culture as well as language but they never do. They've proven this with every game they've developed themselves; they milk us westerners as a cashcow on launch sales and don't actually care about player retention outside of the east. This magazine is just more milking, and I feel sorry for the players that get taken in by it.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Some people don't care how much money is sucked out of them.