Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall exploded my graphics card!

ElladrielElladriel Member Posts: 39

Yup. RIP Geforce 8600GT. I bought the one-week trial a few nights ago, and while I didn't LOVE the game, it was cool. And I understand why it is considered an amazing game by its community. I think given the opportunity for the game to grow on me, I might even be one of those people.

Needless to say...my Darkfall trial is over :P I don't (seriously) blame Darkfall itself for my mishap, it's just funny. In reality I need to be more aware of dust buildup and overheating my system in the future.

On a happier note, my GPU has a lifetime warranty. Still, funny story....

Anyways, farewell Darkfall community! And remember, keep your PC clean ;)

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

You made my day.

I burned my MotherBoard and my Processor melted last year. Can't exactly remember what I was playing but it was also caused by the massive amount of dust on my computer :þ

Lucky you had a warranty though, because I didn't. Haha

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Elladriel

I don't (seriously) blame Darkfall itself for my mishap, it's just funny. In reality I need to be more aware of dust buildup and overheating my system in the future.

I've heard that Starcraft 2 beta was blowing up graphics cards. Blizzard forgot to put FPS limit on main menu - so graphic card was rendering menu 300 times per second. I still wouldn't blame Blizzard - because graphic card should be able to work under 100% load - and it's driver / hardware responsibility to keep heat generation / GPU clock within safe range.

DF is rather CPU than GPU limited. FPS falls during sieges because CPU can't process information about hundreds of players in time, not because GPU can't display them :)

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Get an ATI 5000 series, trust me you won't regret it!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by Elladriel

Yup. RIP Geforce 8600GT. I bought the one-week trial a few nights ago, and while I didn't LOVE the game, it was cool. And I understand why it is considered an amazing game by its community. I think given the opportunity for the game to grow on me, I might even be one of those people.
    Needless to say...my Darkfall trial is over :P I don't (seriously) blame Darkfall itself for my mishap, it's just funny. In reality I need to be more aware of dust buildup and overheating my system in the future.
    On a happier note, my GPU has a lifetime warranty. Still, funny story....
    Anyways, farewell Darkfall community! And remember, keep your PC clean ;)

Your computer got pwned by Darkfall.

Don't overclock and you will be fine.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.