Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Short Review

jeepndesertjeepndesert Member Posts: 33
Whole game design sucks with the exception of the class system, raid groups, and locked combat. Lag is caused by poor game design. Needed to be less dense and bigger with background loading of matrix zones rather than the "cave" approach to zoning. This would have removed all elements of lag. Needs RvR badly for fun. Needs to be more rewarding on the level grind.

Comments

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

a few points I can agree with, I don't like the level grind much..although I think the combat is more interesting than WoW. 

The graphics and lag part can easily be fixed with a decent computer and turning your graphics options to "Extreme Performance"  Of course the NPCs will all be faceless lol...but it makes for no lag.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    Yup that was a short review all right image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• ShrubberShrubber Member Posts: 219

Originally posted by zethcarn
    a few points I can agree with, I don't like the level grind much..although I think the combat is more interesting than WoW.
    The graphics and lag part can easily be fixed with a decent computer and turning your graphics options to "Extreme Performance" Of course the NPCs will all be faceless lol...but it makes for no lag.

No, the game suffers from poor programing. I have a 3400+, 1gb ram, 6800 ultra, and the game still likes to act funny.

• RadmuzRadmuz Member Posts: 85

So far I have only played the trail and not the full version. So I know that I have only had a very small taste. Based on that here is my experience:

Lag is nothing like people have said. I know I have not been in a densily populated area yet, but I have not had a problem yet and I am only running a middle of the road computer.

Combat is at least as fun as WOW, maybe a bit better.

It appears that the game has the same love for time sinks as EQ did though. If anything would scare me off from playing this long term it would be spending tons of time just sitting around regening either health or mana. WOW destroys EQ on this issue.

Graphics are blah by todays standards. I am not saying they are bad. But they are not the rave that people claim. There are some cool things with the graphics. The gnomes for example are hilarious to look at.

I know to be fair I need to play the full version, and probably will do so in spite of my displeasure with SOE. But until I actually play the full version I know there is no way to be fair in judging the game. I have friends who did not even finish the boat ride in the tutorial and thought the whole game sucked. Now that is not being fair or objective. A game with the depth of EQ2 or WOW has to be played, IMOP, 100 hours before you know enough about the game to give an informed review.

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

I do think EQ2 needs some PvP very badly, im getting sick of leveling for no point. It seems like they are leading up to it though.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

im pretty sure they are going to add PvP, most likely an RvR type. they have hinted at it in some Q&A's and John Smedley hinted at it in one of his letters. it would be nice if they just told us outright, but there would be a lot of controversy over it.

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

It would be really strange and almost unthinkable for a setup like Good Vs Evil, Qeynos Vs Freeport not to be used in some way in the future. I agree 100% that the logical solution is zone based RvR ala DAoC. This caters for everyone so easily its a complete no brainer...

All the peices are in place.... its a matter of time... (broken record)

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• SaigonshakesSaigonshakes Member Posts: 937

As far as performance, if you have a decent computer, it runs great. Whoever said they had a 6800 and they were having problems, thats because their was an issue with the 6800 series of cards. Just because you had problems doesnt mean the game is flawed.

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649

Thanks for your in depth analysis of EQ2 you've made me stop playing EQ2. Maybe you can review some other games for us your powers of observation are spectacular.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

one of the biggest things that bother me is no more fluid movement.

If you played EQ1 you might know what I'm talking about..your character movement was much faster..it is also much faster in World of Warcraft.   If they ever implement PvP your character will need to move fast as possible.  The high end graphics don't allow for fast movement it seems.  Anyone else agree on this?

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Originally posted by Hashman

Thanks for your in depth analysis of EQ2 you've made me stop playing EQ2. Maybe you can review some other games for us your powers of observation are spectacular.

If I insisted to play EQ2 and ignoring the other games on the market, I would have same situation like yours.

I play Human race with starting point at Stormwind which is one major map. Another map is cross sea with different races. Each map is extremely huge and you can run from the south to the north for hours. In Antonica, you loggin number 2 or 3 or 4 but there is no partition in WOW. You see everyone there and no lag at all. I don't feel even slightly lag on European server. The game is 6 times more contenets and size than EQ2.  

On normal server, there is no PVP so you dont need to be afraid of to get killed. Only PVP server you need to worry about that.

I have very good time playing WOW.

The only thing I hate is the 3D camera which is similar like EQ2 but much much better, however, I like the 3D camera from Acheron's Call 2. AC2 has very smart 3D engine.

• HashmanHashman Member Posts: 649
    Are you STILL here Larry? image
  • AtomicusAtomicus Member Posts: 202

i dont think it would be a good idea to add PvP to EQ2 when it was built to play without it. I remeber what happened to EQ1 and the PvP servers. Lots of nerfs came to the PvP servers and some later showed up on the non-PvP servers. After EQ1 became a huge balancing act since Sony took over the game it stopped be fun and exciting for me.

----------------------------------------------+
    | Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64
    | ABIT AN8 x32 Nforce4 SLI x16
    | AMD Athlon FX-60 Dual-Core 2.6GHz
    | Corsair 3.1 GB DDR 400 Dual-Channel
    | (2x) BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
    | Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    | Western Digital 250Gb SATA

• r1tualr1tual Member Posts: 559

EQ2 is going to have PvP.

It needs PvP.  Else it fails the ideal of a massively multiplayer online roleplaying game.  At least the best MMO world.

I like PvP 100X more then I like PvE.  And if I feel that way im sure alot of other people feel that way.  First Person Shooter games have a bigger playerbase then online RPG's.  Must be for a reason right?

And get with the program people,  PvE and PvP can be balanced totally independant from each toehr.  A class or spell can behave different in PvP then it does in PvE.  There will not be a need for a redesign of PvE,  not unless SOE cant think logically.

But whatever,  im looking forward to seeing what EQ2 comes out with soon.

• jeepndesertjeepndesert Member Posts: 33

The graphics and lag part can easily be fixed with a decent computer and turning your graphics options to "Extreme Performance"  Of course the NPCs will all be faceless lol...but it makes for no lag.

And in some cases invisible. Sure, a better computer, another 128MB on the graphics card, and another GB of RAM could always help. However, the point is that the slide-show graphics are primarily caused by game design---small zones with a large number of gnolls that need to be rendered. The larger zones, such as Antonica, has virtually no slide-show graphics because the mobs are spread out over a larger area in the zone.
  • jeepndesertjeepndesert Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Atomicus

i dont think it would be a good idea to add PvP to EQ2 when it was built to play without it. I remeber what happened to EQ1 and the PvP servers. Lots of nerfs came to the PvP servers and some later showed up on the non-PvP servers. After EQ1 became a huge balancing act since Sony took over the game it stopped be fun and exciting for me.

Yep, the thing that caused me to quit was when I realized how much the SOE team were carrot Nazis. The original EQ team is working on Vanguard, and that guy stated the importance of carrots. I like what they are doing with Guild Wars. WoW and Lineage 2 seem attractive because of what seems to be siege-oriented, but not sure how that works when it is PvP instead of RvR or GvG (I'm guessing GvG simulates an RvR). The siege screenshots on the Lineage 2 Web site seem epic in scale.
  • NoubourneNoubourne Member Posts: 349

My computer cost $600 12 months ago and it runs EQ2 on high settings and smooth and looks great. If you have a nice system and it doesn't work well with EQ2 then you're probably doing somethign wrong or using old junky drivers.

As far as downtime, you have to eat and drink to regen faster. Player made food works best.

Locked combat is one of the few things I really DON'T like about the game.

And if you like PvP you should check out Guild Wars. I wouldn't mind seeing it in EQ2, but I'd rather they concentrate on other stuff instead.

Habit is not to be flung out the window by any man, but coaxed down the stairs one step at a time. - Mark Twain

• SaragothSaragoth Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by jeepndesert
    Whole game design sucks with the exception of the class system, raid groups, and locked combat. Lag is caused by poor game design. Needed to be less dense and bigger with background loading of matrix zones rather than the "cave" approach to zoning. This would have removed all elements of lag. Needs RvR badly for fun. Needs to be more rewarding on the level grind.

Oh so poor game design causes you to lag, but not me??..

Lag is call by poor system specs.. Your system couldn't cut it.. sorry.. Sucks but well not everyone can play EQ at this highest graphic settings, but no way in hell is it poor game design.. If that was the case, everyone would lag..

I'm so sick of hearing you people iwth half backed opinions on shit. Especially when you clearly have no clue what your talking about. If I see one more "Well it can't be my computer so it has to be SoE" quote I'm going to friggen kill someone.. OF COURSE! it's your computer.. I don't care what kind or how good, if your experiencing lag, then there is something wrong on YOUR END. You think your the only person who plays? Or do you think everyone gets lag. I assure you I bet most people enjoy the game fine without lag.

Originally posted by Wickes
    BTW, Saragoth, it's just a guess ... but I'd bet you were banned for bad language.

• SaragothSaragoth Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Shrubber
    The graphics and lag part can easily be fixed with a decent computer and turning your graphics options to "Extreme Performance" Of course the NPCs will all be faceless lol...but it makes for no lag.

No, the game suffers from poor programing. I have a 3400+, 1gb ram, 6800 ultra, and the game still likes to act funny.

You fucking dumb asses.. If it was poor programming then EVERYONE would have the exact same problem... It's your computer.. Find the solution and fix it.. Doesn't matter how good you think your shit is.. There could be underlying problems that either 1. You don't know how to fix or 2. Your too fucking lazy to fix.

It's prolly the Ultra card your using.. a lot of people have had problems with THAT card..

Oh so it must be SoE right??

moron

Originally posted by Wickes
    BTW, Saragoth, it's just a guess ... but I'd bet you were banned for bad language.

• DraconisczDraconiscz Member Posts: 6

Saragoth, thank u for your vivid replys to this post.  I see that u have a VERRY strong opnion, backed up by verry... interesting... language.  Needless to say, I don't think those kind of statements are going to persuade anybody.  Have u ever headr the word "diplomatic"?

But, I have to agree with u.  I don't think it's a matter of poor game programing.  If anything can be said about the game, it's that it's done VERRY well.

Drac