Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lfg - a PvE carebear game

elseerelseer Member Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm looking for a radically different game then most. I'm looking for a for pay or a item shop type mmorg that has the following features

1) Quests

2) Crafting

3) No chance of non consensual PvP - if I don't want to fight anyone there is no way to make me

4) Solo friendly even at high levels

5) Fresh content once or twice yearly. Minor Quarterly content (like wow) is nice but not really needed.

6) Easy grouping for when I want to group with others -- wow's biggest failure as a game was setting the barrier to entry for raids and end game heroics so darned high

7) Realistic Cost to play no more then US$20 per month (be it a subscription or what I need to buy from an item shop)

(edit) 8) The Game can be fantasy ala WoW/Istaria/RoM, Space (like Eve Online), or something new. The key is must be cohesive and be telling some type of story

Bonus features that would really make a game shine for me:

1) Slower play style -- wow's fast paced dungeons have been a total drag -- why bother if you hate it so much it must be over in 10 minutes?

2) Solid market driven economy

3) Long running epic quests worth reading

4) Solid in game communications with others

5) Pvp implemented so you can pvp if you want to (Like wow Battlegrounds, or Eve's factional warfare/Null sec areas)

6) Encourage and facilitate casual play. I often play for  a few days or a few weeks then stop playing and do something else. So I don't want something that will "decay" if I don't log in for a few days.

7) A good amount of exploration -- wow and eve were both great for this.

So Far I found wow was just the thing but after 2 1/2 years I've grown board with the game. Once Cataclysm arrives I might rejoin if I cant find something to replace it.

Quick run down of what I've tried so far:

Plane scape looks quite cool but graphics and movement really don't  thrill me - the graphics seem too muddy and block like in way that totally trashes immersion

Istaria is looking quite promising but feels somehow unfinished but otherwise a prime contender

Runes of Magic is another prime contender but I've not yet gone too far in the game as it feels so .. world of warcraft . Also I did not like that your mounts only last a day or so. I often play for a few days at most then do something else.

Allods has committed seppaku. I don't know what they are thinking but clearly they are mad as  hatters. It's sad as the game had so much promise. Also, I learned about the "flag" mechanic  which means PvP is not consensual and thus instant fail, sorry.

Eve Online is the total antithesis of what I currently want, but it was wicked fun for about 2 years. Then real life spying made me rethink my position.

Second life is not quite what I had in mind. Too commercial and oddly no real gaming to be had.

Europa Online is just WAY too second life for my taste

Looking forward to useful suggestions

Elseer Radak

A Limited Reality Construct

I can haz meds plz?

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by elseer

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a radically different game then most. I'm looking for a for pay or a item shop type mmorg that has the following features

Tried Fallen Earth? Got a free trial.
    1) Quests

Got more quests than anyone can handle.
    2) Crafting

Crafting is a large part of FE. Most of the items in the game are crafted, and it got the best crafting system in an MMORPG I know. You can even continue crafting while offline, so when you log back on you have a bunch of new items waiting for you, including the experience and skillups you get for creating them.
    3) No chance of non consensual PvP - if I don't want to fight anyone there is no way to make me

There are resource-rich PvP areas in the game. They are marked on the map. You can enter them if you want, or avoid them.
    4) Solo friendly even at high levels

I'm pretty slow in that game so I have no high level char yet.
    5) Fresh content once or twice yearly. Minor Quarterly content (like wow) is nice but not really needed.

The game is less than half a year old, got already graphics updates, a new zone added, a new crafting profession as well as new weapons and existing areas reworked.
    6) Easy grouping for when I want to group with others -- wow's biggest failure as a game was setting the barrier to entry for raids and end game heroics so darned high

Early on there ain't much of a need to group, except for (obviously) group quests, or after a while some dungeons. I had no problem finding groups for those.
    6) Realistic Cost to play no more then US$20 per month (be it a subscription or what I need to buy from an item shop)

Doesn't cost more or less than the average MMORPGs subscription fee.
    Bonus features that would really make a game shine for me:
    1) Slower play style -- wow's fast paced dungeons have been a total drag -- why bother if you hate it so much it must be over in 10 minutes?

FE invites you to play slowly, since the open world invites you to explore it more than just the quests want you to. You can play quickly obviously, but you will miss a lot.
    2) Solid market driven economy

Can't talk about that. The auction house is busy, and I sometimes sell or buy stuff there. Though I create most items myself, and take them apart again if not needed anymore.
    3) Long running epic quests worth reading

It got the most diverse quests of any MMORPG I know. Especially long questlines award you with advancement points you can spend to improve your character, and there is of course the main quest line that goes through the entire game (as far as I got). The quests are also very well written and tell you about the background of the area you are in, about the quarrels between the different factions and so on.
    4) Solid in game communications with others

The chat works.
    5) Pvp implemented so you can pvp if you want to (Like wow Battlegrounds, or Eve's factional warfare/Null sec areas)

There are PvP zones you can enter if you want to.
    As said, it got a free trial, so giving it a try can't hurt. Be warned though, that the game is rather demanding in matters of your machine. There is on the website of FE a tool that tells you if your computer can handle it.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• elseerelseer Member Posts: 5

holey pud kruppies!! That looks wicked cool thanks for the hint!

Elseer R or whatever my name is today

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Guild Wars Platinum

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by UnsungToo

Guild Wars Platinum

I couldn't believe ,i just played SUN and it reminded me totally of GW's,linear game play ,lots of instances,same type of graphics.Difference is you can play SUN totally for free,never tried Huxley,i actually thought SUN would have better graphics,but it doesn't they mimmickWarhammer's graphics and GW's graphics to a tee.

IMO it sounds like the OP should still be playing WOW,difference being that WOW may be big,but ugly graphics does not make for much excitement in exploration.Eve is NOT exploration,unless you think exploring FAKE planet meshes and tons of empty space is exciting,i doubt many do.

IMO if the OP is tired of WOW,but still wants WOW lol,then just go play F2P games,play each for a month or two then try another,90% of the games out there play 100% identical to WOW.That is NPC quest>NPC quest,boring to me but whatever,if that is your cup of tea,i'm not going to stop you,instead save your money,don't spend anything on this most over used game design,just play F2P.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

hmmmm EQ2 has a lot of what you are describing and looking for in a game atm,

free trial as well give it a shot and see =)

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

It doesn't fit exactly and I don't know how you feel about the IP but check out LoTRO.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I agree with LOTRO.  When it comes to PVE and a wonderful world, it rules.  Fallen Earth is decent as well although there are more pvp areas in it, but nothing you can't stay away from.

Hiya,

you have a valid point -- my original list should have included the following statemnet

big bonus for not being a WoW clone

Since I've only ever played two mmorgs for more than a few days and those are WoW and EVE I tend to state things in relation to those two games. I'm Really interesting in something far more original then a wow clone like RoM or Allods can offer.

Thanks for the current suggestions, it looks like I'm going to have sorting thought them - Fallen Earth, Guild Wars, Lord of The Rings and Ever Crack (I did not know they were even still in business). Please do keep the suggestions cumming for something care-bear and original :>

fwiw a small list of Favorite games

Plane scape : Torment

Final Fantasy 5-7

Civilization / Alpha Centari

Might and Magic 5-7

Elder Scrolls saga

King Quest

Sacred (oddly I loved this more then Diablo)

Circle of Blood

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Maybe SpellForce

Godspeed my fellow gamer

Cool beans thanks for allt he suggestion im now full up; I suspect it will take at least a month to go thoguh all thease nifty new (And old) games!!

TIA

Elseer R

A figment of my own imagination

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I'd have to agree with LotRO, it most fits your criteria. Some others mentioned Guild Wars, I love Guild Wars but I wouldn't say it's the best fit according to what the OP is looking for.