Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More like CORPG...

PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

STO is more like a CORPG game and less like MMORPG, ok, this have a lot the guild wars style in their functionality, something that made GW a corpg, and if u ask me i think GW is the pioneer of the new offspring (better quality one if u ask me...) of the mmorpg genre....

I know the subscription doesn't ring any good bells in some peoples heads, but in general is up to every publisher to construct their own business, if we buy or not, that is other story... But part of the CORPG is no fees, only box, then boxes every few months, with special events from now and then...

Comments

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Im not getting into the classification debate anymore, cause to me its pointless. Just wanted to point out that i see a direct corrolation between monthly subscription cost and game updates. If you compare the kind of content updates that games with a model like wow or eve offer, with that of guildwars, i simply have to say guildwars cant compete imho.

Without a monthly subscription fee you simply cannot pay as many developers to improve the game, i mean any company operating any mmo has to pay:

a) The employees, devs, forum guys, artists etc.

b) The physical hardware and stuff like bandwith for forums, patches etc.

c) The shareholders wanting a cut too.

d) Advertising to get new blood.

Now B) and C) are pretty much fixed costs, thus i see a) and d) suffering. Without the influx generated by d), longterm you will see further money leech out from a), till you get to a point where you cant draw enough money away from a), b), and d) to satisfy c) and the project closes down.

Or as happened with Guildwars, developement basicly completly stops cause the devs are working on the sequel. A model like GWs seems nice for the players, till you realise that no company is going to give you any service if they dont expect to make a profit from it. Its a circle of taking money from the players, so they can develope content, to keep being able to take money from players.

If you think about it, a new box with updates every year for 40 bucks or so is alot less than 15$ per month, and personally i think it shows.

Edit: Warhammer isa good example, the game failed, the developer staff got axed, now they lack the devs to make the core changes the game needs.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by Pelu

STO is more like a CORPG game and less like MMORPG, ok, this have a lot the guild wars style in their functionality, something that made GW a corpg, and if u ask me i think GW is the pioneer of the new offspring (better quality one if u ask me...) of the mmorpg genre....
    I know the subscription doesn't ring any good bells in some peoples heads, but in general is up to every publisher to construct their own business, if we buy or not, that is other story... But part of the CORPG is no fees, only box, then boxes every few months, with special events from now and then...

That is just plain false.

This subject has been discussed on this forum probably hundreds of times.  Yet, not one of the anti-STO crowd has ever proven, without question, that STO is "not an MMORPG".  Not one.  Yet, they keep on trying... and keep on NOT providing actual proof.  So sad really.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Vato26

This subject has been discussed on this forum probably hundreds of times.  Yet, not one of the anti-STO crowd has ever proven, without question, that STO is "not an MMORPG".  Not one.  Yet, they keep on trying... and keep on NOT providing actual proof.  So sad really.

FIRST.. proving a negative is almost impossible..  Currently there is not one singular official definition of what defines a MMO, other then what people conjecture and assume.. Such as the word Massive.. What one person defines as massive others might consider a drop in the bucket..

The definition of a MMORPG may never become concrete, so at this point it's all opinion, and IN MY OPINION, STO is no more a MMO then Madden Football....

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Originally posted by Vato26

FIRST.. proving a negative is almost impossible..  Currently there is not one singular official definition of what defines a MMO, other then what people conjecture and assume.. Such as the word Massive.. What one person defines as massive others might consider a drop in the bucket..

The definition of a MMORPG may never become concrete, so at this point it's all opinion, and IN MY OPINION, STO is no more a MMO then Madden Football....

Exactly!  Yet, the anti-STO crowd comes around here and tries to state their opinions as fact.  As you state, it is only their opinion that "STO is not an MMO" not a fact.  Yet, they try to pass it off as such.  That is the prime definition of a specious argument.  And, a specious argument is Trolling.

I am not saying that you are Trolling, because you are not.  You clearly state that it is your opinion.  However, for the multitude of others who try to pass off their opinions that "STO is not an MMO" as fact are Trolling.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Since starting a new thread every week on this subject is okay here and here only...

"Hey guys,

I'd like to provide a little clarification as to why we have locked a recent post (and will continue to lock posts along the same vein) as the thread asking if MMORPG.com should remove Star Wars: The Old Republic from its game list. The simple fact is, if it is on our game list, it has met our criteria for being an "MMOG" and that's that. So as far as MMORPG.com is concerned, Star Wars: The Old Republic is an MMOG.

Now, with that said, you are more than welcome to discuss and debate whether or not Star Wars: The Old Republic will resemble what is traditionally known as an MMORPG, but we are not going to entertain threads that posit this question simply to troll these forums and incite a reaction from users here looking forward to the game.

In fact, in the interest of avoiding clutter, all discussions pertaining to whether or not Star Wars: The Old Republic is a traditional MMOG or not should be directed to this thread and this thread alone going forward.

Thanks for your understanding!"

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

I dunno... I'm seeing a lot of the same pattern now for the term "MMORPG" that I've seen with other terms.

Generally speaking, it seems people will simply change the definition of a term to suit their own ends.

Hardcore, Carebear, Casual, Sandbox, Grind, PvP, PvE... and so on... all terms that have, seemingly, as many definitions as there are people using them.

Even long-defined terms like "Beta" and "Alpha", used constantly in software development - not only games - seem to have fallen victim to it. People seem to freely change the definition of Beta and Alpha to mean what ever they want/need it to at any given time.

Seems the acronym MMORPG now has joined the list.

The unfortunate part is, so long as no one wants to agree on an established definition for anything, it renders almost any conversation about it moot... because it invariably degrades into people arguing what the *right* definition is (which is, of course, always "theirs", who ever "they" happen to be).

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

FIRST.. proving a negative is almost impossible.. 

So you say that defender at the court has almost impossible chance to prove the innocence of his mandator?

I rather guess not...

• KyrozKyroz Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Gdemami

FIRST.. proving a negative is almost impossible.. 

So you say that defender at the court has almost impossible chance to prove the innocence of his mandator?

I rather guess not...

Considering they are innocent until PROVEN guilty......the onus is on the prosecutor, not the defender.

• KyrozKyroz Member Posts: 68

The problem is that STO does not present a persistent, contiguous world, which is one of the more common factors for a MMORPG.

There is no doubt that this "Lobby" style instancing game is a bit of a turnoff for many people who like the social aspects of MMOs.  For myself, I'm an avid soloer, but even I couldn't stand the isolation that the instancing provided.  I like a contiguous world with a living and breathing community where I can see and even participate with people doing their own thing while I did my own in return.  Soloing in STO meant having to always be alone without even a visible global chat channel to view in my instances.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Kyroz

Considering they are innocent until PROVEN guilty......the onus is on the prosecutor, not the defender.

How does that matters...?

In both cases you can prove false.