Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Life Span

Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

This is my favorite MMO hands down and i typical float from MMO to MMO but I want to call vanguard home oh so badly but I just can't because I think it will die in the next two years. Do you all agree or will it be around longer?

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I think it will close by the end of the year.  They just announced a month or two ago how they have shelved all their projects indefinitely that they were working on and are now just focusing on bug fixes.  The development team is also just a skeleton crew.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

It's on life-support

How long will it be kept alive by the machine is anyone's guess, but when it's time comes, tears will be shed, an obituary written & the lights turned out before softly closing the door for a final time as you leave.

Enjoy it while it's still around, but don't go expecting any kind of miracle cure, it wont happen.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

It could be around longer, if FF14 and GW2 dont pan out.  And Im really not implying one way or the other.  You never know when some new rpg that has what it takes will come along.  I had high hopes for lotro, but somehow it ended up not holding me.  I cant even say why.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

They will probably keep it on life support for a few years to make the station pass look more appealing.  I don't think they will actually add anymore to the game play, sadly.  I think the game is kinda finished.  It could have been something very nice, but when you have a crappy launch, its kinda hard to recover.

Originally posted by Margulis

They just announced a month or two ago how they have shelved all their projects indefinitely that they were working on and are now just focusing on bug fixes. 

Thats not really true and thats not what they said.  They said they would be doing group content this year.  So far they are right on track.  One month ago they released some new L50+ leveling content in magi hold, and in about 2 weeks they will release the 2nd part of magi hold.   Both those parts are for solo and small groups, part 2 will also have new diplo and crafting quests, and part 3 will  be for full groups.   After magi hold comes Shadow Hillsbury and Old Targonor revamps (which first we dont know).  Both will likely be for 53-55 groups.  Along with all that yea they will also be doing much bug fixing.

It is disappointing that raid content is shelved.  But it would be a lie to say they are only doing bug fixing.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by svann

They just announced a month or two ago how they have shelved all their projects indefinitely that they were working on and are now just focusing on bug fixes. 

Thats not really true and thats not what they said.  They said they would be doing group content this year.  So far they are right on track.  One month ago they released some new L50+ leveling content in magi hold, and in about 2 weeks they will release the 2nd part of magi hold.   Both those parts are for solo and small groups, part 2 will also have new diplo and crafting quests, and part 3 will  be for full groups.   After magi hold comes Shadow Hillsbury and Old Targonor revamps (which first we dont know).  Both will likely be for 53-55 groups.  Along with all that yea they will also be doing much bug fixing.

It is disappointing that raid content is shelved.  But it would be a lie to say they are only doing bug fixing.

Well maybe there was newer information or something, because I specifically remember the big news about shelving raid encounters, alternate advancement, and many other things that tons of members were looking forward to, then the fallout of that announcement.  Has there been more recent communication from the devs then to the contrary?

Well maybe there was newer information or something, because I specifically remember the big news about shelving raid encounters, alternate advancement, and many other things that tons of members were looking forward to, then the fallout of that announcement.  Has there been more recent communication from the devs then to the contrary?

Your memory fails you.  That part of the message that said they would work on bug fixes also included a lot of other stuff that they would be doing. 

Here is the original message:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=51939

Notice bug fixes is #7 of 8.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Your memory fails you.  That part of the message that said they would work on bug fixes also included a lot of other stuff that they would be doing. 

Bug fixes may be #7, but they shelved all this before they even got to the list:

• Alternate Advancement

• Halls of Shattered Souls

• Stiirhaad Mountains

• Pankor Zhi

• Nexus

VG has been on lifesupport for a long time.  It's a shame as I think VG is a good game that will never be allowed to be a great game.  And IMO, skeleton crew dev team + non-existant SOE support = dead game.

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

Bug fixes may be #7, but they shelved all this before they even got to the list:

• Alternate Advancement

• Halls of Shattered Souls

• Stiirhaad Mountains

• Pankor Zhi

• Nexus

VG has been on lifesupport for a long time.  It's a shame as I think VG is a good game that will never be allowed to be a great game.  And IMO, skeleton crew dev team + non-existant SOE support = dead game.

Yes as I said, they basically shelved raid content in favor of group content.  Mostly because of a lack of resources, but also because they knew they had been ignoring the casual gamer for too long.  Lets just review the new content in just the last year:

level raise to 55

new abilities

Isle of Garuzamet

Bridge of destiny

Shores of darkness (edit: oops this one is 1 year 4 months ago)

pantheon of the ancients (3 tiers of earned armor, much great dropped loot, epic weapons, new flying mount)

new overlands raid targets (karax fixed (?), sparkles, sunshine)

virak caves

augments

Doesnt exactly seem like life-support to me.  And upcoming content:

Magi hold chapters 2 and 3 (1 already released, 2 will be out in a couple weeks)

Old targanor chapters 1-5

Hillsbury manor revamp for high levels

New craft and diplo questline

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Considering what awful kind of content they added before that, I'm not too sad if they dont add more of that kind. I really dont like quests where I have just to kill thousands of mobs for hours and hours.

Stuff like APW or the Griffon Questline (though they could REALLY tone down Akande, that guy is no fun), thats real content.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The life of vanguard is really in the players hands now.  Soe already admitted they are thinking about merging servers, so populations have declined well below capacity and after that there is the bombshell which pretty much says long term growth of the game is over. 

It really depends now on how long people are willing to hold out with minimal content that will not cover much or really expand the game.  Personally I think the real damage is going to be watching the game slowly die from an inside perspective.   

However soe is more than willing to let a game run with little or no support at all.  I doubt they will shut the game down for money reasons unless they have something to replace it with on the station pass.  Vanguard isn't going anywhere for a while, both forward or away. 

If you like the game, enjoy it while you can.  As long as you don't go in with big expectations and accept that the game may go away, why not enjoy it?

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I have no doubt that Vanguard will be around for a long time.  But the question to be asked is it going to be the type of game that 'you' want to play.  When they delayed raid content in favor of group content that made me think, for the first time in three years, that I may move on to another game at some point in 2010.  Why?  Because I love raid content and I think NO MMO does it better than Vanguard.

The new group content they have been rolling out has be extremely popular, well done and well received.  The Magi Hold story is incredibly well done and they are cranking out the content relatively quickly.  But it is group content and many of the raiders are still waiting for them to return to HOSS and Stirhaad.

So, there is no question Vanguard will be around a long time, but it may turn into a more group-centric game. 

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

i would really like to see SOE do a weekend sale.  Something like key/30 days + 60 days, yes like STO did, for 25 bucks and pair it with an XP bonus week.  It might make the game appealing enough to new players and get some vets playing alts so that the low levels are not so barren. 

I tried the game a bit back and there was no one around in the low levels.  I know I would give it another try if there was an influx of players to level with.  As it is now it is just unbearable to be in a huge open world with no one around and no one to group explore with. 

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin