Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Star Trek Online Review

Comments

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Hey, you can buy STO right now for $10 cheaper and recieve 90 days free playtime! Check it out bro, leave your Beta testing/Pre-Order/Trusting crowd to the crows and go for the quick buck of gamebox sales!! Brilliant plan!!

Seriously, the amount of defenders is dropping by the minute now.

Old SOE is dead, Hail to the new SOE right here, too bad it's called Cryptic!

• mirkrimmirkrim Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Nesrie

A 6.4 implies that this game did more things right than poorly, but the problem is, the good things is just Champions with a Star Trek skin slapped on it. I am not willing to give them credit just for recycling their engine. This game clearly lacks depths of any kind, and while a good character creator (barely good since half of it is  a meh, that half being the part that isn't just visuals) and a ship combat that was entertaining but lacking in some basic controls hardly warrants the benefit of the doubt I think this review gave it. A 6.0 would have been generous.

My thoughts exactly.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Honest and in my mind very fair opinion Jon. Personally I took part in the beta and just was like? WTF this game is not a MMORPG its NOT release ready by any means. I'm german so I ran into a lot of mixed quests (english/german mixed). My first experience was just unimpressive, frankly I did more "instance beaming" than playing the game. After 2 hours I decided enough is enough, wrote a short review to the devs. I've been participating in a lot of betas but this one cleary wasn 't ready for release.

My personal rating was 4.5 based around the inhuman using of instancing, only 1 server  and the overall lack of depth.

Sorry to say it but this IP DOES deserve better. Another average (at best) MMOIPG (multi massive online instanced playing game) from Cryptic they'll never ever learn it.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Cryptic would be much better off creating their own intellectual property instead of taking on properties they can't handle.

• mulcebarmulcebar Member Posts: 24

Good review. I'd give the game more like a 5 out of 10, only because the ship combat is the best space ship mechanic I have played in a game otherwise maybe 3 or 4. its just a pity that the story mechanics and the "trekness" falls so horribly short of being fun. Its a total waste of time and I'd rather play one of the other incredible games that have hit this year. ie: mass effect 2 is more like startrek than this piece of crud. at least in that you have relationships with your crew, decisions and story. you truly are a captain of a space ship.I think that if you added STO's space combat mechanic into mass effect 2 you would have a home run space game. not that ME2 isnt a home run of course, as a scifi nut its the best game Ive played in years. lets see if Bioware and SW:TOR can create the mmo that finally bridges the gap between MMOs and story driven single player RPGs.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

maybe the $$$  givers can finally learn a lesson - STO, CO, AoC, Warhammer, just to name a few recent launches of rushed (MMO) games. It is they who set the deadline after all. And unfortunately the devs who say "oh sure,we can fix it". 2 years for an MMO? come on.....

And the score says nothing, look at AoC receiving a much higher score, and where is it now? How did people bash on it as launch? The only thing it does, is for people searching for a new MMO after a games launch, not knowing much, might filter in descending score order and rather choosing a higher score one to test.

imageimage

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Rawiz

Hey, you can buy STO right now for $10 cheaper and recieve 90 days free playtime! Check it out bro, leave your Beta testing/Pre-Order/Trusting crowd to the crows and go for the quick buck of gamebox sales!! Brilliant plan!!
    Seriously, the amount of defenders is dropping by the minute now.

Old SOE is dead, Hail to the new SOE right here, too bad it's called Cryptic!

Yes you can see that taking 10 buck off and giving what I read 45 free days to 90 days of free game time is nothing but an act of desperation, right at the start.

All I can say is folks came to play it for the IP, to bad they fracked it up.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by sitesucks

Anyways....a 6.4 is a bit high don't you think?

Considering user rating is a bit higher than that, no people seem do not think it is to high.

Basing on what was said above, it makes your generalized statements more of your own opinions only with little to no support in facts.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Pretty much agree with the review.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KyrozKyroz Member Posts: 68

I'm tired of Cryptic picking up nice IP's and porting them into their stupid engine with the same procedural crap and releasing them 2 years too early.  They make it look like casual games should suck when they could be just as good if not better than their hardcore counterparts.  What a lazy, money grubbing company.

• DugathDugath Member Posts: 93

Most of the review was ok.  Some of it I could not just see how he was able to put a positive spin on it.

For instance, Klingons are almost useless. PVP is broken, as in good luck in finding good matches.

This game is shallow, in no way feels like a MMO as it is too instanced, this feels like a single player game with multi player support. The fact that people were able to max out their level in the first 3 days says alot about this game.

Heck I only played 2-4 hours a day (only 3-5 days a week) and in 3 weeks I had 3 characters up to level 25.

Bottom line is this game worth 20$ a month (Canadian)? hell no. IMO only a fool.. or someone with money to burn would do that.

(if so please feel free to send my paypal 20$ a month please.. I need to fix my car ;) )

• SeanBladerSeanBlader Member Posts: 21

Excellent review, but the game itself is certainly not Star Trek. It looks like Star Trek and sounds like it too, but auditory and visual stimulus don't make for a Star Trek experience. Look at the movies 3 and 5 both had lots of sights and sounds, but both were universally panned. Then look at Star Trek 4, virtually NO Star Trek stimulus, but it was one of the better movies. It looks to me like the developers saw a bunch of pictures of Star Trek and tried to make a game out of them.

Eve Online makes for a better Star Trek game than Star Trek Online does.

• MMOWarriorMMOWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 33

I think this was a pretty fair and accurate review..

I do think my own score would be a little higher, more like a 7.5

Not mentioned to much however is the potential of STO. Give it a year to mature and I think STO will have a lot of what most of us would expect. Seems this is the sort of gamble most MMOs make these days.. Problem is they just don't see that the audience is changing. With so much competition, if you can't land the customer in the first 30 days you may never see them again.. Gone are the days with few choices and having to ride out a game..

Just a little warning to all those Executives that want to push out incomplete MMOs..

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Because they think that for $50 up front and then for a measley $15 a month they can have something that will keep them occupied for hours a day, every day for years.  

If a game can't keep someone entertained everyday for more than a handful of weeks, it shouldn't have been made into an MMO. It belongs in the box price only category with the rest of them. By the way, the earlier games were more than capable of keeping people occupied for a year or longer. You would think that newer games could offer some depth and longevity. Longevity being a key word for any MMO. MMOs shouldn't be made to make a quick box sale and shrug at the sub, it's the sub they are supposed to be after.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Good, well-researched review - which is more than I can say for some of the hatchet job reviews that came out within a week of game launch.

I also agree that the game is a lot more fun for casuals than hardcores. A bunch of my friends got me into it (we all grew up watching Star Trek Generation and TOS), and the hardcores hit admiral and called it a day. I've been having a lot more fun playing casually and just hit lower commander. The 5 score for hardcores and 7.5 score for casuals seems about right for me.

That being said, Cryptic is promising some important content like better multiplayer instances and death penalties in the near future. If I don't see those improvements by the end of my first subscription month, I'm going to leave and will probably never come back.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Overall a nice and fair review.

One comment about one passage:

"There’s a lot of repetitive space combat in this game and if it’s not exciting, you’re sunk."

I do understand that this was said in a specific way as part of making apoint about the flow of the game, however in a broader sense, Lets not forget that there is no game out there that has no repetition and if repetition was copnsidered a bad thing, then WoW would be the worse game on the planet, with its monster Ground Combat Repetition from 1-80 and then from Green gear to Epic Gear an, oops, we forgot that by that time a new expansion is out and you have to reset and begin all your progress again.

Repeating Instances in Normal Mode to access the same Instances for Heroic Mode and then Move on to Bigger instances "raids" while constantly doing the same Ground combat Repetition.

But you see we do not automatically think of Ground Combat as repetitious in fantasy games because we are beings that live on the ground so Space combat is special and different than what we are used to do every day, therefore, beware!

God forbid if its repetitious! We would rather kill 1 000 000 orcs, 1 000 000 of each of any other fantasy creatures someone can think of, but if Space combat is repetitious it is a big deal! Huh hah!

Just pointing out something that we maybe taking for granted under a different setting. ;)

I personally agree that STO has many areas that need Improvement, as the Review States and has really pin pointed the right areas, however Overall, it is a a really fun game for me, I am really enjoying it and It has been a while that I actually look forward to the time when I can get home and embark on another adventure amongst the Stars in a familiar setting which I have grown (literally), admiring and dreaming about. I was one of these kids that actually created a bridge of the enterprise out of Card Boards and went on to imaginary voyages together with childhood friends.

Yes I am a fan of Trek, and I am also a great Fan of MMORPG's, playing them now for the last 12 years since Ultima Online, and that maybe something else that was probably not trully expressed right in the Review in reference to the older MMORPG "hardcore" players, because I find myself part of the definition given in the article, yet, I really do enjoy Star Trek Online and in spite of the small lack of sophistication in the areas expressed in this Review. Unless of course you are referring to the Generation of EQ achievers which were taught to have fun through endless and painful repetition trying to consume content, in that case I would not fit in that category, I started MMORPGs before them, in a time when players were given a setting and were making their own content for years to come, which is really a hardcore MMORPGer it maybe a good topic for debate in another thread?

Live long, have fun, and Prosper!

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • KellsKells Member Posts: 65

I agree with the review. I think 100% of the players and ex-players agree that ground combat is a lot less fun than space combat. I have this to add:

1. As I was  looking for a nice online, single player experience, the instances did not bother me as I love to solo and online games feel a lot more "alive" to me than offline RPG games. That said, I still would like to see hubs where people can get together, do social things and that isn't likely in this game as even the spaceports are tiny with the same amount of instancing.

2. The game is, in a word, claustrophobic. Everything is small. Please don't remind me that space is, inherently, claustrophobic, that isn't the point. Having a fun, immersive game experience requires some expansiveness and exploration and this game doesn't have that.

3. While space combat is more fun that ground missions, the variety is limited. It took me back to PreCU Star Trek Galaxies mission terminals which were: "Kill an animal lair and all the critters in it", "Deliver a package", or "Kill a minibase and all the humanoids in it". In this era of heavily themeparked mmos with rich content and storylines, it was really hard to care about STO missions and quests, even those along the main story line.

4. No crafting, even though the mechanism of having engineering, command, and science specialties SCREAMS potential along these lines. In fact, these specialties only refer to ground combat, they have nothing to do with space skills.

5. I agree that outfitting and upgrading your ship is fun. The auctionhouse and NPCs are unless as you can loot anything you need easily, at least to the level that I played (Lt. Commander).

Standalone, I agree with 6.4. Way below what I would need to buy a sub. As the representative of a hallowed IP, I agree with other posters, criminally low. I have to disagree with Leonard Nimoy, this game does not immerse me into the Star Trek experience at all.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Nesrie

Because they think that for $50 up front and then for a measley $15 a month they can have something that will keep them occupied for hours a day, every day for years.  

If a game can't keep someone entertained everyday for more than a handful of weeks, it shouldn't have been made into an MMO. It belongs in the box price only category with the rest of them. By the way, the earlier games were more than capable of keeping people occupied for a year or longer. You would think that newer games could offer some depth and longevity. Longevity being a key word for any MMO. MMOs shouldn't be made to make a quick box sale and shrug at the sub, it's the sub they are supposed to be after.

Are you serious?    $50 for a week or two of fun is a good game.  $50 dollars for months or years of fun is a classic. 

Its fifty freakn dollars.  And 15 a month for extra content.   Games dont need to be made like EverCrack where you play so much you lose ur family, ability to get up and go to a toilet and your life. (yes thats right some people have died from mmo addiction, are species is that sad).

Mabye im not harsh on games cause im a gamer. As in I play games for fun. And not to escape reality.

Around 6 is a good number for STO. which means its a good game, youll get ur $50 out of it, which is what most people look to reviews for.   Actualy I remember seeing UO getting a 6 back in the day from a mag (not saying STO compares to UO) but back then 8s and 9s werent given out like candy.

You guys ever wonder why your excited about games only when there in development and then trash em when they release.  Its not the developers....... its you.  Hate to break it to you.   But what am I talking about all these mediocre games being released is due to proffesionals not knowing what there doing and are idiots compared to forum posters.  If gamers made a mmo it would be the best ever. DF and MO have to be the best mmos out there. Stable and feature complete with 0 imperfection.   And no need to be out for months to improve there just perfect on the day of release.

Its not like they hyped(some might say lied) the damn thing like WAR and AoC now that was some BS

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Are you serious?    $50 for a week or two of fun is a good game.  $50 dollars for months or years of fun is a classic. 
    Its fifty freakn dollars.  And 15 a month for extra content.   Games dont need to be made like EverCrack where you play so much you lose ur family, ability to get up and go to a toilet and your life. (yes thats right some people have died from mmo addiction, are species is that sad).
    Mabye im not harsh on games cause im a gamer. As in I play games for fun. And not to escape reality.

Back up. Your math is off. An MMO is 50 dollars for the box PLUS a monthly subscription. It is NOT 50 dollars for months or yearsof fun. 15 Dollars a month is not just for "extra" content, it's to maintain the game plus additional content except several games skip the extra content part and throw it into item stores and frequent expansions instead. Then you're not paying 15 for content are you... nope you are paying 15 dollars a month for them to hold a very minute amount of information and access to that server.  If all you are getting is a server to play with other people.. that's a multiplayer game, not an MMO.

If you lost your family and your life, I am sorry. Not everyone who plays an MMO is an addict and therefore tries to pay as much money as possible for as little return as they can get.

The fact that you are a gamer and play games for fun is pretty much a given. I don't even know why you brought it up. What do you think everyone else is... analysts playing these games?

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I like the graphics, but the game gets boring very quickly with too much repetition with combat. There are too many instances. You're not able to walk around inside your ship. Ship modeling is too limited as to what you can build. There isn't enough exploration of different planets on your own. To beam down to a planet, you have to be on a mission. And, there is only the planet where the mission is that you are able to beam down to.

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 507

Nice acurate review from my perspective, I actually gave the game a 7 on the cryptic questionaire, that said I will stick with the game becuase it is ST, and the space combat is the most fun I have had in an MMo in awhile.

STO makess a great secondary game, yes I will play one other MMo along with STO simply becuase there just isnt enough to do in STO to play it everyday.

I have to admit I do feel a tinge of disappointment though, I do feel a Star Trek MMo should have had a more open universe and that exploration should have been one of the key features along with diplomacy, and I get that the game takes place during a war, but still not every race encountered should be an enemy, so heres to hoping Cryptic can get a little more creative with future content,

Godz of War I call Thee

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

I pretty much have the same opinion of the game as the reviewer does. The game has potential but it feels rushed and sloppy atm. The Friendly AI is very poor atm. They continuously get stuck behind objects. Ground Combat in general needs to be tweaked, if not completely rewamped. I get most of the aggro even though my NPC's attack the mobs first. Sector Space travel is tedious and needs to be optional. If i want to "explore" these regions, i will do so if i want to. I should not be forced to do it. I have suggested on numerous occasions that travel should be done through the Bridge or Stellar cartography on board your ship. So, if i choose to go to specific location i should be able to to directly warp to it just by clicking on its location.

Space Combat, although enjoyable, can be quite frantic at times. I spent most of my time focusing on my Shields, Crew Count, Power Bar etc. than on the actual combat on screen. Just like the shields, there should be indicators on your ship that tell you when a Phaser/Torpedo etc. is ready to be fired. So, that i can fully focus my attention on the combat and the actual ship itself than on other elements on the screen.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Awesome review Jon and I think it sums up what STO is mch better than most of the reviews and opinions I've read.  I think some reviews and opinions are too wound up in the desires for the game of that particular writer.  I agree that STO as a whole is a mediocre game (which I think I always tried to portray was my expectation), but I hope that somehow someway Cryptic is able to touch on some things I've never seen as a strong point for them and that is truly engaging content.  Cryptic seems to design games with an arcade feel to them which translates to easy to pick up and play but not very engaging and I think Star Trek needs to be engaging with diplomacy and more engaging missions other than the normal "epic" episodes.  What STO does well I feel they do very well the problem then though is there is so much more that doesn't come off very good.

I still stand in defense of the game because as the review suggests on it's on merit it is atleast an average game and for me it has the added benefit of being set in a sci fi world with space travel elements.  I plan to stick with it for some time still but as it plays now once TOR drops I'll be leaving STO behind.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• inleinle Member UncommonPosts: 62

even as a long time startrek fan i was greatly disappointed in this game

and admittedly partly because of all the other mmo's iv played show me whats possible in an mmo

and i realize what could of bean done what was possible to make a viable and living and breathing star trek game and it leaves me in disappointment in what we got

not because its a bad game but because by letting this game be

feels like leaving the possibility that we will never see a better startrek game in the mmo market

because this is left to set precedence

as it is STO in my personal view doesn't do startrek any justece at all

i despise that half the races has bean religated to primarly pvp play and that was a huge game breaker to me as i detest pvp and i hate to see that a lot of star trek fans favorite races are now unplayable if you dont pvp

i hated and in my opinion denounce there crafting system as not being worthy of the tittle

it is not a crafting system at all

the game is not star trek its over all structure is not startrek

it should of had extensive exploration and politics not all pew pew loot rinse and repeat

not only should there be more but the few worlds you can explore with out a mission such as vulcan

should have some interaction not just walk around and see a myriad of NPC's standing around

thats not engaging at all and spits in the face of startrek

and it wreaks of free to play mmo quality  and the online store dosnt help that mater either

and as a trek fan i would of given it no more then a 5

that being said you do bring up a lot of good points in your review on the good parts of what this game has to offer

such as the character creation is truly great haven't seen better

and the space combat is fun and engaging

i even liked to some extent the ground combat

over all i still hold out hope that this game can one day be great but that day is not today .

all in all its a good game just not what i would of wanted in a startrek mmo

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    Originally posted by depain

STO is the worst game in the world. Those three letters should be removed from the alphabet.

I wouldn't say the worst in the world, since many of could probable list a whole host of games, but within the mmorpg market, it has shown to be a pretty defenseless game as a mmorpg, for the most part.