Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon = editable terrain like Wurm Online with twitch based PVP

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by sn0wblind00

Originally posted by davmac22

Originally posted by Skuz

I'm extremely sceptical about this game & it's "wishlist" of features, can't say I believe anything close to 1/10th of it will make it into the game in any kind of working, effecient & impactful condition, at least not in under 10 years without a billion dollar budget.
    Next they'll be posting videos of the devs walking on water.

Did you read earlier responses?  All of the features on the features page are 80% completed and will be in the game at launch except for the Evolution thing that will come later in the prelude.

After the incredibly feature-incomplete releases of Darkfall and Mortal Online, I'm surprised you are so optimistic in another indie game with zero proof of actual gameplay.  This puts it a step *behind* the above two.  I wonder...who will mention if this game is good or bad if no one buys it

The chance of no one buying is 0%. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Margulis

I'm extremely sceptical about this game & it's "wishlist" of features, can't say I believe anything close to 1/10th of it will make it into the game in any kind of working, effecient & impactful condition, at least not in under 10 years without a billion dollar budget.

Did you read earlier responses?  All of the features on the features page are 80% completed and will be in the game at launch except for the Evolution thing that will come later in the prelude.

After the incredibly feature-incomplete releases of Darkfall and Mortal Online, I'm surprised you are so optimistic in another indie game with zero proof of actual gameplay.  This puts it a step *behind* the above two.  I wonder...who will mention if this game is good or bad if no one buys it

Yep, because absolutely no-one has learned their lesson yet.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• davmac22davmac22 Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by GTwander

Originally posted by Margulis

Yep, because absolutely no-one has learned their lesson yet.

And then people can get refunds.

imageimageimage

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I'm skeptical but hope that this game isn't a scam. If it actually implements the features they've listed it should be an awesome game. Earthrise is my other big MMO hope this year.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

Looks promising. I'll wait for a video, some beta feedback, and a screenshot or video with the GUI before preordering, but once I'm certain something will launch at, or around april 15. I'll probably give it a go. $40 for the game with two months included isn't much of a risk, and is about as long as I give all new MMOs before deciding if I'll stick with them.

My only gripe (except for the obvious "too good to be true") is the "All features on the list are at least 80% complete" comment. That may very well be true, but as a programmer I know that getting something to 80% complete often takes about 20% of the time. That's generally the point you should work to solo on any project before bringing in more resources. Anyway, if a lot of features are 80% complete from a programmer's point of view, they are certainly not going to be 100% complete in 6 weeks. 

We'll see, though. If it actually launches in a playable state, it sounds like the kind of game that is worth a few headaches to be part of from the start.

• nutsoddsnutsodds Member Posts: 89

All the features listed at hte web are 100% finished.80% means the % the new features needs to be announced.

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by nutsodds

All the features listed at hte web are 100% finished.80% means the % the new features needs to be announced.

Sure they are, the proof is in the pudding.And so far we have seen no proof.

The only quote I can find on the official forums is:

I'm not going going to announce any features that aren't already at least 80% done. There are quite a few interesting things I left off the features list for this reason.

That tells me that features need to be at least 80% complete before being announced, and all features already on the list are at least 80% complete. He also says that everything on the list except evolution will be in in 6 weeks. Am I missing some information here?

It's certainly impressive if it's true, but other games have had similar lists of features that were 100% certain to make it into the game in a working stage at release (I'm looking at you Darkfall), so being sceptical is only natural. I do like the visions for the game, and I'm 90% certain I'll try it at launch. I won't believe for a second that everything on the features list is in the game, and working as intended until I get solid proof or try it for myself, though.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495
    Originally posted by Nizur

I'm skeptical but hope that this game isn't a scam. If it actually implements the features they've listed it should be an awesome game. Earthrise is my other big MMO hope this year.

I thought DF would be a crappy game, not because it would be poorly implemented, but becuase of the features.

Use it to improve it skills, coupled with FPS combat seems like a crappy combo for an MMORPG to me.

Even if you did it with the polish of WoW, I wouldn't be interested in a game with that feature set.

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Use it to improve it skills, coupled with FPS combat seems like a crappy combo for an MMORPG to me.

There are two ways to increase skills. In addition to increasing skills by use, you get xp for combat, crafting etc. Each time you get a certain amount of xp you get skillpoints to allocate in addition to those you get through useage. It's a good system, at least when I've tried it in various MUDs, and should work well with "FPS combat" since it removes the need to drag out fights to increase skill gains. Also, it's not restricted to first person, and manual targeting does not necessarily mean FPS style combat.

Edit: That's for Xsyon of course. I agree that Darkfall's advancement system doesn't work too well, but the way it was implemented is not much like how it was described. The same may be true for Xsyon, but you never know.

Originally posted by Zyonne

The only quote I can find on the official forums is:

I'm not going going to announce any features that aren't already at least 80% done. There are quite a few interesting things I left off the features list for this reason.

That tells me that features need to be at least 80% complete before being announced, and all features already on the list are at least 80% complete. He also says that everything on the list except evolution will be in in 6 weeks. Am I missing some information here?

It's certainly impressive if it's true, but other games have had similar lists of features that were 100% certain to make it into the game in a working stage at release (I'm looking at you Darkfall), so being sceptical is only natural. I do like the visions for the game, and I'm 90% certain I'll try it at launch. I won't believe for a second that everything on the features list is in the game, and working as intended until I get solid proof or try it for myself, though.

at least in this forum is this post  http://www.xsyon.com/forums/6-general-discussion/43-features-list-content-on-april-15-2010

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Ihmotepp
    Originally posted by Nizur I'm skeptical but hope that this game isn't a scam. If it actually implements the features they've listed it should be an awesome game. Earthrise is my other big MMO hope this year.

I thought DF would be a crappy game, not because it would be poorly implemented, but becuase of the features.

Even if you did it with the polish of WoW, I wouldn't be interested in a game with that feature set.

To each their own. I enjoy sandboxes and Darkfall in particular quite a bit despite its flaws. It's not a game that everyone will love, and it's not trying to be.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• mutombo55mutombo55 Member Posts: 151

So, how exactly does combat work?

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

I smell big stinky vaporware!

Those screens look pre-rendered, the site runs of a joomla install, just look at the source, their list of deliverables would make SOE tremble at the time and dough it would take to develop something this sizable, and finally, how many games do you know where the devs talk to the community frequently? none, why? cause they're freggin busy that's why.

Also, how about before you ask people to pre-order you at least post a video of some in game footage, or head to a conference, I mean Aventurine even did it, and those guys didnt say anything, FE did it, and they're indy. MO, for all its faults, had a beta, players and people there's, there was in game footage.

This thing is a S.C.A.M. Scam. willing to put a few chips on that one, and if it is real, good for them, we need more indy games with cojones, but I highly highly doubt this thing is anything more than a well themed joomla install.

Also,. you want, check out Jordi Grau Davis' Facebook Profile here, his cousin in BCN - Maurici Grau Ribes, and http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexeyegoshin - lead developer,

if most of the team is in Russia, I'm reckoning the development was/is outsourced.

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• ruvokaruvoka Member UncommonPosts: 42

Lol the FE community is hilarious when it comes to this game.

• RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by rhinok

Don't get me wrong, they could just be a legitimate, but very low-budget indie developer.  There's just not enough info out there for me to blindly hand over my money to them.
    I'm definitely taking a "wait and see" approach.
    ~Ripper

I find it incredibly hard to believe that they would be taking pre-order for a game that seemed to pop out of thin air with absolutely nothing aside from an incredibly bland website and a handful of screenshots that could very likely be nothing more than still screens created in a 3D editor.

It could be legitimate, but the pre-order thing just screams "scam", when there is virtually nothing about the game. Even if the game is legit, it probably is in a very early alpha and won't be released for several years, which again makes the whole pre-order issue seem fishy.

Why not? That is what Star Vault did.

Originally posted by jamigre

Those screens look pre-rendered, the site runs of a joomla install, just look at the source, their list of deliverables would make SOE tremble at the time and dough it would take to develop something this sizable, and finally, how many games do you know where the devs talk to the community frequently? none, why? cause they're freggin busy that's why.
    Also, how about before you ask people to pre-order you at least post a video of some in game footage, or head to a conference, I mean Aventurine even did it, and those guys didnt say anything, FE did it, and they're indy. MO, for all its faults, had a beta, players and people there's, there was in game footage.
    This thing is a S.C.A.M. Scam. willing to put a few chips on that one, and if it is real, good for them, we need more indy games with cojones, but I highly highly doubt this thing is anything more than a well themed joomla install.

Also,. you want, check out Jordi Grau Davis' Facebook Profile here, his cousin in BCN - Maurici Grau Ribes, and http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexeyegoshin - lead developer,
    if most of the team is in Russia, I'm reckoning the development was/is outsourced.

If you are making an effort to cheapen this game is because you are upset about it,probably those who cheap this game are from other game  companies...LOL when you are critic it is for something....for example I don't mind,I only wait...but for me it deserves a respect.

If you are making an effort to cheapen this game is because you are upset about it,probably those who cheap this game are from other game  companies...LOL when you are critic it is for something....for example I don't mind,I only wait...but for me it deserves a respect.

Mortal Online comes to my mind.

imageimageimage

I can't argue that it's not a scam since there's not enough proof either way. I don't think your arguments for why it must be a scam are worth much, though.

1. Announcing that something is vaporware a few days after it has been announced, and a few weeks before it supposedly launches, is just silly. Either it launches and it's real, or it fails to launch after people have paid for the pre-order and it's a scam.
    2. I don't get your gripe with Joomla. There's no cheaper way to make, and maintain a semi-professional website. It makes perfect sense for an indie developer to make use of such tools so they don't need to use programmers' time on the website. Granted, an open source CMS is also a great tool for creating a scam website, but the only thing it proves is that they are not willing to invest a huge amount of time and money in the website right now.
    3. Developers tend to talk to their communities frequently until it grows to a size where it is no longer practical to do so without going through a community manager. In other words, AAA companies very rarely do so because their titles get hyped from day one after being announced. Indie developers can usually afford to do so almost up until launch. It's got nothing to do with time constraints, just professionalism and how every statement by a developer is taken as official and might backfire if not thought through.
    4. There's nothing wrong with putting up the pre-order button early. I agree that it would be naive to actually make use of it right now, but assuming the game is not a scam, some people are already in beta or have inside information that gives them reason to pre-order. The earlier account creation/management and payment systems are tested, the better. 6 weeks is not a very long time, and they'd have to come up with a very good excuse not to release a video and some screenshots of GUI etc in the coming week. If that looks satisfactory, there'll be more reason to trust they have a real product to offer, and the pre-order functionality will already be in place.
    5. Yes, a lot of the development is definitely outsourced. How is that a problem? A few of the russians have apparently studied in the US, so communication shouldn't be a problem, and there are plenty of native english speakers to produce all the text players will actually see. Outsourcing is, and always will be, the way to go for companies that don't have money to burn.

Is the game "too good to be true"? Probably. Is it a scam? Maybe, but a poorly executed one if so. If they had an NDA in place, no announced launch date, and appealed more to the mass-market, I'd be more inclined to think so. I for one am looking forward to seeing what the next few weeks will bring. The only reason to scream "SCAM!" and "VAPORWARE!" now is so you can go "I told you so!" afterwards if it turns out you're right. If it's actually a good game, you can just go play it without commenting on it again. Win, win, right?

Originally posted by Zyonne

I can't argue that it's not a scam since there's not enough proof either way. I don't think your arguments for why it must be a scam are worth much, though.

1. Announcing that something is vaporware a few days after it has been announced, and a few weeks before it supposedly launches, is just silly. Either it launches and it's real, or it fails to launch after people have paid for the pre-order and it's a scam.
    2. I don't get your gripe with Joomla. There's no cheaper way to make, and maintain a semi-professional website. It makes perfect sense for an indie developer to make use of such tools so they don't need to use programmers' time on the website. Granted, an open source CMS is also a great tool for creating a scam website, but the only thing it proves is that they are not willing to invest a huge amount of time and money in the website right now.
    3. Developers tend to talk to their communities frequently until it grows to a size where it is no longer practical to do so without going through a community manager. In other words, AAA companies very rarely do so because their titles get hyped from day one after being announced. Indie developers can usually afford to do so almost up until launch. It's got nothing to do with time constraints, just professionalism and how every statement by a developer is taken as official and might backfire if not thought through.
    4. There's nothing wrong with putting up the pre-order button early. I agree that it would be naive to actually make use of it right now, but assuming the game is not a scam, some people are already in beta or have inside information that gives them reason to pre-order. The earlier account creation/management and payment systems are tested, the better. 6 weeks is not a very long time, and they'd have to come up with a very good excuse not to release a video and some screenshots of GUI etc in the coming week. If that looks satisfactory, there'll be more reason to trust they have a real product to offer, and the pre-order functionality will already be in place.
    5. Yes, a lot of the development is definitely outsourced. How is that a problem? A few of the russians have apparently studied in the US, so communication shouldn't be a problem, and there are plenty of native english speakers to produce all the text players will actually see. Outsourcing is, and always will be, the way to go for companies that don't have money to burn.

Is the game "too good to be true"? Probably. Is it a scam? Maybe, but a poorly executed one if so. If they had an NDA in place, no announced launch date, and appealed more to the mass-market, I'd be more inclined to think so. I for one am looking forward to seeing what the next few weeks will bring. The only reason to scream "SCAM!" and "VAPORWARE!" now is so you can go "I told you so!" afterwards if it turns out you're right. If it's actually a good game, you can just go play it without commenting on it again. Win, win, right?

QFT

imageimageimage

• TJ_420TJ_420 Member Posts: 224

I never called it Vaporware but I suspect it will be a very poor implementation of the listed feature set, broken, buggy and destined to fail.

Why? One reason only. "PRE ORDER NOW" after just being announced by an unknown company promising the world.

I HOPE I am wrong, but if History proves anything.....

Originally posted by TJ_420

I never called it Vaporware but I suspect it will be a very poor implementation of the listed feature set, broken, buggy and destined to fail.
    Why? One reason only. "PRE ORDER NOW" after just being announced by an unknown company promising the world.
    I HOPE I am wrong, but if History proves anything.....

We all hope your wrong.  If this one does not work out, I think I am done with MMOs for awhile.  Too many junk indie MMOs recently and too many junk themepark ones.

imageimageimage

• TJ_420TJ_420 Member Posts: 224

I know- I feel very much the same... I find myself on these MMO forums now WAAAAY roo much just hoping someone brings up a gem that I have not heard of.

I REALLY hope this is a success, because as you stated- I am really close to being done with the whole thing and finding a new hobby. =(

Originally posted by TJ_420

I know- I feel very much the same... I find myself on these MMO forums now WAAAAY roo much just hoping someone brings up a gem that I have not heard of.
    I REALLY hope this is a success, because as you stated- I am really close to being done with the whole thing and finding a new hobby. =(

Yep, too many failures in the MMO world these days, getting old.

imageimageimage