Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$1 Trial

ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47

I didn't get to play  too much, but the time that I spent in the game left me unimpressed to say the least.

A good game, like anything else, is supposed to grab you from the beginning and keep you wanting more... Darkfall lacked life, adventure, art, playability... everything necessary for a game to succeed.  I was really excited about this trial... The last game I played loyaly was Vanguard... I was looking for another game with an open-ended world and full of adventure.  Darkfall just felt like it was a large map with one texture stretched over it.  Yes... it's massive... extremely massive, but it's lifeless.  I gave it a few days... I wasn't going to give up right off the bat.  Perhaps there was something to keep me playing... so I did.  It wasn't the worst game, but it surely isn't anything to dish out money for.  The world was just dead... plain and simply... dead.

I know I don't post much, but I'm just putting in my two cents about the trial... also hoping that something good comes out soon.  I can really go for adventure and skill based gaming... If nothing comes out, I'll most likely return to vanguard.

Playing- GWII.
Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.

Comments

• xanphiaxanphia Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by Elquin

I didn't get to play  too much, but the time that I spent in the game left me unimpressed to say the least.
    A good game, like anything else, is supposed to grab you from the beginning and keep you wanting more... Darkfall lacked life, adventure, art, playability... everything necessary for a game to succeed.  I was really excited about this trial... The last game I played loyaly was Vanguard... I was looking for another game with an open-ended world and full of adventure.  Darkfall just felt like it was a large map with one texture stretched over it.  Yes... it's massive... extremely massive, but it's lifeless.  I gave it a few days... I wasn't going to give up right off the bat.  Perhaps there was something to keep me playing... so I did.  It wasn't the worst game, but it surely isn't anything to dish out money for.  The world was just dead... plain and simply... dead.
    I know I don't post much, but I'm just putting in my two cents about the trial... also hoping that something good comes out soon.  I can really go for adventure and skill based gaming... If nothing comes out, I'll most likely return to vanguard.

Hmm where were you located at? The world isn't dead by me at any stretch.

Edit* Wait you say this game is dead but Vanguard isn't? I question your judgement.

• ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47

I spent most of my time in Sandbrook doing newbie quests and killing mobs. After i finished up the quests there I ventured across Agon to go to Rubaiyat.  My whole trek there... the land was very barren and boring... no life at all, whatsoever.  Vanguard certainly shows more life in every regard.  I am not speaking about the player population... I wouldn't know... I haven't played in a while now, which will soon change after I'm done installing.  Everything about Vanguard had life and felt real... I guess that's why I'm returning and why it's the game for me.  lol

Playing- GWII.
    Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.

• DrakkhenDrakkhen Member Posts: 195

Wait ... What?

You play Vanguard and you say Darkfalls world is dead?

You know, if you would have used any other MMO world  I probably would have agreed with you.

Anyway,  AV has added wildlife, and a few more mob spawns ... and while it isn't full by any means it's much more alive than Telon. And, from what I've read about DF 2010 it's only going to get livelier!

• Naturalist99Naturalist99 Member Posts: 182

I got the trial for DF yesterday, i played a total of 2 hours yesterday, and it was a very confusing game, even if I did join NEW, I did a few quests, nothing grabbed me though, it seemed dull and lifeless, but play more. I played just a little more this morning and BAM! It hit me, the game got me, ive already played 3 hours today, I got a good idea of all the ways and weapons for combat, got some interesting armor to make me stand out, got some gold, and I feel like im in it already, I want to just junp into PvP but I know thats not going to happen anytime soon, haha, still, you gotta learn the ropes of the game before it grabs you, this isnt WoW where they give you everything at the begining and say press 1, do a quest, deliver this, now play, and all styles of play are the same, in Darkfall, Magic is not similar to archery, or to melee, all very different styles of play.

MMOs played: Too many
    Watch List: FFXIV, CoH:GR, GW2, SWTOR, TERA, Earthrise

I'm not in the game for the quests... I just want to have fun and be a part of an adventure.  Something all RPGs should be able to do.  It wouldn't bother me at all if there were no quests, but at least spruce the world up.  The spawns are so spread out and unrealistic.  The wildlife is rare... towns copied and pasted... everything copied and pasted, lol.  I've had the flu and I've been playing non-stop for a while now, but it has yet to do anything for me.  Everything seems like it's just a dam progress bar loading.  Spells, melee, crafting, running, swimming, healing... it's just a progress bar with a few graphics thrown on top and called something different, but in reality... it all feels the same!  I don't know why, but that's how it is... it's missing life for some reason.

Playing- GWII.

and hey... I don't mean to upset anyone... again... I'm just giving you all my opinion.  I guess I was just expecting more and left empty.  Something I'm running into with countless MMO games and I'm wondering why I never returned to Vanguard after my personal matters were sorted out.

Playing- GWII.

• jango1337jango1337 Member Posts: 217

http://feylines.net/yourmom/   it doesn't look that empty to me (zoom in to see mobs)

Each of those spawns is spread out from each other between great distances...  That map shows it.  If you want to make a large map... Utilize the space!  Don't just make it big so you can say you have a huge ass game.  lol

Playing- GWII.

• jango1337jango1337 Member Posts: 217

Each of those spawns is spread out from each other between great distances...  That map shows it.  If you want to make a large map... Utilize the space!  Don't just make it big so you can say you have a huge ass game.  lol

the spawns are fine trust me the game is about PvP and you don't want to be pvping in a mob spawn every 5 feet.

Hehe... I don't think you have to worry about that.  The game is large enough to give it some life and PVP safely.

Playing- GWII.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I'm not in the game for the quests... I just want to have fun and be a part of an adventure.  Something all RPGs should be able to do.  It wouldn't bother me at all if there were no quests, but at least spruce the world up.  The spawns are so spread out and unrealistic.  The wildlife is rare... towns copied and pasted... everything copied and pasted, lol.  I've had the flu and I've been playing non-stop for a while now, but it has yet to do anything for me.  Everything seems like it's just a dam progress bar loading.  Spells, melee, crafting, running, swimming, healing... it's just a progress bar with a few graphics thrown on top and called something different, but in reality... it all feels the same!  I don't know why, but that's how it is... it's missing life for some reason.

Adventure is something that Darkfall has LOADS of. Thing is, the game doesn't hand it to you. Every day I'm carried away on some adventure, seeing something new, getting into huge battles, running from dragons, having a blast.

Things are spread out because it's not a PVE game, primarily. You need room to fight other players without mobs getting in the way....and let's face it. it's simply not realistic to have mobs all over the place just waiting for a player to kill them. You'll find mobs in logical places, doing the things that mobs do.

BUT.....you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Sandbox style games aren't for everyone.

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Adventure is something that Darkfall has LOADS of. Thing is, the game doesn't hand it to you. Every day I'm carried away on some adventure, seeing something new, getting into huge battles, running from dragons, having a blast.

Things are spread out because it's not a PVE game, primarily. You need room to fight other players without mobs getting in the way....and let's face it. it's simply not realistic to have mobs all over the place just waiting for a player to kill them. You'll find mobs in logical places, doing the things that mobs do.

BUT.....you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Sandbox style games aren't for everyone.

so is that what sandbox means lack of content? I find the game moderately interesting poor ui, clunky combat not worth 50 dollars for sure imo

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Not sure what you mean by lack of content as there is plenty, unless you are referring to your typical mmo style of quest quest quest quest till your head falls off.

If over 10 crafting skills, dozens upon dozens of magery and weapon skills, ship building and sailing,  city building and sieges , clan wars, mount crafting, full loot pvp, housing with crafted deco and a crap ton of other stuff is your idea of lack of content, im not really sure what you are looking for.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Xerith

Not sure what you mean by lack of content as there is plenty, unless you are referring to your typical mmo style of quest quest quest quest till your head falls off.
    If over 10 crafting skills, dozens upon dozens of magery and weapon skills, ship building and sailing,  city building and sieges , clan wars, mount crafting, full loot pvp, housing with crafted deco and a crap ton of other stuff is your idea of lack of content, im not really sure what you are looking for.

I believe some gamers would rather have the novel written and laid out for them, as opposed to a more "choose your own adventure" type of style.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

I believe some gamers would rather have the novel written and laid out for them, as oppsed to a more "choose your own adventure" type of style.

sry try to spin my opinion in a bad light all you want every mmo i play i choose  my own adventure and play it the way i want when i want to qst i quest when i want to grind i grind and everyone i have had content from the get go with stuff that kept me there not the elusive grind and pay the monthly sub and someday you'll be out building ships and what not so far its been run around  looking for a mob to kill and running to town real deep story there

Originally posted by alucard3000

sry try to spin my opinion in a bad light all you want every mmo i play i choose  my own adventure and play it the way i want when i want to qst i quest when i want to grind i grind and everyone i have had content from the get go with stuff that kept me there not the elusive grind and pay the monthly sub and someday you'll be out building ships and what not so far its been run around  looking for a mob to kill and running to town real deep story there

Ok, lol. Take a breath, and please use some periods in those posts, or at least one ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Ok, lol. Take a breath, and please use some periods in those posts, or at least one ;)

w/e sry you dont like my opinion Im not the one puffing up and posturing because someone didnt have the same opinion on your game of choice

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I believe some gamers would rather have the novel written and laid out for them, as oppsed to a more "choose your own adventure" type of style.

join a clan.

looks like you took that pretty personal there, im sorry but with most mmos people dont even read the quests or anything and there all stupid anyways, with no real story a all, except for cutscenes every 30 lvls of the game, nothing any1 cares about except for gear. in darkfall any way you can think of to get gear, you can get it that way, any path you wanna take, take it, nothing limits you, no classes, no linear story, no 1 path you have to take, you can just stroll through the game, make your character the way you invision him, get (loot/buy/craft) new gear, and take it to pvp and find players. A lot of the time though, players will be the ones finding you, the beauty of the game is with the game so open, any direction you take youll end up making progress, having fun, and just accomplishing something

w/e sry you dont like my opinion Im not the one puffing up and posturing because someone didnt have the same opinion on your game of choice

I'm neither puffing nor posturing. I don't really know much about your opinion, you just keep taking shots at the game and the people who play it. All you need to do is add something to the discussion. It's much more interesting that way.

Originally posted by Naturalist99

looks like you took that pretty personal there, im sorry but with most mmos people dont even read the quests or anything and there all stupid anyways, with no real story a all, except for cutscenes every 30 lvls of the game, nothing any1 cares about except for gear. in darkfall any way you can think of to get gear, you can get it that way, any path you wanna take, take it, nothing limits you, no classes, no linear story, no 1 path you have to take, you can just stroll through the game, make your character the way you invision him, get (loot/buy/craft) new gear, and take it to pvp and find players. A lot of the time though, players will be the ones finding you, the beauty of the game is with the game so open, any direction you take youll end up making progress, having fun, and just accomplishing something

yea i did i dont like being quoted and then misconstrued in that quote for their personal attack just because the person didnt like my personal opinion and if you read from where i started you would see why, and as far as gear goes darkfall is no different than a gear grinder except your grinding for the stats instead of the gear that has the stats.

I'm neither puffing nor posturing. I don't really know much about your opinion, you just keep taking shots at the game and the people who play it. All you need to do is add something to the discussion. It's much more interesting that way.

funny your the one that took the shot at me I expressed my opinion of the game and never took a shot at anyone their bud if you dont like my opinion I am sry I cant help that

• AlienexAlienex Member Posts: 6

It has been explained ample times that the fee is there to protect the the current player base. Trial accounts would be heavily abused if it was free.

How can you cry about a dollar?!  gosh man... just go away...

Originally posted by Naturalist99

yea i did i dont like being quoted and then misconstrued in that quote for their personal attack just because the person didnt like my personal opinion and if you read from where i started you would see why, and as far as gear goes darkfall is no different than a gear grinder except your grinding for the stats instead of the gear that has the stats.

I wouldnt call Darkfall a gear grinder or stat grinder, some people play that way because they want to be PvP competitive, but even if you want to be that way u dont have to grind, im enjoying my time just doing basic quests, finding gear along the way and improving my stats while doing it, most of the time in an MMO, i only look at my lvl, its the thing that most people look at, you constantly want to increase that, in this game, i feel lvlless, even with the stats system I feel a lot more free

Yes the players now have a 24 newbie protection to get started before the trial was imlemented, its just enough time to get decent gear, join a clan, learn the ropes of the game, upgrade stats, and bank some items before getting ganked.