Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Aion Magazine Announced

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

NCsoft has announced a new digital magazine for Aion called "Aion: The Magazine." The monthly issued magazine will be available exclusively through the official Aion website, with each issue to include an exclusive in-game item.

Details on the magazine's contents can be found below:

The Official Aion Magazine offers the high-quality design and editorial of a printed magazine together with the interactive content only offered by a digital magazine. Issue 1 is a massive 100 page issue, but each issue you can look forward to...

• - Over 60 pages of editorial in the digital magazine every month
  • - Exclusive interviews getting you behind the scenes of the game
  • - Guild of the Month and Players of the Month features
  • - Getting Started section, helping you understand your class, the game, and key areas throughout Aion
  • - Expert Guides to key content to help you hone your Aion skills
  • - Bonus unique in-game item with every issue, exclusive to magazine subscribers

A single issue will run you $3.99, though you can save some scratch by subscribing to the 6 (10% off) or 12 (20% off) issue package, both of which come with an array of bonus in-game items.

Pre-orders for the first issue of Aion: The Magazine, which will be published on March 26th, are being taken now, with the first issue's exclusive in-game item consisting of a "Kerub Hat."

Subscribe to Aion: The Magazine, here!

Comments

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

How are they going to have enough content to fill the magazine every month, when they don't have new content for the game?

• shadowfox561shadowfox561 Member UncommonPosts: 18

OK this is seriously starting to get sad, Monthly subscription plus item store now a online magazine they want us to pay for... NC Soft i was all for your game at first now it seems you are just squeezing every nickle and dime out of your once loyal customers with very little in return, the other F2P games are giving me more content updates more quests more equipment and i dont have to pay a dime unless i want to.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I am seriously puzzled as to why they are charging for this when other games have done similar things on their websites for free.

Guild Wars used to have a guild of the month posting with interviews on its site each month for everyone to read. Lotro has dev diaries each month for free as well as a host of other back stage content with its players and staff.

Im starting to get a little worried to be honest with how much mmo companies are starting to charge for.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Xerith

I am seriously puzzled as to why they are charging for this when other games have done similar things on their websites for free.
    Guild Wars used to have a guild of the month posting with interviews on its site each month for everyone to read. Lotro has dev diaries each month for free as well as a host of other back stage content with its players and staff.
    Im starting to get a little worried to be honest with how much mmo companies are starting to charge for.

This is a 60-page magazine, it can't really be compared to one weekly interview, not to mention they feature the weekly "Eye on the Community" and the monthly "Community Address" open letter, so it's not like they don't give any coverage.

I'm quite amazed at how they plan to do it monthly though, even the World of Warcraft magazine is quarterly, though it isn't digital and more meant as a collection item (adding the nasty shipping fee which for most places outside NA and EU could cost you more than the magazine itself), not to mention bigger.

And I also wonder from WHERE they will be getting enough content for a monthly magazine, but we will see.

• hauptmann85hauptmann85 Member Posts: 29

I generally do not agree with the resource being spent on this online magazine, however, it does seem perhaps this will foreshadow the things to come in Aion?

My hope is that they will FINALLY release so much content (from the Aion Vision trailer for example), that it will REQUIRE them all 60 pages to cover everything in this game, every month.

But one can only hope. I'm giving NC until June before I quit from the unsatisfactory updates/content.

• prototypoprototypo Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by shadowfox561

OK this is seriously starting to get sad, Monthly subscription plus item store now a online magazine they want us to pay for... NC Soft i was all for your game at first now it seems you are just squeezing every nickle and dime out of your once loyal customers with very little in return, the other F2P games are giving me more content updates more quests more equipment and i dont have to pay a dime unless i want to.

While it isn't mandatory to purchase i do agree with your sediments that it seems like they are being greedy about the way they are doing business, they are charging for every little thing now, charging for vanity services is one thing but charging for event items and now this (The magazine's since they are digital issue's should be a free service for subscribing). Seeing this i feel so good that i let my sub run out on the 20th.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

I don't see why anyone would feel so hurt by this news. As long as they don't give out game play advantages in any way, it's perfectly fine.

This is an optional magazine which will undoubtedly have cool info and stuff for subscribers, but non-subscribers wont be missing out on anything really important. I might pre-order for one month just for the black/white dyes and see what it's about but I doubt it's going to be anything mind-blowing.

HINT: They are NOT forcing anyone to buy the magazine. You don't want it, don't buy it. People who find a way to complain and frustrate themselves about this news need serious help.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

I love how people say "it's optional" which we all know it is. Though just cause its optional doesn't mean they ain't going to add something worth getting from the magazine like new wings or potions that might give an advantage. The idea that they ain't going to add anything that wont effect gameplay is unrealistic. Adding stuff like dyes and fluff items doesn't seem like enough for people to get into the magazine. So they are eventually going to add something that people are going to want or need which then means more money you got to spend.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171
    Originally posted by Otakun

The idea that they ain't going to add anything that wont effect gameplay is unrealistic. Adding stuff like dyes and fluff items doesn't seem like enough for people to get into the magazine. So they are eventually going to add something that people are going to want or need which then means more money you got to spend.

If / when that happens then it's a totally different issue.

Dyes and "fluff" items as you call them are enough for people to subscribe. It's a way to look cool / unique, plenty of people in my guild are going to pre-order the first issue just for the dyes. Cosmetic appearance is worth it for lots of players.

However If they start adding stuff that give any advantage whatsoever to the subscriber game play-wise, then they're going to be losing ALOT of players. It is possible, just not very likely IMO.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I'm sorry but the 'fluff' such as dye should be available in the game, this is is just another way to extract money from their player base. Paying for event items was bad enough. How they have the cheek to invest resources in to this magazine when the game is sorely lacking in content is beyond me. I voted with my wallet months ago and left this game behind, they continue to confirm my cynicism.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

I'm sorry but the 'fluff' such as dye should be available in the game, this is is just another way to extract money from their player base. Paying for event items was bad enough. How they have the cheek to invest resources in to this magazine when the game is sorely lacking in content is beyond me. I voted with my wallet months ago and left this game behind, they continue to confirm my cynicism.

Well... it is available in game.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Black and White dye are available in game now? my bad :)

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Black and White dye are available in game now? my bad :)

The bad thing is they drop from elites but you know the drop rates are great atm lol

The bad thing is they drop from elites but you know the drop rates are great atm lol

Oh yes the drop rates..at least that is something they have said will be improved :)

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

I like the idea of a magazine for subscribers, but perhaps it should come with the subscription. You are buying to play the game after all, should be something to keep you playing, rather then something extra.

Think of it along the lines of that extra customer service beyond the call of duty.

I've worked at ASDA for too long methinks....

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by hauptmann85

I generally do not agree with the resource being spent on this online magazine, however, it does seem perhaps this will foreshadow the things to come in Aion?
    My hope is that they will FINALLY release so much content (from the Aion Vision trailer for example), that it will REQUIRE them all 60 pages to cover everything in this game, every month.
    But one can only hope. I'm giving NC until June before I quit from the unsatisfactory updates/content.

I'm happy to see someone has some common sense and if I were a betting man, I'm guessing that by the time June rolls around, you'll be happy that you stayed with the game.

I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about this game and comparing it's content to other games out there, most of which have more content, yet are complete garbage. More of something that is garbage is still garbage, in my eyes. I'd much rather have something with less content and more polish, than something that has been adding content to a broken game. Warhammer ring a bell anyone? How many others have we seen like that. Yes, others release new content, however, they fail to fix the 2-3 major problems that everyone complains about. Aion has done a much better job than most at addressing player concerns and in addition, I feel has done an outstanding job tackling the two most pressing issues that players had to this point with botters and sellers.

Is Aion lacking content? Yes! Is the game barely 6-months from release? Yes. Yet, I find it humorous that the main thing anyone can complain about with this game is that it either lacks content or is too much of a grind. Give it time and I believe they will address both, but people have got to be patient. And, furthermore, people should be comparing apples to apples here. Take a game like Aion and compare it to other games at an equivalent stage in that game's development process, not something that has been out for a few years.

I really don't believe that NCsoft would have released the "Vision" tralier and later, plans for this magazine, without really thinking it through in regards to the content to support such things.

Your fail comment, failed.

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

How is gold spam in this game still? And botters? Has anything been to to seriously combat this problem? Or has the level requirement to talk globally reached 50 yet?

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Morgaren

How is gold spam in this game still? And botters? Has anything been to to seriously combat this problem? Or has the level requirement to talk globally reached 50 yet?

If you find out, be sure to inform Blizzard. I'm sure they'd love to know how to bot-proof and spam-proof their game. ^.~

<3

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

i can't tell you the last time i saw gold spam, botters are a rarity as well deffinitly cleaned the game up ALOT. that is the one thing they seemed to have actually done was kill botters/spammers. but they really need to get thier ass in gear on content, they haven't really added anything since NA launch

• etikilametikilam Member Posts: 41

This is a lie. They do not drop "from elites".

• sydricsydric Member Posts: 45

i bet half the magazine will have gold spam ads in it.

• DwarvishDwarvish Member Posts: 208

I think you can see from the lack of complaints that the bot/gold spam has been addressed.  There are very very few popping up these days.

That said, I have never complained about cash shops but this is going to have game info ( screw the items) which should be readily available to players.

For anyone familiar with Guild Wars  ( Arenanet, producer NC ) the difference is striking.  Wiki has vague references that as often as not go in circles. GW was easy to navigate and had a wealth of game info. Now it may be available....but only if you are willing to subscribe to the GAME mag info for a price.

The game info listed in the features are things that any game should have as part of its player support. 

Over 60 pages of editorial in the digital magazine every month

•- Exclusive interviews getting you behind the scenes of the game ( ok, I pay for your pep talk on the game??? )

•- Guild of the Month and Players of the Month features ( why  isn't this part of the game)

•- Getting Started section, helping you understand your class, the game, and key areas throughout Aion  (Auuug! s.b part of         basic game support)

•- Expert Guides to key content to help you hone your Aion skills ( see above)

•- Bonus unique in-game item with every issue, exclusive to magazine subscribers

• storm-dragonstorm-dragon Member Posts: 157

You know I sometimes question the sanity of game devlopers.

Our game is plauged with Bots  and Gold sellers, and has the single worst community of any other MMo (Think Xbox live meets south park ) and is bleeding subscribers at an unprecidented rate.

I know lets put out a magazine and charge for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111  

This sword here at my side dont act the way it should
    Keeps calling me its master, but I feel like its slave
    Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave
    And it howls! it howls like hell!

• HerukhutiHerukhuti Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr

Is the game barely 6-months from release? Yes. 

I had to register just to ask the question of why people keep giving out false information on how long Aion has been around. The game was released in Korea over 1 year before it was made available to the West. So the statement above is false, yet people keep trying to use US release time period to support their argument that the game is too new to complain about its content level. I find doing that to be disingenuous to say the least.