Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Dev Dispatch: Returning to Taris

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

This week's Friday Update is the latest in the series of Developer Dispatch videos, this time focusing on the inclusion of Taris as a playable planet in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

For the uninitiated, Taris was a Coruscant-like metropolis planet, which also served as the player's first destination in the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The planet was subsequently razed from space by the fleet of the Sith Empire under the command of Sith Lord Darth Malak, who was seeking to destroy Jedi Knight Bastila Shan. 300 years have passed since then, and Taris is making its return in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Find out what you can expect to find on Taris in Developer Dispatch: Returning to Taris.

Comments

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

All naysayers aside, this game looks really good.  I don't see any generic level designs.

I like the fact that this game is coming under fire.  Even better when it hits it out of the park.  Bioware knows what its doing as a game company.  Mass Effect 2 and Dragon's Age Origins have reaffirmed my belief in their ability.

Keep at it Bioware!

• fanitafanita Member Posts: 36

I love the music in this video,  if it's an indication of the soundtrack score then I'm going to be impressed. I'm a bit of a music nerd though and I know a lot of people play with all sounds turned off  :[

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Wow, the environments, story, and music look really fantastic.  Still no information on just how "open world" its going to be though.  The only thing disappointing to me in that video was the combat.  I really hope it gets worked over and smoothed out, it looked rather bad to me.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095
    Originally posted by ForceQuit

Wow, the environments, story, and music look really fantastic.  Still no information on just how "open world" its going to be though.  The only thing disappointing to me in that video was the combat.  I really hope it gets worked over and smoothed out, it looked rather bad to me.

You do realize that some of the combat footage was actually from the Knights Of The Old Republic and not TOR.

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

Yes, and I was specifically referring to the MMO combat footage, which can also be seen in SW:TORs other dev videos.  I realize its only my opinion, but the combat as of now just looks terrible.  Cheesy, wimpy, clunky.  That said, it's still in development, and I realize it could get much better.  I'm just not sure that it will.

Anyway, the environment artists are doing a heck of a job, and Taris looks fantastic.

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

The game looks amazing. I can't wait for it. I only wish that I could get my hands on it sooner.

• vickter420vickter420 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Kryogenic

The game looks amazing. I can't wait for it. I only wish that I could get my hands on it sooner.

I heard that but I'm kinda sick of MMOs being released before there really ready, I know no MMO can launch without some problems but most recent MMOs feel like they really need another 3-6-one year of polish, bug tweaks, content, END GAME CONTENT!!!!!! Seriously I'm 100% sick of dev teams not adding in some end game when the game FIRST launches so you know that all the leveling, crafting etc. your doing is worth it, what your getting into long term in the game and there will be stuff to do once you hit max level besides rolling another toon or standing around with nothing to do.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by fanita

I love the music in this video,  if it's an indication of the soundtrack score then I'm going to be impressed. I'm a bit of a music nerd though and I know a lot of people play with all sounds turned off  :[

Uh... its the music from the films. If you like the "sound track score" then go to Best Buy and pick them up.... been out for quite some time!

Just like Star Wars Galaxies.... SWTOR developers aren't going to have to spend a SINGLE DOLLAR on music. Because they'll just take from the Six feature films.

Originally posted by ForceQuit

Yes, and I was specifically referring to the MMO combat footage, which can also be seen in SW:TORs other dev videos.  I realize its only my opinion, but the combat as of now just looks terrible.  Cheesy, wimpy, clunky.  That said, it's still in development, and I realize it could get much better.  I'm just not sure that it will.

Anyway, the environment artists are doing a heck of a job, and Taris looks fantastic.

Its typical Bioware Combat. Its going to be precisely the same as Dragon Age's.

• vickter420vickter420 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Uh... its the music from the films. If you like the "sound track score" then go to Best Buy and pick them up.... been out for quite some time!

guess he never watched the movies lol

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Just like Star Wars Galaxies.... SWTOR developers aren't going to have to spend a SINGLE DOLLAR on music. Because they'll just take from the Six feature films.

This is just making stuff up. Below I'm providing a link that's going to prove you wrong. I hope you feel bad about what you've done, go sit in a corner and apologize to all the people you've hurt in your life by making stuff up about them. And yes, that includes Santa, too. 

www.swtorstrategies.com/2009/12/darth-hater-audio-of-star-wars-old.html

"JH: We’ve assembled a team of composers for The Old Republic who are all well-versed in the language of John Williams. Mark Griskey, whose previous Star Wars work includes both KOTOR II and The Force Unleashed, is returning as our lead composer on the project. Joining him are composers Lennie Moore, Gordy Haab, and Wilbert Roget, II. Lennie comes to us with a diverse background in games, TV, and film. Gordy recently worked with us on Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings and Wilbert wrote new music for the recent DLC levels for The Force Unleashed. In addition, we’ve also hired composer Peter McConnell (Grim Fandango, Brütal Legend) to compose 90 minutes of original cantina music for us. We’re deep in the heart of writing material for the game right now and things are sounding fantastic."

See? 90 minutes of original music for just the cantinas.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It's a very similar style to the music in the movies but it's not the same. Just like in KOTOR it was similar but different.

• HiversHivers Member Posts: 12

Combat looks clunky, everything else is a viable release product.

Bravo.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I always wonderd what hapened to that tribe in the undercity you help lead to there promised land in KOTOR 1. Wonder if they survived the attack or not?. Hope we find out.

Originally posted by solarine

This is just making stuff up. Below I'm providing a link that's going to prove you wrong. I hope you feel bad about what you've done, go sit in a corner and apologize to all the people you've hurt in your life by making stuff up about them. And yes, that includes Santa, too. 

"JH: We’ve assembled a team of composers for The Old Republic who are all well-versed in the language of John Williams. Mark Griskey, whose previous Star Wars work includes both KOTOR II and The Force Unleashed, is returning as our lead composer on the project. Joining him are composers Lennie Moore, Gordy Haab, and Wilbert Roget, II. Lennie comes to us with a diverse background in games, TV, and film. Gordy recently worked with us on Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings and Wilbert wrote new music for the recent DLC levels for The Force Unleashed. In addition, we’ve also hired composer Peter McConnell (Grim Fandango, Brütal Legend) to compose 90 minutes of original cantina music for us. We’re deep in the heart of writing material for the game right now and things are sounding fantastic."

I said...... 'THEY DON'T HAVE TO" just like Star Wars Galaxies. If they ARE,  WELL GOOD FOR THEM.

Read. Before you make a rude response to someone's post.

Originally posted by arenasb

It's a very similar style to the music in the movies but it's not the same. Just like in KOTOR it was similar but different.

The music..... IN THIS TRAILER... was, from, the, movies!  With a few snippets from the original KOTOR's tiny amount (of what I felt to be extremely unstar warsy sounding at the time) of music.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

From the interview (more or less): "you're going to have an impact on how the story plays out."

I hate when they make claims like this. This sort of thing is waaaay easier said than done, and I wish they wouldnt say it because, lets face it, its very doubtful players will have any impact on the game's world.

Its very nice and good to be hopeful, but at this point, all I hope for is that this is kotor3 with co-op. then, if it is, I wont be disappointed, and if it turns out to be so much more, I'll be extra pleased =)

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Looking forward to giving this game a try, this game will be under the microscope, it's a huge IP, and I know so many people are over  hyped and have set thier expections so high that no matter how good a game this turns out to be, it will be not be good enough for some or not be what they expected it to be, I have seen this happen in other large IP games, I know Bioware I have played almost all of thier games, I know they make a great stand alone game, this is an mmo, a different animal, I am sure it will be good, I just hope folks have some patients, I am sure like all other mmo's it will have growing pains at launch, it will lack some features.. I know the forums will be hot with debate.. I have been playing mmo's for over 10 years and have seen some wild things in the gaming world.. keeping fingers crossed for this one.. :) I am huge Star Wars fan... Help us Bioware your our only hope...LOL..:)

• WepdesignWepdesign Member Posts: 31

Try like Spring 2011! Wouldnt surprise me it would be delayed even more. This game is sure very hyped and we've seen hyped games before:P

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663
    Originally posted by Wepdesign

Try like Spring 2011! Wouldnt surprise me it would be delayed even more. This game is sure very hyped and we've seen hyped games before:P

I don't care about the hype. I've seen the gameplay, the animation, the voice acting. The game looks good. If you've seen the footage of the game and aren't interested you're a moron , you have no taste for good games, and you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm not directing that at you Wepdesign, but you can't chalk up the excitement for this game on the hype alone. It's easy to see through hype: see Star Trek Online.

Even if The Old Republic turns out to be single player oriented I'll be playing it. Bioware hasn't released a game that I haven't liked. I've purchased everything they've put out for more than a decade.

In that time they haven't released a game that I didn't like. Jade Empire was my least favorite game, but it was still a well done game that is fun to play.

When a football team shows heart and professionalism all season you don't chalk up their success to hype.

Bioware has earned their reputation by releasing quality games with lots of content and polish.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

You'd love Age of Conan then. Best music in an MMO I've yet heard.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by solarine

I said...... 'THEY DON'T HAVE TO" just like Star Wars Galaxies. If they ARE,  WELL GOOD FOR THEM.

Read. Before you make a rude response to someone's post.

Are you joking? That's not even what you've written. No wonder you're not taking time to research a subject before you make wild claims about it, given you don't even read *your own posts*:

You didn't say "They don't have to", you said "They aren't going to have to". A fine nuance there, lending the sentence a different meaning. And right after that you said: "Because they'll just take from the Six feature films." The implication is pretty clear. Don't even try to turn it around. It shouldn't be hard to say you're sorry when you're giving false info to people.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

For the record, the music sounds like it's from KOTOR, not any of the Star wars movies. The KOTOR music sounds very "Star Warsy," but it isn't from any of the movies.