Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Phishing Attempt

Hey Guys,

I'm sure most of you are aware that lately there are a string of account phishing attempts.  I recently received an email which, though very convincing, is still a fraud:

Greetings

An investigation of your World of Warcraft account has found strong evidence that the account in question is being sold or traded. As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with Blizzard's EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here:

WoW -> Legal -> End User License Agreement

and Section 8 of the Terms of Use found here:

WoW -> Legal -> Terms of Use

The investigation will be continued by Blizzard administration to determine the action to be taken against your account. If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account can, and will be suspended/closed/or terminated.

In order to keep this from occurring, you should immediately verify that you are the original owner of the account.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage:

[Mod Edit: Please do not link to phishing sites]

Only Account Administration will be able to assist with account retrieval issues. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Sincerely,

Account Administration

Blizzard Entertainment

Now two things stand out in this supposed "official" email.  A) The fact that the website link is not official since it would be www.worldofwarcraft.com/whatever/whatever...not that long annoyance they ask you to click.  B)  There's no phone number they provide to call.  Blizzard would actually request you call and talk to a real person via phone or through their website mail form.  There are too many links floating about with possible keyloggers attached to them.

I just wanted to share the emails contents with the community so people know what to look for and the fact this is a very convincing yet still a fraudulent email.

-Raven

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."

Comments

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602

The same kind of mail goes around to "check" if you had your WoW magazine - winter edition - shipped to you.

The moment you click on the website you already get 2(!) keyloggers into your system and then the usual stuff of entering your account information.

Actually since I have this junk e-mail rule, it was the first phising mail to slip by in a long period (months).

2 friends also received the mail, both ordered the magazine in EU. Because of the long delays before shipment of that magazine I guess some people fell into the trap.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• skullquakerskullquaker Member UncommonPosts: 311

yes ive few of them  funny thing is  i changed  my email months ago   ive all ways  made  a point of  just deleteing any mail from blizz  . and just got to the main site to  check on stuff like that

• linrenlinren Member Posts: 578

Truthfully the word "Greetings" would be enough to make me suspicious....

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

Am I the only one who never gets phishing mail, or any mail related to WoW what-so-ever?

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein