Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO at Night

Comments

• Some people really think this isn't going to be exploited by some? I don't mean to be rude, but what are you basing that on? How can you be sure that it can't be manipulated?

And while a night time is interesting in theory, shouldn't the lag, all the bugs and the absence of mobs be addressed first before thinking about introducing a day/night circle? Wouldn't it be logical to first fix the things you have instead of adding new stuff?

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by reijan

Some people really think this isn't going to be exploited by some?

These games will always be exploited by someone, but the individuals coming to these forums and discussing it are not likely them... nor do they likely know anything about them. Their discussion on how easy it is, and how it happens everywhere are not my focus because I believe they are wrong, but because i believe they are insulting.

Individuals spend a lot of time getting some of this stuff to work in an MMO, or even in areas outside of gaming... and to claim how "easy" it is not only shows their ignorance of the subject, but also that they use it as a crutch for their argument against this game.

People who exploit/crack openly are banned. People who do it silently get caught by the logs eventually.

and the Individuals who claim they've done it easily are like matches in the wind.

They might even be able to do repeatedly, but usually it's to obtain the awe and admiration of individuals who are not capable of doing it themselves. Rarely do they even amount to much more than that.

The modern MMO isn't exploit free, it's designed to log, and alert when exploited.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by LiquidWolf These games will always be exploited by someone, but the individuals coming to these forums and discussing it are not likely them... nor do they likely know anything about them.

But surely anyone with a working knowledge of client-server interaction can see why it's a bad idea to keep so much of the game mechanics on the client's side? The point is that the client can upload anything it likes and the server won't know any better. Hence teleportation, speed hacks and the like. The client side of the game is literally lying to the server and saying "yeah, i'm currently 40 foot in the air".

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239
    Originally posted by LiquidWolf

The modern MMO isn't exploit free, it's designed to log, and alert when exploited.

MO doesn't even do that.

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by reijan

And while a night time is interesting in theory, shouldn't the lag, all the bugs and the absence of mobs be addressed first before thinking about introducing a day/night circle? Wouldn't it be logical to first fix the things you have instead of adding new stuff?

One would think.   

I win!!! LOL@U

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please stay on topic.

• RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192

The so called "light sources" don't even really provide light. If you are carrying a torch, yes you see better, but the is no dynamic lighting. The guy standing beside you does not get any benefit from your torch. He just sees a bright floating ball surrounded by blackness. Campfires give you a campfire graphic with no shed light.

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by Raknar

The so called "light sources" don't even really provide light. If you are carrying a torch, yes you see better, but the is no dynamic lighting. The guy standing beside you does not get any benefit from your torch. He just sees a bright floating ball surrounded by blackness. Campfires give you a campfire graphic with no shed light.

Not yet they don't but they will, this is just the first very early pass at a day/night system. They know they have a long way to go before it's complete..

• krowxxviikrowxxvii Member Posts: 177

This game is so hardcore, your sense of vision is removed and you are expected to play the game blind. MO = hardcore

Any game that doesn't make you blind at night is carebear...

You can't use the tools if you don't know they exist...
    http://www.ic3.gov - Internet Crime Complaint Center - Report cyber crimes to the FBI.

http://www.spamcop.net - SpamCop.net - Report spam and scam emails.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/ - Network Solutions WHOIS - Investigate and reveal suspcious websites.

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669
    Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

Originally posted by parrotpholk

I find humor in the fact they are going for realism but have magic in the game.  The darkness is way way to dark and borderline stupid.  

Remember, playing the darkness is uber realistic!  Just use your imagination and you will be fine!

just wondering,since you are not fine with it,why you even try without imagination.

Generation P

Originally posted by Balkin31

They know they have a long way to go before it's complete..

Just like every other system in the game. 

I win!!! LOL@U

• jaspr180jaspr180 Member Posts: 96

Been playing for around 5 hours today.   Lots of stuff still quirky or broken but this mechanic really rocks.  I cant wait to see it fleshed out.       Most of the people ive been talking to in game have really been digging the nighttime even with its deficiencies.. 

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

The day/night cycle is a great step in the right direction. Keep in mind this is the initial 'release' of it, their is still much more work to be done. The dev's started a thread on the MO forums asking for feedback and have gotten some really good constructive criticism. Some examples would be for other peoples torches to light the area for you as well, more torches and/or other lighting in towns, being able to see the towns ambience from a distance, and more colors added into the sunrises and sunsets.

What Starvault will do with this feedback remains to be seen, but so far everyone is enjoying the change quite well.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• A step in the right direction? I ask again, why do you not first want the lag fixed, more mobs added, the floating mobs fixed, the game made more resilient to hack attacks, the errors many are getting when it tries to patch fixed, have the npcs actually walk around or even do anything instead of standing there like mindless zombies, fix the armor durability, make it more easy for newbies to learn the basics, heck, some skill books and starter weapons don't even show up for me! Why not first fix or at least polish the fighting system? There are so many issues that have to be addressed before adding a night/day circle. But yeah, it is definitely a step into the right direction...but only after they are sure they made it at least relatively immune to hacks or cheating and after they fixed all the things that are currently broken. They keep adding system that sound cool in theory...but what do I get from seeing a pitch-black night when the lag doesn't even allow me to play more than ten minutes? (And no, it's not my computer, I just bought a new one). Well, I guess, Starvault is too holy to do anything wrong or need any resemblance of  a plan...

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

I was referring more to immersion than to some of the bugs that are still predominant in the game. But yes, I too still crash every couple of hours and it does get annoying, especially when your heading back into town full of items in your inventory, trying to watch out for theives. Also, when farming domestic pigs earlier many were still glitched and would hit me without even facing me, definitely still bugged.

BUT, Starvault did make it perfectly clear that this Beta would not be a 'final polish' type Beta folks are use to seeing recently. If these problems are fixed within the timeframe of the Beta than kudos to Starvault. But if they are still prevelant when the game actually launches than they can kiss their subs goodbye.

As far as immersion into the game, and what this particular forum thread is about, than yes, I think this is a great step in the right direction.

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• Originally posted by KiDBlaiR

MO at night is great.. its actually dark out ... who woulda thought.. for the people complaining  go run outside at 12:30 at night in the woods tell me what u see with no light you cry baby ****'s ur just scared of *pkers* and getting ur shit stolen if you dont like it go back to ur wonderfull world of warcraft scrubs... no other game has done this and its pretty amazing nothing like getting into char..

Yes, I am just not hardcore enough. Curse me for not seeing the immersion of playing a game with a completely black screen, where you can see nothing at all. I am a crybaby for finding a very dark night where you can see badly, but at least something, is better than a black screen.

Now let us fall down on our knees and pray to Starvault for giving us yet anther masterfully-done feature

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Reminds me of EQ day one when I was running around on a human with a fire beetle eye for a light source in EC

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305

If they just started people out with a backround kit that included a torch for all of the kits, they'd be golden. Imagine logging into the game for the first time, and all you see is.....nothing. That's not going to win many people over. They'll just try to move around and get frustrated with not being able to see anything, and log out. Some might even not want to give the game another try because of a potentially horrible first impression that night cycle can give someone. Starting people out with torches eliminates that. And as I've said before, a starter kit based around every individual backrounds strengths would help new players out tremendously. Start them out with all the tools their particular backround uses, and let them go off and do their thing when they log in. If they happen to log in at night, they have their trusty starting torch to get them to the nearest town, or wherever they wish to go first. *shrugs* I dunno, to me starting people off with a light source when the night is that dark, just makes too much sense to me. Like it would be a no brainer for the devs, yet here we are. The more times I log into the beta, for the 5-10 minutes my patience lasts with how frustrating that games problems are, the more I wonder exactly what these guys are thinking when they do things.

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

Wow, it is very interesting! Thanks for showing us that!

But wouldn't the moon in the sky in the first video bring more light to the surroundings? If it did, it could bring a very interesting mechanic to the game: pay attention to the moon phases and plan a night journey in full moons.

And didn't the torch bring more light than it was supposed to? It was like "turning world lights on"... The last scene in Fabernun would be the ideal ilumination range for me.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Not yet they don't but they will, this is just the first very early pass at a day/night system. They know they have a long way to go before it's complete..

So MO really is still in Alpha.  Not a problem.  But please devs, don't release the game anytime soon.  Please!

• JarnaJarna Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by indiramourn

So MO really is still in Alpha.  Not a problem.  But please devs, don't release the game anytime soon.  Please!

U really think devs are readin these forums to get feedback?? LOL

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242

I don't understand why they released a "very early pass" when they could have just worked on it a bit longer and released something that works properly. There's no point in us testing something like that because it's going to be completely overhauled regardless of our feedback.

This is what a lot of people mean when they say this game is still in alpha, at this stage of development (assuming they intend to plough on with a Q1 release) they should be applying the final layer of polish, not introducing very early drafts of stuff.

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272
    Originally posted by Neoptolemus

I don't understand why they released a "very early pass" when they could have just worked on it a bit longer and released something that works properly. There's no point in us testing something like that because it's going to be completely overhauled regardless of our feedback.

This is what a lot of people mean when they say this game is still in alpha, at this stage of development (assuming they intend to plough on with a Q1 release) they should be applying the final layer of polish, not introducing very early drafts of stuff.

Trying to explain logic to people that are enamoured with the game regardless of how bad it actually is, is a losing battle.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

I have truly enjoyed reading this thread.  It has proven 1 thing to me - there are people who will praise this game no matter what happens and there are people who will bash this game no matter what happens. 

In regard to the darkness issue: this game is supposed to be about realism, now you know why long ago people stayed inside during the dark hours - that's realism.  Of course if I wanted only realism I wouldn't play games I would just live my real life with no fantasy atttached.  I don't want total realism in my games, but that's me, those of you who do go and play MO and huddle in your homes when it is dark. lol.

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by elderotter

I have truly enjoyed reading this thread.  It has proven 1 thing to me - there are people who will praise this game no matter what happens and there are people who will bash this game no matter what happens. 
    In regard to the darkness issue: this game is supposed to be about realism, now you know why long ago people stayed inside during the dark hours - that's realism.  Of course if I wanted only realism I wouldn't play games I would just live my real life with no fantasy atttached.  I don't want total realism in my games, but that's me, those of you who do go and play MO and huddle in your homes when it is dark. lol.

true but if you are talking realism if you walk around in the dark your eyesight will adjust to where you can see something not as good as an animal but something silohettes something especially when the moon is out and in MO the moon has been out and very big and impressive but yet I am left in totaly pitch black surroundings to the point I just log off