Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC 2?

brett7018brett7018 Member UncommonPosts: 181

Ok, with all of the new games coming out, I was prompted to post this with a poll. I hope someone at EA Mythic reads this and gets a hint.

I mean, there are games out now with only a few races or a few classes, no decent pvp, no decent pve (or it is a grind-fest). What is going on? Where are the creators of the early days?

OMG look at DAoC for a moment. Three realms (the KEY to why pvp, or rvr succeeded), numerous races and a TON of classes. Combine that with decent pve, decent crafting, player housing, guilds and alliances, and awesome pvp and you have a winner!

Now, I would LOVE to see all of the same elements in an updated version of the game (or one similar). Updated graphics, updated engine, updated servers and a new community.

Who is with me?

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The one thing that made it great was community (Realm Pride) and I highly doubt we'll ever see that again with today's MMO players - even in DAoC2. I'd still play it, though.

• BlakeImageBlakeImage Member Posts: 7

I'd re-sub to the original DAoC it was that fun...

ONLY if it was classic though.. ToA ruined it for me...

• AmorienAmorien Member Posts: 142

The reason this game was a amazing was the, MASSIVE RvR Scale , Huge Class Selection , and the Realms.

I personally think the rivalry between the 3 realms was a huge Drive for the Game the Epic boss fights, Like Spending half an hour to drop a Dragon 80 Man style, just to get a full respec stone that you might not even win , the housing system was also a blast i mean dude showcasing my Stuffed heads all over my house was awesome. Oh and dont forget the INSANE amount of Armor and weapons in the Game. there just had to be an impossible amount.

But the best of all was the community. i Broke into the mmorpg with this game i played it for years and i love it even still.

Hibernia for life. Ethlodeadh Human Ranger.

p.s , i wrote this at 4:30 am.

• DarwynFOURDarwynFOUR Member Posts: 55

After WAR, no thanks. 

• ryanpoodryanpood Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by BlakeImage

I'd re-sub to the original DAoC it was that fun...
    ONLY if it was classic though.. ToA ruined it for me...

+2 on this post! ^^ It happened to me as well...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

As soon as those developers make DAoC 2 just a little different then DAoC original, half the fanbase starts screaming..

And if they make it exactly the same, the other half starts screeming...

There is absolutely no place for Upgrades from MMO's....   Smart MMO's keep people p[layign and make graphics upgrades and upgrades to the lower levels of the game., changing the leveling area's just enough to keep that fresh feeling for years to come...

Look at EQ2, it never got the feeling of EQ...  AC2, even worse, ... UO2... the developers realised it and quit, Lineage 2 never got the player numbers of the orriginal lineage...

Never redo an MMO, people want something new and fresh.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

Dont make another DAoC2, fix the original one.

• TaldrenTaldren Member Posts: 4

I loved everything in DAoC other than the caster interrupt system. If they make a new DAoC they need to normalize melee and spellcasting mechanics.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I was definitley disappointed that WAR was not DAoC 2, but was instead a steaming pile of poo.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

the only way I'd play DaoC 2 would be if the IP was sold to some other company.

Mythic....heh, talk about SoE....those guys have the inverse midas touch.

not touching anything made by Mythic with a ten foot pole ever again.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Mythic, like many others, are a one hit wonder. No thank you.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by arcdevil

the only way I'd play DaoC 2 would be if the IP was sold to some other company.
    Mythic....heh, talk about SoE....those guys have the inverse midas touch.

not touching anything made by Mythic with a ten foot pole ever again.

I don't care who makes it as long as it's fun. Why would I care if it's Mythic, or joe the plumber, or aliens from the planet Zenon? Either it's fun or it's not, regardless of who the developer is.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I see the Myth of " Realm Pride " has infected these forums too.. It didnt exist. Maybe it was there at the beginning but once rewards for RvR went in it was " How can I gain the most RPs ". What was there was the attachment to keeps that guilds had.. That was something to defend but when it came to the realm.. People could care less about each other.

Of the 4 years I played ( from release on - Mythic fanboy long before DAoC saw the light of day ) I never witnessed anything close to realm pride. 90% of the players could care less about who had the relics as it made very little difference.

DAoC 2? Only if the PvE was there.. PvP doesnt offer enough depth to carry a game ( see WAR ). DAoC had good enough PvE to keep people occupied in areas like Stonehenge and the like. Despite popular belief DAoC wasnt a pvp rvr centric game and it was never meant to be. People made that up long after DAoC left its prime to try and hold up a myth that they created in their minds about how great the game was. The sad part is that Mythic actually believed it and thats why they fell short with WAR ( terrible world design and terrible PvE will kill a game ).

• InEccessInEccess Member UncommonPosts: 111

I would definately play DAoC2. It's PvP (or RvRvR) system is what I reference all PVP experiences back too. Purposeful PVP (Realm bonus from controlling Relics, opening Darkness Falls), rewards for PVPing (renown rank), diversity in the same class (shadow-zerker vs. assassin in midgard), and most importantly, a PVE game separate from PVP. The Crafted weapons {in the beginning) were better than the looted gear, so crafters MENT somethign in this game. Siege weapons could be set up anywhere (not just on disks in front of a keep). The first DAoC was perfect until ToA. This being the common complaint about the game should show that PVE Raiding is not needed for endgame experience.

*That last sentence is largely important to myself. I had to leave WoW back in (january) of 05 because raiding places like BRD and BRS took longer than I had to game. 1 hour in a raid is pointless, where as 1 hour in the battlegrounds in DAoC was enough to satisfy my need to play at endgame.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

DAoC had /face, /stick and /follow commands you could use on enemies.

Lame.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• GreenieGreenie Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

I see the Myth of " Realm Pride " has infected these forums too.. It didnt exist. Maybe it was there at the beginning but once rewards for RvR went in it was " How can I gain the most RPs ". What was there was the attachment to keeps that guilds had.. That was something to defend but when it came to the realm.. People could care less about each other.Of the 4 years I played ( from release on - Mythic fanboy long before DAoC saw the light of day ) I never witnessed anything close to realm pride. 90% of the players could care less about who had the relics as it made very little difference.
    DAoC 2? Only if the PvE was there.. PvP doesnt offer enough depth to carry a game ( see WAR ). DAoC had good enough PvE to keep people occupied in areas like Stonehenge and the like. Despite popular belief DAoC wasnt a pvp rvr centric game and it was never meant to be. People made that up long after DAoC left its prime to try and hold up a myth that they created in their minds about how great the game was. The sad part is that Mythic actually believed it and thats why they fell short with WAR ( terrible world design and terrible PvE will kill a game ).

After ToA, yes the selfish mentatlity came more in to play about RPS. Hell it had too due to the introduction of OP"d artifacts and ML"s at the time. WIth ToA mythic introduced the same "I gotta have it all"  and "Greed before need" mentality that WoW did.

My original server did have a large degree of realm pride. Once the global call to mobilize came to defend our frontier you could go out to DL or DC and see everyone forming groups for the battle. Even during the SI days. I'm sorry your server didn't experience that, but don't say realm pride didn't exist.

Also, the relics made a huge difference, especially the power. An extra 10-20% on all magic (heals included) was very helpful, or in case you didn't have them, hurtful.

The problem with WAR goes way beyond what your are insinuating. WAR had way too much pve and item need to be a pvp centric game. WAR's PvP (city sieges) were a PVE zone. Land of the dead is a pve zone. Scenarios are not RvR but a glorified matchplay. None of those things are what Mythic advertised to it's customers. Mass CC and every class having it.  WaR had many failures and none of them were DaoC's fault.

Originally posted by uquipu

Lame.

I think the opposite. These are the elements that made combat fun.

RPG combat should be about your character skills, FPS is about your keyboard skills.

I like both, but if you turn all RPGs into FPS games, you lose variety. Why would you want EVERY game to be a First Person Shooter?

If you like fPS games go play some. I'm playing Borderlands now. It's a lot of fun. But would I want to turn DAoC in to Borderlands? No.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

Agreed. What made DaOC was the fun group oriented PvE. AND when you tired of PvE, you could go to the frontier and PvP. AND when you tired of PvP, you could go do some really fun PvE. AND....

Well, you get the picture. It makes for a good game to have BOTH, and no new games ahve accomplished that lately.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Lame.

You can't /face, /follow or /stick to an enemy in WoW.  God, could you imagine the outcry if Blizzard tried to implement /face /follow or /stick to an enemy?

/sticking to your enemy is just one step short of staying in your faction city, picking your enemy of a drop down list and smashing buttons.  All without ever seeing him.

Maneuver is a big part of combat, imo.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

I'd definetly play it, hell i'd play daoc if they would improve the gameplay and some of the animations alone.

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Lame.

You can't /face, /follow or /stick to an enemy in WoW.  God, could you imagine the outcry if Blizzard tried to implement /face /follow or /stick to an enemy?

/sticking to your enemy is just one step short of staying in your faction city, picking your enemy of a drop down list and smashing buttons.  All without ever seeing him.

Maneuver is a big part of combat, imo.

Well, I'm glad you enjoy WoW. I'm sure more games lke WoW will be made for you to play.

I'd like ot play another game similar to DAoC.

Did you play it? /stick and /face allow you to concentrate on your abilities, instead of your mouse and keyboard skills to run around like a chicken wiht it's head cut off.

Again, I do like FPS games, but I also like RPG games. I see no need to turn one into the other, since BOTH are fun to play.

I suggest Bad Company 2. Not only do they not have face or stick, they have eliminated crouch so you can't camp and you need to get your butt out there and fight.

http://badcompany2.ea.com/

But when I get tired of playing an FPS, I like to play an RPG where it's all about my character, not all about my l33t mouse and keyboard skilz.

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175

Lame.

Yeah it would be better without those and with better realm balance (in skills and numbers). I miss daoc, it was my first mmo too so everything has to compare with it too!

Originally posted by Spiritraiser

Lame.

Yeah it would be better without those and with better realm balance (in skills and numbers). I miss daoc, it was my first mmo too so everything has to compare with it too!

What I would change is the ability to communicate between realms. It was really lame that the idea of 3 factions was the two weakest could gang up on the strongest, but you couldn't talk to one anohter. Allies that can't communicate, what a great idea! Are you really THAT afraid of some trash talking? You can always /ignore

And what would be ultimate is hte ability to create your own realm.

You start a guild, and when you meet certain conditions, you get a  Gate that enters into your very own "realm" complete with PvE, dungeons, etc. You compete for territory in the "Frontier" to ad to your realm, but you can't get ganked in your realm.

You can ally with other realms, and if you lose your realm, you go back to one of the three stock realms in the game controlled by NPC's.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,737

I played on Mordred, and we could communicate with every player, and if DAOC 2 was ever made I'd hope they'd rethink the restriction of communicating with your opponents.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Kyleran

I played on Mordred, and we could communicate with every player, and if DAOC 2 was ever made I'd hope they'd rethink the restriction of communicating with your opponents.

if the lore doesn't call for it, there is absolutely no reason for the game to allow you to talk to the enemy , most games don't

and if you want your norseman to be able to cyber the cute lurikeen , ya you could goto mordred haha

the QQ tells on that server were amazing

It has nothing to do with "lore" it has to do with not dealing with complaints about trash talking.

/service ticket

he called my mom a whore! I want him banned! x 8,000,000 per day.

In Star Trek, and Star Wars, where they go to different planets everyone talks to everyone.

You're seriosly saying you can put on a necklace that lets you travel to a different planet, but you can't put on a necklace that lets you talk to someone on that planet? What kind of magic is that?

It was done specifically to limit "greifing" but like I said there is the /ignore button for that.

And we all know what happed. Guilds went on other websites that were server specific to coordinate attacks, and people use third party voice chat or MSN.

I just think it's retarded that you worry so much about trash talk. Yes, people will kill you, and yes they will call you bad names. Big deal, get over it, and learn to use /ignore if you can't take it.  

And players from different realms could ally to attack ta third, so you weren't ALWAYS enemies.