Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO at Night

Comments

• RaknarRaknar Member Posts: 192

The best part is, just like the hit boxes, darkness is determined client side. You can simply turn off the day/night cycle with a hack and have an advantage over everyone. Heck, you don't even need to hack, just log in and out until night breaks on its own and you have full time day.

• VaedurVaedur Member Posts: 430

Adjust the gama in your monitor if you don't like it.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Originally posted by Raknar

The best part is, just like the hit boxes, darkness is determined client side. You can simply turn off the day/night cycle with a hack and have an advantage over everyone.

Nahhh.. that won't happen.  The MO community is the best I have ever seen.  They would never abuse functionality like that!  Have faith in SV!  All is going according to plan!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• rlmccoy1987rlmccoy1987 Member Posts: 1,722
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188 

Nahhh.. that won't happen.  The MO community is the best I have ever seen.  They would never abuse functionality like that!  Have faith in SV!  All is going according to plan!

Everytime I read one of your posts, I actually laugh out loud... LOL!

The best part is, just like the hit boxes, darkness is determined client side. You can simply turn off the day/night cycle with a hack and have an advantage over everyone.

Good thing the community is so trustworthy. Otherwise, their might be people hitting for way more than max damage, or hiding underground, or flying.

Good thing the community is so trustworthy. Otherwise, their might be people hitting for way more than max damage, or hiding underground, or flying.

They are trustworthy!  They are hardcore, they will play by the rules!

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Galadourn

no night is perfectly pitch black, unless there is full cloud cover. In fact, on a clear night sky you can see well enough  to walk around due to starlight (even more so if there is a moon).

Lighting needs a fix, seriously.

This. 

On a clear night sky with full moon,  you can see quite clearly actually. So they really need to address this, but I doubt they will be able to play with the lighting that much.. Imagine if you could wait for some clouds to pass before the moon to move out of cover unseen,etc. That would be pretty nice and realistic.

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

This is going to be really neat for a day or two.

Then people will want to actually play the game. Well in the case of MO, maybe not. Perfect idea.

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Then people will want to actually play the game. Well in the case of MO, maybe not. Perfect idea.

This.  lol

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Are you suggesting that some people might not enjoy logging into a pitch dark gameworld that will stay like that for 3hours and 12 minutes?  And that once the darkness hits your playtime window it will stay like that for days while it cycles through?

Don't you remember playing ultima 3 when you would enter a forest and you could only see 1 tile in each direction?  MO is taking us back to those days of wonderous discovery!

Seriously though... i think they may have fixed the FPS issues.  If you client only has to draw blakness on your screen it can do so at 200FPS instead of 12 when it's day and you can see something.  These guys just keep thinking outside the box.  Have faith!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Member CommonPosts: 516

The best part is, just like the hit boxes, darkness is determined client side. You can simply turn off the day/night cycle with a hack and have an advantage over everyone. Heck, you don't even need to hack, just log in and out until night breaks on its own and you have full time day.

Now that is intriguing... tell me more.

I'm unfamiliar with day/night cycle control being client side, but I do realize that most of drawing/shading/lighting is done on client side like most other MMO's. I suppose if you found a way to set a certain level of lighting on your client, regardless of what the server wanted... it could work.

It sounds simple enough... right?

If you have more information on this, please post it... I would certainly like to know more. It would also make a good bug report.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/35949-please-sv-stop-updating.html#post750882

Originally posted by LiquidWolf

I'm unfamiliar with day/night cycle control being client side, but I do realize that most of drawing/shading/lighting is done on client side like most other MMO's. I suppose if you found a way to set a certain level of lighting on your client, regardless of what the server wanted... it could work.

If you have more information on this, please post it... I would certainly like to know more. It would also make a good bug report.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/35949-please-sv-stop-updating.html#post750882

Yes, Day/Night cycles are client side.  Look at this note from the devs:

* The day/night cycle fails to initiate on some client log ins. Relog fixes it.

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

Yes, Day/Night cycles are client side.  Look at this note from the devs:

* The day/night cycle fails to initiate on some client log ins. Relog fixes it. 

I saw that report and figured it meant you are either stuck in Day... or stuck in Night... which is most certainly a reported bug right now.

My interest is in the control of the day/night cycle, and the phrase: "You can simply turn off the day/night cycle with a hack and have an advantage over everyone."

Emphasis on simply...

Honestly? "With a hack" ?

I'll begin the same way my college professor did to begin his lectures... "Alright script-kiddies,"

This individual's Fear of "hackers" seems to have caused him to bring up the idea that hacking any game is "simple", or even better, not checked... informal fallacies like this really hold no place in discussion and only perpetuate ignorance and fear.

It's like you are looking at the black forest and wondering how many giants are waiting in there to eat you.

I don't know for sure day/night is controlled by the client. I was infering that from the evidence. Having seen posts by people saying they had the client running on two PCs side by side and the day/night cycle was out of sync between the two. Then the fact that logging in and out can break the day/night cycle. Added to is this the amount of other stuff that we DO know is controlled client side. It isn't much of a stretch to conclude from all the evidence that day and night are determined by the client.

Originally posted by parrotpholk 
    Thats easy. There is nothing realistic about fantasy thus the term fantasy. However if you were roleplaying Helen Keller then I suppose a pitch black night would be perfect and you might have an advantage. Its not about bashing either its about practical game design and this is not practical.

This doesn't look awesome to you?  That is so hardcore and realistic!  Keep the faith in Starvault!

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

Helen Keller didnt have a torch that made her see all of a sudden.

I have just been trolled.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Toquio3

A mmo where the night is actually dark. That looks pretty good actually.

I agree.  I don't have a problem with this.  But can't people just turn up their Gama setting to get around the pitch dark at night?

Originally posted by indiramourn

I agree.  I don't have a problem with this.  But can't people just turn up their Gama setting to get around the pitch dark at night?

It's able to be manipulated client side.. so people will be running around in full daylight while you are walking in the dark with 1 hand holding a torch instead of a shield...

And believe me... there is a REASON other games don't have pitchblack night.  It's not because they can;t do it... it's because the vast majority of players get over the novelty real fast and then it starts to become an annoyance which you have to put up with for 3hrs and 12minutes until the cycle changes.  Imagine logging in all week to play for a few hours and almost all of it was in total pitchblack darkness....

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288

It's Dark. You're likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Originally posted by indiramourn

It's able to be manipulated client side.. so people will be running around in full daylight while you are walking in the dark with 1 hand holding a torch instead of a shield... 

Even after the previous discussion about mis-information...

You have no clue what you are talking about when you discuss client-side manipulation of an MMORPG and how to gain an "advantage" over other players.

If you are referring to the current bug about logging in and having the cycle stuck, well then the only thing we can hope for is that people don't attempt to intentionally break a game that does file checking.... until that gets patched.

• NeoptolemusNeoptolemus Member Posts: 242
    This individual's Fear of "hackers" seems to have caused him to bring up the idea that hacking any game is "simple", or even better, not checked... informal fallacies like this really hold no place in discussion and only perpetuate ignorance and fear.
    It's like you are looking at the black forest and wondering how many giants are waiting in there to eat you.

It would be naive in the extreme to think that people won't exploit the hell out of this. There isn't a game in existence that doesn't have people using cheats and exploits and all it takes is one or two such people to ruin the experience for many, at least for an hour or so while they fly into the air and kill you from under the floor. Why then would you want to make it easy for people to cheat in your game?

Orginally posted by LiquidWolf

You have no clue what you are talking about when you discuss client-side manipulation of an MMORPG and how to gain an "advantage" over other players.
    If you are referring to the current bug about logging in and having the cycle stuck, well then the only thing we can hope for is that people don't attempt to intentionally break a game that does file checking.... until that gets patched.

Even after my discussion about your misinformation....

It IS possible to adjust your client to only show daylight... CONFIRMED and seen with my own eyes.  Please stop stating your opinion as fact and calling other people liars.

I am going to DisneyWorld in 10 minutes... the place where Dreams Come True... maybe I will find some of the SV staff there looking for some pixie-dust...

I am sure that by the time I return you will have seen the light (so to speak) about the day/night cycle manipulation.  Until then.. try not to let the Grue eat you.

It IS possible to adjust your client to only show daylight... CONFIRMED and seen with my own eyes.  Please stop stating your opinion as fact and calling other people liars.

Did you capitalize confirmed to try and make your statement louder?

It isn't confirmed, all you have is a bug which appears when you log and out a few times... which isn't an ability to adjust it... just a lucky chance.

Show me what you know, don't tell me you know it.

It isn't confirmed, all you have is a bug which appears when you log and out a few times... which isn't an ability to adjust it... just a lucky chance.

I am sure it would be impossible to show you anything through the blinders you are wearing. The games is terribly easy to hack. The lictors were possessed by a player and were made to Spam crap and to insta-kill whole towns. People can hide beneath the world, can hit with melee weapons from far off, can manipulate the hit detection so they never miss, and can adjust the damage of their weapons. There were also speed hacks and infinite stamina hacks. After all that, why is a daylight hack so hard to believe?

I know you previously posted about reading a whole message before responding...  if you read my WHOLE statement it says:

It IS possible to adjust your client to only show daylight... CONFIRMED and seen with my own eyes

Meaning that I have seen it with my own eyes... NOT a bug.. but the ability to turn darkness on and off at will.

Enjoy.. I am on my way to Disney..