Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sentinel Fate is 40$ but you need to add 15$ to play ?

Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Hi guys, firstly not a troll post, just a question.  Last time i played EQ2 was like a year ago, i have all the expansions on my account.  Now i see this new one, they are selling it for 40$ and it comes with a free month only for new accounts, so if i'm interested in buying it, i'll need add another 15$ over that to buy a one month sub ?

Comments

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

If you buy it for an existing account, you won't receive the free month.

I purchased the full Everquest pack on a new Sony account, because it was five dollars on Steam this past Christmas, and they required a credit card before I could even get the free month. For a new account, I think you just need a card on file, you don't have to keep the subscription going past the first month.

• napalmswebnapalmsweb Member UncommonPosts: 150

Im in the exact same position as the OP. I haven't played EQ2 in about 6m and if I want SF, I will have to pay 55 bucks (40 + 15 sub fee) and that seems really excessive. I seem to remember a previous expansion offer that said if you resubbed, you could get the expansion for free.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I agree. I was thinking about resubbing having not played for a year or so, but I think it's too expensive. Maybe I'll just sub to my old account for a month and not by the expansion. My character is only around level 40. Is there much content for that kind of character in the new expansion anyway?

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

If you wait a while the price will drop, if you are a subscriber already you are in the exact same situation so you aren't "hard done by" any more than existing players.

You should perhaps send SoE some constructive feedback on this, make a suggestion that anyone that has been a customer in the past gets 7 days free gametime or something, the 30 days of time for new customers only is a pretty standard thing for the sub based games, though they have "come back" incentives with free game time.

Of course you could get the 30 days free time on a NEW account, so you do have a choice.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

What my wife and i did was before we even think about SF expansion, we are doing the 15 dollars monthly first ...

Second, a few years ago before the echos of faydark they only released the expansion for 40 dollars, now this also includes all expansions up to the current one ... for those of you who have all the expansions it is not an issue for my wife and i we are getting the previous expansion and the new one for 40 dollars ... so really getting 2 for the price of one.

best regards,

Dmyankee

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

It usually works this way with SOE... well and with most expansion with most mmorpgs, buying the expansion usually doesn't give a free month. The good part is it gives all the previous expansions too.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Mahlo

I agree. I was thinking about resubbing having not played for a year or so, but I think it's too expensive. Maybe I'll just sub to my old account for a month and not by the expansion. My character is only around level 40. Is there much content for that kind of character in the new expansion anyway?

I dont think there is much to do for a level 40, you may very well dont buy it until you are higher, by this time the expansion cost may be lower.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Hi guys, firstly not a troll post, just a question.  Last time i played EQ2 was like a year ago, i have all the expansions on my account.  Now i see this new one, they are selling it for 40$ and it comes with a free month only for new accounts, so if i'm interested in buying it, i'll need add another 15$ over that to buy a one month sub ?

Yes. Just like every other game has done throughout time. You should really get over it.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Ok thanks guys, i just think 55$ to come back to this game is just WAY too expensive.  If they had given a free month to new AND inactive accounts i would have probably bought the expansion, but i'm not paying 15$ over that 40$ just to be able to log.   

I can understand not giving a free month to actual subscribers, but why denied former players a chance to get back to the game ?  It's like saying, new players are welcome, old one's well pay 15$ more.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Ok thanks guys, i just think 55$ to come back to this game is just WAY too expensive.  If they had given a free month to new AND inactive accounts i would have probably bought the expansion, but i'm not paying 15$ over that 40$ just to be able to log.   
    I can understand not giving a free month to actual subscribers, but why denied former players a chance to get back to the game ?  It's like saying, new players are welcome, old one's well pay 15$ more.

Aguitha, its fine if you don't want to come back for that reason but I really have to ask you... what game in existence does what you are wanting this one to do? No game offers a free month to former subscribers when a new expansion comes out. It would be like a hotel offering a free stay weeks stay to former guests just because the hotel did a renovation. The hotel would lose a huge amount of money after spending alot of money to upgrade it.

It would be the height of stupidity. 

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

I mean really?!! It's not like SOE is here to try and rob you. Just like any other game out there, say like Lotro and WoW. They release a expansion for $20-$40. Then your still expected to pay the monthly, to be able to play the game. Then just like every sub based MMO, they always give a free month for *NEW* players. 

If you hadn't been living under a rock, you would also know SOE is always at one point of time... giving out free month's of play time to it's ex player base for whatever game, to try and win them back. I can understand you not wanting to fork over $55 for one game, but get some common sense.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i baught the collector edition and there was all the frill of the new account thingy it depend what version you buy!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

It's weird, this expansion was out 3 weeks early in my Fred Meyers by my house for 60 dollars. Someone screwed up. Is it really only 40 everywhere else?

collector edition is 79 $ca in the ebgame local store!was there on the 16 of feb.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712
    Originally posted by Moirae

Aguitha, its fine if you don't want to come back for that reason but I really have to ask you... what game in existence does what you are wanting this one to do? No game offers a free month to former subscribers when a new expansion comes out. It would be like a hotel offering a free stay weeks stay to former guests just because the hotel did a renovation. The hotel would lose a huge amount of money after spending alot of money to upgrade it.

It would be the height of stupidity. 

didnt wotlk have a 30 day free code when you added it?

my friend got his added to his account and he got 30 days

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

No mmorpg give a free month for old account with xpacs, none...so why would this be any different?

i don't get why this confuses so many people >_<

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Some of the EQ2 expansions has been SPECIAL bacause they offer the complete package of EQ2, hence it's just like when you first bought EQ2 and has a free month included..

Most expansions for other games do NOT offer the entire previous content, rather just the expansion..

EQ2 did this aswell before, then there was no 30 days included for new players either..I'm not certain, but If you check the SOE digital download store maybe you can buy "just the expansion" abit cheaper than the "complete package deal"..

Ohh well..

/junker

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

It's not $55 just to log in.  It's $15.   It's $40 extra to play the new expansion, which is what everyone else paid.

New expansion has nothing for level 40 players.  Not a single thing.  

That being said, if I was planning to play long term and wanted to save money, I would just buy the new expansion and start a new account.  The free month you get is more than long enough to get your 40 levels back. AND you'll have all the expacs and add-ons.  All for $40.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

i dont know me for my collector the 30 day was included,i provided a credit card and they ll bill me next month the 15 $for next month  thing

dont know how it is for regular copy tho and i dont know for digital system they might offer diff deal that werent avail in ebgame local store you ll have to ask around it look like there were diff deal !

• DelamekoDelameko Member Posts: 200

What I'd do is install the game from the latest discs you have, update, and then try and log in.

If you've been gone a year you might have free time on your account that you just need to log in to activate.