Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Monsters of Maine Blog Uncovered

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

A new ARG (Alternate Reality Game) has been uncovered by fans following Funcom's upcoming horror-themed MMOG The Secret World. The blog was discovered by fans who were following a Twitter conversation between four fictional characters from the previously unveiled town of Kingsmouth.

The fictional character Tyler Freeborn aka Cryptoinvestigator runs the blog, which focuses on uncovering the cryptozoological and occult events taking place on Solomon Island.

You can read more at the "Monsters of Maine" blog.

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Yup.

The ARGs and the community is surprisingly good for this game. I am just hoping Funcom will live up to it and starts releasing actually fully developed games.

Third time lucky... or maybe they finally saw this nearly 10 yo cartoon?

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

lol, wow that's great.

I just added this bit to my personal e-mail signature. My poor friends won't know what the heck is going on...

The Pale Men will return. Not today, not tomorrow - but soon. I can FEEL them. I can smell them.

They smell of brine and corruption, of the deep dark sea and of death, ancient restless death.

The Pale Men are coming back and they will bring the poisoned mist with them, just as they did before,

but this time there will be no protection, this time we won't be spared a watery grave by rituals and "good medicine".

This time they will drag us down, down, down into the black ocean where we will endure in cold pain and endless darkness for all eternity.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

God I really hope Funcom doesn't blow this one like they did AoC.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

People love a good mystery, Funcom knows what they are doing. To me it seems they are taking all the best of Horror (Movies, Games,etc.) and turning it into a MMORPG now tell me is that a unique concept or what??

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'm real hyped about TSW but trying to remain sceptical, it that possible? Hopefully they keep this going right up until release and it might disway a lot of the usual trolling.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Very cool, I really like how FunCom is handling this so far.

Lets hope they do the IP justice and produce an entertaining, engaging and challenging title for us all to enjoy. TSW has mounds of potential that I would rather not see wasted.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I want to play this game right now please...

"The evidence

For those who don't believe me. For those who laugh at me... I have the evidence. And I will put it right here, where the world can see and judge for itself.

Soon."

Maybe a new video SoonTM?

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• bubu_3kbubu_3k Member UncommonPosts: 108

If FC doesn't know to hype a game, nobody does :))

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by bubu_3k

What else have they hyped, besides breasts and gore in Conan?

• AmbushMartyrAmbushMartyr Member Posts: 69

While the hype machine churns out what appears to be pretty damn good reading for the most part, I hope FC is churning out a game that will not only amaze but put to rest that indeed originality isnt dead in the MMO industry!

But time will tell and Im not getting any of my hopes up, yet. They want my money they will have to bring solid, solid gameplay and mechanics that keep me interested for a long time to come, and a finished polished product at launch. Otherwise, Im not gonna bother.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

What I think a lot of people are missing about this game by repeatedly saying "FunCom this" and "FunCom" that, is that they have given Ragnar Tournquist a LOT of control over this project. Gamers who are unfamiliar with him, don't recognize all of this story and plot development as being PURELY Tournquist style. This stuff has jack shit to do with FunCom and their "ability" to hype a game. It has VERY much to do with having a MASTER storyteller at the helm.

Another  thing....this is not a "horror" MMO. I have seen that stated over and over. it's much MORE than that. It is horror, survival, conspiracies, urban legends, and ancient mysteries ALL ROLLED INTO ONE. This is not "Resident Evil the MMO," trust. And while FunCom may be footing the bill, or the company that is backing the footing OF the bill via other contributors (possibly in addition to their own finances), it's the development team with Ragnar at the helm that is MAKING this game what it will be. Sure....they are restricted to working within the FunCom framework, but....I don't think that will limit this group of people here. They are ALL ABOUT epic storytelling and immersion.

I am reticent to allow myself to get overly excited about MMOs after what we've all experienced in the past 5 years, however.....IF there has ever been a title worthy of my expectations.....I do think this is the one. Having said that.....I still will wait with CAUTIOUS anticipation. Cautious because, as everyone says....it IS FunCom here. However....expectant and a bit excited....because it IS Ragnar Tournquist here. He is a HUGE Lovecraft fan, and conspiracy buff, and I think we will FINALLY see something that is, at the very LEAST.....

UNIQUE.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

FunCom, just please... seriously please, do not allow Erling Ellingsen to talk about TSW ever. His work on AoC's PR -campaign will never ever be forgotten or forgiven. Let Ragnar tell everything and keep the hype-machine low for now.

If you're going to over-hype your game, expect the same fate as AoC suffered.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

I wonder if they intend to maintain these external sites post release, kind of like how majestic was more than just the game but integrated web/IM/fax/phone.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by therain93

I wonder if they intend to maintain these external sites post release, kind of like how majestic was more than just the game but integrated web/IM/fax/phone.

I played Majestic and that game was FUN. It got terrible reviews, and..... I enjoyed it completely and thoroughly.

There was nothing in gaming quite as exciting as getting a phone call at 2 am from a frantic sounding woman begging for help. That game just absolutely blew me away the way it crossed over into your real life with the game story line and the characters needing your help.

For those of you that missed it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_%28video_game%29

It was really great for me playing it, because I was single at the time, so it was VERY immersive. There were no "disclaimers" on the phone calls from them, or hints that it was "the game" messaging me on Instant Messenger or email, etc. I loved the hell outta this game, and was very sad to see the idea go no further in future games.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Not getting caught in the hype train from funcom again. If they release and its not a fully instanced snore fest like AoC was then I might look at it. I love horror games. I know WoD will be good but remain forever skeptical when it comes to funcom. Be nice if it was good though.

AoC wasnt what i would call fully instanced GW was and from what im hearing SWTOR will be too

WoD(from alot I hear World of teenage girl twilight fans)being good remains as much to be seen as TSW does

• KrilsterKrilster Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by alucard3000

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Not getting caught in the hype train from funcom again. If they release and its not a fully instanced snore fest like AoC was then I might look at it. I love horror games. I know WoD will be good but remain forever skeptical when it comes to funcom. Be nice if it was good though.

AoC wasnt what i would call fully instanced GW was and from what im hearing SWTOR will be too

WoD(from alot I hear World of teenage girl twilight fans)being good remains as much to be seen as TSW does

No one actually knows how SWTOR will be (Except for Bioware's SWTOR employee's obviously), anyone else that says something is just speculating.

As for TSW, hopefully Funcom decided against heavy instancing this time and decided to go with a more open world. We can hope. :)

• bubu_3kbubu_3k Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Originally posted by therain93

Originally posted by bubu_3k

What else have they hyped, besides breasts and gore in Conan?

Anarchy Online...FC has 2 mmos under its belt both with failed launches...both great games (actually AoC on the way there)...but they could have been much more if they had not lost that many players due to their launches

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

The more I see about this game the more interesting it looks. Just hope funcom does not drop the ball on this one.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I must say I like the way they make websites like it was something real, like about this village... whatever it was called. Quite cool. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414
    Originally posted by Elikal

I must say I like the way they make websites like it was something real, like about this village... whatever it was called. Quite cool. XD

kingsmouth which is derived from innsmouth from some lovecraft book and I forget the other

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Originally posted by girlgeek

What I think a lot of people are missing about this game by repeatedly saying "FunCom this" and "FunCom" that, is that they have given Ragnar Tournquist a LOT of control over this project. Gamers who are unfamiliar with him, don't recognize all of this story and plot development as being PURELY Tournquist style. This stuff has jack shit to do with FunCom and their "ability" to hype a game. It has VERY much to do with having a MASTER storyteller at the helm.

Another  thing....this is not a "horror" MMO. I have seen that stated over and over. it's much MORE than that. It is horror, survival, conspiracies, urban legends, and ancient mysteries ALL ROLLED INTO ONE. This is not "Resident Evil the MMO," trust. And while FunCom may be footing the bill, or the company that is backing the footing OF the bill via other contributors (possibly in addition to their own finances), it's the development team with Ragnar at the helm that is MAKING this game what it will be. Sure....they are restricted to working within the FunCom framework, but....I don't think that will limit this group of people here. They are ALL ABOUT epic storytelling and immersion.

I am reticent to allow myself to get overly excited about MMOs after what we've all experienced in the past 5 years, however.....IF there has ever been a title worthy of my expectations.....I do think this is the one. Having said that.....I still will wait with CAUTIOUS anticipation. Cautious because, as everyone says....it IS FunCom here. However....expectant and a bit excited....because it IS Ragnar Tournquist here. He is a HUGE Lovecraft fan, and conspiracy buff, and I think we will FINALLY see something that is, at the very LEAST.....

UNIQUE.

Reposting your post because people are still posting  " hope Funcom doesn't frack this up" posts 

Maybe they will read it the second time around.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

The more they unviel in form of hidden websties/blogs/mysteries and puzzles to solve the more im scared that the promo campaign will actually be best part of gameplay about TSW. Dont get me wrong, its awesome idea to get community to do something actually prior to release instead just moaning on forums like bunch of zombies , but they better work  ten times as hard ont he game itself so it meets the expectations that they build up with those fancy stories.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Originally posted by alucard3000

Originally posted by Elikal

kingsmouth which is derived from innsmouth from some lovecraft book and I forget the other

Some people say it's a cross between Innsmouth and Steven King, but I tend to think it's simply a cross between Innsmouth and another Lovecraft country town called Kingsport, Mass.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004