Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon has a chance at F2P now...

DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46

Since Allods essentially shot itself in the foot with the release of it's item shop ($20 USD 6 slot bag upgrade) along with the patch that makes the game unplayable unless you sink tons of money into it (mob damage has gone up 200%, dying now puts you in hell for 2 hours and you need to spend 75 cents on perfume to leave before your 2 hours is up)... Alganon has a chance to swoop in and come out smelling like Roses.

To David Allen -- you have been given a gift on a silver platter, now don't go making your item shop cost the same as Allods because you assume that is the "future" of item shop pricing. Reasonable, cosmetic and minor combat applications (like a 50% exp increase scroll) will win the day here.

Almighty Dollar 1, MMORPG.com members 0!
Blog

Comments

• crimsonmidcrimsonmid Member Posts: 140

Did Alganon go F2P? i missed some episodes here :) Anyways, its true that Allods shot itself in the foot and with those rumors going around about various aspects of the game are driving people away from it (me included). I will give it a chance until they launch the CS in the EU. I doubt it will be different but....hope dies last. Its sad though cause Allods is really a good game. Dunno what the fuck is going on in the heads of those devs (or managers).

My brain has 2 sides;Left and right. My left side has nothing right and my right side has nothing left...

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

What a depressing choice, Allods or Alganon...

There are very many games out there, most of them a lot better than either of those.

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

Yeah, now that it's F2P and Allods seems to have shot itself in the foot, I might consider one day maybe playing Alganon a little now, but there are still so many better games out there, so even then it is unlikely. I admit, I'm still hoping that gPotato and AstrumNival will see how ridiculous they're being and make their item shop and death penalties more reasonable, but I don't expect them to.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• mtbsickridermtbsickrider Member Posts: 58

when did it go f2p? looking at website, is the trial server the same? would like more info 

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

if/when they start sharing 12slot bags for free and begins to sell 14slot bags for 20€ ,even then people will cry .

Generation P

Let's be quite clear, Alganon is not f2p, the suggestion was wishful thinking on the OP's part.

However, the game is proving so successful that not only has the dev dropped the purchase price by 50% and the monthly sub by 30%, but he's claiming that so as not to over-populate the servers more than can be supported only a few keys will be released each month. So that explains its poor showing then!

I have to hand it to David Allen. After being kicked off Horizons he obviously found out what stuff David Bowman was on and got plenty in for himself. He is an absolute master at dressing up reality.

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

It's not Free too play yet. But all the posts that I have read on the their forums are pointing in that direction. But unless you are a subscriber you will not see most of those.

We will see what happens come March 1 when "big" changes are coming.

Wait and see.....

Take care

• DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Shadewalker

Let's be quite clear, Alganon is not f2p, the suggestion was wishful thinking on the OP's part.

Perhaps you need to do a bit more research into the subject sir:

www.alganon.com/forums/index.php

"As you have probably already seen elsewhere on the site, The new subscription-free pricing model that Alganon is adopting introduces the concept of Tribute." - bquackenbush * Client Developer  * Pip  * Group: QOL Staff  * Posts: 17 * Joined: 06-May 09

Perhaps it's wishful thinking that you know what is going on before you type?

Blog

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288
    Originally posted by Darzin

"As you have probably already seen elsewhere on the site, The new subscription-free pricing model that Alganon is adopting introduces the concept of Tribute." - bquackenbush * Client Developer  * Pip  * Group: QOL Staff  * Posts: 17 * Joined: 06-May 09

Alganon should've been free to play right from the start. The game just isn't good enough for a Pay-to-play plan and I feel sorry for the people who subscribed to the game.

• DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Esther-Chan

Alganon should've been free to play right from the start. The game just isn't good enough for a Pay-to-play plan and I feel sorry for the people who subscribed to the game.

No doubt it wasn't, but is it good enough to survive against the other Subscription-Free games? (I like this phrase better than F2P) Some offer the same thing -- like Runes of Magic, some offer something similar with a different system of play  DDO, some offer the same style in a different setting Allods Online (if they fix their Cash Cow Shop pricing), some offer completely different play styles and settings. Most of them offer a lot more polish and content. So it has to be wondered... is it even possible to compete on this level?

I hope so, but something tells me Runes of Magic and DDO (Perfect World as well) along with games like Aika and Allods may vaporize any chance that Alganon might have had at the Sub-Free level.

Blog

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I will tell you guys something for the future.Don't go off praising VERY mediocre efforts like ALLODS or Alganon,it tells the dev that you guys are in love with the game,so they figure they can charge crazy item mall prices.Instead ask for more,tell them game is very average[truth]then they will be hesitant to jack up those prices.I saw the same thing happen in ROM,there was a ton of players at start,then item mall prices were insane,when i left the game is was near empty,night time it was empty.

It has long been accepted that charging for gimmicks is ok,but if you try to charge more than a P2P game,by making game play suffer w/o using item mall,then players will not accept it.

What bothers me is that these cheap games cost literally nothing to operate on very low bandwidth,so they can rely on very few customers that are crazy spenders.The problem for F2P is that these games are so weak,people are ONLY there because hey are free,so Alganon is not going to do any better using a F2P model.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288

No doubt it wasn't, but is it good enough to survive against the other Subscription-Free games? (I like this phrase better than F2P) Some offer the same thing -- like Runes of Magic, some offer something similar with a different system of play  DDO, some offer the same style in a different setting Allods Online (if they fix their Cash Cow Shop pricing), some offer completely different play styles and settings. Most of them offer a lot more polish and content. So it has to be wondered... is it even possible to compete on this level?

I hope so, but something tells me Runes of Magic and DDO (Perfect World as well) along with games like Aika and Allods may vaporize any chance that Alganon might have had at the Sub-Free level.

I was thinking the same thing. Compared to Allods and Runes of Magic, this game looks dated. Heck, even Perfect World has better graphics and it is a lot older than this. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not big on graphics, but when your character models look worse than World of Warcraft, then you need to consider working on higher polygon models. I'm incredibly shallow when it comes to my character and if I can't make her pretty, then I quit the game =P.

Allods is very similar to this game, offers a much better degree of character customization and has a much larger degree of classes and races. This game feels like a Facebook game, especially since they glorify their whole "community" features.

Actually, I spoke the exact truth when I said that Alganon is not free to play, and I did so based on research. I checked the website and found that it costs $19.95 to buy and $9.95 to subscribe on a monthly basis. There is no indication on the website of any change in that, other than to say that the present discounted terms are short-term only, the implication being that the prices will go back up again, and  your link is to an obscure forum post in which a garbled announcement is made in corrupted message board code which no-one at least in the early replies (I didn't look further) knew anything about or could make sense of. My understanding of that announcement, however, is that you will still have to buy the game with only the monthly play being free, so in that sense it isn't strictly a f2p game even when this change comes in.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

agreed

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

Actually, I spoke the exact truth when I said that Alganon is not free to play, and I did so based on research. I checked the website and found that it costs $19.95 to buy and $9.95 to subscribe on a monthly basis. There is no indication on the website of any change in that, other than to say that the present discounted terms are short-term only, the implication being that the prices will go back up again, and  your link is to an obscure forum post in which a garbled announcement is made in corrupted message board code which no-one at least in the early replies (I didn't look further) knew anything about or could make sense of. My understanding of that announcement, however, is that you will still have to buy the game with only the monthly play being free, so in that sense it isn't strictly a f2p game even when this change comes in.

i think ill stick yo guild wars lol

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Well your wish has been granted apparently and it isn't as pretty as it may have seemed.