Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XI: Report: Shutting Down This Year?

Comments

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
  • and_reaand_rea Member Posts: 20

About chances, SE has made up an expectation so high that a launch in 2011 will be most unlikely.

About the rest I read in upper posts, maybe "shutting down" was intended for any further new development after launch of XIV, and some special title or vanity item or "startup boost" armor/weapon/whatever may be a good reward to all loyal XI subscribers who will do the transfer, but I am OT right now.

Cheers^^

• RogueShadowRogueShadow Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Erhun

SE already stated in a newsletter that they won't be shutting down ffxi because ffxiv is being released. They said this themselves a few months back.

And SE has never recanted?

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Kost

Originally posted by Oyjord

It's a game.  It's not a family, it's not a job, it's nothing more than a game (and a sub-par one at that *yawn*).  Many players leave after playing MMOs for years, hell, most have!  Just look at EQ1's, UO's, or DAoC's current subs.  FFXI will go the way of the dodo just like those.

I didn't claim it was any of those things, I simply stated an accurate observation regarding players of the game.

Considering it has already outlasted every other game you have listed, I'm inclined to disagree.

not to mention UO STILL has players, at one point you just don't quit

• XelloXello Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Kost

Originally posted by fanita

It makes sense to shut down final fantasy 11 at the launch of 14, I mean who is going to stay behind and play 11? I suppose a few might but not enough to keep it profitable.

I've never met anyone who had played for any substantial amount of time and would just up and quit for another game.

Allow me to introduce myself then, I accomplished pretty much everything there is to do in this game in the space of 1.5 years (multiple 75 jobs, all missions / quests (yes all 500+ of them) expansions, and well i would be here all day listing every area of this game you can spend time in but suffice to say i did it all (8000+ hour play time, yes i no-life'd it) and i had no qualms uninstalling it when i was done and the time came to move on. I don't get the whole 'you quit XI, what MMO did you move to?' idea either, i played no MMOs before or after XI personally.

I also disagree with your comment that veteran players who still play will feel a need to keep their accounts, as i understand it (friends still play) the general feeling in most servers is that people can't wait for XIV to be released as they are tired of the game.

About the original topic though, of course they aren't going to shut down XI as soon as XIV is released, it'll go on for a while yet.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Posting internet rumors as news now?

I can't believe MMORPG would be so irresponsible. Do you care about the ramifications this report will have on current subscribers? Would you continue to invest time in a game that is closing soon?

If your report is true, kudos for breaking it. I'm not sure that its ethicly the right thing to make this publc. I think SE has a right to make this known, and you should have approached them first. If they refused to respond, then weigh your choices.

If your report is false you just caused a lot of undue grief for players and SE, and possibly set yourself up for a lawsuit.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Originally posted by Oyjord

Originally posted by Kost  I've never met anyone who had played for any substantial amount of time and would just up and quit for another game.
    FFXI players are some of the most loyal, dedicated players around.

It's a game.  It's not a family, it's not a job, it's nothing more than a game (and a sub-par one at that *yawn*).  Many players leave after playing MMOs for years, hell, most have!  Just look at EQ1's, UO's, or DAoC's current subs.  FFXI will go the way of the dodo just like those.

regardless of what you think about the game, i think Kost has a point. SE has done a great job keeping subs. they have a huge playerbase ( 2 million last i heard) and the fans love it. No matter if its your cup of tea or not, there are people out there who have goals set in that game they havent reached yet, and probably will stay to play until its done. I do however think that the guys in ffxi that have done it all, will probabaly be the first to jump over to ffxiv if its there cup of tea. There is still alot to be announced about this game! So if they end up liking it, i can see them jumping over for a fresh new challenge

• SmatthewsSmatthews Member Posts: 67

They have already stated many times that they will not close FFXI in the near future.  it still has more subs then most of the mmos out there.  plenty ffxi players have said that they will stick with ffxi even after ffxiv is out.  it still makes money, so why would the shut it down?

• Dave08Dave08 Member UncommonPosts: 67

Allow me to introduce myself then, I accomplished pretty much everything there is to do in this game in the space of 1.5 years (multiple 75 jobs, all missions / quests (yes all 500+ of them) expansions, and well i would be here all day listing every area of this game you can spend time in but suffice to say i did it all (8000+ hour play time, yes i no-life'd it) and i had no qualms uninstalling it when i was done and the time came to move on. I don't get the whole 'you quit XI, what MMO did you move to?' idea either, i played no MMOs before or after XI personally.
    I also disagree with your comment that veteran players who still play will feel a need to keep their accounts, as i understand it (friends still play) the general feeling in most servers is that people can't wait for XIV to be released as they are tired of the game.
    About the original topic though, of course they aren't going to shut down XI as soon as XIV is released, it'll go on for a while yet.

I've played since 2003.  I have many 75 jobs, many friends, and I still love and enjoy the game.  You said you didn't quit to go to another game.  You were just done because you apparently had all the time in the world to play.   I have a family, a job, friends, etc, so  I'm not done.  My friends are pretty much like me.  Casual but reliable.

My friends talk about trying FFXIV as do I, but we don't want to lose FFXI.  We still enjoy it.   I'm curious about the 1.5 years you played and did 'everything'.   There are still expansions/missions being added.  New and different quests and opportunities, things like Nyzul, Einherjar, synergy, etc. 

Just because you're done, doesn't mean everyone is.   When FFXIV was first announced, it was more exciting than it has been recently.  For the most part, the people I know are happy/content playing FFXI, not anxiously awaiting FFXIV at all. 

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

From a business perspective....this doesn't make any sense, and therefore, my conclusion is....it's simply GOSSIP.

Think of it this way....

Do you think Blizzard would "shut down" WoW because they have a new MMO coming out?  Seriously.  If you had a functioning cash cow, would you kill it so that you could "force" (hahahahahaha....as IF) gamers to play your NEWER game?  No.  That's just fucking stupid. First of all, you have NO assurance that people will move on to the new game. Some people don't have the newer technology to PLAY the new game, you're going to piss off a LOT of people that have invested years of time, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

It makes MUCH more business sense to let the "conversion" be a natural thing. SOME people will leave and come to the new game, others will stay with the older game, SOME.....will sub to BOTH, and some "new blood" will enter the scene with the new release.

Honestly....I can't believe anyone would buy a rumor like this. It's utterly ridiculous on every level. FFXI will "shut down" when, and ONLY when, there are not enough subscribers to support the daily running OF the game itself, and not before then. Same as with WoW, EQ (original flavor), UO, etc. You don't "shut down" things that are paying for themselves and making a profit....ANY profit.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Originally posted by girlgeek

Do you think Blizzard would "shut down" WoW because they have a new MMO coming out?  Seriously.  If you had a functioning cash cow, would you kill it so that you could "force" (hahahahahaha....as IF) gamers to play your NEWER game?  No.  That's just fucking stupid. First of all, you have NO assurance that people will move on to the new game. Some people don't have the newer technology to PLAY the new game, you're going to piss off a LOT of people that have invested years of time, etc., etc., ad infinitum.
     It makes MUCH more business sense to let the "conversion" be a natural thing. SOME people will leave and come to the new game, others will stay with the older game, SOME.....will sub to BOTH, and some "new blood" will enter the scene with the new release.
     Honestly....I can't believe anyone would buy a rumor like this. It's utterly ridiculous on every level.

But lets look at past history shall we.  Not that we have many examples, but by an large, every attempt to create a sequel has pretty much tanked.  EQ 2 never reached the heights of EQ 1.  AC2, well, we know how that turned out.  UO2....never got off the ground.

In every case, the original games were left alone, and all sequels failed. Is there a relationships? Perhaps. 

It might very well make sense to shut down the original game to help ensure the success of the new one. Since FFXIV will have game play quite a bit differently than anywhere else, players would be faced with a choice, play FFXIV or play a WOW clone.

I'm betting they'll stick with FFXIV no matter how much they dislike changing games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

SE said it won't be shutting down.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Kyleran

But lets look at past history shall we.  Not that we have many examples, but by an large, every attempt to create a sequel has pretty much tanked.  EQ 2 never reached the heights of EQ 1.  AC2, well, we know how that turned out.  UO2....never got off the ground.

In every case, the original games were left alone, and all sequels failed. Is there a relationships? Perhaps.

EQ2 had serious performance problems when it was realised ,even high-end systems were having trouble (It is still  cpu bound more than everything else )  .AC2 i have no idea  i did not watch  it but people still complain from  client problems/constant nerfs and broken core .Blaming sequels for failure is wrong i think ,blame half-baked products.

On-topic : There is no way this rumour is true .

Im sure alot of you cant imagine how many people playing mmos on old hardware and/or notebooks .You can bet there will a lot of players happy with FF11 and dont want to upgrade for FF14 .They can keep FF11 just for this group and can be still profitable

• EffedupEffedup Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by jagd1

Im sure alot of you cant imagine how many people playing mmos on old hardware and/or notebooks .You can bet there will a lot of players happy with FF11 and dont want to upgrade for FF14 .They can keep FF11 just for this group and can be still profitable

I'm sure there are a ton of people playing FFXI on older hardware that either can't or won't upgrade to play FFXIV.  I know peeps that are playing on linux boxes under WINE.  From what I'm told LOTS of JP players are playing on the PS2 to this day.  Unless, of course, that's just the excuse so S-E doesn't have to do any graphical updates to the game, but I digress...

I know a lot of hardcore players that are ready to just move on, that much is a given, but what they're moving on to isn't necessarily going to be FFXIV.  WoW will always be the elephant in the room as far as MMO's go, that much is certain, but there are plenty of other MMO's out there that are not FFXIV.  Aion, for instance.  Star Wars: The Old Republic.  Hell, I know people that quit for EvE.  I if S-E thinks that the bulk of FFXI subscribers are automatically gonna move to FFXIV they're mistaken.  People aren't playing FFXI to hold them over until the new MMO comes out, at least, nobody I really talk to is.  People are playing FFXI because they genuinely like the game and have the investment of years in it, not because they don't have anything better to do.

Anywho, I'm honestly a little skeptical of FFXIV myself.  I want a realistic free trial first and foremost.  They've been really tight lipped with actual in game content, and the stuff I have seen honestly didn't impress me much (the clip I saw where they were fighting giant chickens or whatever, looks like FFXII more then anything).  But you know what bothers me most of all?  The fact that it is launching on the 360 and PS3 as well.  I don't know for sure if they're planning to have cross-platform interaction like they did with FFXI, but if they DO, then they're really retarded.  I know I'm heartily sick of the excuse that S-E can't improve this, that, or the other thing because of "PS2 LIMITATIONS", and if they build FFXIV with the same inherent problems I'm not even gonna waste my time at all.  I want a game that will give me YEARS of content and scale according to the power of modern computers without having to play around with registry files and use third party tools.  I know the JP's are all about their consoles, and that's cool, but let them play on a PS3 server and deal with their own crap, I don't want their hardware limitations making my game look like a bag of S--T 2 years down the road.

• mike4fantasymike4fantasy Member UncommonPosts: 16

If they consider to shut down. I expect them to making offline game similar to Phantasy Star Universe. I'm very disppoint in this game due people are selfish not help CoP and Zilart. They too much focus on Dyna, in game and farming many more. It's disguise. What the waste of time. I love Final Fantasy series. I pray hard if they reconsider to have offline game beside online. I would buy!~

I just close account last night and decide to await new FFXIV much better than FFXI.

• EffedupEffedup Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by mike4fantasy

If they consider to shut down. I expect them to making offline game similar to Phantasy Star Universe. I'm very disppoint in this game due people are selfish not help CoP and Zilart. They too much focus on Dyna, in game and farming many more. It's disguise. What the waste of time. I love Final Fantasy series. I pray hard if they reconsider to have offline game beside online. I would buy!~

I just close account last night and decide to await new FFXIV much better than FFXI.

Well, you gotta understand, Mike, FFXI has been out since 2002.  CoP was released as an expansion in fall of 2004, almost six years ago.  Any game, as time goes on, starts getting more and more skewed towards endgame as the population starts getting more established.  Although some shells are more lenient then others, most are pretty hard core and have high expectations.  When you have a 6 day per week schedule of end game events (Dynamis, Einherjar, Nyzul, Farming Sky, Farming Sea, HNM's) you don't really get a lot of side time to do other things.  It's why I haven't really gotten into the endgame stuff yet, even though I have multiple 75's.  Sure, I may not have the uber gear from those events, but I'm happy meriting in Campaign and camping NM's.

I don't begrudge people for not wanting to do the Promy's for the 80000th time for a new LS member, but S-E really needs to either merge the servers so that there's some new blood to do it with or relax the restrictions on that stuff, like the level caps.  I know people that had to do it the hard way may bitch, but seriously, anyone that's ever shouted for a Promy run anytime recently knows that the crap IS getting ridiculous.  I spent 6 hours shouting once as 4/6 and didn't get anybody, and all we needed was DD's, ANYONE could have come.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by DCUOFAN

I loved FFXI, played it since '04 and when WoW came out i tried that but didn't enjoy as much as FFXI.
    truly sad to see it go, the story and the places stuck with me. met alot of great people playing FFXI.

I do not think there is any reason to be sad since the likely hood of a company closing down a game that is making them profit is very unlikely.  Now if FFXIV comes out and so many people leave that they are losing money by keeping the servers open then it will shut down.  As long as it keeps enough subscribers to keep turning a profit it is pretty much a given that the game will continue to be supported.

• AthkoreAthkore Member Posts: 55

Hey, I know! Let's make a report that WoW is shutting down!

/sarc

• NicksirenNicksiren Member Posts: 37

This rumour is not only absolutely false, but also mildly hilarious. SE have stated multiple times that they will NOT be shutting FFXI down simply "because of FFXIV". Leave it to a site like this to jump at rumours such as this without showing both sides of the story. If anyone believes this, they need a serious lesson in using their head and learning how to do research. And by research, I mean look at any recent statement by Tanaka or anyone else on the Dev team have stated regarding the current and future state of FFXI when speaking about FFXIV. Google is your friend.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Thank God, I never liked FFXI the game was horribly dated even when it first came out. Dont get me wrong it had good features, but it was completely inaccessible to most people because of the horrible login/download interface.

Wouldn't "thank God" just yet.

FFXI isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Not sorry to disappoint you.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Originally posted by braingame007

FFXI will not be shut down this year most likely, but I give it a 2 more year life cycle after FFXIV comes out and proves to be the major success it planned to be. FFXI is dying rapidly, Remora used to be a very high populated server, last time I was there I stood in town and didn't see a shout for over 10 minutes, then got a few shouts and then another 10 minutes passed by in silence, on a weekend night in Whitegate. That is unheard of, there are only a few servers that are really still kicking it, honestly I would say there is probably only about 30,000 subscribers, and when FFXIV comes out that number will drop a good 50% +

Remora isn't one of the most populated servers to begin with. I moved my character there for a short time and then went back to my home server - but not because of the population. On Pandemonium, on a weeknight, before the "crossover" between US and JP playtimes, Whitegate is non-stop shouts for mission runs, Dynamis groups, Nyzul Isle, Assault runs, Linkshells, etc. etc. etc. As of right now (I'm in-game) a /sea all returns 1190 people online - that's about the same as it's been for at least the  past few years. That's during a weeknight. It's significantly higher on the weekends.

I actually had to find alternate spots on my lowbie job to level last night because the starting areas are over-camped by new people coming to the game. No exaggeration.

That said...

Would you like to share with us where you get the "probably only about 30,000 subscribers" from? Or did you pull that out of the same place the whole "FFXI being shut down" rumor came from?

As recent last year, SE reported about ~500k active subscribers in FFXI. So, by your figuring, they dropped 470k subscribers since then?

Really?

I ask again.. What the hell is wrong with people?

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

Originally posted by Esther-Chan

Originally posted by Rover64dd

I say leave a server up and let them manage their own. They shouldnt get any head start or advantage. A free month wouldnt be opposable

Moving all your support from FFXI to FFEleventiybillion just makes more sense. You got a huge crew of talented developers and shutting down the game completely may make a lot of long time players upset, but it makes a lot of sense. Though, I suppose it is like saying you should shut down Everquest because Everquest II came out.

It's actually a very, very bad idea. Many EQ1 players resent that a EQII even exists, much less would they play it. Ask some AC1 fans what they thought of AC2. And so on.

Think about it...

Many of the so-called "AAA" titles to come out in the past few years, with all the flashy graphics and "casual-friendly", "accessible gameplay" and all that have found themselves leveling off at around 150-200k players... Some have had to merge servers only a few months out from launch.

FFXI - after 8 years - still has in the ballpark of 500k players. SE still has yet to merge servers and sits at 34 (corrected). SE still is adding content. Still creating new in-game events. Still holding live events (Fan Fest 2010 - a FFXI-centric event - is coming up this week, I believe). There is a huge, and very active community surrounding FFXI. And so forth.

That's not me being a "fanboy". That's fact.

Why in the hell would you shut something like that down, especially when you're telling people that your new MMO is going to cater more to a different segment of players?

I think some people get so caught up and giddy with the idea of seeing a major title "fail", that they completely fail to stop and think about the completely obvious.

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

All game fail, they need to made the standar higther graphic, new idea, and amaze us... We always ask as a human BETTER ! FASTER ! HARDER ! ( u see)

Originally posted by mike4fantasy

The linkshell I'm in are actively helping people complete CoP as well as other "earlier game" content. I've helped several groups through their Promys already and am going to do whatever fights I can help them with. I actually find the fights fun, and enjoy helping people out.

I don't disagree that there are people only concerned about end-game stuff (that's genre-wide pattern), but there are definitely those who are still going through the older content.

• StalinfalconStalinfalcon Member Posts: 77

Hmm, funny how Etra's post back on page 4 got completely lost in the furore... Kost refers to FF11's loyal fanbase; I would alter that to read 'rabidly loyal'. WSIMike notes that FF11 has been 'unshaken by WoW'. FF11 players are some of the hardest-core, rabidly fanatic mmo-ites out there who consider themselves more elite than Saxe-Coburg & Gotha/Windsor; and are more snobbish than those Nouveaux Riches, the Rockefellers and Carnegies, combined.

If Etra has the right of it, then there is no WAY that the FF11 player-base will migrate to a casual-experience FF14. Realise that when WoW first came out, the /sh channels all across Vana'diel were full of scoffing and utter CONTEMPT for what we felt was an imminent failure. So WoW was a brilliant success, in the event. That doesn't change our PEREMPTORY DISMISSAL of such plebeian affairs. Casual is beneath us. When FF14 comes out, I am sure we will accept it with a patronising smile and a regal wave. It is our duty under Noblesse Oblige; but, to actually consort with it by migrating to it and abandoning our Pedigree? I dare say not! For we are the Peers, the Elite, the Royalty.

We are FFXI.

We are Rex.