Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a true RPG to you?

2»

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by pirren

I think that fallout series games are the best RPG. Especially S.P.E.C.I.A.L system..

Any game where i can go do what i want when I want is an rpg. Not some game where you are lead down a yellow brick raod from start to finish. The games let me do things when I want.

(BBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH raises plunger in salute to Fallout series!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by KieraLei

I'm going to have to agree 100% with Bookkeeper.  While you, Maniasol , make very valid points at to what games that are classified as RPGs should entail, to me, that is not real RP.  You are correct in stating that games like Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, and even the Final Fantasy series to be great action/adventure games.  There are "subtle" aspects of role play in them due to a slight "character" developmental aspect, it is not true RP.  As "silly" as this may sound to most, I have been an avided RPer for some years.  What is an avid RPer in my book?  Well, when a person, much like what Bookkeeper said, emerses themself in a world created by players (or a world created for players either or), and not only build a character via appearance, but take on the identity of that character, that world, the culture, etc.  You give life to your character and the part that makes it evenmoreso RP, is that you interact with those around you as your character. Now I'm not saying by any means you are incorrect, I just believe a real RPG is as such.  You have pen n' paper RPGs, you have text based (forums and chats), and somestimes, depending on conditions, you have some virtual based (second life, some groups/individuals in MMOs, etc). While I have found in the past that a true RPG can be played out best in a text setting, without limitations placed by game developers, I will admit that I am a graphics fiend.  While that also means that I may not get to experience my true definition of RP by playing MMOs or other such labeled games. Role playing = you are the character... in essence, much like an actor in a movie, that will last as long as you wish it to, and no boring script to follow.  

This. But then again, I am a veteran purist from the heady days of paper and pencil RPG's.