Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everytime we swear we will not return to wow...

sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

I think I've made this statement 2 or 3 times since WoW has released.  Here's a quick summary of my wow quits and returns.

Began playing at release, Quit shortly after AQ release.

I returned a month or so before TBC released, Quit after getting the arena gear, got bored again.

Returned about a month before WotLK released, Quit about a month after hitting 80 with a DK because it was the same thing as TBC but 10 levels higher.

My point being?  I swore up and down I would never return to WoW.  I hated everything about the game.  The end game is awful in my eyes, it's one long grind to get gear that helps grind better gear.  So why am I thinking about returning to take part in the next expansion?  I have no doubt that this next trip into Azeroth will be a short one, but something is drawing me to grab the expansion and play it again.  Maybe it's that wish to return to Vanilla WoW when everything was new and the game wasn't reduced to bar graphs and data charts to get the best dps.  Either way, I think I'll enjoy the expansion and running through the content once.  I'm just hoping I can do so off the free month that comes with the expansion!

Anyone else have this feeling?

I've been here a while...

Comments

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Quit 2005, tried again 2006....never played after that.

I have never been a warcraft fan to begin with though so :/

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

I've pretty much been doing the same.  I've gone as far as to delete the game from my system and throw away the actual game itself, but then I eventually bought the games again and somehow ended up with three different accounts w hen it was all said and done.  Stopped playing almost a month ago (again) and been playing AoC since so I'm happy at this moment for now.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

There's a lot of people to connect with in WoW. Despite the bad things about the game, the dungeon finder and the battlegrounds and chats, etc. provide entertainment that is lacking in some games, so that's the main reason I sub now and again.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

I haven't had the game installed in over a year, but lately I've been thinking about the times I enjoyed in game.  You forget all the boring times after a while I suppose.

• DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by nyxium

There's a lot of people to connect with in WoW. Despite the bad things about the game, the dungeon finder and the battlegrounds and chats, etc. provide entertainment that is lacking in some games, so that's the main reason I sub now and again.

The only 'chatting' going on is in the /Trade channel which is intended for TRADE only. But rather you get nothing but immature morons spouting off about some BS.

You'd think the idiots over at Blizzard would make a global channel that these losers could run their mouths in.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
  • uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

You can get burned out on anything.

I'm playing fallout 3 and dragon age at the moment.  I'll go back to WoW at some point.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Do you have friends that play WoW,? That was the only reason I played for as long as I did.  My friends got me to move from FFXI to WoW saying it was better, but I would play for a few months and get bored and go back to FFXI because I enjoyed it tons more. But then they would get me to come back again, then I'd try out some new game, and well you get the picture.  I never came back because I just wanted to see what it was like, cuz I already knew what it was going to be like even with the new expansions.

Maybe you deep down like the game but you just can't admit it to yourself, or its just a Love Hate relationship. For example you have played all the old school mmo's and enjoyed them but you played them for years. There are no other good games since then but WoW is the only game that is half way decent but yet you still hate most of the things about the game.  I'm waiting for FFXIV TBH because there are really no games I enjoy that are on the market right now. To much of that  solofest quest grinding gets hella boring with the quickness with me.

Do WoW expansions come with a free month? I don't remember TBC or WOTLK coming with it.  I remember my cousin wanted me to get wrath and to start playing and I didn't feel like shelling out 55 bucks just to quit playing in a month or too. lol

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Originally posted by Dinasty

Originally posted by nyxium

The only 'chatting' going on is in the /Trade channel which is intended for TRADE only. But rather you get nothing but immature morons spouting off about some BS.

You'd think the idiots over at Blizzard would make a global channel that these losers could run their mouths in.

Sometimes, if lucky, the occassional sensible guild talk. The Trade channel must be purged on a biblical level.

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

Trade filter addons like Badboy and sTradefilter made trade TRADE again :)

Anywho yea have done the same, quit WoW back in vanilla and came back 9 months ago and been 50/50 with playing until Cata gets released, although since 3.3 theres a list longer then all the patchnotes this year comming out this past 3 months, WoW looks to be changing more that what 'fixes' Cata brings, 4 years late, but better then never

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Once all of my friends quit playing, I stopped playing. I haven't been back since. It was really more of an online social event for me, I didn't really enjoy the gameplay that much.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Played for 9 months, quit for 3, played 9 months more, been WOW free for over 3 years now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181

Played for just a bit over two years. Last six months or so were just to log in, see who was on maybe do a couple of BG runs and log out. Hence, an account is a terrible thing to waste.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I played it for a while, only because I had friends who played and wanted to play with me.  I hated it the whole time I played and as soon as my friends moved on, I deleted it and have never been even slightly tempted to reinstall it, even though I have an unopened WoW Battle Chest box sitting right next to me.  I could, I just have zero interest and likely never will.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• Andr4599Andr4599 Member Posts: 99

Been playing wow for 5 years, without breaks.

I still love the game.

Originally posted by Andr4599

I still love the game.

Wow (No pun intended), how is that even possible considering you can see all of WoW's content in a month or so?

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

I still love the game.

Wow (No pun intended), how is that even possible considering you can see all of WoW's content in a month or so?

Troll? 

I've been playing for a couple of years and I haven't seen everything.  Especially the high end raid content.  You need to find a good guild.  Something that's not as easy as it sounds.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Originally posted by uquipu

Originally posted by Goatgod76

I still love the game.

Troll? 

I've been playing for a couple of years and I haven't seen everything.  Especially the high end raid content.  You need to find a good guild.  Something that's not as easy as it sounds.

No, not a troll. There are plenty here already.

I was in a good guild, that is probably what killed my drive for playing much longer than 2 years. It allowed me to see everything far too quickly I suppose...made the game dull fast. The month or so comment was more of a haha sort of thing, especially since he stated he has played for 5 years. I didn't even play EQ that long, and it was my first (4 years). It was more so for leveling, in which it IS possible to get to top level in a month...or so.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Actually everyone posting here in this threat has some love or hate relation with WoW..

Nevertheless there is some part of WoW that keeps dragging their attention or they would not have posted in this threath.

Iplay MMO's in the winter currently WOW, but also many others.. i get bored of them (anyone) after some time.. and switch to another one. In the summer time the real world has to many quests to conquer to even think about MMo's but every year in Oktober, when the rai starts to fall, i return to some MMO.

So basically this post counts for MMO's in general.............

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

From my personal experience, I left WoW right after BC for a year and I came back only for one thing...well then two things. First, it was family, my cousin talked me into it and told me how much things changed since Vanilla WoW practically and he was right. WoW has really came a long way and I think many WoW players either don't remember or never even knew it. 40-man raid woes, how about that first pvp rank system? It took like 2-3 players to actually get 1 character to that high level and thats after playing a month+ straight.

Ultimately, I don't think I can ever leave it unless my friends and family leave it. That's what really keeps players in MMO's in my opinion. It's all about the people you're with and who you share your experiences with. If it wasn't for them, it'll just be glorified single player game with really smart AI (maybe some not so smart, but still fun ;) ) party members.

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

Well, I never really got back into WOW. I can see how it is tempting though. I didn't get started until Lich King, but I really just couldn't get into it. I bet the things that bugged me were the same that bother you.

www.ryzom.com

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by sacredcow4

I think I've made this statement 2 or 3 times since WoW has released.  Here's a quick summary of my wow quits and returns.
    Began playing at release, Quit shortly after AQ release.
    I returned a month or so before TBC released, Quit after getting the arena gear, got bored again.
    Returned about a month before WotLK released, Quit about a month after hitting 80 with a DK because it was the same thing as TBC but 10 levels higher.
    My point being?  I swore up and down I would never return to WoW.  I hated everything about the game.  The end game is awful in my eyes, it's one long grind to get gear that helps grind better gear.  So why am I thinking about returning to take part in the next expansion?  I have no doubt that this next trip into Azeroth will be a short one, but something is drawing me to grab the expansion and play it again.  Maybe it's that wish to return to Vanilla WoW when everything was new and the game wasn't reduced to bar graphs and data charts to get the best dps.  Either way, I think I'll enjoy the expansion and running through the content once.  I'm just hoping I can do so off the free month that comes with the expansion!
    Anyone else have this feeling?

There once was a man who lived on a remote farm.  He had an ugly wife and some farm animals.  Once in awhile, he would grow disgusted with his wife and leave her.  And every time he swore, he returned to .... his wife (not the farm animals; didn't sink that low).

Morale of story:  Returning to an ugly wife time and time again does not prove she is beautiful.

WOW is still popular because there just isn't anything thing out there right now.  Watch when FF XIV or EQ Next releases.  In fact, I predict EQ Next will seize the MMO crown and Sony will be on top once again.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

I don't see that being trollish at all.  You could easily see the majority of the content in WoW in one month provided you used one of the numerous guides online to do so.

I don't think anyone here has bashed on wow once.  Just discussing the reasons we quit, which are all valid, and the reasons we return.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Played with friends and got to 60 then quit.  Came back with a different group of friends and got to 70 then quit again.  Last time I played I got to 80, raided a bit and got disgusted with the community.  This time I wasn't playing with real life friends but still managed to find 1 or 2 people I got along.  Made a guild, ran it, ran raids but in the end just couldn't deal with the player base and left.  Haven't touched it since August and I'm not going back for the expansion.  I gave my account away.  Had all the changeable info changed to something I'd never know and even if I wanted to, I could never go back to my account.  I can honestly say after the last stint with the game I can't see myself playing again and I've not had the urge either.... But then again I've not been playing MMO's in general since then, and no WoW was not my all time favorite MMO either.  If Dark Age of Camelot went back to the golden days I'd be there in a heartbeat.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Played off and on till BC (bought BC) spend a week after and since never been back and never felt I wanted to go back. Tho never sweared I never be back, it just happens.