Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you be a loner in EVE?

2»

Comments

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

If i was to try and play Eve solo i would do the following.

Stay in the NPC corp as it will give you people to talk to.

Chose a farely easy and safe way to earn cash [such as Trading and level 4 mission running].

For PvP fun fly a cheap tech one ship you dont mind losing.

My best bet for you is to try trading its very easy to do [once you get the hang of it] and it can earn a nice ammount of cash for what is basically a hauling proffesion. And if you do well you will have lots of cash to spend for a weekend binge of PvP.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• Bozo256Bozo256 Member Posts: 74

I've been pirating with an alt scout, in low sec and 0.0 for the last two years.  About 1/3rd of my kills are solo.  Because I love Battlecruisers, my alt has saved me from many deaths by gatecamps.  If I didn't have the alt, I'd be able to use a cloaky recon, frig, or expendable T1 cruiser and still get along just fine.

Solo can be fun and profitable.  The ONLY downside is that the targets you can engage is more limited.  Most people don't fly solo, and when you see a few guys that won't split up and you know you can't take them all together you have to just move on to another target - when you could have had a good fight if you had a buddy with you.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

The answer is yes.  But I suggest joining a corp. It opens more gameplay in a sandpit universe that you can be anything you make it to be. 

Edited- please watch out for Jabba the Hutt's sarlacc, Godzilla, and flying monkeys! SANDPIT!!!!!!!

• ExplodingPodExplodingPod Member Posts: 57

Sandpit.. I love it.

Somehow fits eve better than sandbox.

Sandpit.... with landmines and that monster that was hanging out under Jabba the Hut's barge....

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

And quicksand. Don't forget the quicksand.

Jeeesssus!~ I meant sand box.  ;)  

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074
    Originally posted by batolemaeus

Did anyone ever told you your EVE avatar looks like Michael Wincott?

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by ExplodingPod

Sandpit.. I love it.
    Somehow fits eve better than sandbox.
    Sandpit.... with landmines and that monster that was hanging out under Jabba the Hut's barge....

Dont forget the cat Turds [goonswarm as an example]

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

I have played solo for the last six years and it have not gotten boring for me yet.

I have both a character in a rookie NPC corp and in my own solo corp. I needed the corp facade to be able to run my own starbase in low security space. There are lots of things to do for a solo player, especially enjoying the thrills of low security space.

Originally posted by Toquio3

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Holy crap it does hahahahhaha! 

Originally posted by Toquio3
    Originally posted by batolemaeus And quicksand. Don't forget the quicksand.

:-|

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

My experience is everyone doing PVP has more than one account and because the combat in EVE isn't twitch based, it is easy to control several ships at the same time. Not only that but the game is so overcrowded now that you can't roam for ages and not see anyone anymore. I remember back in 2003 I'd roam on my own in low sec and attack people but you can't do that anymore like you could.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Varny
    My experience is everyone doing PVP has more than one account and because the combat in EVE isn't twitch based, it is easy to control several ships at the same time. Not only that but the game is so overcrowded now that you can't roam for ages and not see anyone anymore. I remember back in 2003 I'd roam on my own in low sec and attack people but you can't do that anymore like you could.

Yep, alts killed the gameplay...

• thats the one thing, if any, that does bother me, is that it seems EVE space has become...saturated.  From playing for several days now, I'm addicted to it already..skilling is like crack to me.  I turned on the option in the map where you can see where people have been podded in the last 24 hours..and there isn't a lonely amount of space to be found it seems.

I like finding those lonely pockets where you suddenly realize your not alone..that adds a fear factor that gets me going.  But when you got 100's of people in each system..hard to find those places.  Of course half of those are most likely traders.

I think they need to expand their space a little.  Doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, given the way the game looks constructed.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Gdemami

Yep, alts killed the gameplay...

+1 I forgot

Originally posted by SeriphinX
    I like finding those lonely pockets where you suddenly realize your not alone..that adds a fear factor that gets me going.  But when you got 100's of people in each system..hard to find those places.

Yes, if you stay in Highsec..

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Not only that but the game is so overcrowded now that you can't roam for ages and not see anyone anymore.

Normally the population complaint in an MMO is that one can travel for hours/miles/etc and never see a single person. It's interesting to see the complaint in a social/PVP MMO that the game is populated.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

The risk in Eve is what I love. Even in wormhole space you can run into pilots. It is amazing how much the game has increased in population since those days. 

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

If you could effectively solo in this game I'd probably still be playing it.    I found this game refreshing in many ways but I simply despise non-consentual pvp and I hate being dependent upon other players.

In short:   Eve is a very good game but it's not for me.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by SwampRob

If you could effectively solo in this game I'd probably still be playing it.    I found this game refreshing in many ways but I simply despise non-consentual pvp and I hate being dependent upon other players.

Shows that not everyone can be a Han solo.

You can effectively solo in this game but it is tough and you have to use your loaf. Here is an example.

Back in the day i knew a guy who would outfit a Scorp with a shield tank and Large smart bombs. Making him a deadly 'Single" gate camper. Any frig that jumped through a gate and is close to him would be instant popped by the smart bombs, he made a tidy sum from the loot these fast flying frigs were transporting.

Point being that frigs are hard to catch in a gate camp (due to lock time)and were used to transport minerals and other expenisve things, how to catch these guys, use smart bombs that don't require a lock to fire.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Shows that not everyone can be a Han solo.

You can effectively solo in this game but it is tough and you have to use your loaf. Here is an example.

Back in the day i knew a guy who would outfit a Scorp with a shield tank and Large smart bombs. Making him a deadly 'Single" gate camper. Any frig that jumped through a gate and is close to him would be instant popped by the smart bombs, he made a tidy sum from the loot these fast flying frigs were transporting.

Point being that frigs are hard to catch in a gate camp (due to lock time)and were used to transport minerals and other expenisve things, how to catch these guys, use smart bombs that don't require a lock to fire.

I'm sure it's possible to solo in Eve.    But the scenario you describe sounds like mega unfun to me.   Basically I'd be sitting there, waiting to ambush and mug someone?    I've always felt no consent pvp was very much akin to bullying or mugging.    

If Eve would just let me do solo missions, mine good stuff and slowly level without ever once subjecting me to PvP, I'd stay.   But, of course, that would radically change the game.

I think Eve is a very interesting game but I also feel no game that has open PvP will ever have huge numbers.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by SeriphinX

thats the one thing, if any, that does bother me, is that it seems EVE space has become...saturated.  From playing for several days now, I'm addicted to it already..skilling is like crack to me.  I turned on the option in the map where you can see where people have been podded in the last 24 hours..and there isn't a lonely amount of space to be found it seems.
    I like finding those lonely pockets where you suddenly realize your not alone..that adds a fear factor that gets me going.  But when you got 100's of people in each system..hard to find those places.  Of course half of those are most likely traders.
    I think they need to expand their space a little.  Doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, given the way the game looks constructed.

Much of 0.0 is pretty empty most of the time. You sound like you'd maybe enjoy W-space, with it's delayed local - you dont know who is in system until you scan or probe them out.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    I think Eve is a very interesting game but I also feel no game that has open PvP will ever have huge numbers.

Define "huge"

EVE probably wont ever have as many as WoW does now, but neither will any other game either. Compared to every MMO except WoW, EVE has pretty decent sub numbers.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• nikoanikoa Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Malcanis

Define "huge"

EVE probably wont ever have as many as WoW does now, but neither will any other game either. Compared to every MMO except WoW, EVE has pretty decent sub numbers.

I logged on Saturday with 50,000 players online.  I think that's a good number.  WoW might have more subscriptions but max you might have 5,000 people to fight.

Current Games: EVE, WoW
    Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, CoH, CoX, MXO, GW, Silk Road, WAR, AoC, Anarchy Online, UO, DDO