Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad toon names vs Good toon names.....

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Lets face it many of us gamers appreciate a good toon name. For example I started my toon name Isturi form a lotion bottle of all things my mind is very creative when it comes to creating a toon or as a "Avatar" for those of you not savvy enough in MMO language to understand what I meant by "toon" anywho I like to put time and effort in to my game beginning with my toons name. My opinion it separates the gamer from the casual wannabe. I done some research and I come up with some very good names and some very horrible names.

With out further to a due here are the good names:

Zarmortis   Albeit

Zarmitar     Lindir

Zaraph       Orthac

Melkor        Khamûl

Isturi           Imrahil

Urthona,

Jhuuno,

Odn,

Malchiel,

Marrigan,

Luvah

Enceladus

Damaskenos

lol just to name a few. Now for the crappy names:

Dahealah     Pieceoffass

Aloha             Lady Paoolah (or anything "Lady")

Pixy                 Dominic

Anything (Gul-, Zul-, -Dan, etc.)

Hoppinassassin

Tiberius

Sunwell  (yes any stupid WoW name that is a object in the game come on get real.)

Sedious- from star wars (not a original name)

Well anyways you guys get the point. Any more good or bad names you guys can come up with and yes even  use your own toon names.

Comments

• ClaesClaes Member CommonPosts: 265

Why is Aloha worse than Albeit? They're both just regular english words.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Claes

Yes very true but come on Aloha reminds ppl of Hawaii not a MMO name lol

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

All I have to add is that you can tell a player's personality by their character names;

I usually don't get along with people who draw a lot from lore, or it just seems like the name is too suiting to Middle Earth or something. They generally lack a sense of humor.

People who plagiarize pop-culture icons are usually dimwits, and tend to try and act like their namesakes and become quickly obnoxious.

Those with outright disgusting names that would get a mod edit in here give exactly the kind of show you would expect from these kinds of people.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

I hate stupid names like that. Any name that's like, Iwhipjoarse, pwnage, or something that isn't RPish i find lousy. I also think names of common popular fictional characters are lame like Drizzt. Zeddicus Zul Zorander :)

Like Killah and the retarded names but sometimes they can be funny though. Here are a number of names that I thought were funny.

OsamaUrMama is a long time favorite
    Limubai

My character names have been the following:

My first PKer in Diablo 2 was called Khellendros and I love that name. So it comes up often. My first diablo 2 character is Cryomatrix and I often times use it for logins for the games that I play.

Lineage 2 and RoM:
    Qais (pronounced Kayce, but people say Kwayce and therefore i've stopped using it)

Eve:
    Khellendra and Chancellor Doom (albeit this one is lame)

Star Wars Galaxies:
    Khell Valkyn (the name of one of my diablo 2 characters)

Diablo 2 names:
    Chrsyanethemum = one of my favorite HC duelers of all time and favorite names
    GreglouGAYnis = I was immature :(
    Imaphag = I was also immature

WoW:
    Cromagnon (i made an orc and it looked like a neandertha, i didnt' think id continue playing)

I forgot my Quake 3 name; That was the game i played before i started MMO types.
    Cryomatrix :)

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

I am not too sure about the list but I do like to name my characters in such a way as they would fit in the general feel or lore of the game. LOTRO warrants tolkienesque names and so on and so forth.

I think it is important that character names fit the setting, or are at the very least genuine unique names, not taken from popculture or silly joke names.

The ammount of Leggolasses and Aarragorns you meet in any game is always disheartening.

I am not really much of an RPer but I do feel like the immersion has broken if I see someone with a name like, Ipwnjoo ect.

Name your character in the same way as the NPCs or setting warrants. These are still mmo 'rpg' s after all.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

It's all subjective OP.  I disagree with a lot of names on your list.  Names like "Albeit" (english word - sounds strange in a name), "Luvah" (really, why is lover a good name?), Odn (needs another vowel somewhere), Damaskenos and Zarmortis (too long), etc.

I also don't go too RP heavy myself.  I try to go somewhere in a middle ground between in choosing a name that sounds like it would fit in with the lore, but doesn't sound way too corny either.  My favorite character name that I use in most MMOs is Maylei which sounds like an actual name, but when spoken sounds like the word "Melee" (most of the time I use this name the characters are melee oriented too).  If the name doesn't seem appropiate to the type of game then I'll use a different name.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by GTwander

All I have to add is that you can tell a player's personality by their character names;
    I usually don't get along with people who draw a lot from lore, or it just seems like the name is too suiting to Middle Earth or something. They generally lack a sense of humor.
    People who plagiarize pop-culture icons are usually dimwits, and tend to try and act like their namesakes and become quickly obnoxious.
    Those with outright disgusting names that would get a mod edit in here give exactly the kind of show you would expect from these kinds of people.

I agree with most of what you say, other than those that name there characters after lore lacking a sense of humor. I name characters on occasion to fit the lore, and I feel I have a great sense of humor.

Anyways, some of my own personal names and name dislikes...

My Characters:

- Piritien Pynk (Female Woodelf Ranger in EQ. Wore Hot pink armor)

- Zalasar Razorwhiskers (Val Shir Beastlord in EQ)

- Maggotbuffet (Undead Priest in WoW)

- Peteophile - (Only had this toon about 10 minutes before I deleted it) Was a Human Male priest I had chasing the NPC kids around Stormwind  in his underwear one day out of boredom.

- Ormsunnhet (Stygian Tempest of Set). Name is in Norwegian. Roughly means "Snakehealer and/or health)

- Kaledren (No real meaning, just thought it up and liked the way it sounded.

- Lacihtenu (Actually a comic character I created) Not giving ALL of the details, but it's based on the reinstatment of the secret society of ninjas in Japan, which takes place in 2142. Since ninjas died out with the dawn of the industrial age and modernization of Japan, ninjas making a comeback is an oddity in the time period. The name is simply the word unethical backwards. I felt it sounded sort of Japanese this way, plus, it's fitting for the setting and circumstances.

Many more, but not getting into all of them. Would be one hell of a post =P.

I usually thumb through a dictionary, etc for neat sounding words, or words that have a loose connection to the character in questions abilities, looks, etc. But sometimes I just pull random names out of thin air to try and stay somewhat with the theme of said game.

Ok, hated names:

- Anything unoriginal such as the name of a person, exisitng character, product, etc, etc. Ex. Legolass, Headnshoulders, etc.

- Overly retarded names (Sort of fits with first dislike as well.). Sure, I have Maggotbuffet listed, but he was undead, it fit, and is mildly humorous. And sure, there was Peteophile, but it was temporary to get a few quick chuckles. I'm talking about names like Ubahpwnr, Leetdude, etc used as serious characters.

That's about it lol.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

umm name for me depends on the class/race/game i have seen some i thought was dumb or just had no place in the game.

it makes me laugh everytime i see some one named "Generic" anything in Aion, it means they had a name they shouldn't have and it got changed. noticed alot of them was sorcs that had names changed like Genericsorcerer,Genericsorc,Gensorc ect ect. they could pick a new one the "Generic" is only a temp thing but most for some reason keep it.

My favorite most fitting name i had come up with was in WoW on a pvp server, he was an undead rogue named "Gankinstein".

i try to use the same names in games i play i usually use Fantomas, Vlad Drac<(fake name Mike Patton used on the first Mr. Bungle album with WB) think those are about the only 2 i use in every game i can if they're not taken.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Any names with numbers in them make me cry :(

or names like this xXColdHeartXx >.> one thing i really hated about some Lineage 2 players

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Yeahhh, I don't really care much. I tend to ignore the players with "bad" names.

The thing is though...you do realize that some kids actually do incorporate numbers into their real names, right?

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

What's wrong with "Tiberius" as name?

I think the worst names are those referring to a character from something that has nothing to do with the game, AND that characters name beeing spelled wrong. Like someone named "Gondalf" runs around, because "Gandalf" was taken.

I don't think though that every name has to be serious. For example the first time I saw a dude named "Sir Lagsalot" it give me a hearty chuckle. :)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

these names suck, the best names are the funny non-rp ones.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by drazzah

these names suck, the best names are the funny non-rp ones.

Ok Then what would you consider to be good funny non rp names??

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Worst names include Legolas, Drizzt, Raistlin, Belgarath, Neo.. or anything related to these names or any typoed version of these. Also any name with numbers in the place of letters is stupid as well as "xXx ... xXx", "- ... -" or "boner65421".

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Worst names include Legolas, Drizzt, Raistlin, Belgarath, Neo.. or anything related to these names or any typoed version of these. Also any name with numbers in the place of letters is stupid as well as "xXx ... xXx", "- ... -" or "boner65421".

lol guilty :p

wops hehe

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I don't care what others say my names are always inspired from games. I even sometimes use character names from other games but pretty hard usually to find them unused some of them but I usually use a little modified version of them like for example instead of arngrim since it's usually take I use it as argrim.

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

Pieceofass is a funny ass game XD

BigusDickus is an epic one (thank monty python for that one)

LolUMad is another great one

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Claes

Becouse he says so :p

I say his good names are bad and bad names are good becouse i say so:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I have to say that I too, will often times disregard folks with Leet names, or ripped off character names, I agree with the poster above, Drizzt, Raistlin, Legolas, Aragorn, Cid, Cecil, Rosa, Sephiroth (Any Final Fantasy name really) are just unoriginal.

And a lot of the leet names, aren't really that original either... But now-a-days almost every name has been used by many, so there aren't that many original names left.

I use these names all the time, and I've seen a few of them used by other players as well (marked in asteriks): Emeraq, Solaira, Soladrian, Soladriel, Solaribeth, *Klane, *Lokar, *Vane, Greenthorne (this one probably isn't original, I think I altered it from Silverthorne), *Lifon, *Rhona, Morraien, *Thalen, Laraelia.

To me these are good names, and somewhat original, but to others they just might not be, it's all subjective really.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by maji

What's wrong with "Tiberius" as name?
    I think the worst names are those referring to a character from something that has nothing to do with the game, AND that characters name beeing spelled wrong. Like someone named "Gondalf" runs around, because "Gandalf" was taken.
    I don't think though that every name has to be serious. For example the first time I saw a dude named "Sir Lagsalot" it give me a hearty chuckle. :)

That's a good one. I had a character in the original EQ named "Osama's BinLagin"... lol  I had to explain to a lot of people why my toon was named "Osama's" before I hit level 20 and got the surname. 

As for names being good or bad I try to pick names that go with the theme of the race and class of a character. I always try to make an original name. The example above was one of only a few times I had a variation of a real world name. As for people that do pick what may be considered 'bad' names it's not my place to judge them. I either deal with the name if the person is likable enough or ignore them if they are not. I rarely will judge a person's personality based only on their choice of a character name.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by GetViolated

Blumpkin Teabaggins (saw this in Darkfall...oddly it was after I mentioned the name "Dildo Teabaggins" in a thread about names on this very site)

Rusty Trombone (used this in SWG...if you don't know what it is, google it for laughs)

Megacolon (Used this one in Anarchy Online)

Oobiedoobie Kanoobie (saw this in SWG......still LOL at it)

Pengina (Saw in AO)

Master Fister (used this on some alts)

Names using "leet speak" or numbers piss me off. I usually gank and loot the fuckers just on principal. Names that make me laugh still get ganked, I just don't loot them

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by GetViolated

Blumpkin Teabaggins (saw this in Darkfall...oddly it was after I mentioned the name "Dildo Teabaggins" in a thread about names on this very site)

Rusty Trombone (used this in SWG...if you don't know what it is, google it for laughs)

Megacolon (Used this one in Anarchy Online)

Oobiedoobie Kanoobie (saw this in SWG......still LOL at it)

Pengina (Saw in AO)

Master Fister (used this on some alts)

Names using "leet speak" or numbers piss me off. I usually gank and loot the fuckers just on principal. Names that make me laugh still get ganked, I just don't loot them

LOL

I had a guild in AoC and War called Two Maidens on Chalice

My friend got in trouble in WoW for naming his pet *racial* Slave lol

• rellorello Member Posts: 186

Hah, all the names you listed under good names sounded fucking terrible to me.