Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A World With out World of Warcraft

Now, Blizzard is an undisputed king of the MMO world. As i scroll through the game list waiting for my time card on WoW to expire i thought to myself, "What would the development of the MMO industry would be today with out world of warcraft?" I am bored of WoW i hit 80 and that was enough for me, but others love the game, and i also heard a report from blizzard that they hit the climax of subscribers in 2008. So in a world with out warcraft not to far away? How would have our lives and society been changed if blizzard hadn't made this multi billion dollar game. Who would be the king of the industry today if it was not blizzard.

Comments

• Andr4599Andr4599 Member Posts: 99

The answer is easy.

There wouldnt be any mmo's if it wasent for wow.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Andr4599

The answer is easy.

And you know this how?

• takayitakayi Member Posts: 158

The answer is easy.

Ofcourse not, there was 0 mmo's before WoW.

Originally posted by arenasb

The answer is easy.

And you know this how?

Because wow was the reason the normal gamer learned about mmos.

Originally posted by takayi

The answer is easy.

Ofcourse not, there was 0 mmo's before WoW.

I never said that.

The answer is easy.

And you know this how?

So it begins and ends with WoW eh? If Microsoft never happend would we have personal computers?

The answer is easy.

And you know this how?

So it begins and ends with WoW eh? If Microsoft never happend would we have personal computers?

Stop comparing difrent things.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

We'd all be complaining about UO clones, begging for something different.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

The answer is easy.

And you know this how?

because no mmo has come even remotely close to matching wow success?

Common sense really.

The new MMos didnt fail because they didnt have enough subscribers they failed because they were terrible.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Comnitus

We'd all be complaining about UO clones, begging for something different.

No no no, we would be complaining about EQ clones and.... oh wait, WoW was an EQ clone with tabletop Warhammer rpg graphics.

The answer is easy.

And you know this how?

Stop comparing difrent things.

It's a similar comparison. What I am saying is that it is silly to say that there would be no mmo's if wow didn't exist just like saying there wouldn't be personal computers if microsoft didnt' exist. Of course there would be. Now the better question is would the genre be as popular as it is if WoW didn't exist. I would think not.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

if there hadn't been a WoW, then i have no doubt that a lot of other games wouldnt have appeared either, online gaming pre-wow was mostly considered to be nerdy.. only SOE really had any games out.. Everquest.. and starwars galaxies.... probably the NGE wouldnt have happened... which would have been good, and it would have been considered acceptable to only have 200k subscribers to a game, as for the games that wouldnt have happened, warhammer, aion, city of heroes etc.. to name just a few, WoW, whether you love it or hate it, kickstarted the MMO genre, which whatever your preferences, is definitely a good thing. 

• Tenbwen1Tenbwen1 Member UncommonPosts: 50

A world without WOW would be a better world.

Tenbwen

Originally posted by Tenbwen1

A world without WOW would be a better world.

How so?

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Mmo's before WoW = Shakespeare

MMo's post WoW = Chuck Norris movie

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

Because of WoW we as gamers lifted our expectations of a MMORPG to a whole new level. This in itself is a good thing (development of better games) and a bad thing (lots of MMORPG's not being able to reach the expectations). WoW is a blessing and a curse.

I also agree with the posters above. If Blizzard hadn't developed the monster WoW is today, someone else would've.

• YamothYamoth Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

The answer is easy.

There were MMOs before WOW and there would be after WOW. WOWs 11 million did nothing for the industry other than for WOW. They hop to other games from time to time and find out its not like WOW and run back.  The only thing that might be different is that there might still be some creativity besides the clones that currently come out.

That is a stupid comment...  What WoW did for the industry is introduce what I considered to be three major points that other developer wasn't able to see before it.

1st, it show that there is a huge untapped market for the MMO industry and that there is major growth and profit potential within the genera.

2nd, shows that within the MMO population, people have a vast majority of taste and prefrence.  You got the masochist gamer group that enjoy hard punishment and long grind.  You got the sadistic gamer group where their sole source of enjoyment within the game is to cause misery for other players.  You got the hardcore group that send an insane amount of time within the game in the quest to achieve everything.  You got the elite group who enjoy and crave for difficult fights and challenges that they know that the majority of the population just don't have the skill to do.  Then you got the casul, the crafter, so on and so forth.

3rd, while this is not a direct result of WoW but more so of all the halfassed and failed game afterward and the results of many WoW's player returning to it after trying out different games.  After WoW, people tend to have a much higher technical expection for newer MMO.  It is from my experience that MMO player of today is much less forgiving than those of UO and EQ era.  When a game and especially the AAA title, there is an expected level of functionality that come with it.  Things need to work the way the developer said it will work.  Too much bugs, bad encounter, lags, and non functional content and you will see player abandon the game in troves.  If you going to do something, do it good and do it right.  Other wise expect to get nothing but some crums while Blizzard continue to enjoy the major part of the pie all to itself.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by kyro0

Now, Blizzard is an undisputed king of the MMO world. As i scroll through the game list waiting for my time card on WoW to expire i thought to myself, "What would the development of the MMO industry would be today with out world of warcraft?" I am bored of WoW i hit 80 and that was enough for me, but others love the game, and i also heard a report from blizzard that they hit the climax of subscribers in 2008. So in a world with out warcraft not to far away? How would have our lives and society been changed if blizzard hadn't made this multi billion dollar game. Who would be the king of the industry today if it was not blizzard.

To answer your question noone would need to be king of the industry but making quality MMOs still, MMOs as worlds not instanced drivel.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

The answer is easy.

And you know this how?

because no mmo has come even remotely close to matching wow success?

Common sense really.

The new MMos didnt fail because they didnt have enough subscribers they failed because they were terrible.

Some would consider WoW to be terrible.

Other games have failed because they try to clone WoW instead of going there own path, or because they release there product too early with tons of bugs, etc.

Also agree with the reply directly above mine.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

There were MMOs before WOW and there would be after WOW. WOWs 11 million did nothing for the industry other than for WOW. They hop to other games from time to time and find out its not like WOW and run back.  The only thing that might be different is that there might still be some creativity besides the clones that currently come out.

I'm going to agree with this. If not for WoW (I feel dirty even typing it) who knows what kind of innovative games we might have today? Virtual worlds without instances, without designated PVP areas, without the eternal quest for the next purple item...

Instead we get a bunch of companies pouring cash into clones, hoping for a piece of the pie.

Not to mention the VERMIN that have infested the MMORPG playerbase as a result. Yeah, I said it. A good percentage of these clowns would be playing their Xboxes and not infesting every game like roaches with ADD.

And as someone mentioned....we probably wouldn't have the NGE

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I'm going to agree with this. If not for WoW (I feel dirty even typing it) who knows what kind of innovative games we might have today? Virtual worlds without instances, without designated PVP areas, without the eternal quest for the next purple item...

Instead we get a bunch of companies pouring cash into clones, hoping for a piece of the pie.

Not to mention the VERMIN that have infested the MMORPG playerbase as a result. Yeah, I said it. A good percentage of these clowns would be playing their Xboxes and not infesting every game like roaches with ADD.

And as someone mentioned....we probably wouldn't have the NGE

120% agree.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

WOW...

I avoided it for the better part 5 years, then finally gave in and played it. I can see why its so successful. It catters heavily to the "I want it, and I want it now" crowd of gamers, which apparently is millions. Sure games before wow only had a few hundred thousand players, but when someone walked by with a weapon that had any kind of particle effect, you wondered just what that player went through to get such a badass weapon. If you asked, they would likely recount their efforts, cause you didnt have nearly as many kiddies that might reply that they used "Anal [insert random wow link here]" on your mother to get it. Wow hands you gear like candy, using the diablo method to great effect(OMG, its awesome and i only need X more(lvls, faction, ect) to use it). As a new player ive lvl a character from 1-30 in about 6 days, seen almost none of the world because its faster and better loot to just queue up for an instance(assuming you arnt paired with ninjas), and I feel no sense of accomplishment with any of the good gear i get. I remember getting my first Wurmslayer and Centi Longsword in EQ1, or getting my prismatic weapon in EQ2...I kow the instances get harder at higher lvls, but everyone seems to be running around with fuull purple items and weapons with all kinds of animation/particle effects...at what point is it cool enough to feel like you stand out? I cant recall ever hearing people ask "whats your gearscore, ohh you arnt good enough for this content" in any other game. Maybe wow made other companies take a chance with mmos that might not have, but how many have failed because they didnt offer all the accomodating features wow does? I have to run to instances?  There is a tengible penalty for death? I have to work for my new abilities? Crafting isnt automatically successful? I can die in the process of returning to my corpse? AND IM NAKED?!?  I wish blizzard had added another IP to their rotation of Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo rotation rather than updating a 5 year old mmo every year or two, and left the mmo community smaller and less popular.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Well I guess it would be a world that's a little less fun for those who enjoy WoW. Wouldn't make a speck of difference to me though. Although I suppose I wouldn't have to deal with as many inane threads about WoW, so maybe a little better in that respect.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Companies would still call it the norm to deliver unfinished buggy games and .....damn they still do that despite Blizzard showing them it is stupid ....

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by KnaveSkye
    WOW...
    I avoided it for the better part 5 years, then finally gave in and played it. I can see why its so successful. It catters heavily to the "I want it, and I want it now" crowd of gamers, which apparently is millions. Sure games before wow only had a few hundred thousand players, but when someone walked by with a weapon that had any kind of particle effect, you wondered just what that player went through to get such a badass weapon. If you asked, they would likely recount their efforts, cause you didnt have nearly as many kiddies that might reply that they used "Anal [insert random wow link here]" on your mother to get it. Wow hands you gear like candy, using the diablo method to great effect(OMG, its awesome and i only need X more(lvls, faction, ect) to use it). As a new player ive lvl a character from 1-30 in about 6 days, seen almost none of the world because its faster and better loot to just queue up for an instance(assuming you arnt paired with ninjas), and I feel no sense of accomplishment with any of the good gear i get. I remember getting my first Wurmslayer and Centi Longsword in EQ1, or getting my prismatic weapon in EQ2...I kow the instances get harder at higher lvls, but everyone seems to be running around with fuull purple items and weapons with all kinds of animation/particle effects...at what point is it cool enough to feel like you stand out? I cant recall ever hearing people ask "whats your gearscore, ohh you arnt good enough for this content" in any other game. Maybe wow made other companies take a chance with mmos that might not have, but how many have failed because they didnt offer all the accomodating features wow does? I have to run to instances?  There is a tengible penalty for death? I have to work for my new abilities? Crafting isnt automatically successful? I can die in the process of returning to my corpse? AND IM NAKED?!?  I wish blizzard had added another IP to their rotation of Starcraft/Warcraft/Diablo rotation rather than updating a 5 year old mmo every year or two, and left the mmo community smaller and less popular.

You can get those "particle and glow effects" rather early, it's called enchantment. Most weapons don't have those effects from the get go.