Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will the combat system be?

All I wanna know is is it gonna be static pulling like 11? I heart static pulling and want it to come back in the worst ways. But I have a feeling this is just going to follow the new mold of running the same dungeon a trillion times or questing/grinding. So is static pulling coming back?

Never take life too seriously youre never gonna make it out alive.

Comments

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

I'd also be upset if it wasn't this way.

• Rover64ddRover64dd Member Posts: 144

I guess we dont know yet huh. I liked ffxi but it had so many other issues i wound up leaving for wow. If they keep the same combat ill buy it. If not ill just wait for the next mmo on the list. Signed up for the beta but god knows I never get in them.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

im hoping they are including both, the more ways to exp, the better. I know they are putting a lot more into questing this time, but for them to completely give up on the main combat style of FFXi would be weird.  Id love to have that option of say you get in a group, you do a doungen run, but you all have more time so you set up a static pull  and chill for a while. Then when i don't feel like being with a full group, me a a couple friends could pick up a quest to kill some time. That would be terrific.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think what is more important ,is how the new system will be implemented.What i am afraid is going to happen ,is groups will run around like madmen.The reason is the ability to change into any class,so you will no longer need a set puller or at least i don't think so,what will decide how the game is played is the abilities they give us for each class.Imagine if they gave everyone the ability to load Utsusemi,then change to ranger load up sharpshot/Barrage/Sidewinder,then switch to sammy load up 100 tp ,back to ranger rinse repeat.This would be incredible amounts of damage,you wouldn't even need to worry about pulling.

Because combat like that will be far too easy and really make it dumb,i believe we are not going to have any good abilities as compared to FFXI.I also believe the BEST abilities will have to be quested,probably a very tough battle.I foresee a lot of changes/tweaking,what might be too easy one day might be patched and made much harder for the future.IMO the ability to play any class is going to ruin the game,i can pretty much guarantee one of two things.

1 Either you are no longer going to have camps ,but as i said constant running around non stop combat,no organized combat just keep going as fast as you can.

2 The only option to take away from that lame type of combat is if they put some heavy restrictions on changing class.If they do put some heavy restrictions,then it sort of eliminates the purpose of the design,either way it is going to show some faults in that type of design.The other restriction,would be to just not give us any good abilities to exploit this new design,that could also make for some boring combat.

What you should also realize is the new questing/Guildleve system.If this is going to be a bunch of quests,then players may not even stick around to form groups and have organized camps/pullers.Instead they might finish their quest then move onto another or run back to complete it or run back to get new ones,this is one of my fears,turning a great game into nothing more than another WOW quest/fest.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbytapsAlbytaps Member Posts: 208

I can't see why people would think that you'd be able to change your CLASS during a battle... that would be absolutely idiotic.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Yeah I'm not sure if I read something about the combat or not in this thread www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/268988/Final-Fantasy-XIV-FFXIV-FF14-Links-and-Information.html. But I seem to remember that they said combat would be different from XI.  I hope you can't change jobs during combat, I like the idea of not having to go to a mog house to change. I agree with Wizardry that if you could do all these special abilities it would just be  plain dumb.

I wish they would just keep the same combat system as XI I really enjoyed it because it was different then every other MMO. I guess only time will tell..... This game needs to hurry up and come out so I can play it and see how I like it.  If I don't like it, I can see myself going back to XI again because there are just no other game out there that I like. While XI wasn't my first, it was the first game I played for a lengthy amount of time. No other game has kept me playing as long as it has.

About the Guildleve system, yeah I'm kinda worried about that as well. I hope its not going to turn the game into a solofest and you just group up to just kill big stuff or do a dungeon run.  One of the selling points in FFXI for me at least was I was in a group most of the time.  And people forget to realize that you could still do solo stuff in FFXI like crafting, farming for materials or farm stuff to sell on the AH and even some missions you could solo.  Its just that you couldn't progress your character EXP wise that much solo.  I guess some people are just all about getting to max level A.F.A.P which I'm not.

@Wiz

I know they already stated that you can't change classes during battle, so i would not worry about that( can you imagine how exploited that would become?) 

I heard they are thinking of giving every class some form of ranged attack, like throwing tools and such. Hopefully this will stop people from looking specificaly for a puller, or getting pissed off when you invite a (example) dragoon and monk for DDs and noone can really pull.

Well if you could switch classes between groupings Id assume they would have done this to help with LFG times. If there are x amount of people online all can play, not just 20% like ffxi while the rest have to wait for more healers and tanks.

Originally posted by Rover64dd

Well if you could switch classes between groupings Id assume they would have done this to help with LFG times. If there are x amount of people online all can play, not just 20% like ffxi while the rest have to wait for more healers and tanks.

Im pretty sure that is what they had in mind. Also its a very diffrent feature from most MMOs and somthing new never hurts. the thing with this is that if your  healer leaves, its not always garunteed someone in your group has a mage thats not way overpowered/ unpowered, but it defnitly ups that possibility and being able to change on the spot means you wont have to waste time running back to town to change.

Yea being able to change up roles to save the group is a great idea. Most of us gamers who have played mmo's since eq and have been doing the grind thing for years are burned out on it. Would be nice to get things a little smoother.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Like others have said, you can't change class during combat - more specifically you can't change equipment during combat, since your equipped weapon is actually what defines your class (yay no more ridiculous gear swapping, hated that in XI).

A few other things I haven't seen mentioned though-

• Combat is going to have more of a focus on large encounters of multiple opponents rather than just one monster at a time.
    • There is NO auto-attack.
    • There are two ATB gauges, one for each hand. What this means is still unclear but current speculation includes possibilities for using skills with each hand independently, and the possibility of dual-casting magic.
    • They are considering using TP for magic damage, similarly to how it affected weapon skill damage in XI.
    • Skillchains will be returning in some form.
    • They're supposedly doing away with the holy trinity, and given the way the classes can cross skills over (the new equivalent to subjobs) I can see that working. If the skills are all as interesting as that Protect barrier we saw in the original trailer then the dyanmics of combat will probably be significantly different to those of a typical MMO.
    • As mentioned, multiple interviews now have suggested that a given class will have access to it's own skills as well as a limited tertiary pool of skills from other classes levelled on that character.

SE are really being tight-lipped as usual though... that's everything I've managed to gather from interviews over the last year.

(Edited to add some more points that I forgot).

• NemorsaNemorsa Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 131

That all sounds awesome Alberel, especially more than one opponent, it reminds me of all other FF games, where usually there would be at least three enemies in a battle most times. The two ATB gauges sounds like it could be complicated to manage, or they could make it overtly simple, I wasn't around to get a fresh start in XI so I missed out on the grouping, I hope this time around I'll be able to get into that, don't want it to be so solo friendly. 

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Nemorsa XIV is going to be a lot more solo friendly than XI was but I also highly doubt that it'll be soloable to the extent that our western MMOs are. Square have a habit (both good and bad) of sticking to their guns with plans and not giving in easily to pressure from the community so I expect to still see a huge amount of forced grouping (it'll probably just be possible to solo at a much slower pace now, rather than simply being impossible for a lot of jobs).

In most regards, FFXIV is a highly refined and updated reinvention of FFXI designed to better suit the modern MMO audience. I view that as a good thing.

I enjoy solo, I went Red Mage in XI just for that reason, but by the time I joined most people were already at end game and I could hardly find anyone to group with anyway, and anyone I was able too didn't really understand how to group, not saying I do either, not the strongest MMO gamer. I hope XIV isn't a solo game right from the start, and I will get to get into some of the grouping I missed in XI. I want the combat to still rely on strong grouping for the most part, and it seems like it will. 

And I agree it is a good thing.

• I myself just hope that I will be able to solo something that cons as "easy prey" without getting ownd all over the place. I remember back in the day on XI only certain classes at high lv could handle some of the "easy prey" mobs out there. *has emotional scars from Goblin bomb's*

I'm sure you will be able too, they say it's very solo friendly.