Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is Funcom funding "The Secret World"?

13»

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Keep in mind TSW started development long before Age of Conan. Just because Age of Conan has struggled doesn't make FunCom an unreliable company or business partner as long as you get your investment returns.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Funcom has done nothing compared to SOE with Star Wars Galaxies, really I am not sure any game company will ever come close to even touching SOE on that one.  Treat their customer base like they are morons while suffering from a horrible case of "grass is greener" syndrome.

Still much as I hate to admit it I liked EQ2 fine and I love Free Realms.  I am watching with some interest how The Secret World will go.  I might be rare but Funcom is actually one of my favorite MMO companies.  They tend to have fast and good customer service and I think they do really try hard.  Could also partly be AO is my first love of MMOs, hehe.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I couldn't tell you how they're doing it, but I am looking forward to it, as this might be similar to Hellgate's horror/magic/sci fi blend of genres.  I like that it has that HP Lovecraft feel to it.

• aeliethaelieth Member Posts: 44

Wow do people bash Funcom. I play AoC and enjoy it, even if I am casual. It's a pretty game, good music, good atmosphere. While I was once a hardcore MMO'er, I've taken the backseat after becoming older. Yeah, the game had issues upon launch but they've improved it.

As to funding TSW? I'm one of those 150k people that still pay a monthly fee AoC. They still have the rest of the world out there to play AoC, not just the US. I'm really looking forward to TSW and hope it delivers! 

• ZarobienZarobien Member UncommonPosts: 24

I read that theres lots of same in the engines of AoC and TSW. So this might be a marketing strategy of new kind. They are making lots of games with different concepts using same techniques. So therefore they are not landing much subscribers per game but lots per engine.

I hated funcom after playing anarchy online. I tested the AoC and I was positively supriced about the graphics, but class unbalances where still there. So I think that Funcom can make nice game when it leaves out the classes and class balances.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Syno23

O

Actually, 1 million subscribers is a success. Anything lower is simply the game is doing great, it is making profit, it is holding its own, and a failure is under 150k subs which Age of Conan currently has.

Actually no, 150,000-200,000 is a success anything more is a great success, over one million is an absurd success.

!50,000 x 14.99 a month, you do the math.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Syno23

It really beats me. I mean if they released Age of Conan in 2008 and put all of their resources in it, why is it that they're still able to fund such a huge project as "The Secret World"? Secret World originally began development before Age of Conan, but still doesn't explain. Age of Conan failed and the subscriber base is used to pay back the investors for investing in Funcom. I'm really not sure why the company is still standing, yet able to fund yet another project such as, "The Secret World." 
    And, they think I'll be a success? Doesn't everyone hate Funcom from Age of Conan?

AOC did not fail long enough to eat up their resources.Fncom had something going for them that MOST do not,they made their games with their own profits,they did not need to borrow any money.AOC had a ton of sales early on and Funcom made the mistake of adding a ton of employees,however,like i said they did not carry those employees for long,they released tons of employees to make sure they did not eat up their resources.I would not worry about Funcom just yet,they are probably still not borrowing money and if they are it is far less than other developers.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.