Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So after 6 hours playing, and 4k away from level 11...

AzurealAzureal Member UncommonPosts: 235

...Im feeling a little bit..."meh".

Reading about the changes/additions they have in store gives me a little more hope, and might make me subscribe for Conquest mode, but Im not sure yet.

Its just a shooter grindfest with an extremely basic (re: lacklustre) loot/crafting system tacked on, and yet its still kinda fun. Well, except for when:

A. You queue for a PvE match and just by looking at the character levels/types in your party you know you wont finish the scenario.

B. You join the PvP queue and end up in a scenario that makes no sense and has no cohesion (though this is soon to be fixed by allowing players to pick the scenario they want).

C. You finish either of the above games and realise...thats all there is to do.

Graphics are nice (though true first person mode would be awesome) and I didnt suffer from any kind of lag at all, which is really nice, though I giess thats because of the instancing more than server code. I just wish there was more....stuff like armor and weapons and fluff.

Something something bleh discuss.

PAST: UO-SWG-DAOC-WOW-DDO-VG-AOC-WAR-FE-DFO-LOTRO-RIFT-GW2
PRESENT: Nothing
FUTURE: ESO

Comments

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

When I bought the game I didn't expect great character depth or a storyline unfold before my eyes as I played the game. I pretty much expected a shooter like Quake 1,2,3 or similar. I knew the game had MMO elements like character progression and crafting but I also knew that it was in place to compliment the PvP side of things, such as king of the hill maps or maybe some CTF style ones. I never expected to play a fully developed MMO where i would party up for this grandiose adventure and exploration. I played Quake 2 for a long time and probably my most memorable days of gaming. GA brings me back to that.

I'm not a big fan of shooters these days because they are plagued with aim botting and wall hacking, both of which has ruined many games for me including my beloved BF2. Now I can finally play a shooter again where this is a non issue (yet).

I admit I haven't played Tribes or TF2 or even know what they are about so i can't speak about if they are better shooters. I have pretty much avoided the whole genre for a long time because of my disappointments mentioned above, I just know I'm having tons of fun after little over a week of play. Will I be entertained a month from now? maybe not but then again I payed $50 for CoD Modern Warfare and it ended up on the shelf 2 days after I bought and completed the single player part, so I already consider this a great purchase.

One thing I keep seeing popping up is people saying "I don't know if It's worth subscribing for". Well shoot. If you can have fun with out throwing more money at the game then how is that a bad thing. It's like people are dying to spend their money. Count your blessings you can have fun in a game like this without feeling forced to pay $15 to experience it or to compete in PvP. This game is not meant to keep you glued to the screen 24/7 like a MMORPG although you can if you want. You log in you play some PvP or PvE for an hour or two then log and do something else. Just like any other shooter.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Azureal

Reading about the changes/additions they have in store gives me a little more hope, and might make me subscribe for Conquest mode, but Im not sure yet.

Its just a shooter grindfest with an extremely basic (re: lacklustre) loot/crafting system tacked on, and yet its still kinda fun. Well, except for when:

A. You queue for a PvE match and just by looking at the character levels/types in your party you know you wont finish the scenario.

B. You join the PvP queue and end up in a scenario that makes no sense and has no cohesion (though this is soon to be fixed by allowing players to pick the scenario they want).

Graphics are nice (though true first person mode would be awesome) and I didnt suffer from any kind of lag at all, which is really nice, though I giess thats because of the instancing more than server code. I just wish there was more....stuff like armor and weapons and fluff.

With your fairly large list of retired games.. I can't say I'm quite surprised.  You just seem to get bored more easily than others.  Perhaps it's not a fault of the game, but more an ADD type of thing.  There is more to do than any typical shooter, and considering it's free.. I'd say that's pretty nice.  If you're playing CoD, you join a server and PvP.  At least you have a few options in GA.  The game obviously isn't finished, I'd suggest not burning yourself out on it.  There's no rush to get to level 50. 

• Blackfire1Blackfire1 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Global Agenda isn't free.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Blackfire1

Global Agenda isn't free.

WoW, I figured everyone would be intelligent enough to know that I'm talking about fee's after the initial purchase.  So either you're not that smart or you're attempting to be a troll.  Neither of which I'm interested in talking to. 

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Thanks for the heads up.

Though to be fair the realisation that "Thats all there is to it" is a feeling I get from playing all FPS type games now.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

Join a clan or make a clan with your friends etc.

I'ts no wonder, you dislike A+B+C if you're playing the game solo. It's like raiding an instance in WoW with a group of unknown random players, you simply don't want to do it.

• JohnCreedJohnCreed Member CommonPosts: 67

6 hours and you're only level 11? You level 5 in like 10 minutes and should be level 12 after maybe two hours.

Also why does everyone always have to bring up the conquest and how they're not going to subscribe? Just play it like it's a normal shooter. When you get bored play something else. If you don't like shooters then you shouldn't have bought it. Maybe it will become an MMO eventually after they make the necessary changes but right now it's just a really fun team based shooter with MMO elements.

• hellshankshellshanks Member Posts: 144

Hang in there =( it gets better. 

Yeah, I'm excited, not just for the update, for the fact that they listened to the votes! =D 

It gets better, try different classes and agencies and playing more.  

May be fixed in the updates? but anyway, it's better if you get some mates together and go. IE: get in an agency 

You said it. 

Try Conquest....  

Keep leveling. Every odd level (5,7,9 so on) you get new equipment. Also, if you walk around, you see some closed shops, and in the trailers, more melee weapons, as well as in the concept art. *hint hint*
     I've come to the conclusion you need to get more involved in the MMO part, by getting in an agency. Make your own groups in the agency for PVE/PVP and do come conquest, which is PVP on a scale that matters a bit more. Keep leveling for that equipment. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I wanted to buy it.

But than i made a smarter decision and bought Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Havent looked back since

• NightCloakNightCloak Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by DAS1337

With your fairly large list of retired games.. I can't say I'm quite surprised.  You just seem to get bored more easily than others.  Perhaps it's not a fault of the game, but more an ADD type of thing.  There is more to do than any typical shooter, and considering it's free.. I'd say that's pretty nice.  If you're playing CoD, you join a server and PvP.  At least you have a few options in GA.  The game obviously isn't finished, I'd suggest not burning yourself out on it.  There's no rush to get to level 50. 

'nuff said.

• quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 125

it's an FPS. if you bought it thinking there would be more to it then the same PvP, that's your fault. if you've ever played any type of online shooter, then you should know what to expect from it. my gosh i hear so many people complaining about how there's nothing to do but PvP. didn't you figure out it was going to be mostly an online shooter when they said it was a shooter with MMO elements? and the game came out 2 weeks ago, can you at least give it a chance? i don't see how this game can be repetitive, but BF:BC2 isn't....o.O

• CavissiCavissi Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by DAS1337

I wouldn't blame a long list of retired games on ADD, but more lackluster games. The games that seem to have potential on his list (Vanguard is more what i'm referring) were buggy and had population issues, and then all the recent ones (AoC, LOTRO, Aion, WAR) failed to deliver a deep experience.

On a completely unrelated matter, Someone else was pointing out how fps tend to be full of hackers,botters. Is this already happening in this game? i have been on the fence of picking it up and that would completely ruin it for me.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

this game in its current state is not for MMO lovers. it's a deep tactical shooter, without a lot of emphasis on progression and self-gratification through leveling/gearing. even though this aspect is being added soon with epic weapons at higher levels. GA always has and always will appeal a little more to FPS fans. ive played for about two months now and im still enjoying it immensely. the fun in this game comes from teamwork, playing with different loadouts and progression through increasing skill as opposed to content/gear/talent points.

there have been quite a few hackers and botters so far, as in any new game. but they are eliminated by devs so quickly that you'll only see them in maybe one game before their IP's are banned forever.

• EtraEtra Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Originally posted by sonoggi

...but they are eliminated by devs so quickly that you'll only see them in maybe one game before their IP's are banned forever.

And this is what gives me great hope for this game. :]

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

IMHO Bad Company 2 sucks compared to Bf2 and Bf2142. Considering this game was made for console first its only max palyers are 16 vs 16 = total 32 ..... no 64 which is sadness.

Can't Prone. WTF is that? Prone is a decent feature in FPS why the hell take it away? 

Bradley's main cannon has a recharge rate of fire. Only can fire like 6 round burst recharge. Thats unrealistic. And they took away the 2ndary missle fire from the bradley as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkewcpsESHc

Same thing with the apache helicopter in the gunner seat. Tanks in BF2 you had the internal machinegun so you had 2 weapons the main gun and the machine gun.

Hated not having a machine gun in bf2142 on tanks unless someone hopped in. Now in this game its the same they took it away on the Abrams tank so you only get the main turret gun but no machine gun unless someone else hops in.

Rush game play sucks cause any idiot doesn't need to actually plant a bomb they can just go suicide death bomber and blow up the objective without actually planting the charge. Or you can use the Recon Mortor Kit or UAV with the pred missle.

Was looking forward to Badcompany 2 but glad i got to beta it and talk with a friend of mine who has it on console. Its a shame that it sucks.

Anyway to the OP and sorry to steal the post on the GA , I am considering trying this game since Bad Company 2 is a let down.

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

I bought the game and set the six months subscription but later removed it when I played the game for 20ish levels.

It is a ok game but no way that I pay monthly for the current state of the game. I might check up in half a year or so to see if any great improvements has been made but for now I am done with it.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I've been an avid gamer for over 20 years now .... i have a game list longer then the Chinese wall :)

Yet, I find this game a lot of fun ... though there are a few things you need to keep in mind:

- On low level PvE, the pugs are usually awfull!!! ... some people just give me the shivers ... try to bring a team together of decent players, it will flip the experience from frustration to fun. If you can't find a team fast, go high security when you hit 12 ... the players there have slightly more experience.

- Do not considder it an MMO. I have many years of MMO experience myself, this game is not even close to the MMO "feeling". See it as an FPS with some extra's :)

- For more challenge ... i can also suggest to try the Robotics class ... i've found that class to be the most versatile one and also the hardest class to master.

- Don't think about the subscription. Do that in a month or so.

- Levels don't say anything in this game .... the higher levels only have the benefit of the skillpoints to spend, but it says absolutely nothing about their skills!! I have met absolutely horrible level 30 players that had no clue and brilliant low levels :)

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I agree with the OP. 

It's not 'great' as either an MMO or a FPS game.  It doesn't do either in a 'noteworthy' capacity.  Nothing special. 

For me, this game is a diversion.  A game to be played when my other games are in their maint. windows.   

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

I'm really enjoying the game and I haven't gotten into any games like that in awhile. I haven't played any AvA yet as I haven't found a decent Agency. I've gotten a bunch of random invites from Agencies that are either not on the map I want to play or are on the maps that are open during play times that wouldn't be comfortable for me in a central timezone.

I've also noticed that some of the Agencies are taxing people, which never goes well because there are alwasy the core elite group that don't pay taxes, but reap the benefits.

I'm thinking about starting an Agency for people that want to play AvA competitively, but don't take gaming so damn seriously. It's obnoxious how over the top and Gung-ho (not in the true spirit of the Chinese meaning, but the overly zealous American variant) most of the people in Agencies are.

The problem with starting an Agency like that is that douchebag scammers come in and try to pull one over on everyone, and that's not worth it. I'm not into the whole pretend espionage that is really just scamming.

Oh well... random Mercenary matches are fun for now.