Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will be Guild Wars 2's main Competition?

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Since GW2 will finally be a MMORPG, what will be it's main Competition, and how do you think it will it effect Guild Wars 2 play style and future development?

Comments

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Anets bussiness model dusnt have any compitition.

Nothing will stop players buying guild wars and playing it alongside other mmo's as it is free to play, that imo made gw1 a success.

On the other hand GW2 can be a big competition for all P2P mmo's as what ive read so far GW2 is gonna offer the same if not more game features then P2P mmo's so why pay mothly fee for something GW2 offers free.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

There's hardly any competition for GW's competitive PvP (GvG and the like) but there's quite a few competitors regarding the world PvP (or RvR if you want to call it that). I can't pick any game in particular though.

Main competitor in the PvE side of the game would be Star Wars: The Old Republic since, what I've come to understand, both have a strong emphasis on story.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• vistakahvistakah Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Since GW2 will finally be a MMORPG, what will be it's main Competition, and how do you think it will it effect Guild Wars 2 play style and future development?

If they build it to compete against another game you can place a big FAIL stamp on the game cover. If they build it to improve on the original which i wasn't a huge fan of because of the henchman and the fact that everything was small scaled and worse off instanced then it will be a stand alone success.

Their goal should be fun factor.  Little or no major effort to be able to compete in a PVP world which is what GW is mostly about. Ideally it will be a game with classes anybody can play just like GW1 so you don't have a pile of class balanced whine and cheesers, and a large world that fosters combat similar to how DAOC is laid out. Make it about the game play and not so much the game itself.  I  after many many years of playing grinders will never again play/buy another grind based MMO.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Leucrotta

Nothing will stop players buying guild wars and playing it alongside other mmo's as it is free to play, that imo made gw1 a success.

On the other hand GW2 can be a big competition for all P2P mmo's as what ive read so far GW2 is gonna offer the same if not more game features then P2P mmo's so why pay mothly fee for something GW2 offers free.

Free games tend to draw more riff-raff than P2P's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jotulljotull Member Posts: 256
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Free games tend to draw more riff-raff than P2P's.

Perfect world has one of the nicest most mature communities out ther as does DDO and Runes Of Magic...you were saying?

• ForceQuitForceQuit Member Posts: 350

That's a pretty good assessment, I think.  No one else has quite the monetization model that Arenanet offers.  It won't get in the way of P2P, and yet should be significantly better than most F2P.

So, GW2 should harmonize nicely into its own niche and do quite well for itself.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I'm not sure what their competition will be but Arenanet will prove that you can make a high quality mmo and not have a monthly fee.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

the main  one !lol!from the most unexptected part of the globe!it will probably be from china since blizzard will reash the same old ,(unless they surprise us and bring back world raid .or do some of the instancing or phaze to 1000 of player on a single map!

that hope aside its main competition will be GRAND MUNDO!

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

Dude its time to realize that its no longer a competition in gaming industry, its what people prefer to play. There are so many MMOS that its not about whats best or better its about what you like more. If people still play Anarchy Online, Everquest 1 and UO  then those might as well be a competition to GW2 lol. see my point?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by bambook

Dude its time to realize that its no longer a competition in gaming industry, its what people prefer to play. There are so many MMOS that its not about whats best or better its about what you like more. If people still play Anarchy Online, Everquest 1 and UO  then those might as well be a competition to GW2 lol. see my point?

If your statement is "There is no competition because there is a player group who will play whatever they want disregarding the quality completely", you are wrong. There are people who buy cars in total disregard of how good cars they are. They just happen to favor the brand they are used to. A brand which they have emotional ties.

This demographic is marginal at best. Very small. And no matter how much competition, how much better the competing brand is, they will buy that buy the car they "want". Most people do look at the specs of a car and buy the best. That is why there is competition.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by Quirhid

If your statement is "There is no competition because there is a player group who will play whatever they want disregarding the quality completely", you are wrong. There are people who buy cars in total disregard of how good cars they are. They just happen to favor the brand they are used to. A brand which they have emotional ties.

This demographic is marginal at best. Very small. And no matter how much competition, how much better the competing brand is, they will buy that buy the car they "want". Most people do look at the specs of a car and buy the best. That is why there is competition.

A game is about good features and that you will have fun with the game, if you want a car its about the look and the qality of it. You cant compare a game and a car.You crossed the line.

• aurikenauriken Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by SweetZoid

Originally posted by Quirhid

A game is about good features and that you will have fun with the game, if you want a car its about the look and the qality of it. You cant compare a game and a car.You crossed the line.

wth? i bought my car because it has good features and i can have fun with it. as well as the look and quality. he wasnt comparing, he was using it as an example. you got what he said, but your view is wrong.

i still love playing GW1 because its been good to me, i like working for my titles and see what it brings me in GW2.

i still love driving my S2000 because its been good to me, i like working on my car and see what competition it brings me.

Visayas Finest: Auriken
    Professional, uppin the decibel a decimal above.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

No other mmo offers or has plans to offer a similar level of competition except for maybe Global Agenda, but even it doesn't have a rank based ladder system, or anywhere near the skills / character build options - although real time combat is very unique.

The addition of a persistant world should cater to the many people who whine about instancing, which I see as a serious threat to many of the p2p mmos.

I can see it selling 8 million copies easily.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Guild Wars is very similar to Eve online.

It has no competition.

Guild Wars 2 will be similar to GW1 so I can expect to just buy a game box, expansions and adventure packs.

Only other quality game that does that is DDO but both games are very different.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

they are in a market of their own ,they dont have competition since its bopmt(buy one play multiple time)

yes they ll have what they had in gw like pvp kit ,prob pve kit also this time around to unlock all skill or maybe even crafting

but its not a game breaker!i do hope arenanet charge me at least 5 $ a month(why?)i will garanty good support even when its after its usefull life.wich now is lacking a lot .cant organise  money tournement if you dont have revenue coming in!

thats why i think gw2 should charge 5 $ a month  for event support .they cant even make it optional for those that want to participate in those tournament but the idea is for the pvp to have the continued ressource to be epic!

they might do their version of a e-store game (a la asian)wich wasnt to bad and invasive last time i went in gw

so this time it could be good also!main competition if im truthfull

shenmo

final fantasy 14

thats about it!wow last i checked wasnt avail in asia so it cut them off from lot of gamer

since we know gw was avail in most country (ok maybe not china since they are very protectionist of their part of the world,but i understand china when you have 1300 million citizen ,for them even 1 % of criminal means 13 million criminal so the have to be more severe then the average country.but if you argue in a respectfull matter and dont do mafia like manifestation(union go in the street seed chao,china cant have even one of those, because population could destroy a city and in the aftermat say :what have we done!)chinese can explain their situation .true tho that since nobody argue in a respectfull mather the power at the top got corruted so china ruler might have to implement a system (that people cant be traced back to them ,about complain against

those corrupted chinese gov representative.china look bad when its because of those corrupted official that weir pant of gold and eat diamond like candy!

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Guild Wars is very similar to Eve online.
    It has no competition.
    Guild Wars 2 will be similar to GW1 so I can expect to just buy a game box, expansions and adventure packs.
    Only other quality game that does that is DDO but both games are very different.

if you say GW is similar to EvE, then you can consider Earthrise, because Earthrise is pretty much EvE but you're not controlling a Space Ship

So What Now?

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

GW2s competition will be Eve's Winter expansion and WoW Cataclysm expansion..... but you can play those games alongside GW2 which is always the upside.

This is not a game.

• zollenzollen Member Posts: 351

Will GW2 become a serious competitor of World Of Warcraft? If so, will GW2 be a even more serious contender than GW1 did to WOW?

• Nebojsa15Nebojsa15 Member UncommonPosts: 20

GW2's main competition will probably be Blade and Soul Online and TERA online... all 3 games are coming out at similar times and have a lot to offer. Also i predict that these 3 will probably be 3 of the top 5 mmos for the next few years

• redOrcredOrc Member Posts: 100

The new secrete game from blizard that is going to replace WOW.

It will have lore as GW. Buy the box and any expansions, no monthly fee.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by redOrc

The new secrete game from blizard that is going to replace WOW.
    It will have lore as GW. Buy the box and any expansions, no monthly fee.

But rumor it is Sci-Fi

so basically I see that sliceing a big chuck of its playerbase