Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New iPad - most worthless over priced tech ever released.

2»

Comments

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

Originally posted by sepher

I disagree that the iPad is targeting any kind of professionals whatsoever. Professionals tend to...need productivity. iWorks and an optional keyboard dock isn't going to cut it.

again, some people prefer tablets over laptops especially in the professional world.  Aside from productivity, as far as tablets go this thing is the cream of the crop.  Nothing on the tablet market has this much versitility

and ..I gotta say if you're purchasing this strictly for liesure you got more money than you know what to do wtih.  In that case, stick with a notebook because you'll get more out of it.

Doesn't productivity require software that allows it? What businesses out there are running purely off the App Store suite of offerings? Or iWork?

I get the tablet argument, but people who've preferred tablets already have been and will continue to prefer tablets. Professionals who prefer tablets, will probably prefer a tablet actually capable of productivity.

I for example have a Windows 7 tablet capable of multitouch. I can use Office or Google Docs, I can use iTunes and I can use Kindle, I needn't a special YouTube app to view YouTube, I have Flash so I can look at any video site, and I can do it all through a browser of my choosing including Safari.

For productivity, the iPad definitely isn't something preferable in the realm of tablets. For a leisure device to watch movies on and read books, it may be preferred by those that enjoy Apple's aesthetics.

*edit* theres a new version of  iWork for the ipad that should satisfy most productivity needs.

also theres already quickoffice that allows creation, editing etc. of ms. word docs, excel spread sheets for the iphone.. not that you'll need it on the ipad with iWork but theres been production apps available for some time on the iphone and ipod touch

Pretty backwards however. QuickOffice nor anything from the AppStore is likely to become any company's go to tool for productivity that requires something like it. Nor will iWorks. People used to productivity in an Apple environment have had things like Wine, BootCamp, native versions of Office, etc. Anything less, is backwards. iPad is backwards in that regard.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I disagree that the iPad is targeting any kind of professionals whatsoever. Professionals tend to...need productivity. iWorks and an optional keyboard dock isn't going to cut it.

again, some people prefer tablets over laptops especially in the professional world.  Aside from productivity, as far as tablets go this thing is the cream of the crop.  Nothing on the tablet market has this much versitility

and ..I gotta say if you're purchasing this strictly for liesure you got more money than you know what to do wtih.  In that case, stick with a notebook because you'll get more out of it.

Doesn't productivity require software that allows it? What businesses out there are running purely off the App Store suite of offerings? Or iWork?

I get the tablet argument, but people who've preferred tablets already have been and will continue to prefer tablets. Professionals who prefer tablets, will probably prefer a tablet actually capable of productivity.

I for example have a Windows 7 tablet capable of multitouch. I can use Office or Google Docs, I can use iTunes and I can use Kindle, I needn't a special YouTube app to view YouTube, I have Flash so I can look at any video site, and I can do it all through a browser of my choosing including Safari.

For productivity, the iPad definitely isn't something preferable in the realm of tablets. For a leisure device to watch movies on and read books, it may be preferred by those that enjoy Apple's aesthetics.

*edit* theres a new version of  iWork for the ipad that should satisfy most productivity needs.

also theres already quickoffice that allows creation, editing etc. of ms. word docs, excel spread sheets for the iphone.. not that you'll need it on the ipad with iWork but theres been production apps available for some time on the iphone and ipod touch

Pretty backwards however. QuickOffice nor anything from the AppStore is likely to become any company's go to tool for productivity that requires something like it. Nor will iWorks. People used to productivity in an Apple environment have had things like Wine, BootCamp, native versions of Office, etc. Anything less, is backwards. iPad is backwards in that regard.

it will handle things like contacts, scheduling, email with the ability to modify presentations, documents etc. just like any other tablet.   again, if you need something more than of course.. a notebook is the way to go.  The tablet was never meant to be a replacement for the notebook, nor will this be.  Some people just need a tablet

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

it will handle things like contacts, scheduling, email with the ability to modify presentations, documents etc. just like any other tablet.   again, if you need something more than of course.. a notebook is the way to go.  The tablet was never meant to be a replacement for the notebook, nor will this be.  Some people just need a tablet

Yeah I know, but my point was is that there already exists Windows 7 tablets and there more to come. The form factor isn't a competitive edge for the iPad. Saying its a tablet and that being the reason people will prefer it is akin to saying Mac is a desktop so people will prefer that.

Of course that isn't the case, when features and software are put up for comparison, obviously more opt for Windows than an Apple based system. Windows 7 tablets and iPhone OS tablets (the iPad) will be compared similar to their big brothers, and looking at it from that perspective, Apple is back in the dark ages.

No Intel, no bootcamp. No chance of emulation akin to Wine and other winAPI emulators. No USB or SD, industry standards I'd figure by now, without an adapter. None of your Mac software even unless the developers pipe it through the App Store.

Meanwhile in the Windows 7 tablet world, your tablet can do everything your desktop can do minding hardware capabilities.

The iPad will do well so long as its framed well, and framing it well means seeing it as entirely a device for consumption, not any sort of production. Anyone who misconstrues that baits the comparisons to netbooks, notebooks, and Windows 7 tablets, and when those comparisons are made the iPad has a list of disadvantages and very few real advantages.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Not to mention this thing only accepts certain video encodes. You would have to encode the video just to use it on this thing with a separate computer. This is one of those concepts that will never catch on for $500 we could buy a laptop that can play games, movies in full 1080p without and decoding of the movies into the format needed to just play.

Apple is stupid, also no camera attach are you serious.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I was suprised at how much this thing looks like the iTouch! I thought they had these hip artist/designers that would crank out some crazy looking thing that was new! I wonder how hot this thing gets too. The battery is one thing that confuses me about Apple products. I'm assuming you can't swap it out for a replacement if there is a hardware problem or after a few years.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho

I was suprised at how much this thing looks like the iTouch! I thought they had these hip artist/designers that would crank out some crazy looking thing that was new! I wonder how hot this thing gets too. The battery is one thing that confuses me about Apple products. I'm assuming you can't swap it out for a replacement if there is a hardware problem or after a few years.

Nope. If it has the same limitations as the iPhone, and it looks like it does, you have to get battery replacements at an Apple retail store. Maybe AT&T if they become a vendor for the 3G models. Battery replacement wipes the iPhone clean too, and will probably do the same for the iPad. Maybe one more reason they stuck to the strict synch and AppStore iPhone OS specific way of doing things.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Teala

So Apple releases the iPad.   It has no phone, no camera, no flash capabilities, and is basically an e-reader that can play movies, and music and surf the web.   Big deal, the iPhone does all that.   Why didn't they go ahead and incorperte all the tech that is crammed into an iPhone?   So they can sell you the new version of IPad in 2012 that is all the iPhone is.  That is why.   Apple is notorious for doing this.   Releasing little advances to their tech a little at a time...to keep the money coming in.
    Cool thing is that the iPad will soon become a thing of the past and look archaic compared to what is just around the corner.    Microsoft and Google team up and produce Leo.   A full blown handheld computer that is also a phone, e-reader, watch movies in full 1080 HD on a retractable screen.   Wait and see.   :)  It'll look something like this, but a little bigger, like an IPhone with a smart screen so you can use it like a regular phone when the screen is retracted or use it for video chatting with the screen pulled out.    Touch screen and voice recognition software.  Thing makes anything we currently have look archaic. 

How do I know this?   I ain't telling.

WoW thanks

I was going to ask about this new Apple Ipad http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/64869

but whats this new Google thing you have?

Does it have a camera?

How does the screen work if it not hard? Like can it stiffin up or something?

Cause I dont see reinkels in it.

Also if you're outside, wouldnt the background stuff get all mixed in with the movie you are watching?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by tro44_1

So Apple releases the iPad.   It has no phone, no camera, no flash capabilities, and is basically an e-reader that can play movies, and music and surf the web.   Big deal, the iPhone does all that.   Why didn't they go ahead and incorperte all the tech that is crammed into an iPhone?   So they can sell you the new version of IPad in 2012 that is all the iPhone is.  That is why.   Apple is notorious for doing this.   Releasing little advances to their tech a little at a time...to keep the money coming in.
    Cool thing is that the iPad will soon become a thing of the past and look archaic compared to what is just around the corner.    Microsoft and Google team up and produce Leo.   A full blown handheld computer that is also a phone, e-reader, watch movies in full 1080 HD on a retractable screen.   Wait and see.   :)  It'll look something like this, but a little bigger, like an IPhone with a smart screen so you can use it like a regular phone when the screen is retracted or use it for video chatting with the screen pulled out.    Touch screen and voice recognition software.  Thing makes anything we currently have look archaic. 

WoW thanks

I was going to ask about this new Apple Ipad http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/64869

Does it have a camera?

Also if you're outside, wouldnt the background stuff get all mixed in with the movie you are watching?

Using new tech like ferro fluids will keep it stiff when an electrical charge is applied to it.   Also the screens transparency can be controlled using a similar tech that can align the material embedded behind the screen to control how much light gets through.  It has the ability to be set up on a flat surface and a keyboard will be projected onto the surface so that you can use it as am input device.  Similar to this as you see here.

Cool huh?

Originally posted by tro44_1

WoW thanks

Does it have a camera?

Using new tech like ferro fluids will keep it stiff when an electrical charge is applied to it.   Also the screens transparency can be controlled using a similar tech that can align the material embedded behind the screen to control how much light gets through.  It has the ability to be set up on a flat surface and a keyboard will be projected onto the surface so that you can use it as am input device.  Similar to this as you see here.

Cool huh?

Oh shit thats cool, where can I read up on this development

The device shown in the OP's post is just a mock design from 2006 from some UK guy. http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/google-vision

But such transparent screens are possible. Samsung showed off a notebook with 40% transparency when off at CES a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jECN2NnyM0E

Pretty cool.

As for Microsoft and Google working together on a mobile device; highly unlikely. If Google has things its way, every mobile device will be either an Android or Chrome OS device. Microsoft on the other hand just released Windows 7, and a lot of mobile devices can run the Starter and Home editions. For devices closer to phones, there's Windows Mobile 7 coming out this year.

What I'd like to see from Microsoft is that they merge their Zune and Windows Mobile strategy. Not sure what the hell Google is doing by pushing both ChromeOS and Android, but it doesn't seem they're as interested as Microsoft and Apple in blurring the lines between smartphone and netbook or tablet.

The device shown in the OP's post is just a mock design from 2006 from some UK guy. http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/google-vision
    But such transparent screens are possible. Samsung showed off a notebook with 40% transparency when off at CES a few weeks ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jECN2NnyM0E
    Pretty cool.
    As for Microsoft and Google working together on a mobile device; highly unlikely. If Google has things its way, every mobile device will be either an Android or Chrome OS device. Microsoft on the other hand just released Windows 7, and a lot of mobile devices can run the Starter and Home editions. For devices closer to phones, there's Windows Mobile 7 coming out this year.
    What I'd like to see from Microsoft is that they merge their Zune and Windows Mobile strategy. Not sure what the hell Google is doing by pushing both ChromeOS and Android, but it doesn't seem they're as interested as Microsoft and Apple in blurring the lines between smartphone and netbook or tablet.

oh nice

But whats the closes thing to this tech, and when will it be coming out?

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227

Why the hell would I purchase my textbooks from apple? Even if it is digital, you know it will be at market price.. sorry I rather pay $30 on amazon instead of the $100+ price tag.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

redmondmag.com/articles/2010/02/01/pc-makers-to-challenge-ipad.aspx

In other words, apples one will be an overpriced piece of junk for "hipsters" and jerk off's that sit in coffee houses all day not buying anything except 1 cup of coffee.

If you really felt the need for something that the ipad could do there will be much better choices with many more options..

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

I don't like apple operating systems.
    If I did get some kind of "pad" I'd want it to run windows.
    But I don't see why I need a pad. Why not just get a laptop? 

Imagine getting a BSOD on that :D

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Originally posted by zellmer

redmondmag.com/articles/2010/02/01/pc-makers-to-challenge-ipad.aspx
    In other words, apples one will be an overpriced piece of junk for "hipsters" and jerk off's that sit in coffee houses all day not buying anything except 1 cup of coffee.
    If you really felt the need for something that the ipad could do there will be much better choices with many more options..

So far Acer and I think ASUS already have great tablets out. I have an Acer with Windows 7 multitouch, camera, widescreen, all the other expected things like USB.

Sad that Acer, ASUS and Lenovo don't get much notice in media, and something like the iPad can be announced as if this hasn't already been done; in a much, much, much better and practical capacity.

Once HP, Dell, etc. follow suit though I'm sure PC tablets will gain notice. 'til then the platform is already enjoyable.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

And there enlies the problem. "With the ability to modify presentations"..... presentations that you build on your WINDOWS computer....

error... file format not valid.

Thats apples big issue, they are trying to make there own line of propritary software, that people have already had for 20+ years. 

Example, I have documents on my office computer and my home comuter and my work laptop. All in microsoft word documents.

(that and to get the wifi, 3G, and a 64GB harddrive it'll cost you around $900.00)

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• jason878jason878 Member Posts: 17

For the same price I can get a cheap laptop that can do all those amazing things with the added bonus of having a keyboard that isnt a pile of shit and the ability to play fucking flash.

• santachersantacher Member Posts: 5

I don't like this. I will buy a laptop instead. It's just impractical. What I want is the Nexus 1 google phone. Have you seen it?