Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

help with a class

hey, im coming back to lotro, i have 5 friends joining me so i dont really have to worry about having healers or tanks in my group etc, i am just have trouble picking a class for myself. lotro was the first mmo i played, and i have always wanted to come back to it, because i found the music and settin so immsersive, and just so damn cool.

the first time i played i was a guardian, and i loved it. the second and third time i played i was a hunter which i enjoyed too, though truth be told i prefered the guardian. the only thing put me off playing guardian was when i read the forums and heard champions made a better tank (i dont know if this is true or is still the case) anyway ive been lloking at a few classes for a new character.

ok, so once to get to the point, im definitly coming back to lotro, and i cant decide which class pick from, after reading up on the classes etc, im stuck between a guardian, loremaster, minstrel or runekeeper. im wondering can anyone tell me what the strong points are for which class, and in your own opinion which is more fun.

tyvm, and sorry about spelling or grammer mistakes, ive had a lot of vodka :P

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by pillsaregood

hey, im coming back to lotro, i have 5 friends joining me so i dont really have to worry about having healers or tanks in my group etc, i am just have trouble picking a class for myself. lotro was the first mmo i played, and i have always wanted to come back to it, because i found the music and settin so immsersive, and just so damn cool.
    the first time i played i was a guardian, and i loved it. the second and third time i played i was a hunter which i enjoyed too, though truth be told i prefered the guardian. the only thing put me off playing guardian was when i read the forums and heard champions made a better tank (i dont know if this is true or is still the case) anyway ive been lloking at a few classes for a new character.
    ok, so once to get to the point, im definitly coming back to lotro, and i cant decide which class pick from, after reading up on the classes etc, im stuck between a guardian, loremaster, minstrel or runekeeper. im wondering can anyone tell me what the strong points are for which class, and in your own opinion which is more fun.
    tyvm, and sorry about spelling or grammer mistakes, ive had a lot of vodka :P

I first rolled a Hunter, but I felt like a part of the Grand Clone Army of the Republic. Plus, Hunters suck when taking on multiple mobs, though they're good at single-target takedowns. So I rolled a Warden next. Damn, Wardens are fun. They play like a DPS class, but they're tanks. Combos are fun to string together and you have to stay on your toes, deciding whether to deal damage, boost your defenses, or do a little self-healing to survive as long as possible. This is made harder by the fact that they can't wear Heavy Armor, though their shields help to make up the armor discrepancy.

Overall, I'd suggest a Warden. If you're really set on a Guardian, Loremaster, Minstrel, or Runekeeper, I'd suggest a Minstrel. They seem to be pretty good soloing and the world could always use more healers.

• pillsaregoodpillsaregood Member Posts: 10

cheers for the reply, im not set on those classes, actually the last time i played i think i was around 35, and a level 60 warden helped me witha group quest, and i gotta admit, he looked awesome with his spear/javelon weapon, it looked so much fun, and i read it was pretty interesting to play.

actually ater your reply, i think i might roll a warden and see how it goes, last time i was a guardian i found them weak, but fun, but when i saw that warden he seemed strong (though he was 60 :P)

cheers for the advice man, cant wait for a crack at it now :)

• YamothYamoth Member Posts: 182

I personally play runekeeper and guardian.  Guardian hands down are the best tank in the game and pretty much the reason i play that class.  Runekeeper is my favorite class in Lotro because while it is a mostly damage class, a good enough of a player can heal for the party in most regular instance.  Furthermore, Runekeeper is one of the best if not the best class for soloing.  Your mana regen fast enough so that there is hardly and cool down plus you have a skill that instantly regent mana.  After a fight you can heal yourself right away and keep on trucking.  Best of all, runekeeper have less of a trouble dealing with multiple add because your pet rock can act as an aggro magnet while you deal pick off the adds one at a time.  The only problem in RK is that they don't really shine till you are boss fight.  In regular fight your attunement  never go high or stay high long enough for a person to really appreciate just how destructive a runekeeper can me.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Champions tanking have been nerfed so you dont have to worry about that. Guardians are by far the most wanted tanks in the game. Its still a pretty flexible class (like all LotrO classes) so just play the one you have the most fun with.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• ZilverrugZilverrug Member Posts: 132

Wardens tank very well and are fun to play!

Guardians are the tanks most in demand, though. Guardian tanking is better for very hard hitting single targets and easier for the remainder of the fellowship (wardens need more time to build aggro; guardians can force it).

A WOW analogy: warden tanking is somewhat like protection paladin tanking, guardian tanking is like protection warrior tanking.