Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE that's fun

LailoskeLailoske Member Posts: 11

I just subscribed to the game a few days ago after getting burned out a few times in the trial and I'm slowly growing tired of mission running again. While I would like to do some PvP, I'd also like to mix it up with some PvE that's actually fun and rewarding.

I've been thinking about joining a 0.0 corp but is there actually any PvE besides ratting that's fun and somewhat comparable to mission running in isk/hour income? I was reading up a bit on exploration and found that interesting. Is exploration of combat sites in 0.0 good income? How does it compare to wormholes?

Comments

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Even though it could be added without detracting from the game already in place whatsoever, it would never be allowed by the community which would go into a frothing uproar about "CAREBEARS" and "EVE RUINED FOREVER" because there would suddenly be something other to do than amass wealth and grief each other. Prepare to simply be mocked and told that "you're just not doing missions right" or how its fun anyway you just don't get it. 

Exploration is not the answer unfortunately. Basic exploration is just spamming an obnoxious probe minigame over and over and finding the same 5 instanced little pockets of boring crap, only 2 of which are of any actual value. Wormholes require a group effort from your corp and, with rare exceptions, most corps consider WHs too big a risk to bother with of course. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Fun? We'll have none of that in EVE. You take your pansy ass fun elsewhere you hear?

I kid really =P

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Exploration in null sec is what your looking for. The early missions, levels 1-3, are boring and almost worthless. The only point in running them is to get to level 4 missions. While similar to the first 3 levels, level 4's are much harder and more fun.

Exploration site are all over EVE but only low and null sec sites are worth the time isk wise. The biggest difference over regular missions is that pirates are always on the lookout for Exploration runners and this adds a great deal of danger and risk.

Wormhole exploration is very profitable but there are two main problems there. First, these site are almost impossible to run solo as the npc's there are very tough. Second, and related, you really need to be stationed full time in a WH with friends to take advantage of these sites. This means you will be cut off from the rest of the EVE universe.

While the first 3 mission levels are boring, It's important to get to level 4. There are ways to speed this process up skills and special missions sites that increase standing, but it's still a pain.

As with all things EVE, the best approach is to have a plan and a few friends to help.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Eve pve and in general ship combat is very poor.

I want it to be fun ... but its not.

They should overhaul combat in eve i know you would get some qq but honestly, whats good about eve is the control/corp/ship outfits/economy/pvp system none of these would have to change at all with a combat overhaul.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

The only fun I've had doing PvE in Eve has been doing wormholes as a team with my old corp.

If I was forced to run missions or mine, I wouldn't even log in.

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

PvE in EvE has the only purpose to generate income and salvage-materials.

You could make PvE more fun, if you make the Ai more intelligent and less in numbers, but that's all actually.

EvE simply isn't ment to be a PvE-game. It's all about PvP.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Kordesh
    Prepare to simply be mocked and told that "you're just not doing missions right" or how its fun anyway you just don't get it. 

Actually, it's you who should prepare to be mocked and ridiculed for making a dumb post.

Originally posted by Lailoske
    While I would like to do some PvP, I'd also like to mix it up with some PvE that's actually fun and rewarding.

You should join a 0.0 / wormhole / militia corp then.

PvE in Eve is a means to an end and has only recently started to become a focus for ccp. Some of the PvE against sleepers can be very interesting (until you figure out how they work, but they're still challenging), mostly because they practically require teamwork. You just can't solo most of the stuff in wormholes.

0.0 exploration is meh. There are a few reasons for it: Materials gained from a large chunk of those plexes has been falling in price for years, making them worthless as the market is overly saturated. I can count the few worthwhile plexes on one hand, although there are racial differences. It's more about actually finding those sites that force you to travel, often into territory not covered by your own alliance where you're practically on your own. I had some fun dodging enemy roaming gangs with my cargo full of loot.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

An overhaul of ratting, mining and missioning is long, long overdue. They are, frankly, boring as hell, and there's a lot that could be done to make them better.

The OMG U CAREBAR objections are not made to those who want PvE to be more fun, but those who want it to be 100% safe, non-competitive and even more lucrative.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Malcanis

An overhaul of ratting, mining and missioning is long, long overdue. They are, frankly, boring as hell, and there's a lot that could be done to make them better.
    The OMG U CAREBAR objections are not made to those who want PvE to be more fun, but those who want it to be 100% safe, non-competitive and even more lucrative.

Strangely enough, i find mission running pretty fun, even though I've done it on and off for over 2.5 years.  Secret is to not do the same thing all the time, so I've taken breaks from it with forays out into 0.0 where I ratted npc's and drones all the while keeping a sharp eye on local, or spent some time in wormholes battling sleepers (not for the new player to EVE though.

Did some exploring, market trading but never any mining, (outside of some gas harvesting in WH's) as I find that terribly dull, though many people seem to enjoy it along with industry, another field not really for me.

I think EVE's PVE is quite engaging actually, except in one area of comparison,  that being it doesn't have any decent questing a la most modern games.  That's OK, WOW, WAR, LotRO, Aion have all cured me of questing, chasing after 10 boars is not any different that running the same miission for the 135th time, but at least the ISK I earn in EVE pays the bills for PVP.

And PVP is where it really is at, even though I'm more carebear than killer, without the thrill of the PVP (even though I manage to avoid it) no game has any sort of appeal to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Exactly, I see even the most devout EVE fans (here, at least) admitting that PvE pretty much sucks. I hardly doubt they'd complain if CCP decided to improve it - unless, like you said, it becomes 100% safe, non-competitive, and more lucrative.

Besides what's already available, what could they add, though? They have kill missions, courier missions, mob hunting, exploration/group mobs... pretty much everything that every other game has. Perhaps more variety in the missions, or dynamic missions with multiple/shifting objectives? I don't know.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Exactly, I see even the most devout EVE fans (here, at least) admitting that PvE pretty much sucks. I hardly doubt they'd complain if CCP decided to improve it - unless, like you said, it becomes 100% safe, non-competitive, and more lucrative.

Besides what's already available, what could they add, though? They have kill missions, courier missions, mob hunting, exploration/group mobs... pretty much everything that every other game has. Perhaps more variety in the missions, or dynamic missions with multiple/shifting objectives? I don't know.

They could improve the NPCs themselves to be more game-realistic, more intelligent, fewer in number, more diverse in type rather than simply being bigger = more DPS = more tank = more ISK.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Comnitus

They could improve the NPCs themselves to be more game-realistic, more intelligent, fewer in number, more diverse in type rather than simply being bigger = more DPS = more tank = more ISK.

Whatever you say, I'm still a noob lol.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Strangely enough, i find mission running pretty fun, even though I've done it on and off for over 2.5 years.  Secret is to not do the same thing all the time, so I've taken breaks from it with forays out into 0.0 where I ratted npc's and drones all the while keeping a sharp eye on local, or spent some time in wormholes battling sleepers (not for the new player to EVE though.

Did some exploring, market trading but never any mining, (outside of some gas harvesting in WH's) as I find that terribly dull, though many people seem to enjoy it along with industry, another field not really for me.

I think EVE's PVE is quite engaging actually, except in one area of comparison,  that being it doesn't have any decent questing a la most modern games.  That's OK, WOW, WAR, LotRO, Aion have all cured me of questing, chasing after 10 boars is not any different that running the same miission for the 135th time, but at least the ISK I earn in EVE pays the bills for PVP.

And PVP is where it really is at, even though I'm more carebear than killer, without the thrill of the PVP (even though I manage to avoid it) no game has any sort of appeal to me.

I wouldn't use word like fun and engaging, but I do find that I dislike caldari missiles allot more than PVE. As long as you take breaks, mix up the type and don't fly caldari, It's not that bad. It's just PVE and EVE's not really a PVE game.

Originally posted by qazyman

Originally posted by Kyleran

Delete DP

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501
    Originally posted by Lailoske

I just subscribed to the game a few days ago after getting burned out a few times in the trial and I'm slowly growing tired of mission running again. While I would like to do some PvP, I'd also like to mix it up with some PvE that's actually fun and rewarding.

I've been thinking about joining a 0.0 corp but is there actually any PvE besides ratting that's fun and somewhat comparable to mission running in isk/hour income? I was reading up a bit on exploration and found that interesting. Is exploration of combat sites in 0.0 good income? How does it compare to wormholes?

The best PvE in EVE is when you create your own mission.  Go to a 0.0 location that is NRDS, or better yet a place that is blue to your corp/alliance (if possible).  Move an industrial ship there along with your combat ship.  Rat 0.0 belts and scan down Rat plexes.  Take all the loot back to station and load up Indy ship.  Fly to empire and make tens of millions in just an hour or two.  This combines combat and trade into one.  Its risky, fun and profitable.

Anything in EVE that is 'hand-holding' in nature is not the most fun the game has to offer.  Setting up in WH space is fun, exploiting 0.0 resources and selling them to Empire is fun.  Mission grinding is fun to a certain extent, but after a while it is rinse and repeat and ceases to be fun.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Yea, running missions does get boring.  And it gets even more boring once your on about 2-3 Billion isk in the wallet.

Might I suggest Faction Warfare ?

- Faction Warfare is based in low-sec, so could be very close to your high-sec mission running agents

- FW Also has special FW agents which give you missions in low-sec.  Might seem dangerous but the LP you get opens up a store which has special Faction Items in (very profitable) and usually corps run these missions together.

- Cheap,  FW is cheap most people run around in T1/T2 frigates and cruisers.  Personally I have a Minmatar Alt thats in FW, he has about 50 fitted rifters dotted around low sec.  I just buckle up, undock and blow stuff up, and dont really care If I blow up either.

If you look about for a FW corp just look for once that does a lot of mission running.

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

If you want to have fun with the PvE, don't focus your build towards a specific goal like flying a HAC or the like.  Generalize your build.

Play with trading a bit.  Try out some research & manufacturing.  Do some missions, some ratting, give a shot at exploring, etc...

Mass portions of the game are PvE oriented and there's a hell of a lot of it out there but to be good at any given aspect requires focus.  So if you want to try sampling a bit, go for it and see what all the different areas have to offer.

For those that doubt about the PvE side:  How come there are over 7,500 systems in the game, only 1,200 of them are highsec and 70% of the population stays in the highsec?  "they're afraid!!!"  sure and so they sit there, in fear, never going beyond the place...  Doing what for months and years of play?

So yeah, PvE in EVE is very active and popular with a wide variety of it to choose from.  Either spec and focus on goals or generalize, relax and have some fun.  It's your call and it is just a game.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

yes!in wow it would be like staying in the beginner zone !you would miss out on 80 % of the real action!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://www.youtube.com/user/z0rb1n0#p/a/u/0/OKhBtw-FMdo

as you can see from the date the star chart is in its very early stage!