Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a game has multiple instances can it still be considered a MMO?

MattDaddy10MattDaddy10 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Instances suck.  If you can only play with a few people at once please tell me how it is a MMO.  They should just be called MO's (multiplayer online). STO is a MO, GW is a MO, Champions is a MO, etc....so is it false advertising to call these games MMO's?  I think so and it should be stopped.  Just advertise your games as TRULY MASSIVE or NOT.  No more B.S.

Comments

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by MattDaddy10

Instances suck.  If you can only play with a few people at once please tell me how it is a MMO.  They should just be called MO's (multiplayer online). STO is a MO, GW is a MO, Champions is a MO, etc....so is it false advertising to call these games MMO's?  I think so and it should be stopped.  Just advertise your games as TRULY MASSIVE or NOT.  No more B.S.

i agree and lot of gamer have been singing that tune too

i suggest we rename that part of the market,since mmo and mo are all and the same

come up with a new term to describe this

minimum of a 1500 player/map,phaze,node,jita,instance,dungeon or whatever they want to call them!

• RealmLordsRealmLords Member Posts: 358

At least YoVille actually has openworld multi-player areas :-)

Ken

www.ActionMMORPG.com
    One man, a small pile of money, and the screwball idea of a DIY Indie MMORPG? Yep, that's him. ~sigh~

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If a game is called an MMO, the average gamer knows it will be online and have a few hundred or more people on each server. The term conveys exactly what it needs to convey to the majority of the target audience, and that includes the acronym purists that feel the MMO pool has now become polluted.

Since the average normal gamer knows what it refers to and you, despite your loathing for how horribly misused you feel the acronym has become, also know what it refers to, there doesn't seem any reason to change it. If a slew of sub-classifications to the root MMO were created, it would simply confuse the normal gamer and probably just create a whole different battlefield of argument for the acronym purists that wanted it changed to begin with.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

If a game is called an MMO, the average gamer knows it will be online and have a few hundred or more people on each server. The term conveys exactly what it needs to convey to the majority of the target audience, and that includes the acronym purists that feel the MMO pool has now become polluted.
    Since the average normal gamer knows what it refers to and you, despite your loathing for how horribly misused you feel the acronym has become, also know what it refers to, there doesn't seem any reason to change it. If a slew of sub-classifications to the root MMO were created, it would simply confuse the normal gamer and probably just create a whole different battlefield of argument for the acronym purists that wanted it changed to begin with.

they added the word MASSIVE exactly because everybody knew what a multiplayer online game was !

but since multiplayer online leave all the massive player out industry twisted the meaning so now be it mo or mmo

its all the same.once in a while we get true

MMO :EVE

AIKA etc but the vast majority are just multiplayer online

multiplayer say it all look in the dictionary!why they use massive its not needed .lol

anyway best bet is for gamer to use another term to describe what they mean a word so different that the industry wont be able to meld mmo and mo together and make believe player gained something !

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Exactly. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me awake nights. /sarcasm off.

Originally posted by grandpagamer

we just say this because if you pay for a pizza you want to eat a pizza not spagetti lol!

if i pay for a game expecting x style its not i was just robed of my money because that game is uselless to me since i dont like that kind

try M.A.G i ear its a good mmorpg!

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

I am going to use Aoc the example

Massive-Lot players in playing the game in Aoc case about 100,000. 100k is massive amount of people

Multiplayer-more than two players playing together

Online- Connected through the internet

Player need to stop making up definition,Star Trek is mmo,Champions is mmo,Aoc is mmo.There is  no magic number  that makes a game an mmo.Mag can hold 256 in battle does that mean WoW is not mmo because it can't do that?

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Cut 'n paste.

I'd still call Battlefield more of an mmo than a few of those listed.

The idea of congruent users on a server only goes so far as to how those server stacks are built and data is shared. The best difference they have going for them is the idea that all users can move freely across server fragments within a server to meet and greet, which really isn't much different at all because you have the same damn loading screens as if you just swapped servers in BF.

It is in fact no different, or the difference is purely a cosmetic aspect.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

we should just strip the "Massive" and "Roleplaying Game" thing out of MMO's and just start calling everything a multiplayer game. 

sure, shove it into the same genre as halo and team fortress.  theyre all the same game, right?

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Hehe, I sure get worked up about it. I even make internet forum posts and rant about it.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by arenasb

Hehe, I sure get worked up about it. I even make internet forum posts and rant about it.

Oh I know why its upsetting and the worst part is it seems to be the formula most MMO's are using. I try and do as much research as I can before buying a game and in truth havnt purchased an MMO since 2008. I may take a peak at SWTOR  but for me it has been single player games (ive fallen in love with my PS3) and most likely will continue to be for sometime.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Well an honest answer from me is that I don't care about what label the game has. Is the game enjoyable to play? That is all I care about it. I just find it odd that people get in such a tizzy about the label of a game.

Originally posted by Rayx0r

we should just strip the "Massive" and "Roleplaying Game" thing out of MMO's and just start calling everything a multiplayer game. 
    sure, shove it into the same genre as halo and team fortress.  theyre all the same game, right?

mm and i bet halo reach will have more chance of being an mmo then 80 % of all mo coming out

mo=lot of player online but not many per map

mmo lot of player online and lot of player per map!

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

It can still be considered an MMO.

Every people enjoy different games though.  Some enjoy instance, some don't.  Just because you personally felt instance suck, don't mean everyone felt the same.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

To understand when MMORPG came into being (the term, not a specific game), you have to look at your gaming history.  Instancing isn't a factor in the term MMORPG.   You don't like it?  Who cares.  Find something you do like and then do it.  I would also suggest getting more real activities in your life so that if mmorpgs no longer appeal to you you will have other options and less emo feelings about your lost love.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Yes, games with instancing can be considered MMOs.

For every angry "I hate instancing!" forum rant, there's a crapload of players who enjoy instancing every day and have for years.

Instancing lets developers create content in a controllable environment without having to deal with the unwanted external variables that always arose from large-scale open world content. Griefers, gankers, kill stealers, trainers .. these are the people you need to thank for the creation of the instancing mechanic and heh, now that we have it .. it ain't going anywhere.

'cos we like it.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • Oblivi0nOblivi0n Member Posts: 58

I agree.  Limited instances for a few dungeons or raids or whatever is one thing, but once the whole game revolves around it, it ends up ruining any immersion the game has, and simply put, it's not fun, at least not for me.

I enjoy the giant sandboxes much more.

A lot of people saying 24 people in a single game is an MMO, I disagree completely.  If that's your stance, you would also rope every FPS out there into an MMO, or even the diablos, because they do the exact same thing.  Go to a lobby, then join 20 other people.  Not an MMO at all.  We'll just have to start calling them the "guild wars mmos"

If you can't fit 100s of people into the area, it's not really an MMO.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Please people stop with trying to make it sound as if Guildwars is trying to be a MMORPG, it is and a quote from their own website : Guild Wars® is an online roleplaying game. That's it, it doesn't say it's a MMORPG it say's it's a Online Roleplaying game, okay now that's out of the way. And nope I aint  even playing GW, have done so a few months when the original was released but never been back since.

If a game has multiple instances can it still be considered a MMO?

Yes it still can be considered a MMORPG, but will agree that if the game has no central hubs where hunderds/thousands if not million of people can come together, then I agree it's just a Online Game in my own opinion. I often from games I actually played felt they felt more like Online Action Games then in how I like my MMORPG to be a MMORPG. But hey I am a niche gamer when it comes to MMORPG and definitly know that I want others things from my MMORPG experiance then what the majority is looking for. As Fallen Earth is the first MMORPG since years that has captured me in the way I want my MMORPG experiance to be as it totally suites the playstyle I want from it.

Can I personaly consider STO a MMORPG?, not able to answer as I have spend to little time with the game and the time spend didn't click with me, but I see many people do enjoy the game for what it is, but from me no judgement other then the game didn't suite the playstyle I have and want when playing a MMORPG.

Overall I always with what ever product from what ever industry take advertising with a grain of salt, hardly ever is advertising completely thruthfull, I always if I want to form a opinion on what ever product, game, industry want to do so from first hand experiance. But regardless what my opinion might be it is just that "my opinion" and no hard fact as times have changed so has this industry, we can either addept to the way it is or keep looking for that ONE game that capture's us again, I have found mine since years as explained above.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

When I look at an MMORPG today I assume it's an instanced turd, a loading screen fest with a DEV team telling me about "You will have EPICCCCCCC battles against HUNDREDS of other players online!" AKA you'll be sat in a shitty lag fest with 10 other suckers that are bored stiff! Also  "Will you solve the mystery of the land of Ahahhsacruoytog and dicover the long lost chalice of the people of Ubotxus?" AKA do the shitty quest line to level up in one week and get the same gear as every other bored player.

There are alot of CORPGs dressed up as MMORPGs because the consumer for the most part gets a brain ache when trying to understand the difference "Ohhh it hurts my head to think, I'll go back to WoW and spam two keys for a few hours that should cure it!". Also the companies want to stick that MMORPG tag on it as they're more likley to sell more, a bit like a fast food resteraunt we have in this city called "Ken's Fried Chicken". It has a very familiar red and white logo and I think you get the idea right?

Do your research, that's why I come to the forums here. I was dumb once but never again, I saw STO on the shelves when out shopping with my son yesterday. I picked up the box and smirked, damn that game looked pretty ****ing sweet! If I wasn't on this site most days I'd have probably bought it and been another proud member of instance #7142 of Suckered Tadger Online!

Agricola.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

So aside from PvP or RvR... Epic batttle, hundreds will storm the front bleh...

In a game like EQ2 perhaps. When do you play together with more than say 25 people? I mean the points are valid, you don't have huge amounts of players in one spot in an instanced game. But if it's a PvE game, who cares? People are scattered and usually team up in packs of no more than some 20ish players anyways.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well where they get away with it is they do have areas,where tons can congregate at once.However if the game design forces or directs you to constantly enter instances then no it is not a MMO and it definitely is not a RPG,unless you are roleplaying an instance traveler lol.

Rather than take ideas like FFXI where you have Besieged and Campaign where everyone can join the battles against the Beastmen mobs,Blizzard tries to incorporates Battlegrounds,more instance junk.What is bad about both FFXI and Blizzard ideas,is the whimp mode of no death penalty,FFXI does have a possible penalty if you don't have the signet or get a raise,but it pretty much copies WOW's no risk for taking part.IMO you cannot call it death with zero risk or penalty,witch imo is VERY dumb,should just call it respawn.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

I never liked instancing in MMOs, and I also mean instanced dungeons. But they unload the servers and devs dont need to make much content (since 1 dungeon is enough for 100 groups, not just 1 or 2).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most games are very instanced now and should still be considered MMOs for that. How many outdoors bosses do Wow have? Not many, all are in instanced dungeons.

I personally dislike that, if you have all dungeons instanced you could at least have a lot larger server capacity like Guildwars, but even then is it annoying to me.

A mix of instanced areas and open are the best, if all places are open will the contest for a boss be too large, or the respawn times will be too short. If all dungeons are instanced will you lose some of the feeling of an alive world where there are more people than you and your group.

And open zones should have enough bosses and harder content to be interesting. 

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

People often get their knickers in a twist over what "massively multiplayer" means. Some argue that a game with that description on the box cannot and must not in any circumstances be soloed as that is a clear breach of the core design, others argue that if a game has even just one instance it cannot be considered as falling into that category. For some it signifies their entire social life. For others it's just a computer game which they play sitting alone at their computer and in which they may or may not interract with others as the mood takes them.

Fact is, all "massively multiplayer" means is that you will play the game on a server with a lot of other people. To what extent you interract with them in and out of combat, in and out of the same area, socially or otherwise,  is entirely up to you. Instancing makes no difference to that whatsoever.

• rscott6666rscott6666 Member Posts: 192

Almost all MMORPGS are instanced.  Its just a matter of degree.  EQ for instance had instances.  They called them 'servers'.  So i played on the Bristlebane instance, but other played on different instances.