Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trial upgrade question

Okay, explain this to me. I just realized I can't get off the newbie island in Vanguard if I don't subscribe (which sucks). I can upgrade to a subscription for $15 at SOE. Or I can buy Vanguard for ~$5 from Amazon or Gogamer, and does that come with the typical 30 days free, and would that apply to my trial? Or I can buy Vanguard digitally, again from SOE, for $40 (why would I do this?).

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Just start paying the monthly fees. I am pretty sure that you need a new account if you buy the game from amazone and you don't need to buy it from SOE.

They don't advertise it but you can start paying with any game after the trial instead of buying the game, this might be a problem in EQ 1 & 2 where you don't get the latest expansion included but in VG it works fine.

Or you can buy a Station account and get alll their games for 30 bucks a month, no need to buy anything. 

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I'm sure you can add a cd-key to already existing account that should instantly turn your trial account into full account adding 30 free days.

REALITY CHECK

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

when I tried it for my 3rd account (yeah, I 4 boxed in VG, quite successfully) I had to pay for the trial to keep the account going, tried adding a cd key and it said there was already a vg account registered to that station login (which is why the extra disk I bought became a 4th account as a 2nd dps class).

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.

In your Sony Station Account page - among the links there's "Enter Activation Code" - which should give you a page where you put in the cd-key.

Enter Activation Code

If you wish to activate a game, expansion, game item, pre-paid game card or similar item, select the related game then enter the code below.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by blackthornn

when I tried it for my 3rd account (yeah, I 4 boxed in VG, quite successfully) I had to pay for the trial to keep the account going, tried adding a cd key and it said there was already a vg account registered to that station login (which is why the extra disk I bought became a 4th account as a 2nd dps class).

I didnt try it. If this is true then ignore my replies completely. The page is there tho, and would be weird to not allow to upgrade trial account with a cd-key. You might contact SoE live support - they are usually very helpful.

REALITY CHECK

• zhandaozhandao Member Posts: 46

Eh.  I don't feel like I get a good feel of Vanguard with the trial, because it's so linear.  Should've just bought the $5 in the first place.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

If anything Vanguard is not linear!    Yes the Trial Island is linear.. but is a tutorial.  

Once you get off the island its not linear;  even if you want to just level up there are usually 3 different epic quests to take at each level.  And if your not just i
    a hurry to level up.. there is so much content I have still not done it all after playing for 3 years.

Originally posted by morpin

If anything Vanguard is not linear!    Yes the Trial Island is linear.. but is a tutorial.  
    Once you get off the island its not linear;  even if you want to just level up there are usually 3 different epic quests to take at each level.  And if your not just i
    a hurry to level up.. there is so much content I have still not done it all after playing for 3 years.

I agree, which is why I feel like I've wasted time playing the trial, and now I have to spend $15 to REALLY trial the game.  Or I could've spent $5 in the first place and just get the game with 30 days free.  Meh.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

If you got the lucky charm which you get when you complete all the adventuring quests on the island, then you have not wasted your time.   Most veterans these days will do the trial island when starting an ALT just to get that, because it is one of the best pieces of gear in the game.

It's a waste of time in that I wanted to find out what the game is like through a trial, not get uber loot.