Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ENDLESS grind.

13»

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by svann

It seems like we are talking about two different things here.  Some say "I dont want a grind I want to have fun", and others say "all mmo's have grind, the trick is to make the grind fun".  It seems like one person means "boring stale long process all the same" and the other means just doing the same thing over and over.  I suggest that when we are talking about grind meaning the stupid boring content that has no thought in it we start calling it the "boring grind" and the other people can call it "fun grind".  That way everyone knows what we mean.

The thing about grinding is, whats boring to you may be fun to me. Its not possible to find a grind that everyone enjoys so you cant separate it to a fun grind and boring grind since it depends on the player.

IMO the text in the red is the only way to approach "the grind".

You could also say that some people like some books and some like other books.  That does not change the fact that some writers are just bad writers.  In the same way there is content that many people dont mind doing over and over and other content that most agree is just crappy and not well thought out.  Bad writing.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by svann

You could also say that some people like some books and some like other books.  That does not change the fact that some writers are just bad writers.  In the same way there is content that many people dont mind doing over and over and other content that most agree is just crappy and not well thought out.  Bad writing.

But if ttheres a group of people who like the books by the bad writers, who are we to say that since we dont like the book will just classify it as a crappy book. Example: AoC, I think that game is the biggest steaming pile of vial rotten pig feces to ever be produced. For some reason people like the game and still play.  We just cant say "ok since I dont like AoC well just put it in the bad MMO category" Just like you cant separate good grind and bad grind, because not everyone is the same. Some people loved FFXI's level system while others hated it. So How are you going to say its a good grind or bad grind while speaking for everyone? You cant!

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Stop the whine about the grind. MMOs aren't meant to be finished within 2 weeks. I personally enjoyed my time in FFXI because there was always something to do in the game.  Who knows how long it will take someone to reach max level but who really cares if you are having fun.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Stop the whine about the grind. MMOs aren't meant to be finished within 2 weeks. I personally enjoyed my time in FFXI because there was always something to do in the game.  Who knows how long it will take someone to reach max level but who really cares if you are having fun.

But only at max level you can have fun.. everyone should know this by now!

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Albytaps
    I sure hope it's the same, but if you research a little you'll find out quests are easier to grab and you can solo efficiently.  I just hope they make it so there is a reason to group.  I don't mind the grind, it was getting into that grind that I hated.  Last time I played FFXI I spent 2 hours in Jueno as a 55 WHM spamming LFG.... and I was a damn good WHM.

At 55+ Whm's aren't needed as much there are alot of other healing solutions, thats the problem that happens. I was a 62 whm and I had issues getting parties as well cuz they'd all rather a rdm+bard combo. Best advice I can give is make your own parties it'll be faster usually.

I am worried they will make it too solo friendly, I like FFXI because the game is not bascally a single player game till X level (like WoW and most mmo's out). I hope they make exp grouping far higher than what you can get solo. I'd like solo to be an option but not such a good option people prefer it over partying.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by scythe99
    I am worried they will make it too solo friendly, I like FFXI because the game is not bascally a single player game till X level (like WoW and most mmo's out). I hope they make exp grouping far higher than what you can get solo. I'd like solo to be an option but not such a good option people prefer it over partying.

So basically how XI is like now? There's a good chance they'll make it something like that. 

People fine that they never get enough exp solo, but in the end it's pretty balanced option and everyone still wants to group upif they have enough time for it.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

I sure hope it's the same, but if you research a little you'll find out quests are easier to grab and you can solo efficiently.  I just hope they make it so there is a reason to group.  I don't mind the grind, it was getting into that grind that I hated.  Last time I played FFXI I spent 2 hours in Jueno as a 55 WHM spamming LFG.... and I was a damn good WHM.

At 55+ Whm's aren't needed as much there are alot of other healing solutions, thats the problem that happens. I was a 62 whm and I had issues getting parties as well cuz they'd all rather a rdm+bard combo. Best advice I can give is make your own parties it'll be faster usually.

I dont know what it is like now but when I played it was extremely hard to get a brd and rdm in one group. Brds much prefered the burn parties like manaburn. And trying to convince the RDM that he was going to be the healer was like pulling teeth.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

I dont know what it is like now but when I played it was extremely hard to get a brd and rdm in one group. Brds much prefered the burn parties like manaburn. And trying to convince the RDM that he was going to be the healer was like pulling teeth.

I can tell you that a while after ToAU that capped/merit PTs basically had to consist of a RDM and BRD. People would bitch otherwise(heck most people whine to have 2 bards). i was a RDM 2x to 75 and later on near my second time you pretty much became the main heal for quite a while, sometimes being the only real mage.

Originally posted by zanfire

I can tell you that a while after ToAU that capped/merit PTs basically had to consist of a RDM and BRD. People would bitch otherwise(heck most people whine to have 2 bards). i was a RDM 2x to 75 and later on near my second time you pretty much became the main heal for quite a while, sometimes being the only real mage.

Oh, I didnt know it changed to that style of gameplay I think I stopped playing about 4-6 months after ToAU was released, been so long ago, hard to remember. But that makes sense as to why I didnt know it changed to that style of play. Even tho I knew from early on that brd and rdm was one hell of a set up, and when I made a pt I always tried to get those two together, but it was far from standard then.